• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

I got my Medical Tricorder today from New Force Comics!

(Thanks Rick!)

1st off, this is fun piece and think well worth the money, but it has some issues, so lets talk about the good and bad!

I should say, I have the MR version, and you can really tell the difference between a $40 Role-Play toy and the MR Prop Replica. There's no doubt that in almost every aspect the MR's fit and finish is superior, but hey! I Paid over $300 for the MR Tric, and this was only about $45 with shipping.

I like the faux leather strap. It looks the part and feels ok, it's not leather of anything so it's quite light but it does the job I think.

The entire unit is very light, and all the metallic bits are just silver painted. Again you don't have the luster that you do with the MR, but the paint on mine was pretty even and looks nice!

Overall the dimensions look about right, but I'm sure if I got my MR and took some measurements we'd find it's a bit off.

I like the electronics, but Kirk and McCoy's voice sound just a wee bit high pitched...

The real detractions are two fold on this offering.

1. The background lights for the display just bleed through and don't really evenly distribute the light to the medical display, and that's a real tragedy IMO, more of a tragedy then..

2. The Medical Scanner. As noted before, you need to manual spin it. DST opted for the electronic sounds instead of the motor, but the problem is the sound isn't all the loud! I had to hold it up to my ear to really hear it well. Plus when you put it in the Tric, it just sort of slaps around in there. It really should have had some kind of harness to snap into, so It's pretty much a static prop at this point.

I may try popping it open to see if a small motor could be added, which might make it more fun, but that might be tough to get a motor and power source all in that small space.

Ok, Enough of my ramblings... who else has one and what do you think? I'll have to get my MR unit and take some side-by-sides!

#2 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:01 PM

I got mine from Rick, too. I agree with most of what you say, except are you sure that's Kirk talking? Must be high-pitched, as you say. laugh.gif The McCoy sounds on mine are just about right as far as speed and sound quality, so there must be some variation (quality of batteries they ship with, perhaps?) I just wish I had a Trek buddy over here right now, so we could go in the backyard and play with the damm things. Is this the best Trek toy ever made? No. Is it going to bed with me tonight? No. Will it be on the nightstand next to my bed tonight? Yes. wink.gif

djparty.gif

#3 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

Ooops! Your right! They are all McCoy Sound bites! There was one that I thought was Kirk, but it's not! They are still a bit high pitched on mine.

#4 gkap

gkap

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:29 PM

Got mine today as well. I think it is well worth the price. As for the compartment I was just going to put a piece of black foam rubber in there so it is more sturdy. Check the batteries in the scanner because mine sounds is fine.

#5 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jun 15 2009, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Overall the dimensions look about right, but I'm sure if I got my MR and took some measurements we'd find it's a bit off.

I may try popping it open to see if a small motor could be added, which might make it more fun, but that might be tough to get a motor and power source all in that small space.

The MR is very slightly smaller, which is correct to the original TOS trics. The DST is based on the HMS tricorder, which is the one used in T&T from DS9, and will match closely to the ones sold by Rod.com.

A motor and battery source can fit in the scanner. At least one person has already installed a motor and battery into one.

The silver frame of the tricorder is a separate piece, so it could be replaced with a metal replacement frame if one cares to do so.

#6 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Jun 15 2009, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The MR is very slightly smaller, which is correct to the original TOS trics. The DST is based on the HMS tricorder, which is the one used in T&T from DS9, and will match closely to the ones sold by Rod.com.

A motor and battery source can fit in the scanner. At least one person has already installed a motor and battery into one.

The silver frame of the tricorder is a separate piece, so it could be replaced with a metal replacement frame if one cares to do so.

neato!

I take it the mod mentioned on the scanner is detailed on the prop forum?

if so i'll have to check it out!

#7 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

I'll switch out the batteries on mine and see what happens, but McCoy sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks! LOL

#8 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (FHC @ Jun 16 2009, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll switch out the batteries on mine and see what happens, but McCoy sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks! LOL

I got two med tricorders; one sounded (McCoy) just fine and the other I noticed sounded a bit distorted. Surely this is a battery issue?

#9 pawpal

pawpal

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

Same problem with my Medical Tricorders (all four of them). I'll buy some new batteries tomorrow to see if it fixes the problem, but before then anyone tried replacing them yet? "He's dead, Jim!" sounds like "histecha" on all of mine. The foil stickers inside the Medical Scanner have multiple clearly visible fingerprints on them and the gear to spin it keeps getting jammed sad.gif

#10 'E'

'E'

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:56 AM

I guess I got lucky with mine aside from the soft sounding hand scanner. All the sounds from the tricorder are loud and crisp. McCoy sounds just as he should as well. Hopefully fresh batteries will do it for you guys.

#11 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:11 PM

I'm not that optimistic about batteries making a difference...

TYpically on all electronic items it's just sloppy component tolerance...

But I'll await someones test to see...

#12 pawpal

pawpal

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

No diff with new batteries in, Gothneo. In fact with the original factory included batteries, the LED lights are bright and the sound effects are strong, which suggests it's not a battery problem in the first place.

