Dismantling AA/DST figures

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Model making, songwriting, DIY, general tinkering and not ever being able to just leave something the way it is!

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

Hi, Ladies and Gents! Is there anyone here who knows how to safely "split" the front and rear sections of AA and DST figures? Is there a special technique, so to speak?
Also, has anyone taken a mould of the AA Hoshi Sato head? I would be interested in buying one if available, unpainted if possible.
Many thanks

#2 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Not sure I follow. I know how to take them apart pretty easy but are you meaning splitting the individual parts in half? Like taking a riker torso and splitting the front from the back? If so I can honestly say I have never tried that and think it will be pretty difficult as those are very solid once they are put together. The only way I could even think to start would be to let the entire piece sit in very hot water for a few minutes to become soft and then use something like an exacto knife to work in between the two pieces. You should probably do it from where the part joins with another part in case it leaves a mark.

#3 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

Yeah, I think the torso is a solid piece.
I have removed and replaced limbs, separated crotch from torso I have been leery of separating knees, as I've never put them back together.
Each figure, with unique parts, seems to have Unique connections. The posts are often different lengths or widths
Let us know what you find out

#4 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

That's one thing that drove me nuts about the DST TNG figures. It seemed like almost every figure had different size parts and nothing really worked well with other figures. This is a customizers nightmare. I would have bought a bunch more if the parts would have been more interchangeable.

#5 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Model making, songwriting, DIY, general tinkering and not ever being able to just leave something the way it is!

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

I totally understand about the figures being a swine to interchange apart from heads and maybe legs and I thank you for the advice. I want to customise some figures as I want both my NX-01 bridge populated by Mirror figures. I haven't ever attempted sculpting before but I am going to try to sculpt all new figures from the ground up, in the same scale. Hopefully, the AA/DST heads will pop right on them. Stay tuned if you like a laugh! :lol
Still interested to hear what others think, too...

#6 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

I love customizing so I will be keeping an eye out for your progress. I have been toying with the idea of 3D modeling my own parts to make a custom figure. It is a lot of work getting everything to fit perfectly so I am not sure If I want to tackle it yet or not. But good luck to you. I cant wait to see what you come up with.

#7 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

They work on the Classic Bodies yeah....someone on here has made a few Mirror Customs already actually

#8 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

I did see those and I thought that some of them worked incredibly well. I wasn't so keen on the Archer head swapped to the Kirk green shirt, as it seemed a little off to me but the rest looked great!

#9 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:41 AM

I think it's the ct of the shirt. The Kirk sculpt has too much cleavage, I mean chest exposure. Archer and tool need new hair sculpts.
I have some insignias on photobucket

#10 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:13 AM

I agree Bud' and also there is an unsightly gap around his collar line where the necks slightly too small for the aperture. I'd love to see the insignias you have on photobucket.

#11 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

I thought I had posted... here but I guess not! 

Yeah, archer on the green Kirk does look a bit off.  I never did Hoshi with my MM set, just core crew in TOS outfits, T'Pol being the most work.

I think you found them! if not check out my gallery, I have pictures there of them!

#12 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

I did indeed find them and as I said, apart from the Archer, I thought the rest were absolutely astounding! As if they came from the factory. You did a really cracking job, Gothneo! So what irons do you have in the fire at present?

#13 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:25 AM

boy I wish I had time to finish a number of things I started! Unfortunately I've had to be on a bit of a hiatus, mostly because I simply don't have the work space needed currently. 

I was working on a Roddenberry ENT Phase Pistol kit, and I also started sculpting a head from "The big show" to make him into his Orion Slaver version, but alas, my projects have fallen to the wayside recently :-(

I've kinda had it in mind to do nurse Chapel, and yeoman Rand... I've assembled all the bits and parts, but I put it on hold when DST announced the pair coming, and never picked it back up when they canceled them. 

I'm loving your stuff, keep 'em coming so I can live vicariously through them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users