• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:36 AM

I recall seeing it up last week for pre-order on Amazon.com and was wondering if it was also going to be an Amazon.com exclusive much like the

#2 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:35 AM

Nah, just like the Romulan Commander it was shown at Toy Fair but simply hasn't been picked up yet. It doesn't mean it was canceled or scrapped, it's just in limbo until they find an outlet for it's release.

Personally, I say scrap the Mirror Kirk and put Commodore Wesley from "The Ultimate Computer" with the chair instead. http://memory-alpha....i/Robert_Wesley

#3 Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:24 AM

You know DST is getting away with bloody murder creating all these variants of TOS chair. All they end up doing is making very minor changes and most of us buy into to them, myself included. I'm half expecting DST to release another Command Chair exclusive featuring a carpeted base. roflmao.gif

#4 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (Zapp Brannigan @ Jun 29 2009, 05:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know DST is getting away with bloody murder creating all these variants of TOS chair. All they end up doing is making very minor changes and most of us buy into to them, myself included. I'm half expecting DST to release another Command Chair exclusive featuring a carpeted base. roflmao.gif

Or how about a command chair with crazy Commodore Matt Decker?

#5 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:57 AM

I hate to be a naysayer (sort of) but it does seem a little redundant to release the same chair with figures that have also been released already. I suppose if you are a new collector and you wanted to get a chair...but for the rest of us...well...I'll speak for myself...I certainly think it seems like a waste of resources. Are they really getting the kind of return on a fourth (or whatever) Kirk variant in command chair?

Sigh. Feel free to barrage me with disagreements. I am sure there are other sides to this product. Just not one that I'm on.

#6 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (weyoun_9 @ Jun 29 2009, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate to be a naysayer (sort of) but it does seem a little redundant to release the same chair with figures that have also been released already. I suppose if you are a new collector and you wanted to get a chair...but for the rest of us...well...I'll speak for myself...I certainly think it seems like a waste of resources. Are they really getting the kind of return on a fourth (or whatever) Kirk variant in command chair?

Sigh. Feel free to barrage me with disagreements. I am sure there are other sides to this product. Just not one that I'm on.

The Mirror chair is slightly different....but I see what you are talking about. This would make the 5th Kirk and Chair variant.

40th Anniversary Kirk
WNMHGB Kirk
Kirk and Electronic Chair
TwT Kirk and Electronic Chair

And Pike used the WNMHGB Chair too...so they got some use out of that one as well.

#7 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (Hermey the Elf @ Jun 29 2009, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or how about a command chair with crazy Commodore Matt Decker?

Yes please!! with a right hand holding green and yellow memory tapes and left arm draped over the back of the chair , and the crazed, dishevled look in his eyes , and unshaven face .

#8 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (Commodore Kor'Tar @ Jun 29 2009, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes please!! with a right hand holding green and yellow memory tapes and left arm draped over the back of the chair , and the crazed, dishevled look in his eyes , and unshaven face .

Yeah, man, and I want to see his big-ass golden commodore stripes, too.

#9 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (weyoun_9 @ Jun 29 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DST (and virtually any other toy company with a popular license) is going to milk variants out the wazoo with no regard for some duplication or angst to the diehard fanbase. In other words, there's a Trekker born every minute. roflmao.gif

#10 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:39 PM

I don't think the Mirror version is one they can easily milk, though. The first one is pretty easy to get second hand, and he's even being rereleased in the next TRU wave. I just can't see a Mirror Kirk w/ Chair as being a great seller at all. I'd say the same for the Amazon green-shirt Kirk, but at least he'll probably come with tribbles to entice people with as well as electronics.

#11 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

This might be something like Cadet Wesley and 3rd season Dax, shown once, but never mentioned again.

#12 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:01 PM

The Tribble Kirk w/chair would be a neat one to have, a new Kirk figure shirt, not just a reissue, with tribbles! I assume there would be episode specific sound bytes? That would be a true collectors item, even better than any of the other Kirk w/chair releases.

