47 replies to this topic

#1 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:38 PM

http://www.artasylum...y-of-star-trek/

30 particles per cubic meter and a class B comet.

#2 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:00 PM

Hahahah nice, Certainly worthy of our attention eh?

#3 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:38 PM

What are we doing out here chasing comets? Lol 

#4 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:52 AM

What's sobering is that film came out almost 20 years ago!  Time is moving at transwarp for sure.

#5 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:19 AM

So what's everyone's opinions on the chances we find out what the new ship is at New York Toy Fair, and why is it 0%?

Only joking, no need to answer! ;)

#6 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:26 AM

If like to see Chuck do a special 50th anniversary Star Trek AskDST where he does announce new product and spills the beans on product in development. I think that would be a cool way to say thank you to all of the fans who've stuck with DST.

As for toy fair, I think we will see the next select figure and the next federation ship.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Select Khan
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Starship Legends: USS Reliant
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Trek Tech: Phaser
Star Trek: The Original Series: Retro Figures
And more!

They have had so much time to work on new product and it's not like no ones known that this year is a big year for Star Trek and when DST is likely to sell a lot more product.

If not then they have just wasted a great opportunity.

#7 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:04 AM

I'm not really sure why I read these "Q&A's" anymore. They seem to be steadily becoming more and more Q and less and less actual A.

#8 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:32 PM

If like to see Chuck do a special 50th anniversary Star Trek AskDST where he does announce new product and spills the beans on product in development. I think that would be a cool way to say thank you to all of the fans who've stuck with DST.

As for toy fair, I think we will see the next select figure and the next federation ship.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Select Khan
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Starship Legends: USS Reliant
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Trek Tech: Phaser
Star Trek: The Original Series: Retro Figures
And more!

They have had so much time to work on new product and it's not like no ones known that this year is a big year for Star Trek and when DST is likely to sell a lot more product.

If not then they have just wasted a great opportunity.

Two new Trek items hit this week, and a dozen more new and re-released items hit later this year. More stuff will be shown and/or offered, and it may hit this year OR next. I'm sure people will have comments on that, but when you have a lead time as long as ours, you can either solicit them in the anniversary year or release them in the anniversary year -- it takes some precise timing to manage both. Gathering the orders in the anniversary year may work out better for all involved.

And we're constantly working on products, it's just that many of our products (ships, role play) each require 10-15 more steps than your average toy. Even the Select figures are like two different action figures in terms of sculpting, prototyping and painting. And the number of people who are qualified to work on each of them is limited, so it is often a "one thing at a time" approach -- the more people you have working on them, the more varied and inconsistent the results would be. So we finish them as soon as we're happy with them, solicit them to retailers and move on to the next one. We solicit the RBoP this month, and we're wrapping up a few more things for Toy Fair.

As Chuck said, retailers have not really been biting, in spite of the anniversary, so coming up with MORE Trek product that retailers may or may not be interested in doesn't have the same urgency. And of course, we already have ten-plus years' worth of proven, regular sellers to offer them that are in-stock and equally relevant to the anniversary. So the opportunities are there for retailers, including retailers who do not normally carry Trek stuff, even if that does not necessarily translate to new items for the collectors who already have everything. But we are making those, too.

#9 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:44 PM

As long as DST get some consistency going in their Star Trek releases so that there is a steady release, announcement and coverage of new product (not counting reissues and rereleases) coming out each year then that's fine, it's just that there has been no consistency in releasing or announcing product for DST's Star Trek line which has lead to frustration and people getting bored and uninterested. DST might not deal with fans directly in selling product to them, but you gotta ask the question; if buyers aren't interested in their product, is that because of Star Trek's popularity or because of customers not knowing or not being interested in waiting months sometimes years before anything new is announced or released?

I love what you're doing with the Star Trek ships but there's so much time between any of your Star Trek releases that I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of customers out there loosing interest or not really knowing that you still produce Star Trek product at all.

Then there's the reasons DST give us regarding retailers not biting... There's no evidence to support their reasons. Star Trek may not be Marvel, DC or Star Wars but sure enough CBS continues to sell the old TV series across the world, people are still turning up to see the new Star Trek movies and Star Trek is still making 20 million plus a year for CBS in merchandise. That there has been a constant interest in new companies taking up Star Trek licences suggesting there's still a market out there for product so I just don't buy that retailers aren't biting... Star Trek is a billion dollar business and as far as I can see and as far as I can research into this retailers and other company brands seem to be interested in Star Trek, but retailers don't seem to be interested in diamond select Star Trek...

