Star Trek Into Darkness Figures

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
115 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

A few bullet points:

- I dont see toys dying out but I can see a different kind of toy, one that interacts more and allows interconnectivity between technology and toy slowly replacing traditional action figures which don't do much but stand there.

- I can see/have already begun to see the rise in popularity towards construction set toys, especially branded sets like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Marvel, Power Rangers etc... So I can see Lego, Mega Bloks and others such as KreO becoming even more prominent. If Trek is successful then KreO Star Trek sets could span not just the recent movies but also classic, classic movie trek and TNG trek too!

- Movie toy lines I think have really had it, it's all about established brands and unfortunately for most kids, Star Trek just isn't an established brand that could spawn a line like Star Wars. We'll be lucky if we see anything this year in terms of 3 3/4 inch action figures and it's by no means certain that the Star Wars line will continue in the form it takes now.

- Role-Play seems to be more and more popular as technology becomes more involved. The Star Wars lightsabers for example and the Marvel/SW interactive masks are hugely popular.

- I think eventually action figures will become more niche than mainstream. I think Hasbro's Star Wars line will continue unchanged now that Disney are going ahead with more movies, Other lines with Diamond Select, DC Collectables, NECA, Hot Toys, Mezco will remain as they always have done, I can't see much of a change there. Quantities are low and as long as people are buying then these companies will keep on producing - as has always been the case.

As things stand at the moment, what this all means for Star Trek is that I think mainstream kids toys will look more like KreO sets, game crossovers such as Star Trek Angry Birds and Role-Play items possibly lasting as long as a year, maybe longer if successful. Diamond Select will do as much as they can as long as it sells and possibly gain a license for JJ Abrams Star Trek in the coming years... But I think realistically we're going to see toys come out whenever there's a movie unless Star Trek Into Darkness is huge and kids start responding to it and Hasbro see the potential in a long term line that spans not just the new movies but the classics too.

#22 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

I don't see action figures dying off either. Evolving yes. My daughters have a bunch of those Skylander game figures. That is a pretty cool concept there, but they are static figures with no articulation. A gaming aspect would probably be the more successful way to promote action figures to kids. They could make a transporter pad to pull figures into a videogame in the same way that Skylanders uses its portal.

#23 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

I think in terms of Star Trek, it really does depend on how Star Trek Into Darkness does and whether or not CBS decide to focus on a younger audience with an animated series similar to Transformers Prime and Clone Wars.

at the moment though, Star Trek doesn't seem to be something kids are entirely sold on... I think Star Trek (2009) did well in introducing Trek to a new generation and a mainstream audience but that doesn't necissarily mean its gonna sell toys and with Into Darkness it seems they aren't exactly going for the kids market with this one.

You know we look at the direction Star Wars is going in and it's firmly headed into selling more toys, theme park rides and selling out to kids, where as Star Trek is more character driven and more about selling the storytelling rather than the merchandise.

What does seem to work is mid range product that suits older collectors and fans, the novelty items bought as gifts, joke presents for the fan and the high end replicas that sell to a few die hard Trekkies.

The Kreo sets could do really well since Star Trek construction sets have never been made to this extent and I think these sets could cross over to lego fans of all ages in general.

But it goes back to my first point, it really depends on how well Star Trek Into Darkness does and whether or not the studio(s) want to invest in marketing Star Trek to the younger audiences.

#24 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

You know my one concern with all of the interactive toys is how one dimensional they are. I've watched my niece play with her fijits, and she gets frustrated when it keeps looping on the finite set of commands it's programmed to do. She then doesn't want to play with it very long (maybe 10 mins tops if they're all singing together). She doesn't know how to play with it "imaginatively" beyond it's programing. And that's what worries me. She and my nephew (7 and 5 respectively) don't know how to imagine that a flashlight is a phaser/ray gun or that a stick is a magic wand. We actually had a BIG fight when I tried to do that with my niece instead of finding her an actual magic wand at the dollar store.

