Photo

Custom Head Character Selection Process

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Who do you want made into a head cast? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you want made into a head cast?

1. The Doctor (3 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

2. Quark (4 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

3. Tuvok (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

4. Chakotay (1 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

5. Janeway (4 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

6. Paris (1 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

7. Tasha Yar (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:15 AM

From a fan's standpoint trying to round out my collection, I would rather have Quark. We really have every main cast member of DS9 except Quark, Nog, and Jake. Nog and Jake I really don't care if they ever make or not, but I'm bummed about the lack of a Quark.

From a customizer's standpoint, I'd rather have the Doctor for the reasons already mentioned. We'll have the best chance of actually getting the most heads purchased which will (hopefully) lower the price a little. This is all speaking strictly from a "custom head" standpoint. When I look at my collection, though, it seems kinda silly to me to have one lone Voyager figure that isn't even the Captain. (Yes, I know there's Timeless Geordi, but still...)

Of course, if I were DST looking for sales, I'd probably try for a 7 of 9/Janeway 2-pack, but that's not really pertinent to the discussion...

So, in the end :: deep breath :: I vote Doctor smile.gif

#22 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (s8film40 @ May 23 2010, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps someone would be willing to cast these for us at no charge and in exchange after the initial run was done this person could keep the original and mold and sell additional copies to recoup the costs. This seems fair to me and it would allow others to start in on building the crew if they come late to the project.

Ive actually been watching a lot of youtube how-to's and i am going to try my hand at it. If I am successful obviously it would alleviate a lot of problems. However, I wont be able to start for at least 2 weeks, but we've waited this long so wahts another few weeks?

#23 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:49 AM

I am in the process of making a mold of the Dr and then see what I can do about getting it to the correct size so that I can then make a correctly sized mold for a higher production run. It could fail horribly or turn out good. Either way I will try and keep everyone updated.

#24 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:12 PM

Well, I would like to see Janeway or Tuvok in the running.
You probably know that I am more into TOS then any other series. I think they have a good shot at multiples in my eyes for the crossover episode. Janeway might be the best first choice, to provide all of the Captains in the scale. But I would start with Tuvok, because I would not have to sculpt hair.

The best choice would have to be someone that is going to require the least amount of modifying, to give the non customizers something premade. Also important is one that can be modified, for those who like to do that, and might want duplicates. Next we dont want to alienate everyone by making half crews, like a certian company might do. And last, it has to be someone that everyone would buy, thus ensuring that the price will be affordable to everyone.

#25 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:06 PM

I think the easiest thing to do would be to have someone put up the $230 for the sculpt -- that is then theirs to make copies and sell. Conceivably, all you would need are 10 people to drop $23 to recoup the cost of the sculpt - anything after is profit which can be used to finance a new sculpt. It wouldn

#26 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

I would be in for Quark or Janeway.

#27 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

Not sure who your customizer is, but maybe you could contact this guy...

http://www.skintucky...c/dmcdirect.htm

He has lots of 6" head and accessory castings that he sells... and as a customizer he may be willing to take on a project to shrink and make some castings... if for no other reason then he seems to have a good following of customizers that go to him for heads.

If we could get some one like this to maybe commit to try at least one character, if it was a success, he might sign up to do more.

I should add, I voted for Janeway, I'd like to finish off the 5 captains and a Janeway base body can be kitbashed from some DS9 characters.

#28 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ May 24 2010, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure who your customizer is, but maybe you could contact this guy...

http://www.skintucky...c/dmcdirect.htm

Those are much more attractive prices, I think we would have a lot more interest in this if we can get the heads to around $5 each.

#29 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:47 AM

Yes, that's why I was suggesting this. Even if he charged $8 per head, it would still be more attractive, but at around $5 a head you can pay a customizer to paint it if you like and still come into a reasonable price.

Maybe he'd try one to see what the response was, and if it was good enough, he'd do more. Heck he says right on his page that he'll take suggestions, and if you loan him stuff he wants to cast he'll hook you up.

This is a bit of a special case as it's not just a straight casting, we need him to shrink down the heads to the 8" scale.

#30 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:07 AM

your also limited to only doing what playmates has already done otherwise he doesnt really show any free scuplts. the main cost comes from the initial scuplt and not so much the casting.

#31 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:36 AM

Ok I'm a little confused does he just cast heads or sculpt. It's not real clear on the website, he does say he does sculpting though.

#32 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

I think he does both, but if were looking for a lower price point I think shrink and cast of something playmates has done is the what we'd have to do. I guess I thought that's what you guys were looking at, but if your going for all new sculpts then were going to shell out more.

Personally I'd like to see how a shrink and cast of a playmates figure would look before shelling out more money.

#33 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

Given these new developments Ive moved the discussion back to the other thread. Im also formulating a list of characters that is not covered by the 9" playamtes figures which most importantly consists of pulaski, yar, and torres off the top of my head. Are there any others that would fall under an "important characters" category?

#34 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ May 26 2010, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Given these new developments Ive moved the discussion back to the other thread. Im also formulating a list of characters that is not covered by the 9" playamtes figures which most importantly consists of pulaski, yar, and torres off the top of my head. Are there any others that would fall under an "important characters" category?

Torres definately. She was the main one missing that I wanted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users