DST needs to sort it out and get some consistency in their announcement of new product, they need to focus on their more popular sub lines like the ships and prop replicas by keeping people engaged in what they offer and to maintain steady release dates for new Star Trek product. Right now it is too unpredictable and product is releasing too few and far between, this often leaves customers unsure or unaware of DST still producing Star Trek items and retailers as a result are ordering less and less from diamond select.

If nothing new is shown or announced or released on a regular basis then customers won't know you still do Star Trek toys, will move onto another company's product (mega Bloks, Eaglemoss, Mezco, Mattel) and ultimately this will leave retailers not buying from you.

As for the Q&A, it isn't giving fans of your Trek product enough to get excited about when it should really both excite fans and be a way to gauge fan interest in what you do.

#10 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:33 AM

Yeah,I would say interest is there. At least someone is buying a license to do stuff.......if you look over on trekmovie.com,since I couldn't post the bloody link here!! Guess I'll just type it up then. Grrrr!

licensemag.com/license-global/star-trek-announces-32-new-licensees

If you can't see at that link then check out trekmovie.com

J-R!

#11 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:00 AM

Yeah that's a big amount of new licensees. URL: http://trekmovie.com...andise-program/

Randomly, here's an interesting thing I noticed:

Diamond Select Toys Facebook page has 29,483 'likes'. That means that just under thirty-thousand people will get to see news updates from DST in their main feeds.

Over on Eaglemoss' dedicated facebook page for the Star Trek Starships Collection (not a one-for-all page like DST, literally just their Star Trek business), they have 171,960 likes. That's nearly six times as many people who've liked their page, than those who've liked DST's.

To me, this just reinforces my opinion that DST need to do more to raise the profile of the Star Trek stuff they make. There's so much I'd love to say to clarify why I think this, but I can't be bothered typing out a massive post. lol :)

Also, in the time it took me to finish this post (about an hour, watching a program on quantum physics in the background, and pausing every once in a while to let it sink-in), the STSS page went up by 21 likes (171,939 to 171,960 as of time of posting). Mad!

#12 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:39 AM

The Eaglemoss factor is one DST should absolutely look at. They have done brilliantly at keeping fans engaged (pun intended) in their product and wanting more!

I don't really get why companies like DST (because it's not just a DST problem) don't take full advantage of an online presence. They have a set way of getting their product out to the masses and seemingly that's fine, but it's not is it, when one of their largest lines is continually seen as struggling with retailers not biting.

Why isn't DST doing more to invest in setting themselves up to selling direct to the customer world wide? Cutting out the retailer. I'm not saying it's an easy thing to do, to restructure your business but things are definitely changing around DST. With Mezco now taking on superb deluxe action figures in the 6 inch scale, if Eaglemoss and Hotwheels are doing superbly detailed model starships and if Megabloks are putting out a line of collectable construction sets, and other companies putting out prop replicas (NECA's foam bat'leth, the wand companies Phaser and Communicator) this leaves DST having to work even harder to get their product seen, and so far they've failed miserably at interesting us, let alone the majority who don't come to this forum or have liked DST's Facebook page. If Eaglemoss can continuously tease, announce, show off and excite and thrill fans around the world with their ships (of differing quality might I add) as well as sell direct to the customer as well as retailers on a global scale then DST could do it too.

There is no real reason for DST not announcing or teasing us their next ship, it's just stubbornness.

There is no reason why DST can't use screenshots or employ graphic artists to render beautiful CGI shots of their next Starship Legends ship...

There's no reason why DST can't make every ship they launch an event for fans, why they can't relaunch their starships line and number every ship they produce and make fans feel as if they are part of an ongoing collection of highly detailed electronic space ships.

The reason Eaglemoss works, is because fans feel as though they are a part of an exciting collection. Every release is a mix of well known and unknown ships and whilst DST couldn't do the range of ships Eaglemoss do, they could still maintain that level of interest by ensuring that every ship they do is something special and a part of a larger collection.

But no, DST are stuck in their ways and their way is just fine...

#13 Stargazer

Stargazer

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:25 AM

As Chuck said, retailers have not really been biting, in spite of the anniversary, so coming up with MORE Trek product that retailers may or may not be interested in doesn't have the same urgency. And of course, we already have ten-plus years' worth of proven, regular sellers to offer them that are in-stock and equally relevant to the anniversary. So the opportunities are there for retailers, including retailers who do not normally carry Trek stuff, even if that does not necessarily translate to new items for the collectors who already have everything. But we are making those, too.

