71 replies to this topic

#61 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE (Zodou @ Nov 6 2009, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed, my understanding is that DST does not have QC person on hand in the factory, too expensive. (In the short term, the # of free replacments would indicate a long term money loss.) When I receive a product that looks as though it was constructed by a Zombie Ray Charles, I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect a refund or replacment. Interestingly enough, the person I spoke to on the phone felt differently.
Wow, I didn't know that DST didn't even hire a QC person for their factories; if this really is the case I'm admittedly quite surprised, although it certainly seems within the realm of reality as of late. I think DST needs to go over their books again, because as you've pretty much noted yourself Zodou, it may be "too expensive" in the short-term, but in the long-term, these duds that they're paying to construct and ship from China to the USA and other parts of the world have to be costing them quite a bit of cash. I'd think the QC guy might be "expensive" at first, but would eventually save DST some money; even if it was a penny a day per ship, that'd add up pretty quickly overtime. (Remember, once McDonalds figured out that it was exactly one cent cheaper to outsource drive-thru orders, they did so because it saved money, and pennies add up when you're dealing with them in the thousands.)

I'm still chuckling at that "Zombie Ray Charles" reference, but rest assured that you and I are in total agreement on this. Every time I look at my HD 1701 I think of Scotty's comment in The Final Frontier where he says something to the effect of "this ship looks like it was assembled by a bunch of monkeys," in reference to the 1701-A; (it's a scene on the bridge with the "red alert" system malfunctioning,) I'm pretty sure that the aforementioned comment could be applied to our HD 1701s. If my ship looks like my two-year-old neighbor finger-painted it when it arrives, I believe a replacement is in order, and if I wanted a "battle-damaged" edition, I'd have ordered said edition.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like DST's phone support doesn't know their buttocks from their elbow. There's no reason that I should have to pay shipping to send my defective ship back to Rick at NFCC if I can avoid it. There's no reason that Rick should have to take a profit hit because DST sold him defective merchandise, and the only blame here falls on DST's lack of QC. (Besides, if DST wants to move beyond TRU into the "big box" retailers, they're going to need to hire a QC guy now and pay for him later--big box retailers won't deal with companies that perpetually ship them defective merchandise--just something to consider.) At least you and I both heard from Chris Myers, and from what I understand, everyone whose dealt with him has had an excellent outcome when it comes to having their defective item replaced. I even saved the e-mail from Mr. Myers so that I have it in case I need it. DST seems to have far superior e-mail support than phone support, which is admittedly an oddity, (EA Games is the only other company I know of that seems to be like this,) and I have to admit that it's a little bothersome; when something's broken, I want to speak to a human to have it repaired/replaced, and I want to do so in real-time.

Already planned to. biggrin.gif Suprisingly, I've had little trouble with DST's Trek ships and TEK. However, the recent issues with my AGT-D and my HD have prompted me to do buisness only with those online buisnesses that guarantee the product they sell; and then only with exclusives. Everything else, I'll pay the inflated prices my comic book guy charges to inspect the product personally.

Thanks for the heads-up; biggrin.gif I want to keep this thread going so that we can refer to it in the future if need be. Hopefully it can provide an accurate record of what it takes to get a DST ship replaced. As stated before, I'll post any updates if/when they occur; I'm still tripping over the box from my defective ship and believe me, if I had a tracking number for the replacement, the rank of "tracking number maniac" would take on a whole new meaning. (I feel like I'm a kid asking "are we there yet" on a long car ride, although the question now seems to be "is it here yet?")

