• Please log in to reply
981 replies to this topic

#21 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

They are definitely trying to turn this into the next must see show , in the manner of Better call Saul, Game of thrones,and such but they are going to have to deliver a lot to get that kind of following. Pissing off the fanbase isn't the best way to accomplish this so we shall see in a couple days if they can deliver more than a few flashy scenes and Delta shields.

#22 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

Discovery in all hr glory, revealed as next years ship ornament from Hallmark:

#23 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

Discovery in all hr glory, revealed as next years ship ornament from Hallmark:

Reminds me more of Romulan and Klingon ships than federation ships. It's almost like they morphed all 3 together and out popped Discovery.

#24 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

I don't truly understand why they've gone soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo far from the TOS ship design aesthetic... I mean, why? Ok sure you can't have the same plain looking ships you had in TOS, whatever, but this... this is like... what? You're trying to convince fans that this show is set ten years before prime Kirk and Spock in TOS... and you don't think the visuals and design aesthetics are important to at least pay homage to? why place this show in this time period if you're not going to, you know, honour it in every sense of the word?

Don't get me wrong, I'm pumped for Discovery, I think the stories are going to be great and look, it's 2017 and if we look at Star Trek as of its time rather than being a period piece where these things have to visually link with each other then fine, but... yeah I think they've gone a bit mad with trying to reimagine everything for everyone.

#25 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

To play devils advocate here to the likes of VF and co.

Did Star Trek really need all of this effort in reimagining it? In the visual sense of the world and in the structure of storytelling sense too.

Was Star Trek so bad that both Paramount and CBS have looked to other successful properties to use as a template for success on the big and now small screen?

Something made Star Trek the hit it remains to this day. I'm just wondering if copying series like Game of Thrones and movies like Star Wars in any respect, is a sure fire way to dilute the success Star Trek once had in just being, well, Star Trek. There was nothing like it. Surely Discovery's team would of been in good stead had they just taken its inspiration from... you know, Star Trek. Rather than GoT or Star Wars...

Don't get me wrong. I think a lot of fans are broken, a lot of them don't really like Star Trek anymore and will moan and bitch about every little thing no matter what. But on the other hand, you do have to acknowledge that I think too much has been made to copy other successful shows rather than pioneering a new kind of TV formula, which is really what Star Trek did in the 60's. Instead of making a uniquely Star Trek series that may never appeal to the many, they've perhaps tried too hard to make Star Trek for everyone and that could ultimately appeal to no one. It'll divide an already fractured fan base and seem too generic for a new audience to find appealing and unique... no one wants Game of Thrones in space, people love that show for what that show is. Anything else is a poor mans imitation, which is exactly the trouble Abrams movies ran into; a poor mans Star Wars.

Anyway. New Star Trek is here almost and I guess the pieces will fall as they may.

#26 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:30 PM

Some Trekkies are just whinny cry babies at heart....

They been complaining for decades! 

Its always the same... 

I particularly love how they say it'd be like re-making a John Wayne movie... which also has been done to great effect and reception!

gallery_26_18_161966.jpg

#27 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:48 PM

I'm ready to see Discovery, would like to enjoy it and hopefully I can but I'm not sure of it. It may be a really great show,but the only real way to enjoy it will be to disconnect it from TOS and think of it as the 10 years before the Kelvin universe Kirk and Spock.

#28 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:53 PM

Its always the same... 

I particularly love how they say it'd be like re-making a John Wayne movie... which also has been done to great effect and reception!

gallery_26_18_161966.jpg

That looks like a page out of the National Enquirer, I wouldn't believe a word they said. I remember the time that TNG went into production and I don't remember there being a bunch of whining about it. I always thought it was great from the beginning.

#29 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:57 PM

That looks like a page out of the National Enquirer, I wouldn't believe a word they said. I remember the time that TNG went into production and I don't remember there being a bunch of whining about it. I always thought it was great from the beginning.

And now we see clearly but through a mirror, darkly...

There was a huge amount of turmoil among a very vocal group of fans. What happened with TNG though is that a new generation of fans found the show, hated the original and made Picard their hero.

Who knows if Burnham or Lorca or Georgio will become this generations heroes. A lot of people already see Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway and Archer as dated relics to be fondly remembered but easily replaced by a newer generation of stars. Of course as already established Star Trek fans, we grew up watching either TOS or TNG and it's 3 spin off series and love every one of those older shows and their casts, as would most Star Trek fans but I guess we'll have to wait and see if this new crew bring in a new generation ready to drown our Star Trek out the way TNG did with TOS for a time.

One thing is for certain, history is most definitely repeating itself with Discovery.

#30 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

The thing is though, TNG, DS9 and Voyager progressed into the future of TOS and did not attempt to go back and throw it out though. Discovery is.I believe it is a mistake to go back and change the aesthetics of an established time period. They should have either proceeded post Voyager are further into the future unless they were willing to go back and be faithful to the aesthetics of existing show canon.

#31 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:38 PM

Christ, must we go down this road again? This issue has been beaten into the ground here and everywhere.

#32 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:16 PM

Christ, must we go down this road again? This issue has been beaten into the ground here and everywhere.

Perhaps it's been discussed already but it's still a huge issue that many people have a problem with so it's not going away anytime soon. This was not an issue with TNG, DS9 OR VOY. It is an issue with this show.

#33 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:36 AM

Sorry Alteran195... thats my fault for throwing out some troll bait.

#34 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:58 AM

While a review embargo does exist, this is the first vague review of the first 3 episodes I've seen:

http://mashable.com/...m/#ohOi36NJViqo

#35 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

Its always the same... 

gallery_26_18_161966.jpg

It's funny how people throw these type of articles up as a way of saying "see you're just being close minded like these guys in the past". It's really just a way of trying to diminish the validity of what are now very real concerns about the new show or perhaps a way for those who've bought into the new series to bury their head in the sand and try to believe that this is still going to be "real" Trek. The primary complaint then was you can't do Star Trek without Kirk and Spock. For some people this was completely the case. I have a friend who grew up in the 60's. He isn't what you would call a Star Trek fan, he watched the show when he was young so is familiar with the characters and has nostalgia for the show. The only other Trek he cared about was Abrams Trek because of the nostalgia factor. These are the type of people they interviewed back then for these articles. They weren't really fans they were just people who casually enjoyed the show and often were people who "didn't get" the real reason for Trek. Most of the criticism surrounding Discovery (and there's a whole lot more of it than TNG had) is based in very solid concerns of the quality of the stories, not something trivial like not characters to change.

#36 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

While a review embargo does exist, this is the first vague review of the first 3 episodes I've seen:
http://mashable.com/...m/#ohOi36NJViqo

Sounds very promising!

#37 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

Actually 1701D... the message is people shouldn't fret so much about the new series... because when they have in the past, its all worked out ok!

#38 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:10 PM

Discovery is gorgeous:
ZoMoqIT.jpg

#39 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:45 PM

Could Discovery be a time ship?

Lorca did say that they're discovering a new way to fly? Could this ship travel through time and into alternate universes etc...

#40 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:54 PM

Could Discovery be a time ship?
Lorca did say that they're discovering a new way to fly? Could this ship travel through time and into alternate universes etc...

I’ll answer this because there are spoilers about what that line meant.
Spoiler

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users