Photo

Final chance to guess what the new Federation ship is...

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: AA/DST's new Federation ship - final bets! (21 member(s) have cast votes)

What's the new Federation ship being revealed at NYTF this weekend?

1. RELIANT NCC-1864 (16 votes [76.19%])

Percentage of vote: 76.19%

2. DEFIANT NX-74205 (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

3. Other (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:56 AM

I'm thinking we might as well make the most of the new news that we're getting, so what do you reckon? The favourites are definitely the Reliant and Defiant, but I've listed 'other' as a third option in case you think it's another ship. So cast your vote, and post as to why you think it'll be the Reliant what you think it is.

For me, as much as I'd love it to be the Defiant, I'm (as I've said before) one thousand eight hundred and sixty-four percent sure it's the Reliant. The era of Kirk and Spock is still the most profitable (so much so that the next alien ship is the Romulan Bird of Prey...), and this beauty is not only the first new type of Federation ship we saw that wasn't Constitution class, but was also taken over by Khan, one of the finest bad guys ever. A lovely model ship that sings Ricardo Montalban's voice has got to be a hit, so yeah, that's my bet. :)

#2 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:21 AM

Yep, that would make sense.  However, I feel like from the last Q&A that there was a hint it was the Enterprise C.  Chuck said "we'll have to see" at one question for the Enterprise C whereas the Romulan Warbird was basically a "too difficult" and the Reliant Question was not acknowledged.

#3 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:29 AM

I hope its the Defiant but i think its going to be the Reliant. 

#4 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:41 AM

Are there any takers for the Grissom?! It'd be the best troll I've ever seen - and I'd definitely buy it! :D

#5 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:06 AM

My vote went for the Reliant but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be another ship, maybe the Enterprise from the JJ Abrams movies though rather than the Defiant. Although I'd prefer the defiant!

#6 ensignmelkor

ensignmelkor

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:20 AM

I gave up trying to figure out DST's internal logic after they decided to release the Romulan Bird of Prey instead of any of the other ships they could have done instead (such as the Klingon D-7 or the K'Tinga, both of which would have given DST more variant options.) So I have no idea what the next Fed ships is, or even when it's supposed to be released. Since DST won't make certain popular ships because they say they can't afford to, and since new releases take so long to appear, this line is pretty much dead in my mind anyway. Having said that, if the next Fed ship is the Enterprise-C, I'll pick it up. We already got Khan voiceclips on the Enterprise Constitution class Refit, so getting them on the Reliant isn't a selling point for me. As for the Defiant, the Eaglemoss version is more in scale so I'm in no hurry to see a DST version. And then there's Voyager, but I was never a fan of that show.

#7 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:25 AM

The TOS Romulan Bird of Prey is pretty iconic and with the striking orange bird graphic on its belly does lend itself to a rather striking display piece.

#8 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:14 AM

I think the safe bet is Reliant.

I'd really want Voyager though.

Knowing my luck though it'll be the C. Last time I paid for a model, the B, they revealed the B and Excelsior.

#9 ensignmelkor

ensignmelkor

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:49 AM

I'd love a battle-damaged Enterprise-C--give it Rachel Garret / Tasha Yar clips and it would be awesome.

#10 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

I voted with my heart, hoping it will be the Defiant.... But rationally it will be the Reliant most likely.

#11 Javabean

Javabean

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:10 PM

Reliant or Ent C for me.

#12 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:15 PM

No new news yet (why not just tell us Zach?), but I saw this picture of DST's booth on twitter:

gewY9KZ.jpg

Hi-res: https://pbs.twimg.co...AAkTRI.jpg:orig

Bottom shelf, one in from the right, behind the divider (which is almost blocking the R-BoP). Other than the ship, I spy the Cobra, Troi and some minimates.

#13 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:15 AM

Maybe it will be revealed later??? Hmmm.... I hope so :(

#14 trekhunter1701

trekhunter1701

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:26 AM

Maybe it will be revealed later??? Hmmm.... I hope so :(

I'm not holding my breath again this year. It's obvious by the statements made about the Trek line that it is not going to get the same attention it used to and I doubt you'll see much in the way of new things anymore past this year. DST obviously has better lines now to give their attention to.

#15 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:27 AM

I'm going to go there: Ben would've just said what it was by now, and that's the difference between the two companies. :/
Spoiler

#16 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:30 AM

I'm voting for "other" and saying that it'll be U.S.S. Voyager NCC–74656. Why Voyager and not one of the seemingly more likely options? Because looking back at the most recent AskDST's, Voyager seems more likely to fit what DST has described than either the Reliant or the Defiant. Chuck put together a wishlist of DST's "top seven" ships stating that the list was "in no particular order," and that the Federation starships on the aforementioned list were the Defiant, Voyager, Reliant, and the Enterprise–C.

