89 replies to this topic

#21 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jul 3 2010, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why re-linquish it if they don't have to? I mean no one else is clamoring to get it, and it probably doesn't cost them anything if they don't use it.

How do we know either of these two things?

#22 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jul 2 2010, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm? Doesn't Hasbro also own Master Replicas now? Trek Tech like those amazing lightsabers might be nice.

Master Replicas are now Factory Entertainment - Hasbro bought the rights to produce the Force FX lightsabres i believe?

The thing I see with DST is that i CAN'T see how they are ever going to get another Star Trek figure out. There is really no way forward for them in terms of figures unless they help whoever has the next Trek movie license (heres hoping for Hasbro) however if it is Hasbro i would assume that they would want the entire license Classic and old and release figures in a similar way to how they released the Iron Man toys - Classic/Vintage Collection and 2012 Movie Series.

I would suggest to CBS and DST that for the next movie they give a license that covers all aspects of Classic Star Trek to Hasbro (Star Trek: TOS, Star Trek: TNG, Star Trek: DS9, Star Trek: VOY, Star Trek: ENT & Movies 1 - 10). Give the JJ Abrams Movie license to Hasbro also (Star Trek, Star Trek 2) and any future Star Trek production (TV, or otherwise), Allow Hasbro to do cross over products with Star Trek - Star Trek: Transformers, Star Trek: Titanium's, Star Trek: Unleashed, Star Trek Vs Star Wars etc... For DST let them keep a license to produce ships and tech from the classic franchise as long as they up the quality and detail to each giving their ships a defined description as collectors items rather than toys - the price would also reflect this.

#23 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jul 3 2010, 04:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why re-linquish it if they don't have to? I mean no one else is clamoring to get it, and it probably doesn't cost them anything if they don't use it... the main thing is that AA/DST does have a lot of capital investment into the line in the form of molds. So I think they really do want to find ways to recoup that investment, but if stores just won't buy the line what are they to do?

What are they to do? What we have all been telling them all along, go the mattycollector route. Let Hasbro have a line of 3 3/4" retail and let DST do with Star Trek, what they do for Marvel Select. Then I think we would all be happy!

#24 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (pickard @ Jul 3 2010, 05:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do we know either of these two things?

We don't know anything for certain. We're just having a discussion here. I'm making some assumptions, one of which seems obvious. No one is clamoring for the license. I say that because if they were, and DST had it tied up, I get the feeling DST would cash out if it made sense. We do know that the license DST has is pretty specific (at least I think we know this)... I say this because the fact that a company like Dragon can make 12" scale action figures means that other companies can make action figures, which means (I think) if another company wanted to make 3 3/4 I think they could. From a business perspective, if you have something that is costing you money even if you do nothing with it, then your going to try and get product out, even if it breaks even, because that license is costing money. The fact that DST isn't doing that, suggests that they probably pay a royalty per unit they make/sell

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jul 3 2010, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What are they to do? What we have all been telling them all along, go the mattycollector route. Let Hasbro have a line of 3 3/4" retail and let DST do with Star Trek, what they do for Marvel Select. Then I think we would all be happy!

I don't see any reason why Hasbro can't do a 3 3/4 line if they want to (see above). I think they don't want to. Matty is a love / hate thing with most collectors. It started out pretty slow for MOTU and as such almost died a early quite death before it got going. Then the line took off and the site has suffered crashes and product shortages galore!

The real question is where are the fans that will buy Star Trek Product? With the exception of the original playmates line, Star Trek action figures, have been largely unsuccessful in the market place, and now that there is no media tie-in I don't see the heady playmate days ever returning. So we have to come to grips that Star Trek Action figure collecting is a niche market.

#25 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

From my experiences from reading toyfare for quite a while, there is usually an "action figure license" that covers all scales. The 12" figures are more like dolls and would not be covered under that. Now if Dragon Toys did a 12" hard plastic line that would probably be under the action figure umbrella. Now there could be a DC Direct/Mattel like deal where things have to be agreed upon by each company. Im still not sure how that even works but it seems like everyone is happy.

