Photo

what will you do If/When DST ends the current Line?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:19 AM

I don't collect the figures, but if I did, I don't think I'd be too upset if they stopped producing them. Compared to a company like NECA, they're just not up to standard in my opinion.

However, when it comes to Trek Tech and Starships, that's completely different. If them make the Defiant, I'll be satisfied, but still peeved. If they were to end the Trek Tech without making a single piece of Next-gen stuff, then that would be a terrible shame. The TWoK phaser is exceptional, and it makes me yearn to see a TNG phaser/Tricorder even more.

#42 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (Jay K @ Dec 18 2009, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, when it comes to Trek Tech and Starships, that's completely different. If them make the Defiant, I'll be satisfied, but still peeved. If they were to end the Trek Tech without making a single piece of Next-gen stuff, then that would be a terrible shame. The TWoK phaser is exceptional, and it makes me yearn to see a TNG phaser/Tricorder even more.

I agree. If they ever give up the license, they at least have to give us a either a boomerang or dolphin phaser and a Mark IX tricorder.

#43 TheOriginalSeriesCollector

TheOriginalSeriesCollector

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, writing &amp; collecting various things.

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

I'll get the missing figures from the TOS waves and then be satisfied. I'd look elsewhere for my Star Trek fix, maybe I would get the TOS-figures by Playmates, even though I don't like my figures being that small. I'd have to see. Luckily I don't just collect action figures when it comes to Star Trek, so I would survive.

#44 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (FHC @ Dec 17 2009, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that I would give up figuring collecting. Fill any and all gaps from the current stuff I have and just collect older more rare items.

That is exactly my thought too... I've been trying to track down the old 60's Remco stuff for a LONG time (stuff like the Astro-Cruiser). No current Trek would give the excuse to save my pennies for those.

Sallah

#45 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:27 AM

Don't know why, but the only Trek figures that did anything for me was the old Playmates 4.5" line. Probably because it had sooo many cool things to get for them, like the:

Bridge
Engineering
Transporter
Shuttle
Runabount
TOS Shuttle

I had all of those but the transporter, and my imagination ran amok! The DST figures, while prettier I guess, seem so much more limited to me. They're so much more geared towards accuracy that I would feel bad playing with them. Granted, I'm too old to play with them like I used to, but I loved the balance of toy and replica that Playmates achieved. The likenesses were still really good, but if they had a couple of scuffs and what not, big deal. I feel that if the DST line has blemishes, that it's kind of ruined. But that's just my two cents.

#46 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (Stormfury_Echo @ Dec 29 2009, 02:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't know why, but the only Trek figures that did anything for me was the old Playmates 4.5" line. Probably because it had sooo many cool things to get for them, like the:

Bridge
Engineering
Transporter
Shuttle
Runabount
TOS Shuttle

I had all of those but the transporter, and my imagination ran amok! The DST figures, while prettier I guess, seem so much more limited to me. They're so much more geared towards accuracy that I would feel bad playing with them. Granted, I'm too old to play with them like I used to, but I loved the balance of toy and replica that Playmates achieved. The likenesses were still really good, but if they had a couple of scuffs and what not, big deal. I feel that if the DST line has blemishes, that it's kind of ruined. But that's just my two cents.

I understand exactly what you mean. You are not afraid to "Play" with playmates stuff, but DST stuff is pretty much for just "DIS"playing and no "playing". The older playmates stuff from the 90's was more durable and just said when you looked at it"Play with me" while the newer playmates stuff and DST stuff says to me "Display me" and "be careful with me because i might break".

#47 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Dec 29 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"be careful with me because i might break".

This is how I feel with the Minimates. Granted, that could be because the first one I opened, Kirk's leg twisted right off at the knee when I bent it for the first time. dry.gif It felt perfectly fine and there was no resistance! Since then I've always been scared with the Minimates that they'll be broke if I handle them too much.

#48 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

I've had a couple DST/AA items break, but really mostly because they took a nose dive from a high shelf onto a hard surface.

The only DST Item I ever had break pretty much right out of the box was a BSG Starbuck... but I typically put any new figure through it's paces when I open it.

You know in light of the way these exclusives seem to be going with TRU... I think I'm about ready for the line to end. I would really like to see that TOS wave 5 1st though...

