Summer Movies 2012

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jul 3 2012, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is gaining power from "truth" any more or less silly than say the sun, a magic ring, or a radioactive spider? Is it that much of a stretch of the imagination to think that historical figures might have had secret lives?

Historical figures certainly had secret lives, but they are usually run-of-the-mill stuff like dubious sexual tastes, adultery, hidden illness, links to criminals and criminal acts, or a liking for controlled substances. I think it's stretching the imagination to think that any historical figure was a secret vampire slayer - though there may have been a few who fancied they were vampires! smile.gif

I think by you starting at the point that the premise is "crazy and audacious" you are coming into the film with less than an open mind.

I have to ask, does anyone really ever go to a movie with a totally open mind? How have we decided upon what we will see? If we were totally open to all movies then we would see everything going and even the turkeys would last for weeks and weeks at the local mutliplex. If we were totally open-minded then there'd be no use for reviewers and critics to help us make our minds what to see, and we'd have no personal taste. I saw the trailer for this movie (another thing to help us make up our minds) and it looked pretty silly to me, but then, like Destructor, I'm not an American and have no particular interest in Abraham Lincoln.

The again, if there were a movie called Winston Churchill: Vampire Slayer!!! - I probably wouldn't go and see that either. wink.gif

But there's nothing wrong with going along and watching a movie and enjoying it if it's your cup of tea!

#22 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

An excellent idea for a sequel!

#23 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jul 4 2012, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An excellent idea for a sequel!

Don't joke about it - it'll probably happen ... along with "Margaret Thatcher: Body Snatcher"! smile.gif

#24 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

You're just a Hollywood-pitchin' MACHINE, Jules!

I love a good rhyming scheme.

Thanks for responding to The HSBR, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Though, I did know what to expect, going in. I knew it would be serious, and I knew what the premise was. I have the book on my shelf (it's a lone - haven't read it - probably won't now).

I went to see the film because I thought, if they can make a film on that premise with a straight face, and actually receive favourable reviews, then perhaps it's worth watching.

Because a serious film on that premise would have to be a masterpiece of writing to work.

Unfortunately, it was far from that. I won't be trusting those reviewers again - my tastes are obviously far removed.

#25 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

Well to get this topic back on track I went and saw Amazing Spiderman and like the name says, it was amazing. This is the Spiserman movie I have been waiting for. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first two Raimi movies (the third was awful) but this is a whole new ball game. Where thevRaimi films were just cheesy fun this was just to cool. Action, funny and seriousness. It was such a better movie than the ones before it on every level.

#26 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:06 AM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Jul 10 2012, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're just a Hollywood-pitchin' MACHINE, Jules!

I love a good rhyming scheme.

Thanks for responding to The HSBR, I couldn't have said it better myself.

LOL! smile.gif I think we got us a movie franchise - oh the possibilities could be endless! Can we get good rhyming schemes for Nelson Mandela or Barack Obama perhaps? Maybe that's tempting fate and becoming too political!! ;)

Though, I did know what to expect, going in. I knew it would be serious, and I knew what the premise was. I have the book on my shelf (it's a lone - haven't read it - probably won't now).

I went to see the film because I thought, if they can make a film on that premise with a straight face, and actually receive favourable reviews, then perhaps it's worth watching.

Because a serious film on that premise would have to be a masterpiece of writing to work.

Unfortunately, it was far from that. I won't be trusting those reviewers again - my tastes are obviously far removed.

I know what you mean - I guess over the years I have learned which reviewers I trust and which I don't - which is pretty much like saying whose tastes are similar to mine!! Put it this way - a reviewer I trust that gives a film I didn't originally fancy a rave review then I'd be tempted. On the other hand - a bad review from anyone at all won't put me off a film that I think has a really good premise. If I'd have done that then I guess I'd have given Star Trek Nemesis a miss!

The Dark Knight Rises comes out in the UK this week - and let's just say - that even if every review I read says it's a pile of poo then I'll go, but I'm pretty nervous because I SO want it to be good! Not because I'm a Tom Hardy fan, but because I have loved Nolan's take on the franchise.

