Spoiler-ific Movie Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

#221 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Oct 7 2009, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I know, a travesty that ran for seven seasons and four movies.

I think you've allowed yourself to be persuaded by the people who argued that the previous continuity stunted creativity when, in fact, it would have taken writers with a far higher level of creativity than Orci and Kurtzman to keep it going, and Hollywood is no longer up to that kind of challenge when there's easier bucks to be made by simply hitting the rewind button. Don't get me wrong, I found this movie enjoyable and thought it contained something of the spirit of TOS and some great Trek movie moments, but I am not fooled that this reboot will lead to any greater evidence of writers having been freed-up - especially since the plot of this movie borrowed heavily elements of previous Trek movies set in the Prime Universe (as we must call it now). Look around you and see the evidence of people rumouring a return of Khan, the Klingons, or the Borg - that looks less like creativity to me and rather more like pulling the same old toys out of the same old toy box.

How do you know? Seen the screenplay yet? I'd be excited by something I'd never seen before, which means NOT Khan, NOT the Borg, and no more Klingons!

*clears throat* If you look at Khan , the Borg , AND Klingons , they are what made the Franchsie interesting to many people for many years . A band of protagonists without facing a convincing and furthermore fully developed antagonist , is just quite frankly dull and boring , Yes Nero had a back story writing out by the writers , but with so much of it being cut out from the movie , it required the avergae fan to either buy a comic book series or the novel .

With Khan we know his motivation .
Conquest . Power . By any means necessary .

With the Borg we know their motivation .
Assimilation of all cultures and technologies to add to their perfection.

With the Klingons , of the 23rd century era mind you , their motivation is conquer , to kill , and to fight . I think that the JJ-Verse Klingons would indeed add flavor and background to our ( and I use the word 'our' in the loosest way possible ) favorite villians and future allies .

Imagine if you will , that the writers took the Klingons and made them have tactics similar to that of many of the terrorist organizations of today , sending Klingons out to busy market places to detonate a photon grenade .

Now imagine further that the federation and the Klingons are thrown into a intellegence , counter intellgence war , where torture is being used by both sides in order to gain information (does anyone recall the mention of the as yet unseen Klingon Mind sifter?)

Make our crew face a worthy challenge , but also face what the Federation may or may not be doing , and how it would affect how the Klingons veiw the Federation and how the Federation veiw the Klingons through propoganda .

One of the worst mistakes made in Star Trek movies so far is giving us completely new aliens we have never heard of before and making us think they are a threat while trying to tell the stories of our heroes (the Sona anyone?)

Give the villains , who ever they might be a good and plausible reaosn for doing what theyleave it in the final cut . With all that was removed from Star Trek , it turned Nero into a 2 dimensional "black hat villain" who was evil for no other purpose than to be evil.

The Klingons , when evil most times have been honorably evil , as were the Borg , and Khan , they fully believe that they were justicfied in doing what they were doing .

In Star Trek 2009 we hear quickly that Romulus is destroyed killing Nero's wife , so he wants to make Vulcan and earth suffer by destroying both planets . Then suppossedly head back to Romulus of the 23rd century and solve the super-nova problem before it happens and take over as Preator as an avenging angel , which was part of the plan so I hear but never sa the light of day .

With the Klingons , one doesn'y have to get so into a complicated background story that portions will have to be cut out to save time , The Klingons do what they do because they want their Empire to expand .

There was an utter lack of Klingons in star Trek 2009 due to them being cut out as a part of Nero's back story (which helped to make Nero so 2 diemensional)

So un-original ? Perhaps . But everyone who is familar with TOS also knows that the ultimate villian on TOS was the Klingons . A Klingon story told from a fresh perspective would be very interesting IMHO .

That's just my 2 cents .

#222 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:21 PM

I actually think one of things that made TWOK so appealing to audiences was that Kahn (as you said) was "a convincing and fully developed antagonist". Not only was he already developed in TOS, but the writers used that to develop him even further!

Plus Montalban was a stupendous actor IMO.

Anyhow... this is the way to use the continuity to an advantage, but technically... that's all gone now. So... there is no back-story to fill... There's no Kahn out there that we know of. Events have changed. But there is no reason that a compelling story can't be told where the antagonist is fully developed w/o any unknown backstory or book or TV series. Movies... good movies do it all the time!

I'd like to see something new... but I don't know if Trek can give it to us any more!

#223 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:04 PM

Well, Star trek has only changed from TOS forward. Enterprise would be unchanged. Kahn would still have been the same. The only difference is that the TV show Space Seed did not happen, yet. Or better to say, will not happen in the exact same way that it did before, but will probably happen.

#224 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:33 PM

Well I vote for Kirk finally ending the mystery of the Temporal Cold War. It would certainly make me happy!

#225 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Oct 12 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I vote for Kirk finally ending the mystery of the Temporal Cold War. It would certainly make me happy!

Ooh Yeah!! Kirk and Co. VS Future Guy!

#226 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:06 AM

Yeah! that sounds gre..

Hey!

Wait a sec!

Isn't that what we just saw???!!

