• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 Tomparis

Tomparis

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

picked up a rare variant of the playmates Geordi La Forge. The removeable visor version! I got it for $8....they are going on ebay for $40. Another great flea market find!

#42 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

That's a rare variant? First one I ever got,and the ones after,all had removable visor. Thought that was normal,lol!

J-R!

#43 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:24 AM

LOL, there are two versions of the Geordi...that info is actually on my NFC site, that page is up. Look under TNG Series 1, and it will have the info under the Geordi figure

#44 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

LOL! Did not know that. Thanks MadBunnyMi....ooops,I meant BadBunny of course,lol! Thanks Mike,I'll go by the site again when I'm totally Trekkin'. Not been on the site for some time now,other than to check on some of the stuff we DIDN'T get but was planned or in prototype stage. Love that kinda stuff.

J-R!

#45 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:52 AM

Well, as its come up, I thought I'd make a summarize the info for those interested, so here's all the 4" "Rare" Figures (or at least where intended to be rare):

Toyfare

Translucent Geordi as a Tarchanian Three alien

Plum coloured Seven Of Nine

Kirk from A piece of the action

Picard in Blue Sciences Uniform from Tapestry

Spacesuit Spock

Transporter Yar

Spencer Gifts

Neelix in VOY Security/Operations Gold Jumpsuit

Dax in dress uniform

Scotty and Sulu from where no man has gone before (Variants include a Sticker with "One Week On Earth 30" meaning it was one of the first ones to be made)

NFC

Flashback Janeway

Amok Time Two Pack

Target

Transporter Sulu, Chekov, Chapel and Rand

Last Wave - Movie Uniformed Troi, Riker, Picard, Data, Worf, Silver Seven Of Nine, with a few Rare Europe only figures - Cobalt Blue Seven and Movie uniform Dr Crusher 

BOBW Two Pack

Tholian Web Two Pack

Other

Crossroads of Time Sisko

Red Command Data

TNG Tom Riker (Three or So different Coloured Accessories Made)

Tri-Fold Borg

Galileo Kirk

Klingon VHS Worf

Captain Calhoun (Also made, Rare Autographed by Peter David Variant)

TAT O'Brien

Orange coloured Accessories Cadet Wesley

Light Coat Unification Spock

Removable VISOR Geordi

Borg with Pipe attached in box

Ferengi with no Black colouring on his boots

McCoy in dress uniform

DS9 Uniform Dr Crusher

Esoqq

Mirror Kira

Gowron with Varying Trimming

1701 Picard

1701 Yar

1701 Barclay

And Figures that are rare (at least in the UK) due to demand and limited supply, despite them being mass production figures:

Borg Queen

Gorn

VOY Main crew

Some of the DS9 crew

Thanks to BadBunnyMike/NFC, FHC and others for the info

Here is the link to NFC Rare page (I hope):

http://www.newforcec...matesFrame.html

I think that’s all, but I'm sure some are missing.

#46 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

Okay so some of those that you mentioned aren't necessarily RARE, but Exclusives. They are still pretty common to get a hold of, 

The last wave of what was supposed to be Target figures, Cobalt Seven and Insurection Beverly are pretty rare since they were only internationally released, the Vulcan Leader Statue, 12" TWOK Kirk and Spock and 12" POTA Kirk and Spock,  the 1701 figures, "Redemption" Data, things of that nature are all on the rarer side. But some of the other ones mentioned above were pretty commonly availible, and some like the Spencer Gifts ones were actually on clearance at one point.

#47 dathon18

dathon18

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

Hi guys,

I'll jump in on this one....  I'm seeing a lot of not so rare figures listed as rare that were exclusives, as Bad Bunny Mike pointed out, and really not hard to find. I've also noticed a difference between figure collectors, and package collectors..... whats rare to a package collector is not so rare to a loose figure collector.

There are a number of very rare packaging variations, mostly Canadian, backer card swaps, that no one has even mentioned. Most of these figures are even harder to come by, and we're produced in smaller numbers than the 1701 Tapestry Picard and YE Yar. Now the figures are the same, but the packaging is different. Once the packaging is badly damaged, or open, you have a very expensive loose figure! Here's a few that come to mind.....

Dathon w/pog: Only about 1,100 released in the UK and Australia. Yes, it does exist (I have one), but they are super tough to come by and usually go for about $500. 

Lwaxana Troi and Ambassador Sarek w/pog: These were Canadian variants of the standard figure. They had a pog instead of trading card, and were on a 7th Season series backer card instead of the 4th Assortment card. They usually go for about $150 each, and only about 1,100 of each were made.

Bashir, O'Brien, and Dax: These three were second series DS9 figures in the duty uniform on first series DS9 purple backer cards with no trading card and different accessories. From what I've been told, they came out before the first series of DS9 figures in Canada and Australia only. There are only about 1,100 each of these, and there were slight printing differences between the Canadian and Australian backer cards. These same figures were later mass released in the second series of DS9 figures on the black backer cards. They go for about $75 to $100 each. As of today, 6-4-13, there's one of each up on ebay at $75 a pop.