I love the stuff DST does with the ships and even though I dont collect the tech, I still admire it from afar but the intervals at which stuff is relased is way too long for my tastes. Id love to see more regular stuff maybe twice a year instead of what it seems like the once a year we get now.

#26 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jul 3 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The intervals at which stuff is relased is way too long for my tastes. Id love to see more regular stuff maybe twice a year instead of what it seems like the once a year we get now.

Yeah...I agree with that, I mean earlier this year DST said they wanted to get out the BoP AND the Excelsior/Ent B Variant out this year...that isn't gonna happen unless we see one of them like this month.... and the other around X-mas.

#27 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:26 PM

It's a shame that anything from TNG onwards is severely on the back foot in an action-figure sense, but I only bemoan that out of respect for most of you here (I don't collect figures).

I am encouraged to see them mention the Defiant again. I really don't care how big any prospective model of it would be, just as long as the lights are as nice as they are on the Enterprise-D, and the deflector dish isn't red! The guy who asked the question about it, I really liked his idea of making a small, plastic, non-lit version to be thrown in with a big one, as I'd love to have one in scale with my E and D.
My ideal size for the Defiant would be almost the same dimensions as the NX-01. The Defiant was a (tough!) little ship, so I'd be fine with them translating that into a nice, compact model in that sense. Just please, make it!

I'll take anything I can get though when it comes to ships and props though. smile.gif

#28 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:49 AM

For all we know DST is running their Trek line into the ground before their license expires before 2012 when someone else *cough*Hasbro*cough* take over as master toy maker.

It seems ridiculous that DST still have a license to a franchise that Paramount AND CBS want the best for in terms of profit - without DST making any figures and only one space ship every so often and with delays and quality control issues that are pushing customers away, they are losing profit, and everyone loses. With a company like Hasbro, they are without a doubt the leading toy manufacturer, they produce not only toys with a lot of interactivity but each toy is built to a standard even DST struggle to reach, they have the advantage of a lot of cross over lines (Star Wars Transformers, Titaniums) which could be applied to the Star Trek model- who wouldn't want a Enterprise that transformed into a robot! for a kid that would be amazing, for a transformer nerd it would be unreal and for Star Trek's popularity, well it could only do good. In short, Hasbro offer Paramount and CBS a vast portfolio of knowledge and understanding when it comes to making toys that appeal to both the child and the collector. DST in comparison just don't cut it anymore. Speaking as a once proud DST and AA collector, I am so uninterested in their product now, it's so boring, if you look at Hasbro and what their doing with Star Wars, the big Millennium Falcon, the big AT AT in times of economic doom and gloom, and i simply just don't accept DST's ridiculous excuse that Star Trek just doesn't sell. Back in 2005 sure I wouldn't have blamed them for giving Trek the heave ho but now? come on! rather than being the fault of Star Trek, I believe that the fault in why their toy's aren't selling lies with DST itself - time after time their products are dogged with delays after delays - pushing people like me away, when product does eventually come out it's dogged with quality issues that simply aren't issues with toys from Hasbro, Neca etc... and to top it all off we have figures canceled based on pre-orders - no, i am sorry, these Q&A's are pointless, the truth is, DST should have given the license up as soon as they ran into what they believed to be a lack of interest in Star Trek - we know now that this is simply not true, people out there are gagging for it - the film boosted it's profile - on UK TV we're treated to at least 4 episodes of TNG, DS9, VOY a day!!!!! meaning that someone out there must be watching. When will DST (and PM) for that matter wake up and come to peace with the fact that it's their fault and not the fault of Star Trek - give the license to Hasbro and we'll see more variety, more risks, more figures and amazingly detailed die-cast ships!

Sure, Hasbro might not produce Trek like they produce Wars, it may just be products based on the new movie and TOS but you tell me we wouldn't get something that re-ignighted the passion we all have for toys!

