Star Trek Select

• Please log in to reply
1053 replies to this topic

#1 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

TNI Preview Pic of Spock.

I'm so in!

#2 admiralsands

admiralsands

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:08 AM

Me too!!!!

#3 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:02 AM

It looks like a totally new head sculpt - which is very good - but what else is special about this figure? I'm not being a naysayer - I'm genuinely curious!

#4 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:24 AM

I think its a totally new sculpt Jules. It looks to me like DST has finally abandoned the old AA molds and re-done him.

I like it. But we really need VulcanFanatic to weigh in as he's the resident Spock expert!

If this is the direction DST is going with Start Trek Select, I take it as a good sign. I think we're still going to see lots of Spocks and Kirks though, but if I'm hoping The Move Quickly and at least do the 5 Captains.

5 captains and 5 1st officers from all 5 series would be the bomb!

#5 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

Well we have more articulation than originally proposed. Theres at least Shoulder x2 and Elbow x2 (i think...maybe 1). Id also assume it has neck articulation and we know the legs will be swappable from previous information so it could be the static kneeling pose or that may offer articulation to get it there as well. With the base for 21.99 seems cheap by todays standards. Id say this is a promising start.

I also say screw the five captains... release Kirk, Spock, then 7 of 9 in her own alcove.

#6 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

I am pleasantly surprised. It looks great and like they have finally gotten away from those rubber shirts. About time.

#7 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

I'm sold, looks really cool. Hope we see some pics of the Horta base and yeah that's a totally new sculpt - this was billed as a new line separate from the old so I wouldn't expect these to be in the same scale.

#8 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

Oohhhh, I hope we get to Seven of Nine sooner rather than later. Provided retailers pick these up.

#9 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

Sorry folks...I can't agree. The sculpt is fine...but there's nothing wrong with the one I have. I just don't need another Kirk and Spock. If I DO purchase this, it will be for the Horta. If the other set is Kirk and Khan then count me out. Now...If they spread this out to the other series, I'll definitely take another look. I love their work I'm just SO OVER Kirk and Spock.

#10 Tomparis

Tomparis

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:45 AM

I agree with Weyoun_9 how many Kirk and Spocks do we really need? I will say the head sculpt does look a little more detailed and thats great but Kirk is Kirk and Spock is Spock. You dont need a dozen Spocks and Kirks lol. I also agree if they move out to other series then I will be interested. I would love for them to release some more Enterprise figures. Such as the Orion slave women from season 4 or even better figures from "in a mirror, darkly". They could even do Xindi. Another possibility is an aliens of the Delta Quadrant series, so they could do heirogens, kazon, ocampa, talaxians etc.

Also for somebody on a shoe string budget $21.99 is a little high. I mean for somebody who has a moderate to high paying job and steady work Im sure its not an issue. Im just giving the poor collector perspective lol. Of course I buy everything from some small toy shops or second hand so that's why $21.99 sounds high to me. Im sure in perspective on the toy market that's pretty inexpensive.

#11 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:35 AM

Thanks for the information re the complete new sculpt. I took a second look at that picture and noted that they do seem to have moved away from the rubber shirts - although I really didn't mind them. I assume that the articulation to enable to the figure to kneel is some kind of painful split through the pelvic region LOL! I actually can't see from that pic how the articulation differs from the figure I already own - even tilting my lap top screen.

I DO like the new head sculpt ... a lot, but I have to agree with Weyoun that there are really rather too many Kirk and Spocks out there and they just aren't different enough to warrant new ones. I tend to agree that it's possible to be Kirked and Spocked out. I seem to have LOADS of variants in my collection already and many of them are TOS era variants. They will, of course interest the hard core completists, but I don't know how much wider the appeal will go.

I would like to see a set of new premium sculpts of captains and first officers from all the series - as has been previously suggested. I'd love to own a 7 of 9 figure too! I'm not sure I'd want another Orion Slave Girl - one is quite enough for me, although I think she's not well sculpted and doesn't even stand up properly on her stand.

However, I can't help but think that captains and Xos from all series is probably not going to happen now since it seems that only TOS and TNG have any vintage appeal. I can't see DS9 or VOY figures selling well, and as for the Xindi, well, yes, that would be cool, but I think that is the very height of aspirational thinking and DST have a proven track record in not giving us the popular figures they promised us, nor complete lines.

#12 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:39 AM

It is a higher price point then what Mattel or Hasbro are currently charging at big box stores for like product. Mattel DC stuff is typically ~$18 and Marvel is $15 (in a similar scale of course).

DST's Select line has always commanded a bit of premium though, and while they used to be around $18 it looks like they have creeped the price up by $4 over the years. So yeah if your buying a Marvel legends figure your spending $15 vs the DST Select at $22. Thats a 50% difference when you look at it that way.

#13 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

You would have to compare these to a more limited series like Marvel Select or MOTU Classics both of which are right at that $20 mark. To be honest TRU was selling their exclusive Legends scale stuff for about $18. WWE Elite scale is around $17 and the TRU Elite exclusives were $23 (just by adding a collect and connect piece). For cryin out loud 3 3/4" figures run about $9 now (I can remeber buying GIJoes for a 1.98 off the shelves at TRU back in the day). So my point being that this price point isnt a crazy price point in the least bit and now seems to be the industry standard for small run lines.

