5 replies to this topic

#1 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:45 AM

Hi hello, how have you seen this film?

A lot of reviews are saying that it's the best Terminator film since the first two, which is surprisingly high praise these days when everything is getting recycled and turns out like the current crop of Star Wars films, but it looks like it's going to be a mild flop at the box office.

The plot: Sarah Connor and John Connor, who is now a stock trader, go back in time to 1991 to save two whales because.... ahh you're not buying this, are you?

Okay, but the reviews have been pretty good, even though some accuse of being a Cardassian repetitive epic.

Will you go see it or have you already seen it?

Trailer: 

#2 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:42 PM

I haven't seen it but every YouTube video I see says it's awful and is killing the franchise. I wouldn't mind seeing it to make up my own mind though.

#3 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:16 AM

I did see it. Its got some fun lines, action sequences and I thought  the interaction between Arnold and Linda was entertaining.

What this movie really is... is a third act to the first two... making T1, T2 and Dark Fate effectively a Trilogy while ignoring or retconning the rest. Is it lots of recycled concepts? Yep... but thats been the issue with every Terminator movie after T2.

As for Killing the Franchise?? This movie isn't doing any more damage than was already done previously... The Terminator Franchise has been a mess ever since what is Technically T3, and Dark Fate isn't doing much to correct or put it back on track.

If this movie proves anything... its that perhaps Hollywood should have just left it alone after T2, as there really aren't any new concepts in Dark Fate... or anywhere new for the franchise to go.

My feeling is if your a die hard fan of the Terminator Franchise... go see this one, you'll be entertained, and its fun... if you absolutely hated everything after T2... I doubt this will leave you with a satisfying taste. 

#4 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, that's why I'm more excited to see this one than the others -- reviewers say that it's a sequel to T2 and it ignores the rest. I had seen T3, which felt meh, but the rest looked like hot garbage in movie trailers.

As for the franchise, it was mismanaged for quite some time so I'm not paying too much attention to the larger picture. One could make some parallels to old and new Star Wars and Star Trek films there.

One thing about Cameron/Ahnuld films: T2 was an epic, epic hit and was not followed up on during the whole decade of the 1990s. Same with "True Lies," which was another major hit and once again left to sit with no sequels. That was a Cameron film too.

#5 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:15 AM

I haven't seen this yet, but dropped in to say that the best thing to come out of this franchise since T2 was The Sarah Conner Chronicles. Well worth watching, cut short right as it was getting epic too.

#6 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:32 AM

If its any kind of endorsement... Id watch dark fate again... I cant say that for T3-T5.

There were some great lines that are actually kinda funny if your a fan and know T1 and T2... the showing I went I found myself a singular wit on some of them... so not sure what others issues were!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users