Voyager Line-up Ideas

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:06 PM

There was a an interesting discussion going on over at the DST forum that has since been hijacked by moronic arguing, so I thought I'd bring it here to semi-civilized conversation.

There is a rumor (started by some punk whose screen name starts with an S and ends in a 6) that DST may not do the whole Voyager crew, a lot of people are saying Voyager won't sell, and then there are those that will disown DST if they don't give us all of Voyager. What if DST does the entire series as two-packs? Pairing a popular character, or popular character variant, with a not-so-popular character. I think this would satisfy everyone, complete crew fanatics, popular character collectors, and DST who wants money.

Something like this:
  • Long hair Janeway w Chakotay
  • The Doctor w B'Elanna
  • Silver Suit 7 of 9 w Kim
  • Short hair Janeway w Neelix
  • ECH w Paris
  • Other suit variant 7 of 9 w Tuvok

I would also gladly take super reuse, ie all men can have the same body & all women the same body, if it means we get the whole crew. This way only four sculpts need to be done, generic women's, generic men's, 7 of 9, and Neelix. Then they can mix and match parts from other lines to make them taller/shorter.

#2 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:15 PM

ive said it before an ill say it again. .. without a complete voyager crew the whole DST/AA catalog will be considered a complete failure in my book. If this is what needs to be done to get us the crew then Im all for it! I dont need a ship or even aliens at this point, just give me the crew!

#3 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

I'd buy them however they came, but 2 packs are a great idea.

#4 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:26 PM

I will buy them however they come and as much as I would like for the entire crew to be made I dont need everyone that ever showed up on the show.
If they went the 2 pack route I would like to see these.

Janeway/Chakotay
Paris/Kim
Doctor/Seven
Tuvok/B'Lana

That would make me very happy.
I honestly dont care if they ever make Neelix or Kess and I would be just as happy with 7 in a Starfleet uniform as I would be any other version of her they made (I dont plan to buy the Borg version anyway).
For me Janeway, Chakotay,Paris,Kim,Doc and Tuvok are must haves. The rest would just be icing on the cake.

#5 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:37 PM

Well my thinking behind the packing with variants is that the popular character would carry the non-popular character. I think they could sell a lot of our missing characters this way (as some have mentioned about Kirk with a Rand, or Spock with a Chapel).

#6 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Jul 4 2008, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For me Janeway, Chakotay,Paris,Kim,Doc and Tuvok are must haves. The rest would just be icing on the cake.

I'd add B'Elanna to the 'must haves' if we would be receiving the rest of the uniformed crew.
Why Playmates continually dissed her in 9" is beyond me.

I'm down with the 2-packs. But I really don't mind how they release them...I just hope they do.

I think Seven will receive her own body for the catsuits, & they will get plenty of use from it! Plus the legs & arms could be used for numerous other space babes (Leeta for example).

Seven is probably right behind Kirk, Spock & Picard in the top sellers of Star Trek (I'd image...Playmates certainly milked her).

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:41 PM

well, I always go by what I think the actual cast list is.

As long as we get an entire cast for each series I think the overall line would be ensured to be thought of as a success by collectors.

Unfortunately, we have gaps. Most noticeable are the missing duty uniform version of Hoshi and Phlox from ENT. But I also think complete casts are not complete w/o Chapel for TOS, Pulaski & Yar for TNG, Quark & Jake for DS9 and Kess for Voyager.

This of course is only one fans opinion, and every fan probably has a slightly diff criteria. If DST's def is complete "Star Trek Bridge Crew" Then ENT still needs Hoshi, and the rest are probably moot, and Voyager can get away w/o doing Nelix, however, for me the overall line will be the worse for not including a version of these characters somehow.

#8 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:24 PM

I'd like it go as:

Janeway / Kes
Doctor / Seven
Paris / Kim
Tuvok / Neelix
Chakotay / Torres
ECH / Seven in Starfleet uniform
Janeway (alternate hair) / Q
Barclay (gray uniform) / Dr. Zimmerman (gray uniform - even if they can't afford the lab coat)

Of course, I want a Bajoran uniform Kira before we get into Voyager so we can be sure they don't forget about her.

#9 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:15 AM

I think the best you can hope for is that they release them within the Borg wave - you buy them to collect another piece to a Borg alcove or perhaps they come with a unique borg drone - enabling you to build your own collective - failing that the least DST could do for you Voyager fans is sculpt new bodies for both Seven and Janeway, in my opinion the only ones that could sell as well as the TNG line as a 2 pack - remembering that the TNG line didn't do very well either.