On the bright side youre getting the detailed base that most of these other lines do not have. You have to look at this line maybe a little more like you did the Cpatians Chair line of years past than the individual figures releases. It sucks for people on a budget but the days of $10 for a 7" figure are gone. You'll probably be able to pick this one up on clearance eventually though so with patience youll be able to get it.

#14 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

Yeah the Horta looks nice, I guess getting a bonus Spock with it is OK.

http://i.toynewsi.co...e...00&start=40

#15 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

The Horta DOES look nice...a little small, though, if memory serves. And I'm very curious to know if its part of the display or if its removable. Because after seeing the new picture I can GUARANTEE that the only part of that whole thing that would make it on my shelf is the Horta.

Regarding the price point...unless the Horta is just part of the base, I'm thinking of this as a two-pack, so $22 isn't terrible. Now, if that's NOT the case...then I'd agree. Can anyone confirm whether or not the Horta is removable?

OH - And I had this thought...if the Spock came with a second head as well as the second pair of legs, and it was a Spock feelnig the Horta's pain...that would be different and pretty cool.

#16 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

I like the idea. It is just like the NECA Terminator figures as far as articulation. They are in somewhat of a standard pose but with enough articulation to change them up from time to time. I like the idea of the themed bases too. I know people complain about Kirk and Spock (way to much) but they are going to part of and launch almost any Trek line so we may as well accept that and hope that DST branches out to other shows. Since the select line is usually limited to only 5 or 6 figures a year I hope DST mixes the shows instead of doing TOS one year TNG one year and so on. They need to do a couple from each show throughout the year.

#17 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

This looks to be more like the Universal Monsters Select line - limited articulation but better sculpting and far better than what we got from DST with the old Star Trek line. I'm happy, this looks like a really nice set and I am thrilled that they have actually called the line 'Star Trek: Select' which means that it'll come packaged in DST's huge select blister card hopefully with some nice artwork and a character specific bio on the back (as per the Universal Monsters Select and Marvel Select).

I do hope that they include the 'PAIIIIN' face for spock, which was shown on the drawings at Toy Fair but I'm guessing these are still very much in development as there doesn't seem to be a Kirk on show and Spock looks like an early prototype.

As for the Horta, yeah looks a little small. if anyone has the Universal Monsters Select Creature from the Black Lagoon, I'm gonna bet that it does remove but it is sculpted in a way that is specific for that area of the diorama so displaying it on it's own it may not look as good as it does on the base, just like the woman who comes with the Creature.

Just really pleased with DST at the moment, they seem to have really pulled it together - I mean ok, their release dates are still a bit crap and QC remains to be seen but all in all bravo DST!

#18 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Jul 13 2012, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know people complain about Kirk and Spock (way to much) but they are going to part of and launch almost any Trek line so we may as well accept that and hope that DST branches out to other shows.

If enough people are/were complaining about too many Kirks and Spocks...maybe its less to do with the people complaining and more to do with DST's choices.

That said...I guess I'm not clear if this is a "launch" or a "continuation." Especially if it's a launch, yes, it makes sense to start with Kirk and Spock. However, I'd like to know more about the direction they plan on going. If the next two are Kirk and Spock from Amok Time, followed by Mirror Kirk and Spock, Piece of the Action Kirk and Spock, etc...that would be irritiating. If the next two are Picard and Data, followed by Sisko and Worf, followed by Janeway and 7 of 9, then I would feel better about the start of this line. Especially if each were paired with villains, like Judge Q, a Jem'Hadar, the Borg Queen, and so forth. Without knowing more, I'm just anticipating that a TOS or Kirk/Spock focus would keep me from committing to this line. Which would be disappointing because I love their work...and I do want to buy their stuff...but only if they're characters I'm interested in.

Long story short, I'd like more details about the intended future of this line. (Oh...and they would be better served to pair Kirk with a character they have never released.)

#19 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

I dont think they are pairing figures with others but rather giving it a unique diorama piece. I would not expect "2 packs" from this line. I think you may be more apt to see a character with a signature location or episode specific location. Maybe something like:
7 of 9 & Alcove
Sisko & his desk
Data & the Holodeck entrance
McCoy & an Sickbay Bed

Im sure theres better examples too...
i think if you do a quick good search for marvel Select itll paint an excellent picture of the types of things that could be possible...my hope is for command consoles and captains chairs personally

#20 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jul 14 2012, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont think they are pairing figures with others but rather giving it a unique diorama piece. I would not expect "2 packs" from this line. I think you may be more apt to see a character with a signature location or episode specific location. Maybe something like:
7 of 9 & Alcove
Sisko & his desk
Data & the Holodeck entrance
McCoy & an Sickbay Bed

Im sure theres better examples too...
i think if you do a quick good search for marvel Select itll paint an excellent picture of the types of things that could be possible...my hope is for command consoles and captains chairs personally

Consoles and chairs...especially if they ended up connectable...would be pretty cool. There were photos linked from Flickr in another thread, the "New Star Trek 'figures' from DST?" thread, that showed Kirk fighting with Khan...which is where I was getting the "two-pack" idea. I'd love more details...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users