Hopefully that will start to change when the new TV series airs, i'm sure it's not that easy to try and sell these things when you only have a film every 3 or 4 years to help promote the brand. 

#14 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:55 PM

We currently offer all of our Trek items DTC through our site, although the retros are currently only available in case assortments. And Trek is our biggest DTC license, in terms of both pre-orders and in-stock orders, but it is not a significant portion of our sales, most of which are still through retailers. We could advertise the store more, sell more, etc., but then we are taking sales away from other retailers around the world who are currently selling our products, and away from our sister company and distributor, who is trying to service those retailers. The product is out there for people to see, and it is promoted on places like startrek.com and other sites, but I do not think it is not being bought because people don't know we make it.

If people are not pre-ordering because they've lost interest, or because they don't like our products, then we can only do so much with promotions. We've been doing this for nearly 10 years, plus AA's run. New products and licenses have arisen; some have just as quickly gone away. But comparing us to Eaglemoss is really like apples and oranges, if you're trying to get us to emulate any sort of strategy they have. Every ship we make is different, every figure we make is different, and they've always taken a lot of development time.

BUT maybe that's what Trek fans want now: without weekly new doses of Trek TV, they need small, uniform, easily collectible, no-waiting items that they can buy on a schedule, one by one by one. Not a slam on Eaglemoss product, just an example of something we absolutely cannot do. I could set up a Facebook page solely about our Star Trek items, but Trek is not as large a percentage of our business as it is for Eaglemoss, and knowing Trek fans, it would take up a non-proportional amount of time to maintain it.

But new licensors are great. Yaaay new licensors. But getting a licensor who sees potential sales for their product at the retailers they service may not be tied to retailer polling, and may assume a future spike in interest. Not sure how many are coming for the new movie and how many are coming for the new show, and how many are coming for the 50th/classic. I guess we'll see. I don't know some of those companies, but we'll see how the ones that are actually selling in our categories and into our markets do.

#15 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

Well whether it's getting pre-order numbers up, or just going out into the various online haunts of the fans and generating interest that way (reddit would be a great place to start in my opinion), there's people out there who'd like to own big toy starships.

Also, actually giving people stuff to be excited about would be a great start. How about a quick blueprint-style diagram of the cobra phaser, maybe in an LCARS style, indicating what the basic functions of the toy are going to be (e.g. sound effects, as well as pointing out what buttons can be used, and what parts will light up)?

Do the same thing with the next Federation ship. A simple blueprint with styling from the show it's from, with a rundown of the ship's features on the side:

e.g.

U.S.S. RELIANT NCC-1864

Miranda class Starship
Features sound effects from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
and voice clips from Ricardo Montalban as Khan, and Walter Koenig as Chekov.

Light-up nacelles, impulse crystal and engines, shuttlebay doors, pod and bridge.

Lights-on feature also includes optional bridge sounds.

Now point out those areas that light up, as well as the activation button up top, and maybe even indicate where the batteries will go, and I'm telling you, that'd get me excited as hell. However, I'm sure you'll come back with a typically dry remark about how I'm wrong, etc. :)

EDIT: Also, don't just tell us what the next ship is, show us the prototype pictures, like how that one guy who's in charge of the 'other' thing does. No one knows what the ships look like more than fans, so what's wrong with letting them judge the early paint prototypes, especially if it's in the developmental stage. Take their feedback, adjust decals etc if necessary. Just the other day, Ben Robinson posted a couple of pictures of a Romulan Shuttle that's later this year, and several people commented on how the paint made some details disappear. He thanked them for the feedback, and said he'd basically send their comments to the factory so that it's corrected on the next sample.

If you guys had done something like this with your latest TOS Enterprise for example, I'd say red and green running lights being on the wrong side would've been noticed immediately.

Forget the business model aspect, as that is something else entirely. It's the fan interaction that DST is lacking. Secrecy, secrecy and secrecy at every stage. Get your customers involved, and have them be engaged with what you're doing.

#16 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:19 PM

I hate doing pre-orders because many times you can get a better price after the product has been released (if ever).

Or the other problem I had was last time I pre-ordered figures from New Force comics, some time went by, I asked New Force if I had already ordered them, they said no, so I ordered them (unknowingly again), when the figures came out, I ended up with 2 set of the figures because they do not have a return policy.

#17 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

I see advertisements from eaglemoss to subscribe to the star trek ships, but I never see anything from DST.  Does DST not have an advertising budget?

#18 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:48 PM

I agree with Jay K.