#27 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:04 AM

I guess summer is pretty much over, but we aw Possession yesterday afternoon and would say that it's only a 15 cert and quite good for a laugh. Like all movies of the demonic possession genre, it starts off gently by being slightly unsettling and rushes towards a climax of truly hilarious scenes of exorcism. This movie was clearly made with a big fat tongue in cheek element, and with a kind of shrug towards the faux-unintentionally hilarious visuals. See it, and you'll know what I mean!!!

#28 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

I just saw "The Avengers" today for the first time and i thought it was awesome! Ive been meaning to see it for a while now but havent had the time. Since i began working at the Screen Gems movie studio here and have met and seen Ironman stars and got a chance to meet the guys that make the Ironman suits as well as see the Ironman suits from all of the Ironman and Avengers movie, i really wanted to see the Avengers movie. Cant wait for Ironman 3 to come out as well.

#29 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

Although not a summer movie nor a sci-fi one - is anyone planning to see Tom Hardy in Lawless? I am!

#30 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Sep 6 2012, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although not a summer movie nor a sci-fi one - is anyone planning to see Tom Hardy in Lawless? I am!

I don't know if I'll see it, but I kind of want to. The trailers look pretty good. and (I'm not sure I should admit it) I've been a fan of Shia Labeouf since his days on Even Stevens on the Disney Channel.

#31 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:30 AM

As much as I hate to say it myself, I saw Lawless yesterday and LaBeouf is very good in this. He and Guy Pearce steal the show, even though Tom Hardy puts in his usual intriguing level of interpretation into his role of older brother Forrest.

I cannot recommend this movie enough because, for once, the director understands that less is more and the violence (and it is very violent) is entirely germane to the plot and not at all gratuitous. In the hands of a lesser director this kind of subject matter could be heading for exploitation with additional sex, violence and profanity, but the lighter touch really makes a point about moral relativism. Quentin Tarrantino could learn from this director. The film is beautifully crafted and photographed, and the soundtrack is awesome. Everything works and the movie as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts. There is nothing that jars in this and the story of the bootlegging Bondurants - told in an unfussy, linear way (for a much welcome change), will grip. I know someone who has already seen this movie six times, and it could be in for a few Oscar nominations - although not for Tom Hardy.

#32 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Sep 10 2012, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As much as I hate to say it myself, I saw Lawless yesterday and LaBeouf is very good in this. He and Guy Pearce steal the show, even though Tom Hardy puts in his usual intriguing level of interpretation into his role of older brother Forrest.

I cannot recommend this movie enough because, for once, the director understands that less is more and the violence (and it is very violent) is entirely germane to the plot and not at all gratuitous. In the hands of a lesser director this kind of subject matter could be heading for exploitation with additional sex, violence and profanity, but the lighter touch really makes a point about moral relativism. Quentin Tarrantino could learn from this director. The film is beautifully crafted and photographed, and the soundtrack is awesome. Everything works and the movie as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts. There is nothing that jars in this and the story of the bootlegging Bondurants - told in an unfussy, linear way (for a much welcome change), will grip. I know someone who has already seen this movie six times, and it could be in for a few Oscar nominations - although not for Tom Hardy.

Guy Pearce is such a nice guy, i met him at work a few weeks back, he is also in Iron man 3. I will probably see Lawless eventually, probably on Netflix. I saw The Dark Knight Rises, liked the movie but i didnt care much for Banes character. After playing Arkham Asylum and Arkham City on Xbox im used to a buffed up Bane, not the significantly smaller Tom Hardy.

#33 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Sep 11 2012, 04:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guy Pearce is such a nice guy, i met him at work a few weeks back, he is also in Iron man 3. I will probably see Lawless eventually, probably on Netflix. I saw The Dark Knight Rises, liked the movie but i didnt care much for Banes character. After playing Arkham Asylum and Arkham City on Xbox im used to a buffed up Bane, not the significantly smaller Tom Hardy.

Well, I agree that Tom Hardy is a pretty short guy - he's around 5'9" - but he's massively bulked out from the days when he was in Nemesis to the point that he surprised the Hollywood execs and world class fight trainers that he could achieve such a huge physique. I sincerely doubt that many actors could bulk themselves out to the exaggerated proportions of an X-Box or comic book character - and in Nolan's world of Batman which is rooted rather more in reality, I think Hardy's bulk more than fitted the bill. MY problem with Bane was that we didn't really get to see much of his intelligence and that - in the end - he's not really the villain of the piece.

