Photo

Wonder Woman

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:18 AM

Me and the Mrs went and saw Wonder Woman las night. This was without a doubt one of the best movies that I have seen in a long time. It's also at the top tier of comic book based movies. I put it it right at the top with Captain America (The Winter Soldier) and Logan which are two of my absolute favorites. The chemistry between Pine and Gadot was great. My wife couldn't stop talking about it after we got out and was still saying how great it was today. She never talks about movies like that. When the movie was over the entire theater clapped and cheered. I can't recommend going to see it enough.

#2 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:50 AM

I've heard a lot of surprisingly good things about this movie, I was expecting another subpar film like BvS and Suicide Squad. 

I may have to go see it. 

#3 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

While I enjoyed both Suicide Squad and BvS. This movie was a giant step up.

#4 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

I really liked this one. Cast was all around great.

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

I just saw it, and I have to agree with the general consensus. This was a fantastic film for the genre. I still think the Nolan Batman Trilogy tops the list for modern DC movies, but this right up there with it. 

As far as the official DCU... this is the best effort yet. Well told, well acted, good effects! Probably not any academy awards... but thougfhrly enjoyable and has me excited for Justice League. Man of steel wasn't the worst, but Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad left me cringing... I probably enjoyed SS more simply for its over the top performances... but to me it was still a train wreck.

I finally feel like the DCU has started and has some wings!

#6 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

We just saw it last night and I thought it was excellent!  Very good movie, good origin story, chemistry between Gadot & Pine was great. 

I didn't at all care for BvS.  I liked Suicide Squad, but this was a much better movie.  

I'm one of the few in the world that didn't like the Nolan Batman trilogy.  I can't stand Bale's fake, gravelly Batman voice. 

#7 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

We just saw it last night and I thought it was excellent!  Very good movie, good origin story, chemistry between Gadot & Pine was great. 

I didn't at all care for BvS.  I liked Suicide Squad, but this was a much better movie.  

I'm one of the few in the world that didn't like the Nolan Batman trilogy.  I can't stand Bale's fake, gravelly Batman voice.

I agree about the Nolan movies. I really liked the first one and thought it could have been the start to a larger DC but they lost their way after that with the other two. The second was just too long and convoluted and the third while it had some good parts just wasn't that great. Both of the sequels fell apart at the end too.
I think with Wonder Woman we are starting to see a new direction for the DC movies. They are shifting to better sir telling with a little humor , without trying yo take themselves to serious and be all artsy about it.

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:50 PM

I loved the 2nd Nolan Batman Movie, mostly I loved Heath Ledgers Joker, but I can understand why some people didn't care for it. Nolans movies took the genre in a more serious and gritty manner that we really hadn't seen before, maybe it was too far, and now were are seeing it dialed back a bit. Its all good to me as Nolans trilogy really stands on its own, and we can move on to something different if we like!

Wonder Womans 1st act was flawless IMO. We got an intro foretelling the future and a flash back into an origin story right off. The 2nd act lulled a bit, but not too badly, they added a bit of humor and it all generally worked to move us to the 3rd act which again, I thought came together nicely, provided some great action, and tied up all the loose ends. 

#9 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:37 PM

Just got home from seeing it. It was a very good movie, definitely the best of the new DC movies.

One thing I had an issue with was the audio during the finale. I could barely hear the talking over the music.

#10 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:20 AM

I didn't know people exist who don't like the Nolan trilogy.  Without that trilogy we may not be where we are today, not just with DC movies but Marvel as well and the whole genre.

Personally while disappointed in The Dark Knight (the Joker could have been so much more than he was, even if he was pretty good, just imagine 10x that...and I'm not talking about the acting or portrayal but the story they chose to tell about/with him)...  I still consider it the best Batman film series and I have a hard time imagining anything topping it.  Batman Begins is good enough to justify any shortcomings of Rises or TDK!

Wonder Woman, we all enjoyed.  It really resonated with my wife, and all other women, for obvious reasons.  It also brought some of the levity of Marvel into DC.  It was interesting to see Pine playing a male hero who wasn't (at least as far as we saw) an asshole.  It was almost like Steve Trevor is what nu-Kirk could/should have been like.  No, actually, it was exactly like that.

#11 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

@Whirlygig: I didn't like the Nolan trilogy. And I found Begins to be the weakest of the three...

#12 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:15 PM

I'm glad there are a few others who also didn't care for the Nolan Batman trilogy!  

It wasn't the "dark" aspect of it that I didn't like.  I'm fine with Batman being dark...he's a dark character.  I just couldn't stand Bale's whole take on Batman and I'll go to my grave saying that the only reason people "loved" Heath Ledger's Joker is because he died somewhat tragically right before the movie came out.  What I saw was him doing a slightly more crazy (and less entertaining) version of Nicholson's Joker. 

#13 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:21 AM

Well... I never cared much for Nicholson's Joker... or for Keaton's Batman... sure it was better then the "BIFF! BAM! POW!" we got before with Adam West, which was all camp. 

If there is one flaw in Nolan's trilogy (IMO) its that maybe it takes its self too seriously.

But I genuinely like Ledges take on the Joker... But I also kinda liked Leto's Joker... not as much as Ledgers, but more than Nicholson's. 

#14 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:15 AM

Ledgers Joker was a good and a very different take on the character that we really had not seen before. I did not think it was pure genius or the greatest performance ever like a lot of the Nolan heads have claimed.Thats the best I can say about that movie. I thought that it was way too long with to much crammed into it. Two Face should have been set up o be the villain for the third movie instead of being treated as a disposable third tier character. Like most of nolans movies it tended to get a bit full of itself and fall apart at the end. This happened with both of last two Batman movies from his trilogy. I did however love Batman begins and thought it was a near perfect Batman origin movie. I wanted that to be the start of a bigger DCEU but gen Nolan decided to go the route he did and in my opinion really messed up a good thing.

But getting back to the actual topic. Lol. I'm planning to go see Wonder Woman again. I still think it's the best of the four new DC universe movies which I have really enjoyed all of for what they were.
I'm really looking forward to seeing more Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman in the future.
I guess if you had to say I had a super power it would be the ability to just watch and enjoy a movie without nitpicking and over analyzing it to death.

#15 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

I guess if you had to say I had a super power it would be the ability to just watch and enjoy a movie without nitpicking and over analyzing it to death.

Lol! You def have an opinion on things! That would be the kryptonite for such a power!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users