• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 iams001efni

iams001efni

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:31 AM

I picked one up from a comic shop on sunday... but as a stickler for accuracy I had to switch out the White LEDS for Red:

Vid:

http://s111.photobuc...0501_200437.mp4

Here it is compared to a professionally made screen accurate one:

Its pretty cool! Although it doesn't have any Saavik Quotes, which seems odd. Guess they didn't want to pay for Kirstie Alley's voice rights hahah.

Also theres no mode for just pressing the button to turn on the lights, like push to talk, like in the movie, even though in the call back mode where the back button doesn't do anything, they could have put it there, but still... oh well... I'm working on it lol\

But its a great replica!!!

#62 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:57 AM

QUOTE (iams001efni @ May 3 2011, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I picked one up from a comic shop on sunday... but as a stickler for accuracy I had to switch out the White LEDS for Red:

Neat! Was it pretty easy to change out the LEDs ???

#63 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:16 AM

iams001efni, That looks great with the Red LED's. I'm sure that the extra one I ordered to play with will have to get the same treatment now that I've seen that.

#64 iams001efni

iams001efni

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ May 3 2011, 03:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neat! Was it pretty easy to change out the LEDs ???

yeah-ish. The bottom ones are glued inplace, so depneding on how much glue they used it might be a pain to get out. One came out easily, but the other I ended up having to just drill through with an exacto and cut it up to get it out. Also the plastic is thin and brittleish. I mean its fine for play, but with how thin it is becareful when applying force on it if you do work on it.

QUOTE (FHC @ May 3 2011, 05:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
iams001efni, That looks great with the Red LED's. I'm sure that the extra one I ordered to play with will have to get the same treatment now that I've seen that.

hahah defiently. Im trying to find a way to do the push to talk lights, but my solutions that invloved using the exsisting button and leds wasn't going to work. I think Ill have to do a whole other thing for it with seperate Leds. I figured, since I replaced the white leds, with Red plastic Red Leds, then behind the bottom ones (if looking at the comm, main plate towards your face, and one near the top one, I would put clear plastic red leds, so that it isn't obvious there are other leds. The switch i have worked out too. But well see. I need to get some clear plastic leds first haha

#65 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

I got mine in the mail today!

All in all I't a nice piece!

To answer the question asked earlier. Its all plastic.

On plus side, the sound clips are nicely done. DST has had some problems with these in the past, but these all sound very nice!

My LED's seem white, not blue like those we saw in Sallahs review. Still I think Red would have been the better choice.

The Play button seemed a bit tricky... if I wasn't careful I would hold it too long which would abort the clip.

The paint was a bit scuffed on mine.

None of these are big issues... just nits really, so for the $35 this piece costs I say DST has a winner here!

#66 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:42 PM

Guess i need to get one then! Maybe DST is planning to make 3 different TWOK styles so they can sell you three different communicators instead on just the one, blue, red and white lights.

#67 trekkier

trekkier

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:40 AM

Anybody order it from entertainment earth receive confirmation on theirs yet?

#68 Oxnard Montalvo

Oxnard Montalvo

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:21 AM

These have now arrived in the UK. and I'm VERY impressed....

If I did have a nit to pick, and it doesn't really bother me, but would have made it perfect.... It doesn't 'flip' Ive gone back to the movie again since (Oh what a Chore wink.gif ) Kirk does indeed flip his open, not just opening it by hand. Im sure its probably something to do with the LED in the hinge, but thats just a very minor niggle for me. Overall, very happy indeed!

#69 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:39 PM

I got my TWOK communicator recently when i ordered my Pike/Salt creature set from BBTS. I think it is a neat addition to the Star Trek tech line, even though i have never been much of a fan of this communicator. I am a TOS communicator fan , and never warmed up to the bare bones look of the TWOK comm. It looks like an ice cream sandwich with lights to me, but nevertheless, i wanted to add it to my collection and support the line.

#70 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Jul 21 2011, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got my TWOK communicator recently when i ordered my Pike/Salt creature set from BBTS. I think it is a neat addition to the Star Trek tech line, even though i have never been much of a fan of this communicator. I am a TOS communicator fan , and never warmed up to the bare bones look of the TWOK comm. It looks like an ice cream sandwich with lights to me, but nevertheless, i wanted to add it to my collection and support the line.

Vulcan Fanatic ...I trust your opinion.... Is this worth getting for the price? I'm not a big fan of this Comm either.... but the more I see it ...I kind of would like it to go with my TWOK Phaser.

#71 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:56 AM

Is the TWOK Communicator worth getting? Its's huge !!! I hope they do the TSFS Comm. That was always one of my faves.

This was a quote from Prometheus over on the "ships" topic,

I've been very critical in the past of DST... Their 7 inch figures towards the end were lousy and the ships (TOS 1701 & TNG Enterprise D) have always seemed to me to be lacking the quality and detail Art Asylum put into their ships however... Their props have always remained solid but recently I've been revisiting some of their older merchandise (the TOS retro's, the first release of the TOS communicator with the metal grill and the WoK action figure/ship/prop line) and It's got me interested in this line again. I know many people here are sad to see the 7 inch action figure line go but I think it's been a blessing in disguise. It seems to me that by dropping the action figure line they have been able to put more resources into the props and the ships, looking at the Excelsior and BoP back in 2009, it seemed that, especially the BoP, they had improved ten fold. The Wrath of Khan communicator (and Phaser) goes back to that kind of quality and detail. I really love it.

By design it may not be everyone's favourite communicator but I personally find that style very very nice, rugged and designed for away missions into hostile environments. The lights ok should be red but thats a very minor thing, the sounds on it are SUPERB and it's the sound features on this that really set the tone. The plastic used seems durable and although it may have been cool to get it coated in a kind of metal (like the QMx Stunt Phaser), I've got to remember that this is a mid-range prop replica made by a toy company.

I don't normally praise DST this much but their beginning to impress me again (their Thor Marvel Select figures are beautiful). Go buy this thing now before you have to pay silly money for it on Ebay! It's awesome.

#72 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

Wow.... Okay..Thanks 1701.... I will get one asap ! I have wanted to get the Marvel figures also !! They look beautiful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users