It really bothers me. I tried turning a large box into a car for my nephew and he just kept saying "but it's just a box!".

I sort of wonder if that's why the ST toys didn't sell so well with kids. There were no "action" features, and the playsets had no real interactive features either (yes, sound fx and the transporter had some play value). I wonder if a ship like a shuttle would've sold better.

#25 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

There is a bigger issue here and that is that kids are growing up earlier and faster these days. Technology and the media have unfortunately robbed many of our kids the pleasure of growing up the way many of us here grew up.

We also live in a very greedy and pressured world, everything is available at the click of a button and our kids are growing up expecting everything to be that easy, we don't allow our kids to enjoy childhood anymore, the stresses put on them are far to great and the years in which they should be enjoying life, learning and experiencing new things and yes playing with toys is fast being eroded by greedy politicians and beurocrats demanding better exam results.

Whatever happened to childhood?

This is bad news for toys because the more we push our kids to do well at exams rather than to learn new skills at their own individual paces, the less time our kids will have to enjoy their childhoods and enjoy the benefits of playing with toys.

Too much is expected of children nowadays, I think we should just let our kids grow up naturally rather than stressing them out with irrelevant tests and the stresses of reality.

#26 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jan 3 2013, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see action figures dying off either. Evolving yes. My daughters have a bunch of those Skylander game figures. That is a pretty cool concept there, but they are static figures with no articulation. A gaming aspect would probably be the more successful way to promote action figures to kids. They could make a transporter pad to pull figures into a videogame in the same way that Skylanders uses its portal.
The genius of Skylanders isn't the "action figures" themselves so much as it is the way that the figurines are used. The figurines are basically "physical Pok

#27 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Okay scale doesn't bother me so much as I collect both 3 3/4" figures as well as 6". What picks my knits lol, is 4.5", 5" and 7" those scales don't look good alongside any of the rest of my collection and that was my biggest gripe with Art Asylum and then DST. Hasbro has a license now so if figures do come from them its a good bet they will be in 3 3/4", they consider the 6" Marvel Legends scale to be the more "collector friendly" scale. This is PROBABLY where the confusion over whether they would do a collector line of figures. Now they may just go with a Kreo only line like they did with Battleship (Battleship sucked by the way. I'm seeing all those sets at 50%-75% off now), but if they look at the link below maybe they will be more innovative with the Star Trek license! Virtual Playsets and 3-D printing anyone? Sounds more like the beginnings of Holodeck and Replicator technology!

http://www.actionfig...figures-in-2012

#28 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

http://www.makerbot.com/

#29 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

It's not too much of a stretch to think eventually toy companies will tie into games like Skylander has done. Just look at what the iPad spawned when it came out for the first time and better yet look at what Star Wars toys did to toy merchandise. Huge impact. Now we're beginning to see the next generation and I would bet anyone that for kids toys (I don't see collectors toys changing much from the likes of DST etc...) will feature more interactivity just as Skylanders does now.

I doubt however we'll see that with toys from Star Trek Into Darkness, we are likely to see the Kreo line be the more substantial toy line for Trek with possibly role play and figures similar to the selection we see for Iron Man and Spider Man movies. Limited.

If Trek was to take off big time with the kids meaning that CBS launching animated series and video games for kids then yeah sure why not have Star Trek action figures you can use within a virtual game world via a transporter toy set but my gut feeling says that Star Trek Into Darkness will have a toy line that won't last more than a year as is the norm for movies these days. Trek is more for older teens and adults I think and most people will go enjoy the movie and buy the DVD but draw the line at collecting toys.

The success of the Kreo line may not directly link into the success of the movie but the desire from Trek fans as well as construction toy collectors to have Star Trek "lego". I think the Kreo Trek line could be really successful as one toy that does seem to be growing in popularity are construction sets.

As for the future of Star Trek toys.... It all depends on where the studio want to take Star Trek next and what kind of age range they want Trek to appeal to. I would say that right now a Trek toy line seems more suitable to have been given to Diamond Slelect as well as QMx with Hasbro or Lego been given the construction toy line.

