• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

#301 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

they seemed to be moving that direction with S1. 

#302 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

Definitely happy with that since the humor didn’t always work well.

Also would buy a model of the Orville in a heartbeat.

Just don’t go with DST.

#303 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:02 AM

Forcing humor is never a good idea. It's best when it flows organically. If they can keep the sci-fi component working as well as it has been and refine the comedy so it doesn't feel like there's a dick joke quota, the show will only improve.

#304 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

I agree. I don't Seth is really good at being the straight man, when he's actually being serious he's not that bad... I'd say they should look to letting the robot play the straight ma... seems to work better IMO.

#305 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:19 AM

Cant wait to see an electronic toy of The U.S.S. Orville!

Im continuing to enjoy this show more than Discovery. Its such a refreshing return to what Star Trek was in the 90s and should of been today.

Its just a great show and it sucks that Star Trek of all franchises is failing to deliver what Star Trek should be delivering to audiences.

#306 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

I don't necessarily need an electronic model of the Orville, just a model of it of some sort that is assembled and painted. 

#307 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:32 AM

An electronic model would be awesome. Think of the voice clips they could do.

Im also thinking Playmates would be brilliant for this as long as they didnt go nutty and just did the ship, maybe a shuttle and a selection of 8 figures.

#308 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:07 AM

I'd rather have stuff from a company that makes collectibles like NECA or McFarlane than just a standard toy company like Playmates. I don't really see The Orville as a kids show, so don't see someone like Playmates having too much interest. 

#309 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:20 AM

Do you not think that because of the type of show Orville is, it deserves a genuine toy line style of toy. Im thinking Playmates do the same with Orville as they did with TNG back in the 90s. A retro line.

#310 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:38 AM

The Orville isn't nearly popular enough for a full toy line, not yet at least. 

#311 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

Yeah... many of us granted are used to the times when just about anything got some type of toy merchandise... but its really been driven to a niche.

In the case of the Orville... I just want some fun TV to watch.

#312 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

All I want is the ship, don't really care to have any of the crew. 

If Galaxy Quest could get a model of the Protector, the Orville should be able to get a model at some point. 

#313 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:15 PM

Yeah... many of us granted are used to the times when just about anything got some type of toy merchandise... but its really been driven to a niche.

Really? I see more obscure merchandise now more than ever. My local Toy's R Us currently has Twin Peaks action figures, my local Target has an entire section devoted to Stranger Things including two different action figure lines and also Rick & Morty figures.

#314 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

All I was saying is In the 90's there was more... almost every short run obscure comic was getting some type of collectible and action figure to go with it... more boutique stores... etc... sure theres a lot of that stuff around still, but not as much as the late 90's 

#315 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:42 AM

Really? I see more obscure merchandise now more than ever. My local Toy's R Us currently has Twin Peaks action figures, my local Target has an entire section devoted to Stranger Things including two different action figure lines and also Rick & Morty figures.

The Twin Peaks and one of the Stranger Things lines are Funko/Super7 figures called ReAction meant to throwback to old school Kenner figures. As Funko has relationships with so many franchises for their Pop! vinyls, they have been able to squeeze out many ReAction lines over the past few years, from Golden Girls to Back to the Future to Aliens and Twin Peaks. However, most of them have been really, really short lived, not going very deep and all of them are adult targeted.

If someone were to make Orville action figures first, I would bet on them. But Orville has not yet earned the cult following status that Twin Peaks has, or mass approval and enthusiasm that Stranger Things has. So I am not holding my breath. Not sure I personally would even want any Orville figures, like these guys I'd start with the ship and see if that compelled me further. I'd buy a toy of the blob dude...lulz.

#316 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:38 PM

I haven't checked out this show yet either...so it's more like TNG/DS9/VOY but also a comedy?

#317 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:55 PM

yes, at least it started out that way, but it seems like they are pulling back on the comedy a bit which is fine because some of it was falling flat. Well worth the watch if you like Sci-fi, it does have a TNG feel to it, but I maintain its something different than Trek. 

#318 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:19 AM

Was season 1 of The Orville better than season 1 of Discovery?

#319 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:31 AM

In what capacity? I really think they were two different things... but if your going to compare them, we probably need to pick some things they could be compared against.. I can suggest some generic things...

Writing -  Both shows have issues... and its a bit of apples and oranges here because one is episodic and the other is a serial... but I give the edge to The Orville as overall I found the whole more coherent. 

Acting - Another close one, but in this area I think Seth actually hurts his own series... so I Give it to DISCO

Production - CBS stuck the money behind DISCO... the production value is gorgeous... another point for DISCO

Character building/interaction - Kind of a meld between the acting the writing... but overall I *like* the characters in the Orville better, and therefore am more interested in them... Lorca was honestly the only character in DISCO I ultimately found interesting. 

How "Hard" is the sci-fi - Again linked to writing... but the idea is genial that the harder the level the more grounded in actual possible tech the story... both shows are pretty soft... but to me... The Orville is harder.. wether thats good or bad I think depends on each individual. 

In the end, I think its a matter of what you like... and theres no wrong answer. 

I actually re-watched "Lethe" last night. That was a darn good episode of DISCO... a bit slow on the pacing in places for me, but a top notch in almost every other area, but single episodes aren't my issue with DISCO... and since its a serial... its kinda tough to just throw on an episode and enjoy it, which is what you can do with the Orville. 

Ultimately, I like DISCO better than the JJ verse movies, I certainly find them easier to re-watch, but based on the output of ea...  I'm a bit more excited about the Orville to be honest.

#320 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:46 AM

The Orville won me completely over after 3 episodes. Discovery managed the opposite: the show scared me away after 3 episodes. I just stopped watching and that still baffles me. I never expected to come across a Trek show that I could not get into at all, but... yeah. :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users