Who knows, DST might be holding their breath for this film to be a success and revive people's interests in the various different incarnations.

I think DST should sell more with their figures than just the normal accessories. they should release perhaps a replica Enterprise weapons case with Regular Hoshi and Phlox inside it - a unique piece limited to 500.

or perhaps a gold case of figures that only made it to prototype level like the Romulan Senator from Nemesis, The Salt Vampire, Phlox, Hoshi and the Ferengi Borg.

and then perhaps release the entire 7 main voyager characters with free Kez figure in a case - limited to the Voyagers registry number.

#10 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:39 AM

QUOTE(New Frontier @ Jul 5 2008, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the best you can hope for is that they release them within the Borg wave - you buy them to collect another piece to a Borg alcove or perhaps they come with a unique borg drone - enabling you to build your own collective - failing that the least DST could do for you Voyager fans is sculpt new bodies for both Seven and Janeway, in my opinion the only ones that could sell as well as the TNG line as a 2 pack - remembering that the TNG line didn't do very well either.

Who knows, DST might be holding their breath for this film to be a success and revive people's interests in the various different incarnations.

I think DST should sell more with their figures than just the normal accessories. they should release perhaps a replica Enterprise weapons case with Regular Hoshi and Phlox inside it - a unique piece limited to 500.

or perhaps a gold case of figures that only made it to prototype level like the Romulan Senator from Nemesis, The Salt Vampire, Phlox, Hoshi and the Ferengi Borg.

and then perhaps release the entire 7 main voyager characters with free Kez figure in a case - limited to the Voyagers registry number.

]
Actuall like the idea but voyagers registration number is 74656 and I htink DST can only dream about sellign that many figures! wink.gif

#11 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:27 AM

Put me in the "I really don't think they'd sell" category. There seems to be a lot of love for the ship, and equal amounts of hatred for the characters. Whether you feel that wrath is deserved or undeserved, the simple point is that Voyager as a show is generally perceived a failure among the fanbase, to say nothing of the non-fan population. Yes, there are Voyager fans out there, but they're vastly outnumbered, and nearly drowned out by all the shouting.

The show, even among its fans, is often criticized as the Janeway-Seven-Doctor show, so in reality, if you're going to not produce a complete crew, those three are really the most needed, and if I were in control of DST (thank goodness I'm not... it would be run into the ground faster than you can say "it would be run into the ground") those would be the only Voyager figures I'd produce. Honestly, I do not understand the "it would be a complete failure if the whole line wasn't produced" mentality. I just don't understand how one equates to the other. Also I don't understand why people would decide to sell their entire collection and go pout in a corner (which was brought up in the other forum) just because the complete crew wasn't made. If you liked collecting the DST figure line at all, then why should not getting some of the characters take away your enjoyment of the ones you have? I understand being angry about not getting a character you really wanted, but it seem like a very excessive reaction.

Anyway, let's just say for the sake of the argument that we're going to create a complete* Voyager line, then I would release it thusly (in individual packs)

W1:
S7 Janeway
S7 Chakotay
S7 Harry Kim
Shortpacked Ponytail Janeway

2-Pack "Endgame" Admiral Janeway/Captain Kim

W2
Maroon 7
S7 Tom Paris
S7 Torres
Shortpacked Silver 7

2-Pack Paris/Torres in "Drive" uniforms

W3
S7 Doctor
S7 Tuvok
S7 Neelix
Shortpacked ECH Doctor

*There would be no Kes figure

#12 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:14 AM

Looking at the line as a failure has nothing to do with liking individual figures. Taking an example from another thread, Some of the Lost figures have some of the best scuplts/likenesses ever on a figure yet I doubt anyone could say that line was a success. Looking at the DST run overall and looking at the many parts that are missing thus far (VOY, Chapel, Rand, Kira in Bajoran uniform, guinan, need i continue) and the fact that many of the figures look the same because of scuplts then one can judge a line. Without Voyager this DST run would rank below many other lines especially I think playmates. It says nothing to the individual figures but taking the group in as a whole. I wont sell off my collection but Ill question whether or not I should have started it in the first place. If you told me 5 years ago that this line would not have VOY and others, I honestly dont know if I would have started it. When I buy into a line I want a topic to be covered sufficiently.

#13 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Jul 7 2008, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking at the line as a failure has nothing to do with liking individual figures. ... Looking at the DST run overall and looking at the many parts that are missing thus far (VOY, Chapel, Rand, Kira in Bajoran uniform, guinan, need i continue) and the fact that many of the figures look the same because of scuplts then one can judge a line. ... When I buy into a line I want a topic to be covered sufficiently.