#30 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Alex @ Jan 11 2013, 03:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, based on what I've seen so far, the KreO JJ

#31 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE (1701 @ Jan 11 2013, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still believe that its due to kids being given less opportunities to grow up the way many of us here did. I think the pressure on kids is immense both socially trying to become accepted by their peers but also how uncool it is now to still be playing with toys in year 7 of UK secondary school, you jut don't get kids being kids now, every kid has a mobile phone, every kid is fluent in using laptops or computers and kids are now more in love with their iPods.
1701, this seems to be a cultural difference between the US and UK as a whole. Although children in the US are indeed proficient in using computers (laptops and desktops,) and touch screen devices as a whole, (particularly the iPod Touch due to price point, but iOS devices and touch screen products as a whole,) but there's no stigma with toy ownership here that I've observed. UK secondary school would correspond to US Middle School if I'm not mistaken, and children in middle school still tend to have a good number of toys in the States. I started with computers when I was eight, and essentially grew up on technology much the way that the current generation does before it was a common practice; today computers and tablets are largely replacing traditional learning materials, which is why so many children have them in their hands at such a young age.

It's funny that Bgiles mentioned the 3D printing and the Makerbot in particular, as I've known about this technology for some time now, and was just listening to a satellite radio show discussion about it tonight. This is how we're going to be getting at least some of our toys in the future. Companies like Hasbro and DST won't be selling us a figure that they'll have to manufacture in China and we'll have to pick up at retail; instead, we'll go online to a digital store much like we use iTunes or Amazon for music, purchase a 3D CAD file of some sort, download it, and effectively print the toy ourselves with our 3D printer the same way we print text onto paper. 3D printers like the Makerbot really are real

#32 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (Alex @ Jan 12 2013, 04:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1701, this seems to be a cultural difference between the US and UK as a whole. Although children in the US are indeed proficient in using computers (laptops and desktops,) and touch screen devices as a whole, (particularly the iPod Touch due to price point, but iOS devices and touch screen products as a whole,) but there's no stigma with toy ownership here that I've observed. UK secondary school would correspond to US Middle School if I'm not mistaken, and children in middle school still tend to have a good number of toys in the States. I started with computers when I was eight, and essentially grew up on technology much the way that the current generation does before it was a common practice; today computers and tablets are largely replacing traditional learning materials, which is why so many children have them in their hands at such a young age.

I think thats very true. UK kids tend to play with toys up until they go to Secondary School at the age of 11. From 11 kids become very grown up

It's funny that Bgiles mentioned the 3D printing and the Makerbot in particular, as I've known about this technology for some time now, and was just listening to a satellite radio show discussion about it tonight. This is how we're going to be getting at least some of our toys in the future. Companies like Hasbro and DST won't be selling us a figure that they'll have to manufacture in China and we'll have to pick up at retail; instead, we'll go online to a digital store much like we use iTunes or Amazon for music, purchase a 3D CAD file of some sort, download it, and effectively print the toy ourselves with our 3D printer the same way we print text onto paper. 3D printers like the Makerbot really are real

#33 Lord Mudd

Lord Mudd

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Collecting 1/18 scale action figures: Star Trek, sci fi, and superheroes- Warhammer.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jan 11 2013, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hell yeah, been wanting one of these for 2 or 3 years.

CCC.

#34 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:50 AM

Toynewsi.com just posted an article about GI Joe Kreo being released on the 19th Feb and 5th March, could this be the Star Trek Kreo release dates too?

What's everyone getting in terms of Hasbro Kreo?

#35 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (1701 @ Jan 20 2013, 03:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Toynewsi.com just posted an article about GI Joe Kreo being released on the 19th Feb and 5th March, could this be the Star Trek Kreo release dates too?

What's everyone getting in terms of Hasbro Kreo?

Just tried to do some digging... February seems to be the prevalent rumor.

