• Please log in to reply
981 replies to this topic

#701 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 09:11 AM

Releasing a season a month or two before the second season comes out is pretty standard, not too surprised by it.

Ive preoredered it. I want the bonus features, and like having physical media in case I cant have a particular streaming service anymore.

#702 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:44 PM

Not interested in watching it even for free. Jury is out on any new Star Trek projects until we get more info. If they screw up the new Patrick Stewart Star Trek series then I guess it will be time to resign from Star Trek fandom. I hope all of the young people that they are marketing this show to have enough money to keep the franchise afloat because they have lost many of the long time , older fans that incidentally, have disposable cash to spend.

#703 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:56 AM

Statistically... younger people spend more on such things... even if they don't have as much disposable cash. Its why the 18-30 demographic is what they shoot for. 

I hate to say it, but as older fans we aren't what they are aiming for and are kinda irrelevant. 

#704 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:25 AM

Older fans are also literally dying off. So there's that.

Older fans who complain that Trek should be on network television also seem to have forgotten how many times networks have canceled Star Trek series.

Trek has managed to successfully appeal to the next generation before. Like it or not Discovery seems to be doing the same.

#705 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:20 AM

They appealed to the next generation without changing the core of Star Trek though. I was a fan of Star Trek long before TNG came out and I could tell that what made Star Trek , Star Trek was still there in the TNG. I don't see that in Discovery.The BSG reboot is a good example of how Hollywood can take a noble,positive show that made a distinction between the good and bad guys,and turn it into a show with all bad guys, just varying degrees of bad.I despise shows like that, especially when they take a wonderful show and turn it into a dark, brooding show full of bad guys with no hope or positivity.Its no wonder that our society is full of people that suffer from depression, anxiety and a multitude of other disorders when nearly everything on TV and movies focuses on doom , despair, and emotional distress. Can we please go back to where we can look to a future full of Hope for a better place like we saw in TOS? Even the Star Wars franchise has turned to crap with them turning a hero like Luke Skywalker into the mess he is now. Do people honestly only want depressing shows now?

#706 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:33 PM

I disagree with your assessment of the BSG reboot, I didn't see it full of bad guys, but you like what you like and I like what I like so thats fine. I guess you didn't see the last Jedi... so spoiler alert... Lukes dead... so we don't have to worry about what a mess he turned into. 

Personally I like a mix... and I want a good coherent story no matter what.

Deadpool was an indication that everything in the comic book genre that was getting so dark and serious... wasn't what everyone wanted... I think 1) people do want something with a lighter fare and more optimistic, and 2) hopefully the pendulum is swinging back that way, 3) maybe S2 of DISCO will go there. 

#707 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

Do people honestly only want depressing shows now?

I think it's more the critics who favor dark/depressing shows. Anything that makes _them_ sound smart and deep get's high praise, while everything else is either trashed or declared as for kids. Just look at The Orville. Critics destroyed it. But the audience reacted well to it, so well, that Discovery is trying to copy some of it's humor now. So, basically the fake-trek shows the real trek how to trek. Kinda ironic.

Personally I have no problems with dark - as long as there is soul and heart behind it, as long as a writer has actually something to say and knows how to say it. DS9 had something to say and said it well. nBSG had something to say and said it well. Discovery... I don't think they had something to say so far and even if they had, they don't seem to understand the language, only the terminology. All I hear is a whole lot of nothing and the rest is gibberish.

"Hey, let's write about a war. Dunno. Just... war. Wait, this is boring. Let's go to the mirror universe instead. Just because. Well, okay, that's cheesy. Only a couple of episodes left anyway. Let's get back to that shitty war and end the season."

For the Picard show I hope they have something more than "hey, you know what would be cool? Bringing back Patrick Steward. Somehow. In some... capacity."

#708 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:02 AM

Your on my wavelength Damon1984. 

#709 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:48 AM

I still think Discovery's season one story suffered from Fuller leaving, and them being too far along to change everything. 

Hopefully season two is more cohesive, and the showrunners getting booted again doesn't have a similar effect. I'm much more intrigued by the story they've teased for season two than I was for the war story of season one. 

#710 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 03:57 AM

Agreed Alteran195... it seems like they dropped sub-plots that Fuller had in mind. 

#711 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:06 PM

Entertainment is escapism.

The overall tone of society dictates what most people are looking to get away from. If real life seems tense and grim then familiar, lighter fare will rule. When times are more optimistic, dark and gritty is fun because it's so far removed from reality.

Look at the rise and fall of The Walking Dead.

#712 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:39 AM

Hmmm pretty subjective... and I guess that it might be a bit relative then too? because if true then if your more generally optimistic your implying that you'd like darker grittier fare... and vice versa... and I don't know that true for most people... or are you suggesting that rule only works on a macro level? 

Still an interesting concept... I may have to mull that one over more!

#713 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 05:49 PM

Season Two Trailer:

Holy shit, D7, Klingons with hair, super crisp visuals with no blue filter!

This looks very promising, cant wait.

Also, Pike seems pretty great.

#714 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 06:22 PM

Those Klingons are looking better... and Michelle Yeoh returns! 

Looks like they may have a more coherent story... but we'll have to see how it unfolds.

#715 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 06:40 PM

I also love that its premeiring January 17th.

17/01/19 for you non Americans.

Very clever.

#716 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 06:18 AM

I was gonna wait to renew my AA sub... but I forgot it was on autopay... so I'm in for another year at least. Which is fine, as there are other shows I've been watching, but I'll def be watching on Jan 17th.

#717 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:27 PM

Gorgeous. I'm really enjoying 21st century Trek.

#718 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:05 PM

New Trailer is up for S2 of DISCO.

I'm not sure if its gonna be good Trek... but dang... it sure looks like good SciFi to me!

https://youtu.be/9o8kFyeOdfY

#719 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:48 PM

Season 2 Starts tonight!

#720 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:19 PM

12 minutes to go! Cant wait to see it, the visuals alone will make it worth the watch. Looks incredible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users