• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#221 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:48 AM

Looks like to me that it's being built inside a Starbase or something. How cool is that! Maybe the shipyard is like a Starbase where they build them inside. With air to breath and gravity, where you could just walk around. that would sure speed up the building process.

http://www.treknews....66120558944.php

I'm thinking someone got a camera inside the theater!

#222 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9" clothed figures

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

Let's not forget that we are probably not going to see the construction of the Enterprise in the movie. This is the teaser. Anybody old enough to remember the teaser of Terminator 2? Where Arnold comes off an essembly line. Those shots never appeared in the movie.

#223 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:26 PM

I love the historical context of the film using the old audio clips. One thing that always bothered me about Trek is that our history seems so alien to them. These people are only a few hundred years removed from our culture yet they seem to be so unfamiliar with it. As comparison we are 1500 years removed from the Roman Empire yet our culture is still fascinated by them. To me I would almost welcome a retelling of this story to reflect more on our culture. These people are us and it seems sometimes Roddenberry neglected that aspect to show how far mankind could advance in a perfect world. The issues of 200 years ago that the Founders discussed while buidling the Constitution such as freedom and security are still readily quoted and looked at. I think its time Star Trek take a more active place and realistic place in the current worls "future history" (pardon my anachronism).

#224 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

Here's the Terminator 2 teaser I was talking about. I remember seeing it in the theater. None of the scenes of this teaser appeared in the movie. I think the Star Trek XI teaser also contains only scenes that will not be in the final movie.

#225 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

I always wrote off the lack of historical knowledge due to the fact that several catastrophic world events happened between "now" and "then." I am wondering how much of history would be preserved if we went through a nuclear holocaust, a eugenics war, and other wars.

#226 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:41 PM

well we've been through a hundred years war, a great war, a world war II added to other many ancient wars and more recent ones. History has a way of telling itself and being preserved. Tom Paris seemed to have a pretty good grasp of what 1950s culture was like so I'm assuming most of it survived.

#227 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:52 PM

^Although their idea of 1980's and 2000's seemed to be a bit confused in ST:TVH and the VOY episodes "Future's End" parts I & II.

But I do agree that the inclusion of the historical audio clips was fantastic! That's one of the things about ENT's opening credits that I always liked.

#228 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:06 PM

I really grew to love that opening sequencefrom ENT.I know a lot of people hated it but it really is my favorite of all the trek openings

#229 Samwise Gamgee

Samwise Gamgee

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

The trailer is now up in HD. smile.gif
http://www.paramount.com/startrek/

#230 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:16 PM

I saw it when we went and saw Cloverfield yesterday. I cant wait to see more.

#231 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:37 PM

Swweeeeeetttt! I was really impressed, even on my 11 inch screen it was nice!

#232 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

I found some shots that could be the new uniforms from the movie ...

They both look very similar to me and I am not quite sure where the inspiration came from. Will wait to see a good confirmed version before making statements.

And this shot of Zac Quinto as Spock (it may have been previously posted, but its still good) ...

There were other photos, but I couldn't get them to come up. See if you have better luck JFX Online

#233 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:37 PM

May 2009?! Ah they are killing me!!!

#234 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:53 PM

Moving the opening date could be the best thing for the movie that they could have done. And doing it in the summer means that they think it willbe big. And the opening day is my Birthday so Yay ME!!!!!!!!!!!.

#235 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Jan 19 2008, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The issues of 200 years ago that the Founders discussed while buidling the Constitution such as freedom and security are still readily quoted and looked at.

You talk about the founders and the constitution as if those things were important to the whole world. In the united world (or the united planets) of Roddenberry these things are just a few historic details of one simple country. A forgotten country in a united world and facts that are only important to a minority of that united world. Forgotten in the same way that we Belgians have forgotten that we once were Dutch and forgotten in the same way the white americans have forgotten they're actually the offspring of Europeans. A country that, although a great nation now, 200 years ago was taken by force from the native americans and a country that enslaved africans.

Although you have a country to be proud of today, you shouldn't be proud of your country's history. Perhaps that's why those facts you mention are indeed best forgotten in Roddenberry's world.

Sorry, I just had to say this.

#236 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:22 AM

I would argue that the Constitution and Declaration of Independence are the two most important documents in this world's history for their impact on modern day Earth. Added to that list are probably only the Bible and the Koran for their lasting impact on world affairs. As stated previously the work of the Romans hasnt been forgotten in our time, I highly doubt the work of the Framers would be forgotten or dismissed in 200 paultry years. Also considering that it was America (with the Soviets) who started Earths space program and first landed on the moon, I find it even more unbelievable that future intelligent peoples would not know the reasons why they even were in space to begin with and the history of their own technology.

#237 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:20 AM

In most parts of the world, including in my country, people never even learn about those documents at school. If it wasn't for the movies, I would never have heard of them. They're not exactly as well known as the Code Napoleon is in this neck of the woods.

Also, the US may have won the race to the moon, but the first people in space were the soviets. So it's very funny to read "considering that it was America (with the Soviets) who started Earths space program and first landed on the moon."