Like Rick Berman and his 20 odd years as Star Trek overlord, eventually your going to run out of ideas, eventually rather than appealing to the broadest audience out there, you begin to only appeal to the hardcore faithful - I truly believe that this is what has happened to DST's Star Trek line, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the only people buying Star Trek items from them now are the faithful and loyal contributors of this fantastic forum, people who've saved up and stuck by DST through hell and high water. I believe that for the good of the license and for the good of the franchise and to cement it's place in the aisle at toys r us and the minds of the kids who will inherit Star Trek off us all one day, for it to survive, just as the franchise needed JJ Abrams, CBS need to re-vive the license by handing it to Hasbro - by giving them the freedom to do what they have done so successfully with Star Wars, GI-Joe and Transformers to name but a few, i feel that they would be giving the merchandise aspect of Star Trek a real boost.

Unlike DST (and for that matter Playmates!), Hasbro is a house hold name, they have a vast reputation as the leading toy manufacturer, they are at the cutting edge of toy making, delivering toys that appeal not just to kids but to collectors too, by giving Star Trek to Hasbro - you are giving it to a tried and tested company who have an abundance of skill, knowledge and understanding in producing toys that regardless of their name will find their way off the shelves at TRU. Star Trek is growing in popularity, had Hasbro had the license for the 2009 film i believe that with the correct marketing and the use of their cross over brands as a tool to get kids interested in the line - Star Trek: Transformers, Star Trek: Titaniums, Star Trek: Unleashed and perhaps even a Star Trek Vs' Star Wars set of something we would be talking about new releases from Hasbro.

Reading that Q&A just infuriates me, it's the same old thing month in month out, nothing ever changes, nothing ever excites me or builds my hopes, the ships are too little too late, i've lost interest, I am a Trekkie ( i don't like the name Trekker) first and foremost but i would rather spend my money on that amazing vintage line and big AT AT from Hasbro's Star Wars line than spend money on DST's BoP - i just know mine will have a defect or something, it all just wreaks of a company struggling hard to stay in business and a company with a license they don't know what to do with - grrrr, sorry guys, i digressed a lot but man this pisses me off so much as i am sure it annoys many here! I want Star Trek toys that really get me excited again!!! Hasbro have excited me no end these past few months with the release of their vintage Star Wars line and their big AT AT - I mean Hasbro these past few years have a had a tough time as have we all but yet they plough on, with a franchise the size of Trek, with a fan-base the size it is now, with the future of Trek looking brighter rather than dismal, I simply can't believe that a multi- billion dollar franchise which has just as much appeal as Star Wars isn't popular. I simply cannot believe that and for that reason i foot the blame solely at Diamond Select Toys for not having the resources or the gumption to handle the master license for Star Trek- I simply don't believe that the buyers are saying Trek won't sell, I am sure there' saying DST's Star Trek doesn't sell, Playmates Star Trek doesn't sell, why? because it's all shit, far too many delays, quality control issues to the back teeth, each company have produced toys which are well, BORING!!!! toys that no kid would ever get excited about, a lack of anything remotely exciting or innovative compared to Hasbro's toys, lines that have sorely gone un-advertised or marketed properly - the closest we got was Playmates advert and TRU displays but the toys were shit!. CBS need to bundle the movie and the classic franchise licenses together and give it to Hasbro. Rant over, sorry guys sad.gif kicks desk tongue.gif

#29 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:35 AM

QUOTE (1701 @ Jul 5 2010, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For all we know DST is running their Trek line into the ground before their license expires before 2012...

That seemed like a silly comment to me, but then I found this quote fron DSTChuck on AFI...

DSTChuck: I come in and immediately begin plotting how many things we can do at DST that will truly upset as many customers as I can. smile.gif

http://www.actionfig...Interview.shtml

So it must be true! not only that, but this is proof that DST has been trying to ruin the Star Trek license for years now as that interview was prior to the new movie!

#30 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jul 5 2010, 05:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That seemed like a silly comment to me, but then I found this quote fron DSTChuck on AFI...

