• Please log in to reply
1901 replies to this topic

#1701 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:14 PM

Also what happens when all the Star Trek fans cancel their subscription when the season ends.

#1702 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:32 PM

Also what happens when all the Star Trek fans cancel their subscription when the season ends.

Or even before, if it sucks that bad. Honestly, I cancelled HBO the day after Game of Thrones season 7 ended. As neat as streaming services are, the revenue from them isn't as stable as regular cable services are because people may be less likely to cancel their cable service since they may depend on news and weather channels or other programming but with a one channel streaming service, it can be dropped in an instant. 1.5 million subscriptions on one day can quickly turn into 750 thousand the next day depending on how good a show is or when the current season ends.

#1703 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:07 PM

4 million subs... even w/o purely Trek Fans is a good number. They've made clear that they've been growing the service rather organically... adding new, exclusive content is just part of that growth... besides people are funny... most keep a service way longer then they intend. They are hoping that people find value beyond a single show... and honestly... I bet that they will offer it on DVD/Blu-Ray at some point... thats how I get to see most HBO shows. 

#1704 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:10 PM

All this negativity and some defending it,and yet......it is JUST a tv show,nothing more,nothing less. LOL! Judging something by how much they spend on each episode or it failed in the visual area already or whatever,is just funny. I love Trek,including what some call travesties of a movie. The last three are some of my favourite Treks,and no,I'm not gonna defend that as it is and always will be MY own personal opinion,just like everyone else here is posting their own personal opinion. But it's JUST an opinion,ONE persons likes or dislikes. Will things change if you go on about it and shout out about it? Probably not. And life goes on. Plain and simple. lol

#1705 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:54 AM

This is why I keep going back to what fandom is supposed to be about... people have different tastes. If you don't like something, thats fine. But forums like these are supposed to be a means to have discussions on what you do and don't like about a product. I can appreciate those type of discussions... and hope we have some about the actual series! 

#1706 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:22 AM

This is why CBS has another rumored Star Trek project waiting in the wings. As HBO learned with Game of Thrones, you gotta hook viewers with new, original content. Plenty of Trek fans watch other stuff, too, but for those solely interested in new Trek, they'll need something on the other side of the calendar to keep subscribers from bolting.

#1707 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

I think someone may have mentioned this before, but as soon as these episodes stream the first time, there will be sites that will have it available for download for those that download movies and TV shows from torrents, for free. HBO has had a tremendous problem with this as well. I don't advocate this practice but it appears that it's really easy to download Blu Ray quality movies and TV shows from these sites that take up little room on a hard drive and eliminate the need to pay for subscriptions or buy disc sets in order to enjoy your favorite shows now. I am sure this will make an impact on CBS's profits on their streaming service, especially when Discovery launches.

#1708 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:36 PM

I think someone may have mentioned this before, but as soon as these episodes stream the first time, there will be sites that will have it available for download for those that download movies and TV shows from torrents, for free. HBO has had a tremendous problem with this as well. I don't advocate this practice but it appears that it's really easy to download Blu Ray quality movies and TV shows from these sites that take up little room on a hard drive and eliminate the need to pay for subscriptions or buy disc sets in order to enjoy your favorite shows now. I am sure this will make an impact on CBS's profits on their streaming service, especially when Discovery launches.

Yeah it's fairly easy to get shows either streaming or broadcast shows pretty much immediately following their release. I've done this for work where I need the content on my computer, ironically even when I own them or can stream them in some format. It's easy but it is a small hassle. I don't watch content that way. It's better to just pay for Netflix or whatever streaming service there is. The key is making it more accessible and not over charging. I think CBS All Access is doing it right in this regard. If I decide I like the show I have no problem at all paying for the service. Even though I know how to get it through less than legitimate means I would rather just get All Access. Well and of course it's the right thing to do.

#1709 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:11 PM

On one hand if your that upset with the way things are that it drives you to steal... well.. thats too bad... .

On the other hand... this is what led to streaming revolution for music... people really were being taking advantage of... e.g. being forced to pay $15 for a CD just to get one or two good songs... 

I have no doubt that ultimately it will come out on DVD at some point and you'll be able to rent or buy it... also...

Some of this has been fixed with ala-carte  sales of shows on places like i-tunes. For example, Hulu's Season 1 of the handmaids tale is available that way... but you had to wait a season. 

I also see shows like GoT and many others... The question is.. will folks that don't want to pay for all access pay $20 to be able to just buy and stream Discovery? 

The solution to Music Piracy was, in large part to off a fair product at a fair price... it didn't eliminate it completely but most reasonable people  felt happy to pay for something at a fair price. 

I think the market is still trying to work some of this out here in the US.

#1710 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

Yeah it's fairly easy to get shows either streaming or broadcast shows pretty much immediately following their release. I've done this for work where I need the content on my computer, ironically even when I own them or can stream them in some format. It's easy but it is a small hassle. I don't watch content that way. It's better to just pay for Netflix or whatever streaming service there is. The key is making it more accessible and not over charging. I think CBS All Access is doing it right in this regard. If I decide I like the show I have no problem at all paying for the service. Even though I know how to get it through less than legitimate means I would rather just get All Access. Well and of course it's the right thing to do.