But so far the only known releases are the JJ-prise and Spock/Kirk/McCoy figures.
Prices? Unknown. Any guesses? I found someone saying $69.99.

Still feeling underwhelmed by the Enterprise.

I found this rumored list here:
February:
Foil bags (Blind bags)
Micro Build Ships
Big Vehicle
ALT Ship
Zipline Ship

March:
Transporter

Some of these have lighting.

#36 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

http://idlehands1.bl...k-universe.html

From the Article:

Beam Me Up Capsules: Individually foil packed (which usually means blind bags ie; you don't know what you are getting lest you have the feel-em-up powers). 18 figures are slated to start with characters from the movie and CLASSIC STAR TREK. Each Kreon figure comes with weapon accessories. February 2013

Micro Build Ships: Collect all 4 Micro Build ships inspired by the Star Trek movies! Each ship comes with a lighted display stand. February 2013

Transporter Set: No Kre-O Star Trek collection is complete without the transporter to beam figures to other planets! Watch as a Kreon figure is "beamed" to another planet surface with a push button light feature. Double-sided play using Kre-O flex pannels brings the transporter to life. Set includes 2 Kreon figures. March 2013

Zipline Ship: includes a light feature that can both illuminate the interior as well as rotate 90 degrees to create a spotlight below. Sets include working zipline feature, a small environment build and 2 Kreon figures. February 2013

(Alternate) Ship: features a lighted front cockpit, movable wings and missile launchers. A fold-down back ramp allows for easy access to the ship's interior. Set includes 4 Kreon figures with weapon accessories. February 2013

Enterprise Ship: Build and play with the most iconic Star Trek ship! This key ship features an opening lid to reveal the command bridge where the captain can sit within a lighted interior. Set includes a display stand, lighted warp engines, firing missile launcher and 5 Kreon figures. February 2013

Hasbro will also offer robust line of roleplay toys for kids and fans to act out the intergalactic saga as well as select new figures.

Found this on the topic "theories on Hasbro offerings" on this board

#37 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Link broken?

Guess I will need to work on my feel-em-up powers. Wonder what they mean by "classic"... I guess they must mean more than just TOS since that would by itself be redundant with the movie...unless they are going to draw from non-movie TOS aliens or something like a Gorn, etc.

Micro builders...inspired by plural movies? Hopefully that means more than the two reboot movies?

What the heck is a "zipline" ship? One that slides down a string?

"Movable wings" ==> BoP?

Personally I will probably pick up anything that is not based on the reboots, if anything... And will have to think hard about the rest. If DST is kicking minimates back into full gear I don't know how Kre-o minifigs will be able to compete.

#38 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

I think the zip line ship is the shuttle used to lower Spock into the volcano? May come with Spock, uhura and sulu?

As for the blind bags I'm tempted to just buy a box, may get duplicates but should get one of each character?

I would say the alternate ship is that ship seen in the trailer flying through all these huge structures.

The micro ships I could leave really.

Definitely getting the Enterprise and the alternate ship as well as the zip line ship.

Transporter really depends on how good that is as a set.

#39 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

I have to agree with Whirlygig, Minimates are going to give those Kreo figures a run for their money. Now a full line of 3 3/4" Star Trek figures on the other hand.....? I like what DST is doing with the Star Trek Select figures, but I see those more as display pieces. I want something along the lines of 14 POA (points of articulation) and I want interactive ships and play sets!

#40 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jan 21 2013, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to agree with Whirlygig, Minimates are going to give those Kreo figures a run for their money. Now a full line of 3 3/4" Star Trek figures on the other hand.....? I like what DST is doing with the Star Trek Select figures, but I see those more as display pieces. I want something along the lines of 14 POA (points of articulation) and I want interactive ships and play sets!

Are minimates in the same league though? Minimates aren't sold in TRU UK and have always seemed to me to be more for the adult collector rather than the kid.

Lets not forget these are kids toys for kids, not collectables.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users