In the same series L. Troi and Sarek w/pog were the Generations movie uniform Data and LaForge, the first Yar figure, and the Nausicaan. There is rumored to be a duty uniform Dr. Crusher as well, but this is unconfirmed. These four Canadian variants were the same figures as the US 4th assortment release, and unlike L. Trio and Sarek, they came with the same trading card instead of a pog. The difference is that they were also on 7th Season backer cards instead of the 4th assortment backer cards. They usually go for about $10 to $30 each, but can be very difficult to find. As for numbers produced, I don't know. If I had to guess though, I'd say less than 5000 each. 

Apparently late in the run of second series of TNG figures with pog, Playmates switched over to the 7th Season backer card for a few figures. These were: Dr. Crusher, Lore, Guinan, Ambassador Spock, and the Vorgon. They are the same second series TNG figures w/pog, but on the 7th Season backer card instead of the second series backer. I'm not sure of the numbers produced, but again, probably less than 5000. They usually go for about $20 each, but the rarer Vorgon can go for triple that.

The last of the Canadian backer card variations that I can think of are six of the second series DS9 figures that were released on 7th Season TNG backer cards. They are: Dax, O'Brien, Bashir, Picard, Thomas Riker, and Q. These are the same second series "duty uniform" DS9 figures with pog that came out in the US on the black backer cards, but these were released in Canada only on 7th Season TNG backer cards. They usually go for about $10 to $30 with Q being the rarest. They can be very difficult to find. Again, maybe about 5000 produced.

There are a number of other Canadian variants that use the same backer cards as the US releases, but have a sticker with the figure name printed on it on the plastic bubble, and not printed to the left of the bubble like the US release. Most are somewhat commen, but a few from later releases can be hard to come by.

Then there's the Cobalt 7 of 9. It was supposed to be a Target exclusive in the US, but ended up being released in Australia only. The only difference being an "International Edition" sticker over the Target name. There were 3000 made, and they usually go for $50 to $70.

So there you have it..... most of the rare package variations that haven't been mentioned yet! HTH, Fred K.

#48 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Fitness, Writing, World Domination

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

Bashir, O'Brien, and Dax: These three were second series DS9 figures in the duty uniform on first series DS9 purple backer cards with no trading card and different accessories. From what I've been told, they came out before the first series of DS9 figures in Canada and Australia only. There are only about 1,100 each of these, and there were slight printing differences between the Canadian and Australian backer cards. These same figures were later mass released in the second series of DS9 figures on the black backer cards. They go for about $75 to $100 each. As of today, 6-4-13, there's one of each up on ebay at $75 a pop.

Sidebar - these three figures were in fact the only DS9 figures released in Australia and can still be found locally at comic stores, unwanted, for less than $10.00.  Bahir and Dax had the same accessories, however O'brien had different accessories than the DS9 Series 2 O'Brien in Duty Uniform.

#49 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:51 AM

Sidebar - these three figures were in fact the only DS9 figures released in Australia and can still be found locally at comic stores, unwanted, for less than $10.00.  Bahir and Dax had the same accessories, however O'brien had different accessories than the DS9 Series 2 O'Brien in Duty Uniform.

Geez, those would be gold in the US haha. In fact i might have to have ya pick me up some lol I don't have them in my collection myself.

#50 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

Cobalt 7 wasn't released in Australia only,it was easily available in the UK as well. That's where I got my two when they first came out.

J-R!

#51 dathon18

dathon18

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

Interesting......    I haven't seen too many of the Canadian or Australian versions of these, but the Aussie ones that I have seen were all trashed. Maybe thats why they're only $10? I can't imagine that the packaging is in too good of condition after 20 years, and with beat up packaging its nothing more than a loose figure to package collectors. Fred.

#52 dathon18

dathon18

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

Cobalt 7 wasn't released in Australia only,it was easily available in the UK as well. That's where I got my two when they first came out.

J-R!

You are correct J-R! I forgot to add UK to the sentence... DOH! Fred.

#53 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:03 AM

Sorry to offend, I was only trying to help.

I understand that a lot of the ones I listed are exclusives, like Redemption Data and Security officer Neelix, but they are rare in my country, something I left out in my original post. I forgot about Pog Dathon, Lwaxana, and Sarek, I don't collect variants of the same figure, if I get a card or Pog its a bonus, hence me forgetting. its interesting about those DS9 figures, what accessory's where they? Is O'Brien's unique, in terms of they never appeared with an other figure?

And to those who asked earlier about Spock, and the light coat variant, mine had a Pog, I didn’t know till a few weeks ago after I bought him that he was the rarer version.