I too have had little trouble with DST's Trek ships and the Trek Tek I've ordered. Okay, one TOS Phaser from the Art Asylum days literally seemed to fry its batteries on the "overload" setting, and when I called Art Asylum and offered to return the defective "type I" piece, they just sent me a new phaser, so now I have a spare Type II "handle" if I need it. Every so often I come across one that has a targeting scanner that won't flip up, but that's only happened a couple of times. My Entertainment Earth Phaser/Communicator two-pack is perfect, my TOS tricorder is fine, and my ENT TEK set is fine, so aside from the one really screwy phaser I've had no problems with TEK. As far as ships go, I haven't had any real problems there either. My NX-01 had the "fly-off nacelles," but then all of the first run ships did before DST retooled the mold; I'd kill for one of the "second run" ships in MISB condition, because I know those don't have the nacelle issues that the early ones do, and that's because Art Asylum was following Playmates' mistake from the '90s. My TWOK 1701 is light-bleed central, but I've yet to meet anyone whose TWOK 1701 doesn't have this issue, now if the reissues have the same problem, then I'll be annoyed, although DSTChuck said they're fixing the light bleed problem on the reissues, so clearly DST is learning from their mistakes. My Enterprise-E's are all excellent, and the only ship that's really been problematic for me has been the TOS 1701 and its variants. My opened TOS 1701's stand is falling apart, my HD ship, well see previous posts, my first "The Cage" variant has the same paint app issues as the HD 1701, and I had to use genuine "krazy glue" to attach the deflector dish which wasn't glued onto the ship at all just to put the thing back in the box. My first WNMHGB 1701 had a DOA sound board in it, and I'm surprised that I didn't need to order two I.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701s to get one that worked given the TOS 1701's previous track record.

I take it that your AGT-D had the defective sound chip issue, right? Both of my Ent-Ds are fine, and my AGT-Ds also appear to be fine, so I can't complain there, but I know some people did get duds. As far as paying the local "comic book guy" (CBG) goes, I'd consider getting scalped by my local CBG if I actually had one anymore. I mean, if you have a local CBG, that's great, and one thing I will say about DST is that at least you can inspect their merchandise in the package before you open it; with Playmates' junk, it's pretty much a shot in the dark until you open the box. I hate to admit it, but I'd rather be able to see DST's defective items in the box than to grab a Playmates Trek XI 1701, only to have it wind up looking like Andy's ship in the Trektoy review, complete with the non-flush battery cover and the light bleed rivaling the TWOK 1701. Sure, I could wind up with a great ship, but that's true of DST's stuff as well, and I hate to admit it, but I've grown to like DST's window box packaging so I can see if the item is defective before I open it. I can't do that with Playmates' stuff. I admittedly purchase as much of my Trek stuff as possible from Rick; as a retailer I feel that he goes the extra mile to help his consumers, just as Chris Myers supposedly goes the extra mile as a DST rep to help those who've received defective DST merchandise.

I grow weary of this game...

That makes two of us Zodou, that makes two of us. For every defective ship that DST can't/won't replace from that TOS 1701 mold, I have to go on eBay to find a suitable replacement and essentially buy the same ship twice. That's money that I could be taking and putting towards "restoring/upgrading/tricking out" one of my ten-year-old iMac G3s that I grabbed off of eBay. An exclusive/limited run TOS 1701 variant costs about as much as a couple sticks of RAM, and that's only one example. It's bad enough Bandai has me playing "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" with the "Full Throttle" Ranger Silver Power Rangers RPM action figure, but on top of that I have to deal with DST's defective starships, just as you seem to. I swear, at least I no longer have ton deal with Alienware's Tech Support/Customer Service, (the bane of my existence from 2001-2004,) which made DST's customer service seem like the gold standard. My brother used to tack Dilbert comic strips featuring "Dogbert's Tech Support" complete with the phrase, "How may we abuse you today" to my door. That's what I felt like when dealing with Alienware; at least DST seems to make an effort to try to care about the problems that their consumers have, and that's the first step in the right direction. (If you want to know about my issue with Alienware, PM me, but let me put it this way: I wound up going to a tech I trust after the third time my machine went back to the factory to have him check the CPU, which I knew was the problem despite Alienware insisting that it wasn't; my tech took three days, called me back, and told me I had an intermittent CPU problem and then proceeded to fix it.)

I really hope the people at DST are looking at the stuff that we post here, I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get my ship replaced, and DST should have a return policy on their website in clear, understandable language, in an easily located section of said site. DST's employees should know this policy; if they don't, they should be able to look at their own website, and we should be able to find said policy without having to ask other people who've had problems how to get our stuff replaced. I love DST's ships, but I don't love when they're defective.

