Photo

McFarlane Toys Gets Entire Star Trek Licence!

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#441 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:49 AM

Kirk and Picard are showing up at Walgreens now.

#442 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:00 PM

Thanks!

#443 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:00 PM

I got my McFarlane 7" Kirk and although the packaging is a bit minimal compared to AA/DST I think it is a better figure than the DST Kirk. I hope we do get Spock and the whole TOS crew (including Chapel & Rand).

#444 Nigel

Nigel

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:55 PM

Does anyone know if these are selling well? Are we going to get a Spock?

#445 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:36 AM

I suppose we'll have to wait for toy Fair in a month or so to see if they offer up anything new.

#446 Bryan

Bryan

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

I sure hope so. I know they're frustrated about the Discovery phaser, but they do a fantastic job and the first two figures are amazing!

#447 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:33 PM

I really wanted that Phaser. 

#448 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:35 PM

I really wanted that Phaser. 

Yep, the Phaser looked awesome.

Id be surprised if we see much more from the line.

#449 Oxnard Montalvo

Oxnard Montalvo

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:37 PM

Apparently Trekcore on twitter have asked McFarlane, and they said they wouldn't be showing anything at toy fair.

I guess the lines dead (Jim)

#450 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:05 PM

That was quick :-(

So I guess were not even going to see anything beyond the Kirk and Picard?

#451 Oxnard Montalvo

Oxnard Montalvo

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:38 AM

It looks very unlikely. Not many places here in the UK sold the first two, but they all sold out. Make of that what you will, perhaps we'll see something at SDCC. But if not then I guess that's it.

#452 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:53 AM

It may be the they couldn't find distributors willing to pick up product... I know that was always an issue for why DST product was "delayed".

#453 mars396

mars396

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:41 AM

Scored a Kirk at Walgreens last night. I have never been so indifferent about an action figure in all my life. Don't love it. Don't hate it. If the line continues, great. If it doesn't, no big loss.

#454 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:45 PM

What I don't understand is why people think we want more Kirks and Picards. That was one of my biggest problems with DST. Granted, I think these two are pretty well done, Kirk in particular. But I think they would have better served their line if Burnham had been the third part of that initial release. Sigh. Still hoping for this to turn itself around.

#455 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:38 AM

I will admit that I will buy more of the same.. but typically only if there is a vast improvement... I'm still buying Marvel Legends for this very reason. 

I've only ran across the Kirk thus far... and kinda like mars396 said... I haven't felt a the pull that its a vastly superior figure that I just have to have to replace the AA/DST Kirk. 

I think the Picard figure may be better... mostly because DST kinda messed up the scale... I hope I see one out there... somewhere!

#456 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 10:12 AM

Wow, that was it?

I kind of get the economic concerns here: McFarlane had to hit some sort of retailer order level to continue the line, and retailers likely went "meh." It may not seem like it to us here, but it's not easy to get stores to buy into two TV show characters from decades ago, even if Trek is currently on TV. The demise of TRU didn't help.

With the first two figures being Kirk & Picard it was a very safe experiment -- they can cut their losses and not do any more figures if the first two don't work out. McFarlane couldn't do a Playmates-sized debut lineup of like 10-20 figures, so they had to roll it out slowly, so the first two had to be really obvious. It couldn't be Admiral Nechayev and Q in Napoleonic uniform, even though that's what we might want, though that would have been wonderful and trippy for a toy aisle in Target.

I didn't have the impression early on, before these two came out, that this would be a particularly large line -- it's hard to sell this big format to stores unless it's Star Wars, and those are sitting on shelves too.

#457 Nigel

Nigel

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 10:43 AM

I really wanted a Spock to go with my Kirk....oh well...I have lots of DST Spocks lol

#458 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:24 PM

-- it's hard to sell this big format to stores unless it's Star Wars, and those are sitting on shelves too.

I think theres plenty of that scale in stores... besides Star Wars theres Marvel Legend, DC, Wrestling, not to mention the Mego stuff... most of the action figures are 1/12th scale these days... and Walgreens has the NECA and McFarlane stuff too. 

I'm not sure its the scale... I think action figures in general just don't sell like they once did. 

#459 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:38 PM

I'm not sure its the scale... I think action figures in general just don't sell like they once did. 

I think your right about that. So many options for collectors, so many scales. Many collectors just don't want or just can't afford to buy so many different scales of figures.

#460 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:50 PM

I get the non-viability/discontinuation of the Kirk/Picard line.

But what about the planned Disco figures?  Apparently ditched per Toy Fair absence?  Darn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users