Dude, lets calm down man, It could be true after all! Don't get me wrong, what DST have done with Star Trek has been great but now? where do they go with it? re-release after re release of old sculpts, re used body parts, more of the same arguments between DST and fans?. Listen man, we might not get anything new from Hasbro in terms of what they make (classic Trek, new movie Trek) and I'm not wanting to diss DST or you, but its like with everything, sometimes you just gotta move on. I'm not taking the piss or being silly, I'm just fed up of DST now, i think most people are! can you see the parallels between DST and Rick Berman? all good things come to an end, Just like Berman, DST have had their time to shine, and shine they did but I don't see any new direction, fresh approach to Trek and I dont really see anything that blows me away and that suggests a future for Star Trek at DST anymore, whilst the BoP and Ent B looked good and all, It just wasn't great stuff, it was solid but didn't scream buy me now, you know you want me! and I'm like the biggest nerd!! I'm just saying it would be nice now for someone else to provide the toys - I think as things stand with the Star Trek franchise at the moment, with all the great things that have happened to it with the release of this fresh take on Trek by JJ Abrams, love it or hate it, it's breathed new life into a stagnating franchise. Love them or hate them, Hasbro would do the same.

#31 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (1701 @ Jul 5 2010, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think as things stand with the Star Trek franchise at the moment, with all the great things that have happened to it with the release of this fresh take on Trek by JJ Abrams, love it or hate it, it's breathed new life into a stagnating franchise. Love them or hate them, Hasbro would do the same.

Has great things happened with the Abrams Trek? I haven't seen it. It seemed more like the standard summer blockbuster that was hot for the first couple of weeks, but was over once the theatrical run ended. It didn't bring any new fans into the fold as I haven't seen one new person on any of the forums I hang out at coming on because of the new movie. The toy line tanked and hasn't ignited any new interest in the other Treks or their respective merchandise. I haven't seen any excitement over Trek go past the first week or two of the movie's release. It just hasn't happened. The only reason there was any excitement at all is because it was an exciting big budget movie. But it wasn't the kind of thing that would create any long-term or hardcore fans for the franchise. It was just a fun summer movie that anyone could get into and have a good time, but it wasn't something that stuck in people's heads or resonated in their psyches. It wasn't something that ignited their imaginations or got them to think about issues in a deeper way.

DST isn't deliberately trying to run the license into the ground. The fact is Trek is pretty much dead in the mainstream right now. The only people that are still interested in Trek and Trek merchandise is the very deepest core of the fan base because that is all that is left. We've shed a lot of fans over the past decade and we haven't been able to bring in any new fans to replace them. It's just not happening. Until then, it doesn't matter who has the license, the same thing will happen and it will happen sooner rather than later. The Playmates movie line tanked faster than you could blink and even news that they wanted to pursue a TOS line wasn't enough to save it. The interest simply is not there, so it doesn't matter who has the license. If stuff doesn't sell, more stuff won't get made.

It doesn't get us anywhere for Hasbro to get the license, release one wave, then cancel the line. And I can pretty much guarantee in the current state the franchise is in, that is exactly what would happen. It would just put us right back where we are, with another incomplete line. And having to start over on a new collection that probably wouldn't last anyway is not an avenue I would want to pursue. If the license changed hands and the format changed again, I would think it is time to stop collecting altogether as it would be too much time, money, and trouble to have to start all over again. It would have to be a fantastic line to get me to even consider it and, even though Hasbro's products are nice, they aren't spectacular.

#32 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:51 AM

I'm all for a Hasbro Star Trek line. Thats where the line should have went in 2009! Seriously though, Paramount should have had the sequel ready to roll within 6 months of the 2009 movie. This three year layover is doing nothing to keep the momentum going! I do sense alot of similarities in the Q&As with DST and interviews with Rick Berman. I honestly believe the DST action figures are uninspired. I can almost say the same for the Playmates line. Build-a-figure waves would have been so much better than Build-a-bridge. Just do a damn good playset next time Playmates! If there is a next time. If Hasbro picked up the line and completed crews and added aliens I could see myself putting all my old DST and Playmates stuff up for sale, because Hasbro product would be more consistent with the type of figures I collect anyway. I've always been more of a fan of 3 3/4" figures. The only exceptions are Masters of the Universe and Dr Who! Outside of that 6-7" figures just really aren't for me, but for those that like that scale, I hope DST will at least keep a few of these coming out for you all!