Yeah, I think it's the right thing to do as well, but I think some people use portable hard drives to store content downloaded online, and share it with others that way. Just plug it into a friends computer, give them content, and maybe get some more for you. It's the way a lot of people do today, for whatever reason, convenience, no internet access,no room to store discs, no money, whatever. Most of the time it's because they want something free. I don't mind streaming subscriptions as long as there is something I want to watch on that service.

My point here is that CBS has a long row to hoe if they are hinging the success of CBS all access on Star Trek Discovery, especially since they have shown such disregard for the fanbase with production of this show, the lack of any other original new content on CBS all access, the fact that many people are put off with CBS that they are not putting Discovery on CBS tv , that they probably pay a cable subscription for, and that the pirated , free version will be available to anyone that really wants to see it bad enough to download it. The deck seems stacked against them IMO, but it's their own fault also IMO.

#1711 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:36 PM

So ad-free is $10/month.

CBS plans on airing the first half of the season across two months, take a break, and then air the rest of the season over another two months.

So that's 15 hours of new Star Trek for $40. I pay more than that for a movie ticket to see a two-hour film. That doesn't count travel and concessions, of course. It doesn't count paying a little extra to see it in a deluxe theater, opening night. It doesn't count the money I spent of my new cosplay for the occasion.

#1712 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:43 PM

So ad-free is $10/month.

CBS plans on airing the first half of the season across two months, take a break, and then air the rest of the season over another two months.

So that's 15 hours of new Star Trek for $40. I pay more than that for a movie ticket to see a two-hour film. That doesn't count travel and concessions, of course. It doesn't count paying a little extra to see it in a deluxe theater, opening night. It doesn't count the money I spent of my new cosplay for the occasion.

No wonder there is pirating of content if it costs that much to see a 2 hour movie where you are. I went to see a movie last weekend and paid $6.80 for the ticket at the Regal theater. I would stop going to the theater if it costed 40 bucks for a ticket here.

#1713 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:47 PM

Most theaters cost 10-12 dollars a ticket in the evenings and on weekend to see a movie. That plus concessions adds up quickly.

I typically go to movies on $5 tuesdays at Marcus to avoid the price that theaters costs.

If you go to an imax or other fancy theater, it costs quite a bit more.

#1714 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:16 PM

No wonder there is pirating of content if it costs that much to see a 2 hour movie where you are. I went to see a movie last weekend and paid $6.80 for the ticket at the Regal theater. I would stop going to the theater if it costed 40 bucks for a ticket here.

:lol: I'm not paying to see a 15-hour feature film at the local cinema.

Divided hourly, the ticket price of an average two-hour film in my area is $3/hour. (That's matinee pricing. Evening/weekend prices are higher.)

The cost of 15 hours of Discovery is $2.66/hour.

Compared to what Trekkies spend on other aspects of the franchise, CBS All Access seems pretty affordable, especially since there aren't any Star Trek Minimates on the horizon.  <_<

#1715 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

Compared to what Trekkies spend on other aspects of the franchise, CBS All Access seems pretty affordable.

This is exactly why I eventually decided to sub-up. Been watching all the behind the scenes clips they have up on AA... and they are saying all the right things IMO... telling a good story... respectful to Trek heritage... it looks beautiful... come Sunday we'll get to see what they made and if it lives up to the talk. 

#1716 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:11 PM

This is exactly why I eventually decided to sub-up. Been watching all the behind the scenes clips they have up on AA... and they are saying all the right things IMO... telling a good story... respectful to Trek heritage... it looks beautiful... come Sunday we'll get to see what they made and if it lives up to the talk.

You forget that everyone working on the showing is just lying to us, and it’s actually the opposite.

/s

I watched the one about Michael, Sarek, and Georgiou and they were fantastic, they really got me more hyped for this series.

#1717 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

yep... same for me... I'm on record as not being a huge Kurtzman Fan... but he may turn that around! 

#1718 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:59 PM

From comments I've seen during this conversation we've had on this topic for some time now, I take it that you all think I'm closed minded and bitter but I'm not, just very passionate about Star Trek and it's impact on my life. I've said that I like streaming services, so I put the CBS app on my Xbox one and checked it out tonight. It's an okay app, and as I've said before, it suffers from no new original content but I'm going to try it out for a month. I watched several of the clips from Discovery and it does look like an interesting sci-fi show, and it looks like it could be a decent post Voyager Star Trek show, but it surely does not look like it belongs in the prime universe 10 years before Kirk and Spock. I'm going to watch on Sunday and see how it really is but the clips with scenes of Burnham and Michelle Yeoh's character actually look good but it just looks too futuristic for the time period it's set in.

#1719 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:32 AM

Someone on a forum I visit posted this screen capture of a program that is available on CBS All Access:

https://i.imgur.com/FjIalL2.jpg

"I signed up for the free CBS All-Access week and man the video quality is barely even watchable. Like it looks a lot worse then DVD. As much as I want to watch this show... yeah I can't in good conscious support this. It's not even 480p. Does anyone know if there is any options to increase the video quality? I couldn't find any. Like I'm not sure how they expect people to watch Star Trek in this quality. Even the faces are very pixelated. In case anyone asks, I have a 60mb connection and can stream 4K videos from Netflix and YouTube."

If the image quality really is that bad, then for the people that want to watch this in the US, you have my sympathies as that's just horrendous.

#1720 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:07 AM

I don't see anything wrong with the image quality... but they do say the max stream rate is 1080p. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: star, trek, cbs, 2017, series

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users