Photo

McFarlane Toys Gets Entire Star Trek Licence!

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#1 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

http://trekmovie.com...ding-discovery/

So it seems that yet another Star Trek toy maker is being drafted in to the Star Trek world... This surely means that Diamond Select are finished with? No?

#2 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

Well not exactly the company I was hoping for, but at least they'll probably manage to produce more than one figure every few years.

#3 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:51 PM

Oh good we will get figures that have zero articulation. Never mind that's what we have now lol. I kid of course.

#4 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

Though not my ideal choice (NECA), I'm excited to see the line move on from Diamond.

#5 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

Sounds like they'll mainly be doing figures.

Wonder if they'll do props too?

#6 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:14 PM

Have to be honest, having picked up precisely two Halo figures in the past, McFarlane aren't a company I'd be rejoicing about.

Immediate questions I have: Have DST lost the ship license, and if they have, what's happening with the Reliant? I'm sure Zach will let us know sometime over the course of the year. lol :(

#7 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:28 PM

Articulation on the McFarlane toys looks to be better than the articulation on the current select line DST produce, going on The Walking Dead figures they do but I'm not that familiar with their stuff. 

It may mean that they keep the licence to produce electronic ships and props but think it may mean DST have lost the licence. period. I can't see them keeping any part of it.

McFarlane could be doing props and ships too. 

I get the feeling that their stuff resembles the original Art Asylum in design and style?

#8 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

The one thing that I think would be interesting is if they do the building sets like they did for TWD. Other than that I'm not really interested in 7" statues.

#9 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

I'd rather see Mega Construx continue doing the building sets than McF.

#10 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

I'd rather see Mega Construx continue doing the building sets than McF.

I don't view those in the same category. I know McFarlane and the toy industry does, but to me they're really more like mini figures/statues with really nice likenesses and really detailed sets. You assemble them but they don't have the appearance of building blocks.

#11 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

I don't think Macfarlane has done anything like the ships before, have they?

And if they did, they'd probably just start with the TOS Enterprise and D, and we'd end up waiting again for ships we haven't gotten from DST yet.

#12 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:39 PM

Yep. They'll lose it just before they get to DS9 and Voyager as well. :D

#13 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:54 PM

DST may be incredibly slow, but they're finally getting to ships that no one has done before. For them to lose the license, and force us to start over with a whole new line that probably won't look the same as DST's ships would suck.

We know that they'd start with the TOS Enterprise and the D because those are sure things that sell. The only potential new ship we'd get is the Discovery and Shenzhou, which would be nice but I could care less if they remake the same ships DST has made.

I'd be very happy though if they've acquired the Kelvin universe rights, and make ships from there.

#14 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

The one good thing is I think if it does well they're set up better than DST was to get product moving and build momentum.

#15 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:58 PM

If DST kept the license, it may even spur them to produce stuff faster.

There can be more than one company producing Trek merchandise.

#16 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

I think DST keeping the ship license would be good. I don't see McFarlane getting into that at least not right away anyways. Figures are what really matters and DST already seems to have given up on that so no big loss there.

#17 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:52 PM

DST keeping th ship and even the prop license would be good. I don't think Macfarlane has really done anything electronic.

As for their figures, I don't own any of them myself, but seeing them in stores I think their sculpts are pretty good.

Articulation also doesn't really matter much to me since I prefer more statue type figures, so I have no problem with what Macfarlane makes. I also like the little display stands that their figures seem to come with.

I'll definitely be buying Kirk since I don't have any figure of him yet, I'll see what Picard looks like before I get him.

Discovery figures will probably be a definite buy for me.

Edit: I was wrong, I own several of their figures from Assassins Creed, and they're pretty decent. 2 of them don't stand up super well, but display stands would fix that.

As long as it's part of their color tops line, I think we'd be in pretty good shape since those look real nice.

#18 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

I've gotta say, I'm not massively interested in yet another line of Star Trek toys.

It's great if McFarlane go the distance with Star Trek and having both the Abrams movies and Discovery will hopefully help push sales in this line that will make it something fans have got to collect. If though CBS are allowing DST to carry on, what's the point of giving the licence to McFarlane? They may have just given it all to DST.

I think whatever happened, DST just didn't bid enough for the licence. I don't think we'll see anything more come from DST in terms of Star Trek. I'm even slightly doubting that we'll even see their Reliant or Borg Select now.

If I'm a retailer, I'd be very confused as to why both DST and McFarlane would have essentially the same licence. We're not talking about much in the way of differences between the two (apart from quality and speed of turn around) unlike the difference between Mezco's 1:12 line and DST. So I think this is the end for DST Trek.

For me personally though, I'd like to see Mega Construx carry on. Lego has just sucked me in and while it would be amazing if Lego were to take on Star Trek, I know that's probably pretty impossible for the moment so as far as I'm concerned, Mega Construx are the next best thing.

#19 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:28 PM

I wouldn't have been surprised if we never saw another Star Trek DST item even before this news. They're just barely hanging on anyway. I agree I think Reliant and Borg are definitely up in the air at this point.

#20 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:39 PM

It would piss me off quite a bit if Reliant got cancelled because it'll be years, if ever, before we get another one from another toy company.

Looking into Macfarlane, they've done nothing like the ships DST makes so I'd be surprised if they made them at all.

Figures I couldn't care less about, but ships should stay with DST and Eaglemoss.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users