#33 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (1701 @ Jul 5 2010, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude, lets calm down man, It could be true after all!

No way man! Once I'm spun up it's "Go Time"!! blink.gif
Look, Just in case you can't tell, I'm mess'in w/ya. wink.gif

If we can't agree on a few simple basics, then you probably shouldn't respond to anything I write.

1. All companies are in business to make money. This includes DST, CBS, Hasbro etc.

2. Assuming 2 is true, then no company would knowingly sabotage themselves from achieving profit and success.

See, anytime someone makes the argument that company X is trying to run product Y into the ground means that neither of the above rules are true. It means the company has some other motivation... I don't know what the motivation would be to spend / loose money while calling yourself a business. I could fantasize that they are really a money laundering front for drug dealers, but if so, they sure seem to have gone to allot of extra trouble. It would seem there would be an easier way!

It seems, predicated on the rules I've laid out, that truth is simpler.

If we assume that DST knows its target market, knows its price point, and has been manufacturing the best possible product they can for those variables, then maybe the truth is that the Target market is simply too small to make a profit. In other-words, the market doesn't really exist. We could go down the path that there is a huge target market for Star Trek action figures, and DST has completely miss-managed that market. The scale, the quality, the quantity, marketing strategy, price point etc.

The later argument is the one that people are basically making when they say give the license to some other company. But you know what? another company did have a go at it, and it didn't really "go" anywhere now did it? The executives at Playmates seemed to look at the idea of offing a 3 3/4 scale line of the "classic" shows, but they seem to have basically come to the conclusion, that there wasn't a market for that product at this time.

2012 will be here before long. The license will go up for renewal at the same time a new movie is coming out, and I bet Paramount & CBS will try to strike a deal for a more widespread line and license. So we'll know soon enough, but until then, I just think the the market simply doesn't exists. The Worf / Gowron was a great 2 pack, and there was every indication that the Kruge / Maltz 2 pack would be even more spectacular, and yet, DST couldn't garner enough retailer orders to make it!

#34 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

Well said, Gothneo,

Keep in mind that there aren't as many Trek fans still in the fold as there use to be. On top of that, most Trek fans probably aren't toy collectors and wouldn't be interested in buying even Trek toys.

The MOTU classics line has been used, including by myself, as a good guide to a new business plan. However, after some thought, I don't think that's true. MOTU started out as a toy line (sure there was the cartoon, but that was really just a vehicle to sell toys). So the great majority of MOTU fans still around are more likely to be toy collectors/fans as well. That's not going to be true of any remaining Trek fans.

So take the small number of fans that are still interested in enough to have stuck around and couple that with the fact that only a small fraction of those are toy collectors as well, and the numbers probably aren't there to support a toy line past a very small scale.

I think the reason the Starship Legends and Trek Tek lines have done better is because they can be considered "models" and "replicas", things that a fan who doesn't collect toys would be more willing to look at and purchase. Most adults aren't willing to buy figures as they probably view it as something for kids only. But a model ship or a prop replica is something they wouldn't be embarrassed to have their friends and peers see, or at least less so than a bunch of action figures.

#35 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

My figures are all proudly on display, without shame. cool.gif

#36 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

Well I have to disagree with two things:
1. I think Trek is still pretty popular. I will echo 1701's comment about the amount of Trek on TV in the UK is just as much in the US. I can turn on the tube and usually stumble on one of the series mostly NextGen. The new movie may not have brought new fans into the hardcore mould, but what it did do is make Trek more acceptable to the mainstream. So instead of 90% of the people giggling when I say Im a Trek fan maybe only 50% do (LOL).

