http://www.artasylum...016-exclusives/

This year is a gold Enterprise A.

#2 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:30 AM

Wonder why they have random bits not gold? It looks kind of off like that.

Is it just me or is the front nacelle crooked?

#3 tuvok47

tuvok47

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:43 AM

That looks like a hot mess.

#4 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:14 PM

Well I kinda like it. It will go nicely with the gold TOS & TNG Enterprises I have. Although the blue bits on it look a little funny.

#5 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:16 PM

Nope. Pass.

#6 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:19 PM

OMG I WANT!!! Yayyyyyyy!!!

#7 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:27 PM

A Gold Ent. A. That's hilarious.

#8 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:59 PM

I don't get why they don't use a proper gold finish and make it look like the model ships on the Enterprise E. Take the electronics out and gold plate the whole thing with variants in the gold to pick out the detail.

#9 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:52 AM

If they gold plated it...it would cost more than 70 bucks...more like 270 bucks...and not sure of they could sell them all like that.

#10 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:14 AM

Could they not make it look like they've been gold plated when in reality they've just been painted to look like they have?

#11 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:34 PM

If the whole thing was gold I'd be for it but keeping the blue here and there makes no sense.

#12 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:53 PM

I like it ALOT! If someone can get me one lemme know!!

#13 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:23 AM

If the BOP is almost ready, and based on the selling out of the last exclusive; wouldn't a cloaked BOP be ideal?
They must have engineered the moulding by this time, and they could do it without electronics. This way, people can see the ship is almost ready, and buy a variant at the same time.
Unless that's not going to get them their return on investment, due to less quantities produced.

#14 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:07 AM

Firstly, it's absolutely not for me. That being said, I too think it should've been a chromed gold colour (reminiscent of the observation lounge models).

Also. the gold paint they have used makes the hull look like old skin.

#15 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:57 PM

It would match my grillz

#16 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:55 PM

I thought it was the golden anniversary of TOS not The Voyage HomeB)

#17 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:21 PM

its probably good that they didn't do a gold chrome mirror finish....that stuff tends to flake off after awhile.

#18 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:23 PM

Even if they stuck with the gold as it is in that photo, they could of replaced the blue on the nacelles and deflector with a different colour, a yellow or orange piece perhaps. As well as the additional paint applications being turned from the colour they are to a gold/brown colour.

#19 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:01 PM

Zach...will a few of these be availible online after the Con like with the Defiant Last Year?

#20 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:33 PM

Zach...will a few of these be availible online after the Con like with the Defiant Last Year?

I'm wondering this as well; I definitely want to buy one of these like I was able to with the Defiant. I can't afford the fully cloaked BoP because of the insane prices it fetches on eBay, and would hope that the gold "A" wouldn't fall into that same category for those of us who can't afford to journey to SDCC.

Wonder why they have random bits not gold? It looks kind of off like that.

Is it just me or is the front nacelle crooked?

I'm admittedly not sure what the logic was behind leaving some parts of the ship in their "standard" colors. I would think that it would have been easy to just use a different shade of gold to give the details some contrast, or to even just do the details in silver for that "observation lounge/ready room" look that we're so familiar with. While to the best of my knowledge, this is consistent with DST's Japanese–exclusive gold TOS 1701, there was a lot less detail on the TOS 1701 to begin with to make it look "off" without changing any of the other colors. As far as the nacelle goes, I think it might just be the angle of the photo or even just a rushed edit in Photoshop, but there's definitely a chance that the nacelle is actually crooked. (It looks more like it was "pasted" into the image in Photoshop or a similar tool though.)

If the BOP is almost ready, and based on the selling out of the last exclusive; wouldn't a cloaked BOP be ideal?
They must have engineered the moulding by this time, and they could do it without electronics. This way, people can see the ship is almost ready, and buy a variant at the same time.
Unless that's not going to get them their return on investment, due to less quantities produced.

Tiberius, given that the first SDCC exclusive DST did for the ships was a cloaked Klingon BoP, I wouldn't be surprised if a "fully cloaked" Romulan BoP was the SDCC exclusive for 2017. I don't think DST would try to do a variant before the main release, and depending on where things are in their schedule, it might not have been possible to have a Romulan BoP variant planned for this years SDCC, hence the decision to go with the "A" instead.

Firstly, it's absolutely not for me. That being said, I too think it should've been a chromed gold colour (reminiscent of the observation lounge models).

While I agree that it should look more like the observation lounge models, I don't think the paint should necessarily be "chromed," as that's not quite how they looked. Playmates actually nailed the "observation lounge" look with their gold Enterprise–D, and that's really the color DST probably should have aimed for. A "flat gold" that has more of a matte look to it rather than a glossy one, with just a small sheen that makes it look metallic under the right light. It's not an uncommon paint color either, and would have made the ship look a little classier than the blatantly "plastic gold" color that was used. (I still want one, I just think the color could be a bit better.) The one thing Playmates didn't nail was how to deal with the colored plastic, but as others have mentioned, this matches their Enterprise–D and DST's TOS 1701, so I can't complain too much about it. One thing I will say about the Playmates version is that even though it came with a decal sheet, I never applied them, which really gave mine that "ready room/observation lounge" look. If DST were to ever do a non–SDCC "ready room/observation lounge" variant of their ships in gold for a wider release, I would actually suggest removing the registry numbers and similar details to really make the ships look like they belong in the ready room/observation lounge, and to distinguish them from the SDCC releases.

its probably good that they didn't do a gold chrome mirror finish....that stuff tends to flake off after awhile.

VorlonKosh, you can have a gold that looks more like the ships in the observation lounge/ready room that doesn't use a gold chrome mirror finish. My gold Playmates 1701–D looks very much like the gold used on the ships in those settings, and nothing has flaked off of it over the years. It looks just as gorgeous today as it did the day I got it, so DST wouldn't have to use gold chrome to come up with a gold that looks a bit more like what we're used to than this does.

Even if they stuck with the gold as it is in that photo, they could of replaced the blue on the nacelles and deflector with a different colour, a yellow or orange piece perhaps. As well as the additional paint applications being turned from the colour they are to a gold/brown colour.

1701D, if they ever did a wider release of gold ships in some sort of "observation lounge/ready room" line, I would completely agree with you on changing the colors of the parts that light up. However, this is (for better or worse,) in line with all previous gold ship releases from Playmates and DST, so I can't complain too much about it. Having said that, as much as I would love to see ships with the blue portion of the nacelles turned yellow just because I think it would look cool even on the standard version of the ship, I actually disagree with you on changing the color from blue to another color for the gold releases. I would actually go with the silver paint that DST used on the outer portion of the nacelle for areas that didn't light up, and probably suggest just using clear translucent plastic for the areas that light up with white LEDs in place of the usual colored ones. If DST is afraid that clear/translucent plastic would reveal too much of the inside of the ship, they could always put a very light coat of that silver paint over it the same way Art Asylum put a black "wash" over the orange impulse engines so that when the ship wasn't lit up, the engines looked black and "off," but when the ship did light up, it had that "glowing orange" effect with the black "slats" that the movies had. Do that with silver instead of black on translucent instead of orange plastic and you'd get the same effect and still have a ship that looks like one of the models on the Enterprise–D or Enterprise–E. I do agree with you that the standard colors for the paint apps should have been another shade of gold or a shade of silver though, but it's not a dealbreaker for me, even though I would love a more "observation lounge/ready room–worthy" version of the ship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users