44 replies to this topic

#1 Will Decker

Will Decker

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

OK.

We're in a little bit of disagreement about this one. There are suprises. there are some things that may dissappoint you. It's our longest review ever at a whopping 5 minutes.

Manage your expectations. It's just a toy. Take a deep breath. here it is....

#2 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

I have the 2007 release. I can't say the light bleed ever bothered me that much and I think it's a beautiful piece overall. But, man, it looks much worse in the engineering section near the dish than the one I have. Are the lights brighter than that release?

#3 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

Holy hell that light bleed on the deflector is terrible. All the lighting seems worse compared to mine.

#4 Tyjos Azari

Tyjos Azari

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Collecting,Photography

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

So Light Bleed Eh? Hmmm...I might end up selling mine possibly if I don't get too attached to it.

#5 Sovereign23

Sovereign23

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:36 AM

QUOTE (Tyjos Azari @ Mar 8 2013, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So Light Bleed Eh? Hmmm...I might end up selling mine possibly if I don't get too attached to it.

That light bleed is terrible! Thank you for the review

I find it hard to believe that DST didn't change the saucer section material.. and if im not mistaken, the first release of the TWOK Ent does not bleed as bad as this new one at the area around the deflector dish..

For those who have yet to own this vessel, grab it now while the price is right.. i have the Ent-A mold of this ship, and the plastic is wayyy thicker (or opaque) and light bleeding is minimal as it is in other DST ships..

#6 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:14 AM

Will Decker and Prometheus, thanks for the awesome review guys! smile.gif As always, keep up the good work. Having watched your review, I actually have a couple of questions for you.

1. How is the legal copy applied to this ship? I didn't see any black stamps in your video, so I was wondering if DST applied it differently than they did to, say the Enterprise

#7 Will Decker

Will Decker

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE (Alex @ Mar 9 2013, 04:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will Decker and Prometheus, thanks for the awesome review guys! smile.gif As always, keep up the good work. Having watched your review, I actually have a couple of questions for you.

1. How is the legal copy applied to this ship? I didn't see any black stamps in your video, so I was wondering if DST applied it differently than they did to, say the Enterprise

#8 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

Well thanks for the review. I'll be saving my money on this one. I already have a translucent saucer 1701, I don't need another.

#9 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

I've been on the side of "The light bleed isn't so bad, stop moaning, guys!" with this so far, but I now realise that I have a first release.

That light bleed is pretty insane! Seriously, a cardboard disc in the saucer, and a tube in the secondary hull would be enough to address this, DST!

#10 Will Decker

Will Decker

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Mar 9 2013, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been on the side of "The light bleed isn't so bad, stop moaning, guys!" with this so far, but I now realise that I have a first release.

That light bleed is pretty insane! Seriously, a cardboard disc in the saucer, and a tube in the secondary hull would be enough to address this, DST!

I can't remember if I mentioned this is the video, and I don't feel like looking at it again, but they must have had surplus unpainted ships or plastic for this re-release. It's the only explanation for the issues people are citing. Both this and the ent-e have the same sound chips as before. Were those surplus as well?

#11 ShipNerd

ShipNerd

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Guys, I was not as positive on this vessel as you were.

Granted I tend to look at things close up, than at a distance on your review.

There is no doubt the sound chip on this ship is awesome. The lighting on this ship is poor in my opinion.

The color change to a white, is correct as opposed to a grey. In my honest opinion the grid given to the saucer by filling in some groves was unecessary.

It did not catch my attention in the Star Trek Movies..as much as it stands out on the Toy.

This guy right here is something on a review I would of mentioned.

This is a screw position more akin to a Playmates Toy that a DST Product.

I find the reviews I have watched from you guys interesting, but many like myself have one of these ships on my (at home) work desk.

So closer in looks , albiet time consuming on your videos would be most welcome.

ShipNerd

#12 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:ST props, models, and Lightsabers OH MY!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

In that pic, there's supposed to be a square screw hole cover there, they're blended in so well when in place you'd never know it. That really sucks, I would definitely see about getting a replacement if mine were like that.

-Kyp

#13 ShipNerd

ShipNerd

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (Kyp Durron @ Mar 15 2013, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In that pic, there's supposed to be a square screw hole cover there, they're blended in so well when in place you'd never know it. That really sucks, I would definitely see about getting a replacement if mine were like that.

-Kyp

Thanks for that info Kyp, although I have many reasons to ask for a replacement from BBTS the vendor on this vessel. I do not want them getting yet another Enterprise returned to their office.

I have returned one DST ship already this year to BBTS, If I do another...BBTS may consider...and this is just my speculation...DST Starships are just not up to Par on QC; and might discontinue carrying them.

There method of shipping their products is excellent and I would hate to lose a vendor who does an exceptional job in getting their customers pieces to them in great shape.

If I did get a replacement, I still would have the same translucent hull that handled it's lighting....badly.

Going to Top Shelf this ship, she looks okay from a distance...like a white TMP Refit ...she still has her classic shape.

As for close up viewing My NCC-1701 A is Fantastic. She does not require the black grid lines so prominent in the 2013 TWOK.

Does one realy remember those dark grid lines on the saucer from TWOK or TMP? The detailing looks like something a modeler would do if he saw a groove he though that needed filling.

In my honest opinion in wasn't needed. The feature just was not an eye catcher in the movie (TWOK or TMP)

The NCC-1701A and the TSFS NCC-1701 are prior makes, but superior to the TWOK for 2013.

Again the white was right for the TWOK 2013, it just needs to be opaque to handle the electronics.

In my opinion.

Again Thanks Kyp,

And I am looking forward to that Diamond Select Bird of Prey with the landing gear (I do not expect it to stand on the gear..lol...) I hope my vendor will carry it.

ShipNerd

#14 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

a very basic description for those that do not know this. When a company builds something like this, they buy plastic in bulk, like you would copper or steel. And much like those items it varies in quality and price at the time you buy. Plastic is tied to oil prices.

#15 malloc64

malloc64

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (ShipNerd @ Mar 15 2013, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This guy right here is something on a review I would of mentioned.

This is a screw position more akin to a Playmates Toy that a DST Product.

My 2013 TWOK reissue has a screw cover glued into place there. Looks like an error on your ship. sad.gif

#16 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

ShipNerd, your ship is missing a screw cover. If you do decide to return it to BBTS for an exchange, don't feel bad about doing so. You paid for a ship that didn't have flaws, and you have the right to get what you were lead to believe you were purchasing. At worst I'd hope that the high quantity of returns would cause DST to seriously consider addressing some of the problems with this ship, particularly on the most recent run. My Enterprise

#17 ShipNerd

ShipNerd

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Alex, I thank you for your feedback.

I wonder if DST has that Part on hand..and it can be attached on.

I will contact DST and see if anything can be done.

ShipNerd

#18 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

That's a good alternative to outright replacing the ship.

#19 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

If they do have the part on hand all you would need is a couple spots of super glue and you'd be done with it.

#20 malloc64

malloc64

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

If they do have the screw cover and you are able to get it AND you are interested in taking apart your ship, you might want to wait on covering that screw until you finish fixing it. The front 2 screws are easily accessible by wiggling off the deflector dish ring. It's that rear screw that's impossible to access without damaging the ship. If you are interested in taking apart your ship, having that screw exposed might actually be an advantage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users