Finally, something dawned on me as I began to type this reply. If DST has no QC guy in the factory, then they have to know that they're going to release a bunch of defective ships "into the wild" so to speak, right? We all know that a lot of people around here do custom ships, right? So, why not have DST take the defective ones that they've produced, exchange them with retailers for non-defective ships, and then sell the defective ones on their websites as "customizers," for lack of a better term. What would a "customizer" be? Well, if an "opener" is a toy that has a lousy box but is perfect to open, a "customizer" would be a toy that's unsuitable to display/use in its current condition, but is suitable for someone to tear apart and customize as they see fit. Sub-categories could be used as well, such as "Customizer-dead electronics," and "Customizer-poor paint apps," to signify the exact problem. I figure this would A) save the people who are customizing ships some cash, cool.gif allow DST to maximize their profit, C) avoid causing people to have to tear apart a perfectly good toy to customize it. It's really sad that an idea like this seems like it could actually be feasible to me, but I digress...

#62 Zodou

Zodou

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:32 PM

I sent out an email to Chris Meyers yesterday asking the status of my replacement ship, he got back to me this morning and said he'd get it out to me today. If you're going to contact DST I suggest Chris Meyers is the guy you ask for.

#63 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (Zodou @ Nov 12 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sent out an email to Chris Meyers yesterday asking the status of my replacement ship, he got back to me this morning and said he'd get it out to me today. If you're going to contact DST I suggest Chris Meyers is the guy you ask for.

I second that. He is a great guy to deal with. Always very helpful and friendly.

#64 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:12 AM

QUOTE (Zodou @ Nov 12 2009, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Zodou--

Thank you for the advice; it's much appreciated. I'm going to give DST until Wednesday, and them I'm going to reply to Mr. Myers' original e-mail to "check up" on the status of my replacement. I figure I at least owe DST the courtesy of waiting until roughly a week after you contacted them, because my initial contact with DST was roughly a week after yours as noted earlier in this thread.

I agree with you guys, Chris Myers seems to be willing to go the extra mile for consumers, and I've yet to hear from anybody who hasn't had a satisfactory resolution to a defective item when dealing with him, so I'll be contacting him on Wednesday at the latest. I will of course continue to keep everyone here posted on how things go. Hopefully if this thread turns out a few success stories, we can "refine" and condense it into something Andy could turn into a "sticky" thread along the lines of "how to request a replacement from DST." I think there are a lot of people here who don't really know all of the steps that they may have to take, or who they may need to contact, and if this thread can eventually be refined/condensed and turned into something that can be used to help other members, (not to mention "newbies" who may have never purchased from DST before,) then I'll be happy with it. Although DST should certainly make their exchange policy clear on their website, until they do so, I believe that we should try to make it as clear as possible for one another.

Hopefully I'll have my new ship soon; the defective one is lying on its side like the Klingons picked it apart; ah well, at least it's posed nicely, even in its current condition.

Thank you again for your assistance Zodou; you've been most helpful in resolving this issue and ensuring that I contact the right people at DST.

#65 Zodou

Zodou

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:18 PM

Okay, I got my replacment ship yesterday. Unfortunately, it suffers from other QC issues. rolleyes.gif I think I'm pretty much done with DST.

#66 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:ST props, models, and Lightsabers OH MY!

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:34 PM

Wow, I guess I'll just stick to my original issue then. sad.gif

-Kyp

#67 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (Zodou @ Nov 25 2009, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, I got my replacment ship yesterday. Unfortunately, it suffers from other QC issues. rolleyes.gif I think I'm pretty much done with DST.
Zodou, could you elaborate on the "other QC issues" plaguing your new ship? I honestly just think it's there TOS Enterprise Mold that gets absolutely horrendous quality control. Rick told me to keep him informed with what DST does, so if you ordered from NFCC originally, you might want to contact Rick, tell him you went through DST first, and that they replaced the defective ship you purchased from him with another defective ship; he may or may not be able to help you out, but it's worth a shot at the very least.

Anyway, here's the updated on me ship as promised: I contacted Chris Myers and gave him the delivery confirmation number that I stuck on the warp nacelle. I received an e-mail back stating that no replacement order was in the system, (DST's quality "control" at its finest again) but that he'd send my ship out right away. Shortly before Chris' e-mail had arrived I'd received an order notice from DST, and shortly after Chris' e-mail had arrived I received a tracking number from DST. My ship is scheduled for delivery on 12/01/2009, and left Memphis, TN yesterday. Hopefully this ship will not look like a mess, will function, and won't suffer from any QC issues.