#13 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:19 AM

Well I think the alternate style chair is a huge selling point. 1. people who like the Mirror Universe are going to want it 2. people who want to display other figures with a different style chair are going to want it. I think its pretty cool.. is it going to be electronic as well? If so thats a pretty sweet item one that I will be looking forward to the most this year.

#14 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Jun 29 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Tribble Kirk w/chair would be a neat one to have, a new Kirk figure shirt, not just a reissue, with tribbles!

That actually will be a re-issue, of Wave 1 Kirk.

If they are electronic, it is a bit more interesting. Otherwise, I too am sick of all the chairs. The tribbles will be nothing special, most likely as with the old DS9 tribbles figures they will be craft store puffballs of uniform color (unless they go ALL out and throw in a few gray!). The Mirror chair's only difference in all pics I've seen so far is a higher back support -- that's it.

I'd rather buy a command chair "Disaster" Troi than another Kirk w/chair at this point. I finally finished my set of 40th anniversary chair releases and what is up with them not being able to put the button/lights panels on straight? There is at least one panel that is on horribly on each one. The electronic one is better in that regard, but the fact that two of them light up mean when you're not using it you can barely distinguish the colors.

QUOTE (BadBunnyMike @ Jun 29 2009, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Pike used the WNMHGB Chair too...so they got some use out of that one as well.

The Cage/Pike chair is different from the WNMHGB/Kirk chair -- one or two panels is different. So we are approaching our 6th chair variation.

#15 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE (Whirlygig @ Jun 30 2009, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Mirror chair's only difference in all pics I've seen so far is a higher back support -- that's it.

Thats actually a huge difference for the chair. It would be like saying that Picards and Rikers chair are the same thing.

#16 ryanlb

ryanlb

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jun 30 2009, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats actually a huge difference for the chair. It would be like saying that Picards and Rikers chair are the same thing.

Are you saying Picard's and Riker's chairs aren't the same? They look the same to me.

#17 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE (ryanlb @ Jun 30 2009, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you saying Picard's and Riker's chairs aren't the same? They look the same to me.

I think he means their chairs as most commonly used on the show. The DST releases are the same chair because it is supposed to be Riker sitting in Picard's chair, in command. But Riker's usual chair on the show has no arms. Picture here: Enterprise D Bridge

Anyway, to me, the higher back is not so big a difference. I certainly wouldn't use the word "huge". And let me ask this...my memory of the Mirror episode isn't so clear...do we even actually ever see Mirror Kirk sit in his chair? Isn't he on board the normal Enterprise most of the time? Is this really normal Kirk in mirror disguise, sitting in mirror Kirk's chair??? biggrin.gif

I got myself all confused about this and I just looked it up, and in the screenshots it looks like they materialize on the mirror transporter pad at the beginning wearing mirror clothes (which I'd not thought about before)... Is that what happens? That seems a bit odd...along the same lines of how the uniforms magically shrank in 'Rascals'...

#18 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (ryanlb @ Jun 30 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can make a Riker chair out of the DST Picard chair by breaking off the armrests and puttying over the holes.

#19 ryanlb

ryanlb

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:38 AM

Right, okay. I know the chairs are different in the show, I thought you meant the toys were different. I've thought about tearing the armrests off Riker's, but he was in the Captain's chair plenty, and I've got several Picard figures who could use it as is.

#20 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (Whirlygig @ Jun 30 2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway, to me, the higher back is not so big a difference. I certainly wouldn't use the word "huge". And let me ask this...my memory of the Mirror episode isn't so clear...do we even actually ever see Mirror Kirk sit in his chair? Isn't he on board the normal Enterprise most of the time? Is this really normal Kirk in mirror disguise, sitting in mirror Kirk's chair??? biggrin.gif

I watched the ep on CBS recently and although he's not on the bridge very often, he does sit in the chair right after they get into the Mirror universe. They leave the transporter room and realize something isn't right, but decide to retain a normal appearance and go to their appropriate stations. Kirk sits in the chair for several minutes afterwards as Sulu and co. set up an attack on the alien planet below. Which reminds me, they should also make a normal version of Marlena from the end of the ep.

Commodore Wesley actually seems to have used the high-back chair longer than Kirk did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users