Lucky you meeting Guy Pearce! I still remember him from the days when he was in the Aussie soap Neighbours that no one seemed to be able to avoid on the BBC in the late 80s. He's part of a small stable of actors/performers who went onto much greater things. He is quality in Lawless - he turns in a performance worthy of a Johnny Depp, and if I had to choose between him and LaBoeuf for acting honours this time around, then I'd definitely hand the movie to Pearce.

Actually, if you enjoy movies in their proper setting and appreciate fine film-making, then I'd not wait until it's available on Netflix, and make this one movie that needs to be seen and enjoyed in a theatre. The photography is fabulous and the Blue Grass soundtrack is so zingy and apt to the action, I can't help but think that the action would be so much muted on any other viewing medium. smile.gif

#34 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Jules, coincidently just as I read your post, Guy Pearce arrived here at work. I think Tom Hardy's talent was wasted behind that mask. Im thinking a buffed up bodybuilder could have been better with even a dubbed voice since you never see his mouth anyway. Sort of a Darth Vader type thing.

#35 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:47 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Sep 12 2012, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jules, coincidently just as I read your post, Guy Pearce arrived here at work.

Whaaaaat?!! How very cool - where the hell do you work that stars just roll up??? Did you show him my post?? (Kidding!!)

I think Tom Hardy's talent was wasted behind that mask. Im thinking a buffed up bodybuilder could have been better with even a dubbed voice since you never see his mouth anyway. Sort of a Darth Vader type thing.

Ah, well, I'm not going to disagree with that! I totally concur that any old bit of pumped-up beefcake could have played that role, and I have said so. Hardy's muscles are put to far better use in Lawless!

#36 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Sep 13 2012, 06:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whaaaaat?!! How very cool - where the hell do you work that stars just roll up??? Did you show him my post?? (Kidding!!)

Ah, well, I'm not going to disagree with that! I totally concur that any old bit of pumped-up beefcake could have played that role, and I have said so. Hardy's muscles are put to far better use in Lawless!

I work at a major movie studio in Wilmington,NC. Iron man 3 as well as other movies and TV shows are made here. Dawsons Creek and One tree hill were produced here as well many movies. The new series "Revolution" is being produced here and It stars Elizabeth Mitchell from"Lost" and "V", and Giancarlo Esposito "Breaking Bad". They are very nice people!

#37 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

Did you switch jobs recently (like in the last few years) VF? I thought you worked in a different profession for some reason?

#38 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:42 AM

So did I!

Was I wrong in thinking that VF used to work in the prison system? I'd love to know what capacity you work in at the movie studio VF! smile.gif

(That's if you can tell us!) That has to be the sort of job that would be total "Nerdvana"!

#39 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Sep 13 2012, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you switch jobs recently (like in the last few years) VF? I thought you worked in a different profession for some reason?

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Sep 14 2012, 05:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So did I!

Was I wrong in thinking that VF used to work in the prison system? I'd love to know what capacity you work in at the movie studio VF! smile.gif

(That's if you can tell us!) That has to be the sort of job that would be total "Nerdvana"!

I did work in the Prison system for nearly 20 years, but i decided it was time for a change. I work in Security at the Movie studio. Its really neat! I met several stars of the series "Revolution" today, including Billy Burke, who plays Bella's Dad in "Twilight". One of the neatest things i have experienced so far is getting a personal showing of the Ironman suits from all of the movies including "The Avengers". I cant talk about anything connected with the movies or tv series that hasnt already been released to the news media, but i can say that the job is "Fascinating".

#40 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Sep 14 2012, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did work in the Prison system for nearly 20 years, but i decided it was time for a change. I work in Security at the Movie studio. Its really neat! I met several stars of the series "Revolution" today, including Billy Burke, who plays Bella's Dad in "Twilight". One of the neatest things i have experienced so far is getting a personal showing of the Ironman suits from all of the movies including "The Avengers". I cant talk about anything connected with the movies or tv series that hasnt already been released to the news media, but i can say that the job is "Fascinating".

Congratulations on the change VF! Thats sounds like a fun and interesting job, and hopefully less stressfull and a change from seeing a worse side of society to much more positive one!

I think that puts your job almost right around the corner from mine now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users