Finally, if you think DST is bad, head on over to the Sims 3 forums and take a look at what Mac users are going through just to get their games to run with the recent expansion back. Digital download consumers not only had a useless download that couldn't even be used as a coaster, they wound up with a patch that broke their base game once the thing was finally patched and deemed "functional" by a quality control department that makes DST's look like the gold standard for high-quality assurance. At least DST tries to be sympathetic to their consumers, EA's quality control and technical support seems to have failed reading and/or listening for comprehension. PC users of The Sims 3 will find that the game lacks "Vsync," and as such, can burn up their graphics card without using a cheat code to limit the FPS that their cards are cranking out; if this doesn't trigger a class-action lawsuit (forget the money, just get EA to fix their mess,) I don't know what will. Mac users have had their share of problems too, and those of us who purchased the Win/Mac DVD haven't had it easy, but at least our games now play, even though they should've done so a week ago; the same cannot be said for digital download consumers, who can't even play their base game anymore. The DVD version of the game is said to be "DRM-free," which is a joke considering that it contains "disc check" functionality to ensure the disc is in the drive. This wouldn't bother me, except that some people are having problems with a legitimately purchased DVD in their drives. The digital download users have actual DRM that's been known to interfere with other software (SecuROM,) and I feel even worse for them.

As I've stated, comparing DST to EA, I'd much rather deal with DST, where the company actually tries to fix their problems rather than to simply cover them up. I can be very patient, and I'm willing to forgive and forget, but I'm not willing to be a doormat; with EA I feel like a doormat, but with DST I feel like they're actually listening to the problem I have with their merchandise. As noted before, I'll keep everyone updated, and I'm crossing my fingers that this replacement is free of QC issues. Again, Chris Myers delivers, and I think he deserves a round of applause for everything he does to help us when DST loses orders/doesn't enter them into the system, and can't seem to fix quality control issues at the source. (A.K.A. the factory.)

#68 Zodou

Zodou

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

Zodou, could you elaborate on the "other QC issues" plaguing your new ship?

The pennant on one of the nacelles is misaligned, as a result, it looks kind of like a double image. There is a large red smear going from the tip of the saucer, through the registry and finally terminating at the B/C deck. The nacelles are misaligned and tipped forward. There aren't any major glue smudges though... dry.gif

#69 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:39 PM

I think one of the reasons theres so many more complaints about the DST 1701 is due to the plain nature of the original Enterprise. Theres so little detail to begin with that any small smudge, mark or spot can show up instantly, as opposed to a ship like the Enterprise D which has so much detail packed in that a mark, smudge, or misalligned window will be camoflaged and hard to see among everything else. Of course, that doesnt excuse issues like crooked nacelles though dry.gif My HD 1401 is nice for the most part, everything is alligned properly and the paint apps are nicely done, however there is the odd glue spot and a red mark on the top of the saucer, though not nearly as large as the one you describe. My other DST/AA ships are fantastic.

#70 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (Hawkeye @ Nov 27 2009, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think one of the reasons theres so many more complaints about the DST 1701 is due to the plain nature of the original Enterprise. Theres so little detail to begin with that any small smudge, mark or spot can show up instantly, as opposed to a ship like the Enterprise D which has so much detail packed in that a mark, smudge, or misalligned window will be camoflaged and hard to see among everything else.

That's certainly part of it, but I have at least 3 (HD, ISS, and original) where smudges/marks/spots are so numerous and exaggerated it is just ridiculous. Last week, I finally got around to opening up all my ships to remove batteries for storage. I was surprised at how much better the Cage & WNMHGB versions are than all the others I have. It may be that my crappy original version is a re-issue, and the first run was closer in quality to those two.

#71 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (Zodou @ Nov 27 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The pennant on one of the nacelles is misaligned, as a result, it looks kind of like a double image. There is a large red smear going from the tip of the saucer, through the registry and finally terminating at the B/C deck. The nacelles are misaligned and tipped forward. There aren't any major glue smudges though... dry.gif

I'll quote myself in my TWOK 1701 post: *bangs head on desk* Ugh! Here we go again... Why can't DST realize that hiring a QC worker has to be cheaper than dealing with the volume of returns they must be receiving? I could tolerate the double-image to an extent, but the large red smear is inexcusable, and should've been caught by DST customer service; ditto for the misaligned nacelles--slight misalignment is to be expected, but obvious misalignment is inexcusable. Considering that my ship had glue and paint app issues that were glaringly obvious, I guess the "issues" on your current ship would be an improvement, but I shouldn't have to roll the dice with Rick again to potentially get a decent ship, and I'm not sending the replacement back to DST; I'd rather pay $50.00 to avoid the headache.