Anyhow. This is the thing. The writers are claiming that Quantum Mechanics is what allows for the existence of parallel Universes, and if you hold to the "Many Worlds" view of Quantum, then it's a pretty good fit. But, the problem (as I've said) before isn't a movie based on parallel universes... It's the combination of the that with Time Travel that makes it a bad fit. See the writers that did stuff like the original TOS "Mirror Mirror" seem to still be mostly correct in assuming that the change to time space is more relative, and no incursion by an "observer" (such as Nero and his crew) are required to cause a "Split" or creation of a new universe.

Generic "Many Worlds" Quantum requires no observer, and thus all known probabilities (in infinitely) exist. So if the writers are trying to meet this interpretation of Quantum, then there are indeed many other subtle differences that could and apparently do already exists even before the time incursion made by Nero (different uniforms on the Kelvin... etc...).

If you hold all those subtle changes as mere "updates" and say that everything is the same until the incursion, then your going more the "Copenhagen" interpretation of "Many Worlds" Quantum... and Copenhagen assumes a collapse of the waveform... or in other words the observer effects the true path of the "real" universe. Copenhagen says that all probabilities exist, but that as observers act upon the universe a reality Path is carved from the quanta probabilities.

At least that's the way I understand it!

#227 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:30 AM

I have watched the 2009 Star Trek once now since getting the Bluray and some of the special features and i have been enjoying it a lot. As long as i remember that this IS an alternate timeline, the movie and everything is pretty enjoyable and i am stoked about the movie and everything. I am going to watch the movie again this weekend and finish up on the special features and then render my final verdict on what i think about this movie reboot.

#228 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:04 AM

I agree!

The new movie is fine when viewed with a sense of detatchment from the Trek of the last 40 years. If I view it in isolation then I don't feel any sense of betraying the past or whatever. There are enough classic TOS-style moments in the movie to make it fun, and the new crew are working out fine and trying hard to make their characters their own.

I thought I'd find the new Chekov annoying, but he's actually quite endearing and less of a cartoon than Koenig's character. The new Scotty is also a welcome departure from the cartoonish engineer of old. Karl Urban rocks, and in a weird way actually enhances the work that DeForest Kelley did because his version is the stand-out performance in the movie that underlines why Bones was always such a mighty component of TOS.

I haven't rushed out to buy the DVD yet, but I expect I will have my own copy at some point. I'd be interested to watch the deleted scenes, and I love all those geeky extras!!!! The special features on the special collector's edition of Nemesis are simply nerd heaven!

#229 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Nov 21 2009, 07:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree!

The new movie is fine when viewed with a sense of detatchment from the Trek of the last 40 years. If I view it in isolation then I don't feel any sense of betraying the past or whatever. There are enough classic TOS-style moments in the movie to make it fun, and the new crew are working out fine and trying hard to make their characters their own.

I thought I'd find the new Chekov annoying, but he's actually quite endearing and less of a cartoon than Koenig's character. The new Scotty is also a welcome departure from the cartoonish engineer of old. Karl Urban rocks, and in a weird way actually enhances the work that DeForest Kelley did because his version is the stand-out performance in the movie that underlines why Bones was always such a mighty component of TOS.

I haven't rushed out to buy the DVD yet, but I expect I will have my own copy at some point. I'd be interested to watch the deleted scenes, and I love all those geeky extras!!!! The special features on the special collector's edition of Nemesis are simply nerd heaven!

Detachment is exactly what i meant, thanks for that. As long as i stay detached from TOS and beyond in the prime universe, i am happy with the new movie.

#230 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

There is no reason to feel betrayal of past Trek by embracing the new movie. I treat it exactly like it was intended, a "what if" alternate reality/time-line, no diffrent than the many others that we have seen in Trek through the years, from the "Mirror Mirror" story lines, to all the diffrent universes Worf was skipping through in "Parallels."

#231 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:07 PM

After watching the film a second time , my feeling remains firm . I love this film . It is not only a good Star Trek film , it is a great Star Trek film . The film has a fast exciting pace , a heartfelt story , and most importantly , the film leaves me with a feeling of hope for the future . The final battle and subsequent closing scenes , along with the stirring music rising and the final shot of the Enterprise coming up past the camera on her beauty shot as Leonard Nimoy reads the "Space, the final frontier ..." speech , then the Enterprise Waprs off into the distance as The Original Series theme is rising mixed with the new flavors and tweaks of new sounds and planetary images , give me a smile across my face and chills my bones . the acting is top rate , as is the story , the SFX , and the startling new ideas it lays down . In my mind TOS, TNG, DS9, and Votager still happen and nothing has been erased. This film just gives us a glimpse as to what happened prior to the original 5 year mission . So for me it still fits into continuty , if I bear in mind that any time Vulcan is seen or mentioned in the subsequent series , I bear in mind that it is really "New" Vulcan or Vulcan II .

#232 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Nov 20 2009, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am going to watch the movie again this weekend and finish up on the special features and then render my final verdict on what i think about this movie reboot.

