1053 replies to this topic

#461 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

9149159658_6109e37d1e_c.jpg

That is about 75,000 kinds of awesome, Jon!

Hey, Zach! Hire JonWes a designer for DST!

+1 Do want.

#462 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

Okay, so quite a few pages back I did a silly sketch of a Star Trek Select Troi. This time, I'm going to show an utterly SERIOUS drawing of what I think would be the ULTIMATE Captain Kathryn Janeway Select toy.

Let's face it, if she ever gets one... it's likely the only time we'll see the good Captain in this form, so I think she needs to hit all the buttons! Now, I do think this might be too much. It seems like maybe with Picard on we won't see quite so elaborate designs with these. Of the things on there, I guess the chair, crossed legs and the coffee cup would be the first things I'd cut if I had too.

But I just think one of the great things about the non-articulated legs is the ability to get really natural poses out of the legs, and this would be a perfect use. So here's my crazy dream:

Insanely huge version of this is here: http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

9149159658_6109e37d1e_c.jpg

So, she'd come with:

Articulated upper body

2 head with different expressions

3 hair pieces

1 phaser rifle hand

1 phaser rifle grip hand

2 neutral open hands

1 coffee-cup hand

1 pair of standing legs

1 pair of sitting crossed legs

Yeah.. probably nuts... but it would be amazing to choose which look you'd want from her. :)

I am not even going to lie. I would buy at least 4 of these if it were made. This would be my dream Janeway figure. Great work.

#463 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

It's certainly a great design! Not sure how much experience we have with swappable hair, outside of Minimates.

Mind if I show it to some people?

#464 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

woah that is awesome!!!!

#465 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

Let me just say that if Diamond Select Toys made the Janeway figure as shown in JonWes's concept art, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. 

#466 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

Wow, thanks everyone! I'm glad you liked it! It was one of those things I got in my head and had to get out on paper.

JMW326 - I hear you. I'd definitely be buying multiples! :) 

It's certainly a great design! Not sure how much experience we have with swappable hair, outside of Minimates.

Mind if I show it to some people?

Feel free to show it to whoever! I do think the swappable hair might be a challenge, but I THINK her hair styles might make it easier than it would be for some characters.

#467 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

Well isn't that amazing. I guess you could relieve DST of the hair issue by having two heads with differing hairstyles/expressions oh and don't tell Zach that we can usually remove women's hair on our own, shhh

#468 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

Wow, thanks everyone! I'm glad you liked it! It was one of those things I got in my head and had to get out on paper.

JMW326 - I hear you. I'd definitely be buying multiples! :)

Feel free to show it to whoever! I do think the swappable hair might be a challenge, but I THINK her hair styles might make it easier than it would be for some characters.

Jon that design is fantastic.  Now I would love a captains line like that.

#469 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

Well isn't that amazing. I guess you could relieve DST of the hair issue by having two heads with differing hairstyles/expressions oh and don't tell Zach that we can usually remove women's hair on our own, shhh

Yep, as a compromise, use "serious" face with bun hair, and "smirk" with shoulder-length hair. Did she really wear a ponytail that often? I can't conjur many mental images of that.

#470 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

That Janeway rocks! Sign me up! Great work. DSTZach...much appreciation for your response to his work. Regardless of the outcome.

(But, please, please, please, please, please...) ;)

#471 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

She started wearing the ponytail in the "Future's End" two-parter in season 3 and kept it though "Year of Hell" of season 4.  Thanks Google!

#472 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

Thanks again everyone. It's nice to see the Captain get some love, as sometimes Voyager feels like the forgotten child of the Star Trek universe toy-wise.

Yep, as a compromise, use "serious" face with bun hair, and "smirk" with shoulder-length hair. Did she really wear a ponytail that often? I can't conjur many mental images of that.

I think that could work, too. If you had to cut any hair option, it'd probably be the pony tail. She didn't have it that long, really. In some ways I remember it more from the Playmates 12'' figure than the actual show!

I think the harder choice is this... I've heard that the head can be one of the more expensive parts of a figure due to the paint apps. So if you had to choose one head (even if you kept the hair swap) which would it be... smirk or serious? I don't really know. They are both so much a part of the character of Janeway.

#473 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

Janeway had the ponytail on Scorpion Parts 1&2 and for part of season 4 then in Year of Hell she had the shorter hair style.