Eaglemoss isn't exciting solely because they are releasing lots of Star Trek stuff, but because of how involved they are with the community in terms of development.

Example for me personally. The New Orleans is ages away, but just seeing their CG model had me stoked for the final product, and I can't wait to see the first prototype.

#19 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:07 AM

When people do become interested in Trek toys they usually see what is out there.  Once you get to DST you think, "wow that's great...do they have____ also?"  I started getting the old line of figures only about two years ago.  It took a lot of $ and checking eBay/Craigslist/et al more often than I care to admit.  I put in the time because it was fun and I wanted to get all the TNG bridge crew...then all the secondary characters.  DS9 figures are more pricey?  Oh well.  Take my money.  It feels nice to have each of those crews.

If a new collector or casual fan decided to go to DST's site or one of their hallowed retailers they would not find a complete set of anything.  Releasing a complete crew at once seems like a no brainer to me.  I have yet to pick up any of the Select Line, which if you look at my collection pics you would think was strange :-), but if there were a complete set of Select TOS, TNG, DS9, really any crew I would probably go for it.  Why would I want just a Worf or Picard and not know when/if their comrades would ever adorn the shelf next to them.

I think fans do not mind waiting for quality product.  But the inconsistent time tables, lack of information, and trickle of releases is what I think of when I hear DST.  Which is too bad because they gave us an Ezri Dax and the ability for me to hear Christopher Plummer's devilish Shakespeare quotes at will.  My throat is hoarse from screaming "havoc" and I'm still waiting for those dogs of war to return (don't worry, they're micro-chipped). :-)

#20 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:20 AM

If people are not pre-ordering because they've lost interest, or because they don't like our products, then we can only do so much with promotions. We've been doing this for nearly 10 years, plus AA's run. New products and licenses have arisen; some have just as quickly gone away. But comparing us to Eaglemoss is really like apples and oranges, if you're trying to get us to emulate any sort of strategy they have. Every ship we make is different, every figure we make is different, and they've always taken a lot of development time.

It's not about comparing you both, its about looking at how they sell their product to the same group of fans. How is it that the Star Trek Starships Collection from Eaglemoss is reaching more and engaging with more fans than the Star Trek Starships Legends Collection Diamond Select Toys produce? 

I believe that it has nothing to do with the kind of product they're doing or the rate at which that product is being produced and sold, it's to do with the knowledge that Ben from Eaglemoss is there listening to the fans, promoting the line, and exciting the fans through teases of new ships to come, most of which aren't finished product but CGI renders of the ships! 

In comparison, regardless of you Zach spending your time here talking to this handful of Trek fans, and regardless of Chuck's Q&A's which aren't really cutting it anymore. Diamond Select fail hard at really communicating properly with it's fans. You guys don't seem to engage well with fans without having to defend your position all the time. I can't say how well you do it for your other licences but for Trek, there isn't a Ben type person who is seen to be on the side of the fanbase and that's a shame because when the toy industry has been facing arguably its biggest challenges in recent years, what you could really do with is the Star Trek fanbase who would be eager to collect your ships/figures/prop replicas on your side. Another way Eaglemoss's Ben is doing masterful work is really enjoying the conversations on twitter between those who collect the ships and video reviews about them. Geekology, IrishTrekkie to name just two... 

Star Trek is your baby. You produce some great things but man, you guys have to get a grip on it. You're in a great position to really push the fact that this line is a decade old and that what better time to relaunch the line on this your 10th anniversary and Trek's 50th... No one else has had the PRIVILEGE to be doing Star Trek product for that long. Its just time for a shake-up.

• Bring in your ace Star Trek fan who loves everything about Star Trek and Diamond's Star Trek product.
  • Launch that Star Trek facebook page.
  • Have your Star Trek guy on twitter mingling with the fans.
  • Show off and tease more product in development.
  • Announce new starships through awesome CGI renders!
  • Listen to the fans! 
  • Sell your product direct to us, globally!
  • Have customer initiatives to keep that loyalty
  • Utilise and maximise your most successful line... Star Trek Starship Legends.
  • Two new Star Trek Starship Legends ships each year. 
  • With the next two for the following year announced and teased throughout the year.
  • Maybe include something collectable into the Starship Legends line such as an Okuda-gram or starship dedication plaque.
  • Work with the likes of CBS approved Michael Okuda, Doug Drexler and John Eaves.

I don't collect your select figures but I'm sure something similar could be done across your range. Most of all though, get some consistency to your Trek line, rather than this spate of products being released followed by a year long drought of nothingness or reissues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users