#54 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Fitness, Writing, World Domination

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Hey Redshirt - nope - no unique accessories with the Australian Obrien in duty uniform.

Take a look - here's one on ebay from a local seller:

http://www.ebay.com....=item35b8a3b93d

He's got the generic engineering tools, phaser (with wonky phaser beam) and the UV light.

The DS9 Series 2 Obrien features accessories in the same dark purple, but they mirrored the Series 1 accessories exactly:

You can check out both DS9 Series 1 & 2 on this page.  They have the engineering kit, phaser, drilling thing and fire extinguisher.

http://www.batman4sa...?cat=59&paged=4

Hope it helps man :-)

- Jim

#55 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

DX stands for deluxe set. The Redemption Data and another figure that were JC Penney exclusives caused a big rift with collectors and Playmates back in the 90's. People who were collecting all of the figures couldn't find these, got disgusted with the hobby and quit collecting them. Playmates screwed themselves with that move.

#56 Darth Duranium

Darth Duranium

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:39 AM

Just saw this thread (and shots of the completed bridge) so I thought I'd pipe up. I've got a 2009 3-3/4" figure that I don't think anyone else has. I was told it is one-of-a-kind as the line was cancelled shortly afterwards.

This Spock figure packaging mockup was sent to me by a big boss at Playmates whom I did a small favour for. Unfortunately, he sent it in a (Playmates branded) bubble envelope(!) so the side of the package took a minor ding en route but it's otherwise in great shape. He was originally going to send me a ship from Playmates' aborted "mini starships" line but they all got nicked by other folks at Playmates before he could find me one (he was visiting factories in China). So I got Monsieur Spock sent instead. Mind you, I'm not complaining at all. 

He asked me not to sell it for a couple of years but that time has passed now so I'm thinking about letting it go at auction (I don't collect figs, just ships). Knowing so little about Trek figs, I wondered what kind of money does something like this goes for? Has anything (packaged) from the Galaxy Collection come up before? Some expert help would be greatly appreciated.

#57 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:01 AM

Just saw this thread (and shots of the completed bridge) so I thought I'd pipe up. I've got a 2009 3-3/4" figure that I don't think anyone else has. I was told it is one-of-a-kind as the line was cancelled shortly afterwards.

This Spock figure packaging mockup was sent to me by a big boss at Playmates whom I did a small favour for. Unfortunately, he sent it in a (Playmates branded) bubble envelope(!) so the side of the package took a minor ding en route but it's otherwise in great shape. He was originally going to send me a ship from Playmates' aborted "mini starships" line but they all got nicked by other folks at Playmates before he could find me one (he was visiting factories in China). So I got Monsieur Spock sent instead. Mind you, I'm not complaining at all. 

He asked me not to sell it for a couple of years but that time has passed now so I'm thinking about letting it go at auction (I don't collect figs, just ships). Knowing so little about Trek figs, I wondered what kind of money something like this goes for? Has anything (packaged) from the Galaxy Collection come up before? Some expert help would be greatly appreciated.

Well I have no idea on the price, however if you do put it up for auction, let us know where. As long as you post to the UK, I'll be all over this.

Take care,

Matty-lad

#58 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:01 AM

He asked me not to sell it for a couple of years but that time has passed now so I'm thinking about letting it go at auction (I don't collect figs, just ships). Knowing so little about Trek figs, I wondered what kind of money does something like this goes for? Has anything (packaged) from the Galaxy Collection come up before? Some expert help would be greatly appreciated.

Considering that this may only be 1 of a handful, or maybe even the only one in a package in existence, you can name your price really. Hardcore Star Trek collectors will pay what it takes to get an ultra rare figure like that in their collection. Of course they dont want to pay more that they have to, so dont let yourself be taken by someone who will just resell it for more money , who may not even be a collector, just a scalper. I would list it worldwide on ebay for 2500.00  for a month or even two. Depends on how much patience you have and if you need the money right away. Collectors will find it on ebay, place plenty of pictures, give a great description and dont take the first lower bid you get. If people want it, they will eventually pay what you want for it. If there is no interest after two months, lower the price by a hundred dollars. If you really want the most money you can get from this item, it may take time. Then again, if the right person see's it , you might sell it in 5 minutes. Good luck!

#59 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

You know I am just going to make an observation but VulcanFanatic seems like he is only trying to make a quick buck. that's all he really cares about....That's all its about to him, making money

#60 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

You know I am just going to make an observation but VulcanFanatic seems like he is only trying to make a quick buck. that's all he really cares about....That's all its about to him, making money

This is not true, its not all about the money to me, but it is to other people out there, so why let them get your rare item cheaply so that they can make a big profit off of it. During the 25 years that I collected, I rarely made a profit from anything I sold. For every item I made a profit on, I probably sold 10 items at a loss or came out even on it. I have even given brand new, valuable collectibles away and paid for shipping to folks who were very appreciative of it. You don't know me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users