I suppose that is the crux of it, isn't it? Characters like Rand, Chapel, and Guinan I consider to be ancillary, and therefore consider the TOS and TNG lines to be complete without them. If we include all these kinds of characters, we'll need to have on the order of 20 DS9 figures for the line to be complete.

Speaking of DS9, it is a crime if Kira is never produced in a Bajoran uniform. IMO, giving us Kira in SF uniform was simply DST cheapening out because they thought they could get away with it since she technically appeared in one for a couple of episodes. Cost effective, but leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

As for Voyager, I think that no matter what quality the figures of previous lines were, they wouldn't sell. Producing a figure line for a show without much of a following is not going to produce very good sales. I would agree that the line as a whole is a failure, but NOT because of Voyager, and neither could it be saved by including a complete line of Voyager. It's failure status to me is cemented in the very lackluster sales of the TNG figures, which if produced an marketed better probably would have seen much more success in the marketplace. Alas, we'll never know.

I think DST made the assumption that past Nielson ratings for the 24th century shows would roughly translate in terms sales, never expected TNG to tank so badly, and now legitimately figure "what chance does VOY have?"

I also consider each show, and therefore each figure line, to exist on its own. Not having VOY does not affect my decision to start a TNG collection. Knowing that there won't be a complete VOY line probably would keep me from collecting ANY Voyager figures at all. I understand that. But I'd happily snatch up the other shows.

all just personal opinion, obviously.

#14 Bender23

Bender23

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:56 AM

Personally, I'd be just as happy if DST only made the ship toy and nothing else.  But I am big into ships and tech.  Not so much with the action figs.

#15 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:58 PM

Dear God Voyager threads are depressing!

Mommy says - "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"

Sci-Fi fans say - "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA....if we did that, we'd never speak again!"

But I think ever since DST stated they wouldn't be looking into Voyager, any conversation about them is somewhat depressing.

I'm somewhat of the same belief as many others here. It doesn't bother me if a show wasn't that great, or if I couldn't stand a certain character...it doesn't affect my desire for their action figures at all.

Hell, I bought Wesley! biggrin.gif
(Truthfully though I don't mind Wes)

But as I stated recently on another figure forum...I am an action figure junky!

Anyway, for the record...I loved Voyager. Even Neelix & Blandy McBland (Kim) happy.gif

#16 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:53 PM

I'm telling you Sam, one of the nicest guys I've met in Trek, other than Mr. Kim himself wink.gif As much as I would love some secondary characters, (Seska anyone, a 2 Pack Cardassian Seska/Chakotay or Kazon anyone?), I wouldn't mind the 2 pack solution as long as I got the complete bridge crew. I'm really hoping the new movie generates some interest in Star Trek again. They've started showing TNG on Sci Fi and I wonder how it's doing there? I personally like Voyager, but thought they lost a bit of the heart of story when Kes left. But rewatching some of the old episodes, I've started to rethink that logic. Everyone seemed to evolve as a character on that particular show and it didn't seem forced. Like I said, as long as I get a complete set of the bridge crew, I'd be happy. If they threw in some creative secondary characters, even better.

#17 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Jul 7 2008, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally like Voyager, but thought they lost a bit of the heart of story when Kes left. But rewatching some of the old episodes, I've started to rethink that logic. Everyone seemed to evolve as a character on that particular show and it didn't seem forced. Like I said, as long as I get a complete set of the bridge crew, I'd be happy.

I liked it too. It was actually the 1st of the series that I watched as they came out from beginning to end. The complaints people have are very real, but no show is w/o flaws. I actually like DS9 better than Voyager now-a-days, and I really grew to like DS9, but it took me 3 or 4 seasons!

There was a fundamental flaw with Kess and the Ocampa, which sort of gets shown in "Fury" (season 6), which I think was the short life span.

Anyway, yeah if all we can get are bridges crews because only new head sculpts cost out, great. but if we never get any voyager figures, I won't call the line a failure.

I like what I have gotten and will keep posing and re-psoing them!

#18 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:54 AM

I really only want the Doctor, Seven and Janeway. I wouldn't want to be forced to buy Kes, Belanna and Chakotay to get them.

#19 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:41 AM

I liked Voyager as well. Of course it had episodes that I didnt care for but there hasnt been a version of Star Trek yet that hasnt. As far as figures go the only ones that are must haves for me are:

Chakotay
Paris
Kim

But I would realy like to get:
Tuvoc
Janeway
EMH
B'Lana

The ones I would buy if they made but dont have to have are:
Captain Ransom
LT. Max Burke
Seven of Nine