I'm actually working on about 3 customs right now, several of which make great use of DST/AA base parts, so I'm fine with just going that route and letting the action figure line end. There just isn't the retail support for it from what I can see.

I'm digging the role play stuff, and I'd be happy if DST decided to put all their capital and efforts into the role play stuff... especially when I look at their last few efforts... Are there flaws with the TOS Tricorder the TMP and TWOK phasers? Sure, there are, but I feel the price point for what you get is actually a value so I like them!

#49 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Dec 29 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know in light of the way these exclusives seem to be going with TRU... I think I'm about ready for the line to end. I would really like to see that TOS wave 5 1st though...

I think most people are ready for the line to end, if only for the jerking around we constantly get from DST. sad.gif I know I feel more and more let down with every cycle (announcement-pictures-preorder-delay-delay-TBD-cancelled). Maybe they should have done the Toys thing to begin with. No real big announcements or anticipation, just "here are the new figures!"

#50 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:27 AM

I'd be fine with them continuing on the 3 figure waves with TRU as these waves are actually arriving (mostly) on time, but the ratios need to be fixed to where the new figure is at least 2 per case.

#51 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:59 PM

At this point though they pretty much have re-issued most of the original AA TOS cast figures. Only Chekov is missing.

The AA TOS wave 3 was good wave with Kor, The Gorn & Vina. but I can't see TRU taking that wave on again... no Kirk & Spocks...

#52 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Dec 29 2009, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At this point though they pretty much have re-issued most of the original AA TOS cast figures. Only Chekov is missing.

The AA TOS wave 3 was good wave with Kor, The Gorn & Vina. but I can't see TRU taking that wave on again... no Kirk & Spocks...

Actually the AA TOS wave 3 did have a Kirk in it. It was the Battle Raveged Kirk (which was actually a pretty nice figure).

#53 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:41 PM

True, but they are re-releasing it in the 2-pack with the Gorn!

#54 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:37 PM

I bet we will eventually get a "Deadly Years" Kirk in a two-pack. I know the Romulans weren't seen face to face in the episode, but that would be a cool way to get a Romulan figure out there!

#55 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:01 AM

seems to me that many fans would rather see it come to an end rather than continue to scrape the barrel with head swaps and re-issues.

#56 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:15 AM

Well... if they actually put out the new stuff they keep showing I don't mind the head swaps. Rand and Chaple are great examples of basic re-use... Chapel was supposed to have a new torso at least, but Rand would have just been a head swap. Ideal? No. But practical. I'd planned to buy several of both chapel and rand and customize the bodies for variety... but now we don't even know if we're going to get them! wink.gif

#57 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (New Frontier @ Jan 1 2010, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
seems to me that many fans would rather see it come to an end rather than continue to scrape the barrel with head swaps and re-issues.

Yes and no...head swaps are acceptable given that they are all wearing, essentially, the same uniform. My concern is the headsculpt more than spot on height/weight accuracy. Playmates did that with the Voyager crew and it was just fine. That said...Kirk and Spock headswaps need to be done. Rand and Chapel are great examples of an acceptable headswap. If headswaps bring us new characters...then play on. Otherwise, yes, please let it go.

#58 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:23 PM

I dont think that "many fans" want the line to end at all. Just the same ones that have not liked it from the start. It seems like more people would rather see more figures come out for sure, and not just be announced then delayed or cancelled. (even if they are head swaps)

#59 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Jan 1 2010, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont think that "many fans" want the line to end at all. Just the same ones that have not liked it from the start. It seems like more people would rather see more figures come out for sure, and not just be announced then delayed or cancelled. (even if they are head swaps)

I want the line to end, and I loved it in the beginning, back when AA had the license.

Over the years, through mishandling by both AA and DST, I lost interest in the line. Diminished selection, quality and effort eventually killed my interest.

I want the line to end, because it is already dead to me. If DST gave up the license, there's the chance that some other company I respect would pick it up and breathe new life into it.

In a perfect world, DST would retain the ships and tech piece of the license, and NECA would get the figure license.

#60 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

My life would be over, the seas would boil, and the land would break open and swallow me up. laugh.gif

I am already preparing myself if they cancel the line. I have allowed myself to collect the DCUC and am pretty happy with how that collection is looking, even though I am not familiar with many of the characters I am getting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users