As of July 2015, Chuck noted that the Romulan BoP was originally supposed to be ready after the next ship. Supposedly, the ship was still so far from being finished as of last July that the Romulan BoP just worked out as being ready before the next ship. This would imply something with a relatively complex design, especially since Zach just noted that the design still isn't 100% final, suggesting a somewhat complex vessel. Based on the implications that the next ship is relatively complex, the Defiant should be easy to rule out on the grounds that it's size and general shape should require relatively small tooling, and only four dies (two pairs, one for the top and one for the bottom,) should be necessary for the majority of the ship, which is less than any other Federation design that would require separate dies for nacelles or other parts. Likewise, the Reliant should be relatively easy to tool as well given that the refit constitution–class saucer and nacelles could easily be used as the basis for the Miranda–class design, and that the most complex part of the tooling would be the rollbar. The complexity of the Reliant looks like it should be comparable to the Romulan BoP, and that doesn't scream of an incredibly intricate design.

With what I just mentioned about the Reliant and Defiant above, that leaves the Enterprise–C and Voyager as the only remaining candidates for the next Federation starship. On one hand the Enterprise–C seems like a possibiity as it's the only one missing from the original–E line–up, and while the sound chip could be challenging, the general sculpt shouldn't be anymore complex than the Enterprise–B, and should theoretically be simpler as there aren't any major sculpting variants of the Ambassador–class that need to be taken into account. On the other hand, Voyager basically has Klingon BoP levels of complexity because of it's pivoting warp nacelles. Something like pivoting warp nacelles (and landing gear) could easily have made Voyager as tough a nut to crack as the Klingon BoP and the Galaxy–Class Enterprise–D. Furthermore, a complex design like the Intrepid–Class would explain why DST's other ship on the drawing board at the same time was the TOS Romulan BoP, as well as why the aforementioned BoP was able to lap the next Federation starship. While Voyager shouldn't have any shortage of usable sound clips, and should be easily capable of being produced with multiple variants, (Year of Hell battle damaged, "warship Voyager" with Borg weaponry, and several others,) the design itself would be complex enough to explain the delays, and would fit within Zach's comments about variants being planned. (Technically, each of the proposed ships has at least one potential variant, including the Enterprise–C in battle damaged and non–battle damaged forms, but Voyager fits the bill for added complexity and variants best.)

Based on the information that's been provided most recently, it seems like Voyager or the Enterprise–C are the most likely candidates, as the Defiant and Reliant would be more likely to be paired with a more complex alien ship, whether it's the Borg Cube, (challenging because to paraphrase Chuck, "it needs to be more than a hollow plastic box,") or the TNG Romulan ship, (Zach has mentioned that this is a tooling challenge,) or even the Klingon TOS ship, (no word on whether it'd be a D–7 or K'tinga from the TOS movies.) Given that the next Federation ship was meant to be paired with the Romulan BoP, and that the BoP was pushed ahead in the release schedule because it was ready sooner, I have to believe that Voyager is the most likely candidate with the Enterprise–C being the second most likely. The Defiant seems the least likely to me, and if the next ship is the Reliant, I have to wonder what part of the design was particularly complex, at least to the point that the Romulan BoP jumped ahead of it in the release schedule. Again, the only thing I could think of with the Reliant would be the rollbar, and that doesn't seem excessively complex unless there's something about it that I'm missing.

Of course, I could be complete wrong and the Reliant or Defiant could wind up being the next ship we get, but having reviewed AskDST and comments made around here, I have to go with Voyager this time with the Enterprise–C following it. (I don't think the demand for the Enterprise–C was there when DST began work on their next ship, but I could be completely wrong. From what I remember, the attitude toward the Enterprise–C was "wait until we have the Enterprise–B and its variants" until those were actually released, and then the demand for the Enterprise–C hit since it's the only Enterprise DST hasn't done that they have the license too. On the other hand, demand for Voyager was up there with demand for the Defiant and Reliant, and it seems like the kind of thing that the late and great Thomas Sasser would have been eager to tackle given its aforementioned complexity.)

#17 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:47 AM

I hope you're right Arex.

#18 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:05 AM

I'm going to go there: Ben would've just said what it was by now, and that's the difference between the two companies. :/

Spoiler

You're not impatient but if you were could anyone else really blame you for being?

A licence DST have held for 10 freekin years; entering its 50th Anniversary and all diamond can show is a ship we've seen twice at shows, a phaser we've seen twice, a PVC statue that's already on sale and a handful of mini mates?

We know Khan and a new ship will be seen too but is that all? I don't buy the excuses Zach keeps using, Star Trek is a popular brand and whilst I'm not asking for them to do a whole Star Trek area, new, never before seen product, especially in its 50th year should have been the empahais here.

#19 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:20 AM

Hopefully they can actually show it unlike the RBoP where it couldn't be photographed. 

I also don't get why Zach couldn't just tell us what it is, if it's being revealed this weekend why does it matter at this point. 

#20 ensignmelkor

ensignmelkor

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:48 AM

Hopefully they can actually show it unlike the RBoP where it couldn't be photographed. 

I also don't get why Zach couldn't just tell us what it is, if it's being revealed this weekend why does it matter at this point. 

DST doesn't do the things it doesn't do because that's not what they do. And that's all the reason we need, I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users