Photo

Hero, midgrade, crapazoid, what the heck are those?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:07 AM

In a different section of the forum there was a question raised as to what the different grades of props there are. I'm posting this in order to better explain it. smile.gif

________________________________________________________________________________

It might be noted that even hero props used on screen do not make sound (it would be rare) sound is added later. The idea of lighting up at the tip of the barrel helps the effects guys to aim "the beam". A hero phaser (by the way this is a reworked AA Phaser). should have all the goodies and paint to stand up to an up close shot of the prop.

There are also two more basic grades of prop. There is the midgrade and the crapazoid

The midgrade is one that will not be shown up close but lets say at 10 feet . It needs to have the right shape and the paint needs to be decent but not perfect. Normally it would have no lights. some of the parts that are metal on a hero would normally be just silver paint ect... As you can see the the fins are just painted and while it may not hold up to a real close up, at 10 feet or so in someone's hand, it would work just fine.

Now for the Crapaziod. There is a guy standing in the background, or on a hill, or out in the hallway, or rolling down a hill. You can tell it's a phaser by the general shape, but if you were to look up close at it, you would see this rough looking thing. Oh and for those of you interested, this one is made out of wood and a plastic ink pen body.

#2 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:20 AM

Is 'crapazoid' an industry term? laugh.gif

Thanks for the breakdown. It helps to know what you guys are talking about.

#3 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Aug 10 2008, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is 'crapazoid' an industry term? laugh.gif

Thanks for the breakdown. It helps to know what you guys are talking about.

Do a word search and I think you will understand

#4 ncc1701toy

ncc1701toy

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek TOS props and toys 'n gadgets 'n stuff

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:03 PM

This is a crapazoid on drugs:

http://img352.images...realcrapdg2.jpg

I think the coolish thing about the woodywill one is it sort of resembles fiberglass like the original.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users