#474 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

An ode to Janeway's hair:

#475 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

LOL - wow, that took someone a lot of time. I was pretty impressed with the literal interpretation of the lyrics.

#476 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

That video is hilarious.

I dunno man...you gotta have two hairstyles for Janeway!  If Spock can have two heads and a giant Horta diorama, then Janeway can have two heads!

#477 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

That is definitely the perfect Janeway.  Great job, Jon!  Aside from an option of hairstyles, that sort of thing would work perfect for Sisko as well (especially considering the Defiant chair is already prototyped).

#478 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:02 AM

Got the Star Trek Select Kirk and Spock today.

Oh man, I am going to have to eat some crow on these guys. When they first showed the concept of these, I was very skeptical. Why forgo articulation in the legs? The dioramas looked cool, but why cut articulation? The more pictures I saw the more I warmed to them, but was far from convinced. Did I want to buy these? The truth is, I grew up with TNG, and though I enjoy the original series I have never bought a ton of the merch with them. I passed on most of the Playmates of the original crew. Same with DST/Art Asylum's offerings. But I decided to give these a go.

I'm so glad I did. I've had a total blast with these figures. I really think everyone is going to get one hell of a kick out of these.

All the pictures here are just the two Select sets. I didn't buy the TRU ones. But just in these two sets you have an AMAZING amount of options.

I'm only posting some pics here. If you want to see the full set you can go here:

9170511161_6287e4e07f_c.jpg

Spock is the crowning achievement here. The only thing he's missing is the Vulcan Salute hand, and I imagine if Selects take off we'll get another Spock one day that can include that. I'm not sure if one of the hands from past DST figures would work? I'll check that out.

9170511819_1eaf4c00f7_c.jpg

The Horta base is incredibly well realized. I do miss the eggs. But it's a small thing to lose. He looks great interacting with it in a variety of ways.

9170512079_4dffefe71d_c.jpg

The alternate head sculpt is awesome for all kinds of poses and scenes. It makes me wish Kirk had another head even more. But what we are getting here is so phenomenal that softens the blow. :)

9170514119_f09eccea59_c.jpg

Nothing prepares you for how HUGE the diorama with Kirk is. It's incredibly well detailed and painted. I love the swappable cardboard backdrop. A really clever way to approach this.

9170514735_4d06ff4116_c.jpg

Can I just say, I think this might be the best Kirk head sculpt ever? I know not everyone has loved it, but I really see Shatner in there. More than any other action figure I can think of.

9170513685_a02d732f9f_c.jpg

I'm officially sold on the solid legs, btw. These figures are just so much more dynamic and exciting than even the past DST figures I've bought. I compare the energy with these to the TNG and Wrath figures I just got. There's just no comparison. It's like the best of action figures and statues combined. I'm blown away by how much I like this.

9170514213_20251cf85e_c.jpg

Just a comparison (I have no TOS figures from AA/DST) to show you how much more natural and dynamic you can get these figures compared to past figures.

9170513195_fbf603cdec_c.jpg

I don't want to overload this with pics, but I had to show more. Again, if you want to see a few more (or see these much larger, I uploaded them at almost full res) click the link above.

Final thoughts? Part of me thinks these are almost TOO good. What do I mean? Well, I am hoping Picard comes with some extra hands ands stuff. Or at least that his torso is made like these so future TNG figures can swap parts with him. The dioramas, the extra parts and the sheer scale of the HUGE amount of awesome that comes with these is so incredibly impressive. I hope they keep it up with Picard. I'm already loving the Borg Base and half Borg after being a bit skeptical of them. But if the final figure likeness turns out like these, then he'll be a must-have. I just hope they are being conservative with what they are showing of him so they can show us more, not less, and avoid the disappointment some have felt when certain pieces were cut from these. But let me tell you, there's no reason to be disappointed by these at all. To offer these with all these parts for $25 (I got mine for $20 and they are pretty readily available at this price) is pretty amazing.

#479 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

Great pics JonWes. These are really a blast to play around with and see what you can come up with. I think for my main display I have settled on this look. I need to find a good backdrop for it.

1372602669_zps317a428e.jpg

#480 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

The Janeway-idea looks awesome! I'd buy one! 

And nice pictures! I especially like the lighting in the last one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users