• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:38 PM

The hands on the AA Nemesis figures were the same. More difficult to get in and out and were very flimsy. The joints in the arms and heads as well. Heck, it seems these new figures are more like the Nemesis figures than they are the first two DST TNG waves in just about every way.

#22 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:04 PM

These hands are even more flimsy than the AA nemesis figures. It is like they are made out of rubber instead of plastic especialy Lore's left hand.

#23 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:16 PM

I just got my wave in the door and out of the package. I really like these figures. The likenesses are spot on. The bigger comm badges are a really nice touch. They seem really sturdy and stable despite the plastic change. I had no horrible deformities. I had only a few paint app problems, but they don't bother me very much. I am finding scale to be off just a bit, but its no big deal, they still look good (look at the size of Riker's head compared to the new figures - he looks massive).

My big gripes (you knew it was coming laugh.gif ):
  1. Geordi's VISOR isn't removable like DST stated in our very own Q&A ... at least not without some extreme force and mucking up the figure.
  2. Data's head-plate is indeed not flush on my figure. Mine juts out around the ear area.
  3. Data's useless hands.
  4. Has anyone tried placing their figures in seated position? I know this isn't a great concern seeing how we don't have playsets, but watch as their legs invariably crook to the left.
Overall, not a bad bunch of figures. Glad they can join the rest of the crew!

-EDIT- I just tried removing the VISOR on Geordi and it messed him all up. He has a nice big silver streak from his temple to his eye. I won't be displaying him without it and am very disappointed by this - I really loved the removable VISOR feature.

#24 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:27 PM

The leg thing is pretty much a problem with almost all of the TNG figures. If they had just added thigh articulation, it wouldn't be. Chuck said they would consider doing it for future lines in the Q&A, but looking at the DS9 and TWOK protos, I guess they didn't go through with it. Big mistake, IMHO.

#25 LocutusOfTuborg

LocutusOfTuborg

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Feb 16 2007, 02:16 AM) View Post

I just tried removing the VISOR on Geordi and it messed him all up. He has a nice big silver streak from his temple to his eye. I won't be displaying him without it and am very disappointed by this - I really loved the removable VISOR feature.

Slayerone76,
yeah, I know the problem... (see my pictures) To me it looks like, they attached the visor to the figure without waiting for its paint to dry first. (Thats why it feels like the visor is glued to the head... brrrrr)
I was able to gently scratch the silver from Geordi's face... its worth a try.

LoT

#26 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:17 AM

I remember the same thing with the Playmates Geordi figure, even the very first ones in the run that indicated the VISOR was removeable on the packaging. You still had to pry it off and it also left silver paint on his face.

#27 LocutusOfTuborg

LocutusOfTuborg

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:02 AM

And another "compare the scale" thingy.

IPB Image

LoT

#28 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:55 AM

That is a great picture. If you took Picard out of it they would all look very good together. They realy did make him to big and bulky.

I tried swapping hands with Data and Lore last night and even after heating them I had one heck of a time trying to get Lores left hand out of the hole. I was afraid I would break it becuase the new plastic (rubber) is so flimsy. I finaly gave up decided I would rather leave them like they were instead of possibly having a one handed figure.

#29 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:05 AM

I thought there was some oily stuff on Lore when I took him out of the package. Now I know! Is this a response to punters' complaints about stiff joints do you think?

#30 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:31 PM

I think its in response to a whole line of Buffy figures falling apart actually. I am glad they are greasing them up!

#31 Samwise Gamgee

Samwise Gamgee

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:55 PM

Wow LoT, I must give a BIG THANK YOU for posting all of the photos that you have. It's always good when you get new figures. smile.gif By the way, where have all the beauty shots gone on your site? Those were the best photos around.

#32 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:08 PM

Yeah, cheers LoT.

In my display, Picard is the only one using a base...so I never really notice how out of scale he is, untill seeing the pic above...Oi!

They would look really good without him.

I think I'll put my S7 Picard in the captains chair as the centre/front of my TNG display...then he'll look fine.

#33 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:26 PM

I have mine sitting in Archers chair and everyone else standing so you can't realy tell a big difference. I do wish they would have done a better job with the scale though.

#34 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Feb 16 2007, 12:31 PM) View Post

I think its in response to a whole line of Buffy figures falling apart actually. I am glad they are greasing them up!

The previous two waves of TNG also had some kind of lubricant, but it was a white paste of some kind. Maybe they thought the oil would work better? But the white paste didn't migrate as much as this oil seems to.

#35 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:02 PM

Looking at more of these pictures it isn't that Laforge and Data are out of scale it is that Picard is so out of scale. I wonder how a Picard head would look on a Chain of Command Data?

#36 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE(DavAnthony @ Feb 17 2007, 01:02 PM) View Post

I wonder how a Picard head would look on a Chain of Command Data?

You will have fun trying to swap the hands....

I believe they do not like it!

#37 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

The head might be too big as well. You might be better off using a Nemesis Picard's head.

#38 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:49 PM

Note to DST concerning the clinched fist on some of the figures:

A clinched fist is more appropriate for villians and adolescent boys, not on heroes of the line such as Data.

#39 thecapn

thecapn

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(Sybeck1 @ Feb 16 2007, 09:49 PM) View Post

Note to DST concerning the clinched fist on some of the figures:

A clinched fist is more appropriate for villians and adolescent boys, not on heroes of the line such as Data.

Oddly, this was apparently a shift mid-production. There's been photos of both Barclay and Data with open left hands taken by people.

#40 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:00 PM

Maybe they produced both and just randomly inserted them onto the figures. I have a Nemesis Troi that has a different left hand from my other Nemesis Trois.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users