The Medical Scanner on the other hand...you can barely hear the sound...

#13 Al Hartman

Al Hartman

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

Mine has McCoy on helium too. And today, the bottom door handle came off...

*sigh!*

#14 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (pawpal @ Jun 18 2009, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No diff with new batteries in, Gothneo. In fact with the original factory included batteries, the LED lights are bright and the sound effects are strong, which suggests it's not a battery problem in the first place.

The Medical Scanner on the other hand...you can barely hear the sound...

Yeah that's what I was afraid of... usually the electronics just have bad tolerances... they may change if you swap resistors or caps... if there are actually any?!

#15 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:36 AM

I dont know if anyone else has seen these yet, but i got a Science Tricorder at TRU today, and it looks great! There was at least one of them that had distorted(Helium sounding) voice bytes. Mine sounds great , had to look through all of them, there seemed to be a lot of various scratches and spots on some of them around the Try me area on the case of the Tricorder, mine looked the best out of all of them. A big reason why i like to pick out my own stuff rather than order it online and roll the dice on whether you get a screwed up one or not. Even if a online retailer offers to exchange it, thats still an inconvienence having to send it back, drive to a UPS or USPS and drop it off, and wait forever to get another one. Anyway.. back to the TOS Tricorder, I like it, the strap seems sturdy enough and looks accurate to me, the sound effects, lights and all look good too. I think it looks great with my Phaser and communicator, which are all open. I quit buying Trek tek and ships to keep MIB, i want to enjoy them and play with them... i mean role play with them. I dont think i am going to worry with buying the medical or geological tricorder, probably close to the same thing with just different sound bytes.

#16 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Jun 20 2009, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont know if anyone else has seen these yet, but i got a Science Tricorder at TRU today, and it looks great! There was at least one of them that had distorted(Helium sounding) voice bytes. Mine sounds great , had to look through all of them, there seemed to be a lot of various scratches and spots on some of them around the Try me area on the case of the Tricorder, mine looked the best out of all of them. A big reason why i like to pick out my own stuff rather than order it online and roll the dice on whether you get a screwed up one or not. Even if a online retailer offers to exchange it, thats still an inconvienence having to send it back, drive to a UPS or USPS and drop it off, and wait forever to get another one. Anyway.. back to the TOS Tricorder, I like it, the strap seems sturdy enough and looks accurate to me, the sound effects, lights and all look good too. I think it looks great with my Phaser and communicator, which are all open. I quit buying Trek tek and ships to keep MIB, i want to enjoy them and play with them... i mean role play with them. I dont think i am going to worry with buying the medical or geological tricorder, probably close to the same thing with just different sound bytes.

Good to know. How much are they selling for at TRU stores?

#17 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:07 AM

Vulcan,

Also, how about a review with pix/vid? How does the scanner look and the lighting effect? What about the tric's callback feature? Thanks and congrats, you appear to be the first one to get the science version (other than the auctioned prototype a while back).

#18 Xon

Xon

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (Hermey the Elf @ Jun 20 2009, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I picked up one at a local TRU today. It was $39.99. Everything was fine with mine except the strap was a bit creased where they twisted it and taped it down. Now, I still need to order the Medical Tricorder. (I wonder if TRU is going to get the ENT-D too?)

#19 pawpal

pawpal

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Jun 20 2009, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was at least one of them that had distorted(Helium sounding) voice bytes.

Uh you mean the Science Tricorder has the problem too? What the...I guess I pass seeing as that I already have more than enough chipmunk sounding Tricorders.

#20 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Hermey the Elf @ Jun 20 2009, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$39.99 at my TRU. I had a $10 rewards card from TRU to put towrds it so mine was $29.99 plus tax.
QUOTE (Hermey the Elf @ Jun 20 2009, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Vulcan,

Also, how about a review with pix/vid? How does the scanner look and the lighting effect? What about the tric's callback feature? Thanks and congrats, you appear to be the first one to get the science version (other than the auctioned prototype a while back).

Wish i could do some pics and vids for you, but dont have the capability right now. The scanner features only a light at the end of the scanner that alternates colors at different rates of speed. Kind of disappointing, wish it had that spinner inside like McCoy's did on TOS. I wasnt even aware that the Science Tricorder had a removable scanner, thought that was only a feature on the medical tricorder. There are two different sound bytes for the callback feature, all in all i think its a pretty cool toy.

QUOTE (Xon @ Jun 20 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I picked up one at a local TRU today. It was $39.99. Everything was fine with mine except the strap was a bit creased where they twisted it and taped it down. Now, I still need to order the Medical Tricorder. (I wonder if TRU is going to get the ENT-D too?)

I hope they get the D. That would be great!
QUOTE (pawpal @ Jun 20 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uh you mean the Science Tricorder has the problem too? What the...I guess I pass seeing as that I already have more than enough chipmunk sounding Tricorders.

I dont want any chipmunk sounding Trek tek either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users