2. I dont think DST is trying to kill the line but its definately not doing it any favors by letting it sit. Theres also something to be said for DST being a small company who cant really maximize the license. Every release they make has to be spot on because even one mistake can kill the company. Hasbro on the other hand can put out tons of junk and probably never even bat an eye if it all gets clearanced. If youve looked at some of the 1 sec of screen time characters they choose for Star Wars that sit on the shelves you know what I mean. I think Hasbro or any other bigger toy maker can also strike more favorable deals with the good factory owners in China. Even though MOTU is a smaller run, Im sure they get a better deal because they are bringing the bigger fish along with in DC and WWE. DST doesnt have that luxury as we have been told mutiple times in Q&As with the lack of availbility in factory space/rates. Im pretty sure the big dogs dont have to contend with that.

#37 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Popular for casual viewing is different from having a large group clamoring for merchandise like they did in the early to mid-90's. That group began to fall sharply by the late 1990's and has only continued to decline. For that matter, popular for casual viewing every so often is even different from having a dedicated viewer base to sustain a new series, which I don't think there is at this point in time.

#38 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

The biggest problem for the decline in viewers was the fact that the show was pulled from channels everyone could catch and moved to UPN. UPN moved the show to timeslots that nobody with any kind of social life would be able to watch. Remember DVRs weren't so common at the time. If they broadcast a Star Trek show on a CBS affiliate at a decent time I'm more than sure Star Trek would enjoy a healthy viewership and a reinvigorated fanbase.

#39 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

Well the first step is getting people to watch. Its amazing that when I watch something like Jurassic Park I want to go on ebay and look up some stuff I never got when I was collecting 15 years ago. You also might expose new people who are too lazy to flip the station. If you are in more peoples consciousness, you have a better opportunity to turn that into advertising dollars. Five years ago I couldnt even find when Trek was on let alone run into it by accident at least a few times a week

#40 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jul 5 2010, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hasbro on the other hand can put out tons of junk and probably never even bat an eye if it all gets clearanced.

I think fans of the Indiana Jones license would disagree. Hasbro, has as much to risk as DST. There is a magnitude of scale here... Hasbro is bigger, and employes more people, therefore it must produce and sell more product. A huge miss for Hasbro, such as the Indiana Jones license has big ramifications.

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jul 5 2010, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If youve looked at some of the 1 sec of screen time characters they choose for Star Wars that sit on the shelves you know what I mean.

Star Wars is the "gold" standard when it comes to action figures, but even it's fans get tired of the endless re-paints and kit-bashes that are thrown out there. But that aside, again, I think your falling into the trap that there really is a huge market for the product and that DST just isn't hitting the variables with respect to that market. I like the role play stuff they do. and they seem to do well with it because they have really expanded the role play line. at first all they would do is re-issue phasers, but finally they did the communicator and tri-corder, and based on that success we've gotten more. so there seems to be a market for role play.

One more thing people need to be aware of. Things are changing quickly with regards to labor in China. I was in China for several weeks last month, and everyday there were new stories about labor strikes and wage hikes going about on mainland China. Remember one of the main variables to sell anything, is that you have to know the price point your customer will pay. With rising wages in China, the cost to manufacture product will rise. We've been seeing it allot, and it's not the end. Expect prices to rise further. Every figure from Matty for MOTCU cost close to $30 by the time your done with shipping and handling and a large part of that is the labor to manufacture them. I'm sure quite a few people here would pay that kind of money, but is it enough? Matty hasn't released production run numbers, but the assumption is the numbers are in 10k+ range, which seems like allot, but for mattel or hasbro a run is typically 100k+. So the question seems to be... are there 10k+ fans that will gobble up every start trek release if a company went the Matty route? DST, it seems, can't find 1701 in most cases! Playmates doesn't seem to think so either.

Remember, before AA picked up the license several years back... no one wanted it. Not to make toys anyway. And that was back when Enterprise was still on the air. I have to ask whats changed so dramatically in the positive direction that these other companies might want the license? Sure they all want a pieces of a new movie, and since the CBS / Paramount split, the license is a bit fractured so now the TV shows & movie licenses are different deals so companies went after the license for the new movie, and they probably will again for the 2012 movie, but it doesn't mean there is a market for the CBS portion of the license.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users