Hawkeye and Whirlygig, you guys are both right--the lack of detail on the TOS 1701 does make flaws more obvious, however, the HD version was purposely done up with additional paint and detail, and to a degree, some minor flaws should be masked. I'm not going to go crazy over a minor defect in the plastic or an issue that's to be expected--if I need a magnifying glass to see it, it's not worth complaining about. However, the ship I purchased from Rick should've never left the factory. Zodou's replacement should've been caught by quality control, and if no QC exists, it should've been caught by the person at DST who shipped it out. I hate to say this, but I wish that Rick would have someone go over the DST ships with a well-trained eye and return the defective ones to them as merchandise that they can't sell. It'd save us from having to go to DST, and save Rick from us calling him before he tells us to go to DST. When the economy was good, I could buy two ships and if one was junk, I could fix it up, but I can't really do that anymore unless it's a ship I'm really crazy about. I don't have the space or the money to buy two ships at once usually, and certainly not $50.00 dollar ships, but sadly, it seems that that's the only way to change the odds of getting a defective item. It's one thing for a totally new ship to have some problems, but there's no excuse for the TWOK ship to supposedly still have some lightbleed issues reported by at least one person, and no excuse for the HD 1701 to have any issues given how often DST has worked with this mold. Again, I'm not talking about a minor scratch, I'm talking about glaring errors that should never pass QC.

#72 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:55 PM

My new ship came on the second, and I'm please to say it's much better than the first one. It's by no means perfect, but the fact that Chris Myers got it out to me and that it doesn't look horrendous is a miracle in my book. So what flaws remain? Well:

1. The saucer is still "scuffed" to some extent, and has one odd silver paint smear on it; it's not too bad, but it's annoying when I know other people have near-perfect ships.
2. The Warp nacelles still show some defects, although nothing nearly as bad as the first run. There's light bleed near the "orange slices" and possibly a paint/glue smear on one of them, but if I can't tell for sure, I can live with it.
3. There is now a red line missing from one side of the top of the secondary hull. While the "Split-hull-syndrome" isn't nearly as bad as before, I still had to open the ship and push the hull together; nothing major, just a minor nuisance.
4. Part of the box was torn, and the clear plastic looked horrendous; again, nothing major and since I had the old box, I just put the ship in there and sealed it back up. The "inner box" was fine though.
5. The glue is visible around the "green gem" again, but I think this happens on every 1701, so I'm not sure whether to call it a flaw or an annoyance.

All in all this still looks a thousand times better than what I had. Here's what DST fixed:

1. The screws are now covered
2. The paint is now properly applied; no double-images or screwy apps save for what was noted above.
3. The glue is now properly applied, save for possibly the green gem as noted above.
4. Kirk no longer sounds like he's talking through a tin can, his voice "booms" at times, but it does so on the I.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 as well.
5. The saucer looks a thousand times better than before, even with the one minor scuff.
6. "Split-hull syndrome" has been almost totally eradicated, the "splitting" that still occurs seems consistent with even the best 1701s, so I'm not really holding it against DST.
7. The yellow paint on the top of the saucer is still there (I'm not talking about the rust ring,) but its application looks more accurate this time around.
8. Speaking of paint, the paint for the windows is actually in the windows this time around.
9. The engines appear to cycle through the red/green lights faster providing a more accurate "spinning" effect.
10. Not really an improvement, but when placed in the box my defective ship came in, this one actually looks like it passed a QC test.

I guess good things really do come to those who wait. On an unrelated note, did anyone else notice that the HD 1701's mold was retooled slightly. There are no longer any screw covers on the bottom of the saucer; there just aren't screws there anymore. Now granted, there is a bit of a visible "seam" between the bottom and top of the saucer's plastic on both of my ships, but I believe this was also the case with my original 1701. This begs the question, should DST reissue the "standard" 1701 with the retooled saucer section? I only ask because the retooling has already been done and the screw covers on the original run are so blatantly visible that they detract from the overall beauty of the ship.

In any case, the replacement was an improvement; maybe I'll grab another one of these from NFCC and see if the third ship is totally flawless, but if I don't, at least what I have now is good, and I can live with a couple of minor flaws on what's obviously a flawed run of ships. Just a thought. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users