• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Morgan

Morgan

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:51 PM

Toy Fair 1998, display by the manufacturer.

tf-1.jpg

If you look closely at the heads, you can tell that these are not the TRU set sculpts -- all the faces seem a little off. Check out Spock's square chin, for example, or Kirk's hairline. Chekov's head is also a little sculpted a little differently, it's more narrow. Sulu's head also seems different.

Here's the crazy thing: if you look closely at the tag it says 6-inch figures, so these were supposed to be released like the DS9 larger format figures with their various stations. Is this why the heads look different? Are we really looking at slightly scaled-up figures here in the 6-inch format, rather than the TRU set format?

At the same Toy Fair 1998 display Playmates also exhibited the larger format DS9 figures with their various USS Defiant stations -- I will show those later.

tf-7.jpg

I never saw this set at retail, or just a couple of times. These were a strange attempt by Playmates toward 1998, I thought -- these were aimed squarely at completist collectors. They could have just done Guinan separately, since we already had Dixon Hill, albeit in a different suit color.

tf-3.jpg

I never saw this set at retail either -- this is one of those things aimed at TOS fans or completist collectors, which by that time there weren't a ton of.

tf-4.jpg

Another rare production set previewed, but the only exclusive thing here is the Data figure, cause Worf and Alexander had been done earlier as a two-pack. So, uhh, they just could have released the Data figure separately, but they wanted to make completist collectors pay for the whole 3-pack, which is kind of a cheap move on Playmates' part.

tf-5.jpg

It's neat in retrospect that they did Keiko as a ninja, as opposed to Keiko from the early seasons of DS9 where she just sat around and recited cringeworthy lines to Miles.

tf-6.jpg

#2 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 05:48 PM

Referring to the TOS set,I think they were going to change the scale for the bridge figures. I probably would have taken the bait. All that set requires is a Turbo lift with McCoy and the Engineer console with Scotty. And 5 chairs, for gosh sakes. Oh, Except they would have to give them, functioning, seating pelvises!

About finding any of them them in retail... what are these words? Sadly Canada got the short end.
Thanks for posting, these are great to see! Wait, we did get the less articulated figures, at retail, but none of the multi figures.

#3 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Fitness, Writing, World Domination

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:04 PM

Man these are great to see - especially another look at Bele - jeez I would have loved that figure!  Screw you, McKenzie Calhoun or whatever your name is!!!

#4 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:56 PM

I didnt see him, had to research the first photo. I thought he was going to be done...!

#5 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,102 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:01 AM

Ah the good old days. How I wish we could get just one more shot with Playmates Toys. I just know that the third time could be the one that really works!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users