But there are even more funny things in the world. Like this woman who thought Europe was a country, who wasn't sure France was a country, who thought they speak French in Budapest and who didn't know there was a country called Hungary. But she did know there was a country called Turkey. Now you can imagine that on the other side of the globe there are people who think New York is the capital of the country America or who think Alaska is a part of Canada or who think Hawai lies between Florida and Mexico. So I really don't think in a United World, after a few generations many still remember countries like the USA or Russia or France.

Now on a personal note, I have nothing against your country. But I do have something against patriotism. Because I'm a globalist and any patriotism is an obstacle on the road to a united earth.

#238 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Feb 19 2008, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You talk about the founders and the constitution as if those things were important to the whole world. In the united world (or the united planets) of Roddenberry these things are just a few historic details of one simple country. A forgotten country in a united world and facts that are only important to a minority of that united world. Forgotten in the same way that we Belgians have forgotten that we once were Dutch and forgotten in the same way the white americans have forgotten they're actually the offspring of Europeans. A country that, although a great nation now, 200 years ago was taken by force from the native americans and a country that enslaved africans.

Although you have a country to be proud of today, you shouldn't be proud of your country's history. Perhaps that's why those facts you mention are indeed best forgotten in Roddenberry's world.

Sorry, I just had to say this.

Berns,
Give me a freaking break. I've always felt most of your posts were pretty ignorant and nine times out of ten you say things for a reaction but this post shows how little you know. In WORLD HISTORY what the Unites States has accomplished with Democracy is something in fact the world show be proud of. Just as Americans and most of the world that cherishes freedom looks to the ancients Greeks and how they were the first to trully stay true to Democracy as they had a world surrounding them and attempting to take them over.
Has the United States made mistakes, Of course it has this world is run by people and people are fallible, however it's history is far less bloody then most other nations. Despite the fact that a majority of other nations want Americans to piss on themselves and their nation there is a larger percentage who are proud of where we came from and who we aspire to be...sorry to insult you. Also Roddenberry's "world" as you put it and their government is based on the basic principles that all people, races, etc are created equal...that sound vaguely familiar doesn't it? Maybe a bit like the United States.
I've said my piece and I'm not going to get into one of these flame wars you get so excited over. So here is your medicine enjoy it
Dave

#239 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(DavAnthony @ Feb 19 2008, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In WORLD HISTORY what the Unites States has accomplished with Democracy is something in fact the world show be proud of.

As I said before, I have no problems with the United States. I do have a problem with a patriotic mentality, no matter in what country. And I do believe the problem in the US lies within it's education. The US is just a democracy like so many others in the world. but that's something they don't teach people at school it would seem. I've heard Americans say that they thought their country is the only democracy in the world. Newsflash, all western European countries are democracies. And they have democracies for many years.

QUOTE(DavAnthony @ Feb 19 2008, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also Roddenberry's "world" as you put it and their government is based on the basic principles that all people, races, etc are created equal...that sound vaguely familiar doesn't it? Maybe a bit like the United States.

Nope, not a damn bit like the united states. In fact, there were no slaves in Europe in the 19th century. You guys really have to open up your eyes. Yes you have a great country. But it's not the only one in existence. There is as much freedom and liberty as you have in Belgium, France, the UK, Holland, Germany, etc. Only these liberties are different from country to country. In Belgium, you can have sex at the age of 16 but you have to be 18 to drive a car and to vote. In Germany there are highways without speed limits. So how does a Belgian 16 year old feel when he finds out in America you can drive a car at his age? And how does an American 16 year old feel when he finds out there is no speed limit on most German highways? They don't feel as equals.

In fact, the basic principles that all people, races, etc are created equal (which I believe is) can only be accomplished in a united world. For as long as every country has different laws, not all people are equal. So these very principles you charish so much are the very principles why I am opposed against partiotism, why I am opposed to the existence of different countries in the world. Americans should stop to think of themselves as Americans. Belgians should stop to see themselves as Belgians. We are all HUMANS! We should all be equal. The laws should be the same everywhere. But as long as people have patriotic feelings toward their country the world will not become one unified place. This pride of one's country, whatever country that is, should stop. That is one of the reasons I like Roddenberry's world so much. It's not that I don't like the US. Hell, I wish I was born there! But it's the fact that in the 21st century there are still different countries and that people of those different countries love their own country more than the others. Those are the things that bother me.

And believe me, in my country it's even worse. There is a growing feeling towards Flemish nationalism. A lot of the Flemish would like to split the country. I'm Flemish. But I don't want my country to split, I want all of Europe to become one country. And even that is just a first step. I want the whole world to become one country with one gouvernment and one set of laws. So instead of the Belgians to become Flemish and Wallonians, I would want to see the belgians become Europeans and then the Europeans to become Earthers. And when that happens, I want the following generations to forget that once there were different countries in the world.

And frankly, I never thought this was going to start a flame war. Because I thought all of us, all of the Star Trek fans saw things that way.

#240 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

Nice discussion about the new movie. Or at least it was suppossed to be. Can we get back to it and save the world history and comparisons to Trek for anohter thread. When I see a new post in the thread I would actulay like to find some news on the movie and not waste my time with a Berns derailment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users