• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#41 MattP

MattP

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:03 AM

Cool cool.gif .... Just walked into Forbidden Planet in Cardiff and bought Data and Geordi off the shelf - also got Deanna in Duty uniform on clearance too.. I wish they'd had Barclay too, but I didn't fancy getting Lore. The Silver Tool case with Geordi looks a lot like the Blue one included with the Playmates toys just resized for the DST figures. Don't know whether it opens or not but its a nice touch. smile.gif
Oh & PS - the Data & La Forge figures DON'T come with Transporter Bases like the previous releases. sad.gif

#42 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:02 PM

Do they come with any bases at all? sad.gif

I wish I could find some of these here where i live in MO It's hard trying to get them ebay sometimes, but I'm trying to make do lol.

#43 MattP

MattP

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:05 PM

Nothing at all I'm afraid - Data comes with Tricorder, Spot, Violin & Bow, Geordi with Tricorder & Engineering Case - no bases at all sad.gif

#44 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:12 PM

picked up my Data and Geordi S7 figs

now is it just me, or are these figs a little out of scale with the rest of the TNG? they just seem a bit...small

thats not taking away anything from either - i think they're great!

#45 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:16 PM

Thats odd, all the other ones came with stands, why would they all of a sudden stop packing them with stands? I hate it when they dont have stands lol oh well, no biggy i guess. tongue.gif

#46 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:18 PM

Lets get some comparison pics going peoples!!

Or just pics in general from wave 3. Don't forget to take pics of accessories if possible. smile.gif

Thankyou.

#47 MattP

MattP

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 05:53 PM

OK here's Data...

Geordi..

Here's my current TNG line-up for size comparison.

#48 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:41 PM

They do look a little smaller and the pants look glossier. The stand thing does not bother me at all because I thought they were horrible in the first place. They weren't realy stands anyway becuase they didn't actualy help the figures stand they were just decorative bases. I have all of my bases in a bag somewhere so if anyone needs any for their Data and Laforge just let me know and we can work something out. The figures look better than I expected though. Thanks for the pics.

#49 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:48 PM

Gloss pants...interesting.

So Geordi is about as tall as Troi?

Cheers for the pics.

#50 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:58 PM

Geordi looks really good! I am still not sure about Data though. His head looks off to me and what's up with the closed fists? He doesn't look like he can hold anything! I can't wait for them to come though! Thanks for the pics!

-EDIT-

BTW, does Geordi's VISOR come off?

#51 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Jan 27 2007, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have all of my bases in a bag somewhere so if anyone needs any for their Data and Laforge just let me know and we can work something out.

I kept one. I use it as a drink coaster!

So no phasers?

#52 Samwise Gamgee

Samwise Gamgee

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:04 PM

Hey MattP,
HUGE thanks for posting those pics. smile.gif

I'm sorry guys but I am getting more frustrated with each new wave. How come AA can't keep anything consistent? The new gloss look (and Geordi's long arms) just make them look like oversized Playmates figures. Yet, they are too small to fit in with the crew. I hope they look better in person. sad.gif

#53 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

Those glossy pants look awful. Is the concept of having a unified-looking display that hard for DST/AA to grasp?

I don't mind not having the bases, since I only use one, for my desk at work.

Still, that's annoying. They gave us bases instead of stands, and I think most people, though disappointed, gave them a pass because the design was pretty cool. Then, on the third wave, they quietly omit them.

No phasers? But we get cats? Huh?

I'm forced to agree with Samwise. This line feels cheaper and cheaper with each release.

I'll finish out my TNG TV and NEM crews (assuming the NEM figures are made available), but this quality dropoff will likely turn me off of DST/AA Trek figures in general.

Of course, I'll pick up select figures if they ever do DS9 or VOY, and I'll get something from the TWOK line, but I doubt I'll be getting any complete crews if this keeps up. How can I continue to commit to DST/AA when they won't commit to producing a quality product?

(I realize I'm reacting without having the figures in hand, but those pictures seem pretty damning.)

#54 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:14 AM

here's another question that was bugging me...most ifgs have come with an accessory that was unique to their character (e.g. Troi's ice-cream, Data's violin and cat, etc) so how come Geordi never came with his red engineering PADD? i'm hoping its one of the NEM Geordi accessories

#55 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:21 AM

While I'm not excited about the glossy paints, something to remember is that everyone is supposed to be in various heights, depending on the character. Geordi should be about Troi's height and Data and Picard should be around the same scale. Can we get some shots of everyone side by side? Let's hope the q/c issues get solved before they hit our shores. But I have a sinking suspicion that might not happen with DST trying to pus out the Geordi/Data wave. Thanks for the pics though, much appreciated.

#56 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:14 AM

There seem to be less accessories per figure as well.

I think the problem is that the original release plans for the TNG figures just didn't work out like DST wanted them to. So now they have to rethink and reorganize things mid-line. So the growing pains the line is having is coming through on the figures themselves. While that's not good, let's hope DST is taking notes and learning lessons. Hopefully they will have all the kinks worked out by the time the DS9 line is finalized so that at least there will be consistency throughout that line and future ones.

The TWOK line might be a sign of things to come. So far they've shown off three figures that might consist of the core release of a first wave. Which means they might be organizing the line like they do the Stargate line, which seems to have done well for them. Hopefully that's the case as I feel that is a much better release plan/pattern. And, hopefully, the DS9 line follows suit as well.

#57 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:46 AM

Knightone,

Maybe you're right, but DST learning things on TNG won't help us with our TNG displays.

And it's not like DST is new to releasing action figures. They've been in that business for years.

I don't see how the glossy pants can be related to a rethinking or reorganization of the line. It's just poor attention to detail. (Something you shouldn't try with the nitpickiest fans in all of fandom.)

This isn't a screwup along the lines of Giganto Illyria, but it's very disappointing and even less explainable.

#58 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE(pickard @ Jan 28 2007, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see how the glossy pants can be related to a rethinking or reorganization of the line. It's just poor attention to detail. (Something you shouldn't try with the nit-pickiest fans in all of fandom.)

You have never spent any time on a prop forum have ya? laugh.gif

#59 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE(FHC @ Jan 28 2007, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have never spent any time on a prop forum have ya? laugh.gif

A little, and yeah, those guys are understandable uber-picky.

Still. I'd guess that, of prop fans, the Trek prop fans are the pickiest.

#60 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:56 AM

I imagine that DST finally figured out that the bases were a bad idea, since a lot of the figures wouldnt fit on them. If they redesigned them so that they would accomodate ALL of the figures, i think fans would like the bases. If they arent going to include bases in the package, but still charge the same price, they should add in a couple more accesories to make up for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users