To follow up on this post i wanted to report that i have watched the movie twice today, once with the commentary, have watched all of the special features, also read the Countdown comic prior to watching the movie today as well and i have to say that i like the movie much more now than i did even in the movie theater. Its really nice to be able to be able to see the details much better than i could on the theater screen, such as the bridge and interior shots of the Enterprise. I really like the new Enterprise, it seems so sleek and technologically advanced from the TOS ship but still has enough of TOS in it to make it feel like TOS. I cant tell you how much i really like this version of the Enterprise. The actors do a great job with their roles as well. Reading the countdown comic really fleshed out Nero prior to the Kelvin incident, and made it much more enjoyable and understandable. I wish we had seen more of what Nero was up to during the 25 years after the Kelvin though. The Klingon Prison scene was okay but there was not enough of it to fill in the whole story there. All in all i think JJ Abrams did a great job making this movie and i am impressed with it and so my final verdict is a big thumbs up for Star Trek 2009.

I can watch any of the Star Trek that came before on DVD or Bluray anytime i want to and so i dont think i am going to feel betrayed or sad any longer that this movie is an updated version of TOS. The original actors are either very old or have already passed away and so we need to embrace these new actors and allow them to make the characters their own, while keeping the best of the characters intact as the actors did do. Every one of the main 7 characters had good scenes that established them and they did justice to the characters i thought. Karl Urban was really outstanding in his performance.

#233 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:39 AM

I'm kind of drunk from drinking brandyso i opplogize for ant spelling and gramer mistakes, but i have to state this even if its unconprehencable. Addressing Mr. Fleet Captain Ko'tar's remark about vulcan 2, there is no need to infer that the in other trek adventures and stories that Vulcan refers to a second planet named Vulcan. As I've said, this is an alternate reality that DOES NOT NEGEATE what came before in any way what so ever. The Timeline from the last TNG film continues on just as if bisnuess is ussual, including the events that the elder spock talks about in the film. This movie is just like how we we're ment to infer the "mirror universe" stories, and similier stories, from TOS-DS9, as a "what if" senerio. In this case the characters are still the same moral, upright, often forced to balance morality against the "what gets the job done" band of brothers and sisters from the classic series that we love and remember, only they have lived livies that are in most cases a little diffrent (in Kirk's case very diffrent) than what we know from the prime time-line starting in April of 2233 when Nero arrives and his actions create this new reality. As the writters have stated, one of their desires for all viewers veiwers is to take these characters and their strengths and weakness', and tell new ingrossing tales with them, and for long time diehard fans like me, to take this opertunity add more depth to these classic characters that we know and love so dearly. I was introduced to Trek at around 5-6 years of age in the earlly 1980s, and although these days I feel that Jean Luc Picard is a better commander, in my earlly years, Captain Kirk was what I felt that a leader should be. Not just a military comander, but a "leader of people" in general. ok i'm going to bed now.

#234 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:40 AM

Wow. After reading that I realise why MisterPL used to have a sig that said "post sober"!! laugh.gif

#235 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

Agreed Jules!

I don't think the writers really understand quantum at all... as explained 8 posts back they are mixing and matching two very different interpretations.

But I disagree that we are getting any new "Depth" to the classic "Prime Universe" TOS characters... since these are an "Alt Universe" set of characters... a proclaimed "What If" set of characters, then any new perceived "Depth" is also "What If".

#236 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:46 PM

I dont think i made this connection before. I dont remember if anyone else has made this observatiopn or not, forgive me if i was having a moment of memory lapse. I was just watching the unaired version of WNMHGB on the season 3 Bluray set, and just realized that the planet that Gary Mitchell was to be marooned on is Delta Vega, the same planet that Kirk was marooned on in the new Star Trek movie by Spock. There was a outpost there in both the movie and the episode, but the planet seems to be radically different. I thought it was ironic that in both the series and the movie, Spock ends up marooning someone on the same planet although the circumstances are pretty different.

#237 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Dec 19 2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont think i made this connection before. I dont remember if anyone else has made this observatiopn or not, forgive me if i was having a moment of memory lapse. I was just watching the unaired version of WNMHGB on the season 3 Bluray set, and just realized that the planet that Gary Mitchell was to be marooned on is Delta Vega, the same planet that Kirk was marooned on in the new Star Trek movie by Spock. There was a outpost there in both the movie and the episode, but the planet seems to be radically different. I thought it was ironic that in both the series and the movie, Spock ends up marooning someone on the same planet although the circumstances are pretty different.

Perhaps the area with the "Cracking station" as seen in WNMHGB is in a desert region of the planet , and the Frozen waste land area where Cadet Kirk's escape pod impacts and where Scotty is later discover , is in a Artic Region .

#238 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:50 PM

...Or, OR, maybe it's best not to ask yourself these types of questions and just enjoy the movie and shows. Trust me, as a Highlander fan, I've had to look at every movie and show as alternate realities, lest my head implode laugh.gif All of them have screwed up the continiuty of their predecessors wink.gif

#239 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:50 AM

^^ Now there's a novel idea! roflmao.gif

#240 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:12 AM

One further observation: Original Spock himself is also marooned there. That is even more ironic than Kirk being marooned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users