• Please log in to reply
339 replies to this topic

#81 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:43 PM

Agreed !!! Looks much more promising with this new trailer.

#82 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:23 AM

Wow. That trailer was just superb, absolutely superb. I really got the sense of this crew being at the final frontier's edge. All the actors seem at the top of their game as well and for the first time I'm feeling a sense of excitement when I hear/see Urban's McCoy, Quinto's Spock, Pine's Kirk, Cho's Sulu, Pegg's Scotty and Saldana's Uhura. The only one who seemed underused in the trailer was Checkov but man what a refreshing thing to see after Into Darkness, this just seems to have that spirit and heart of Star Trek right there, it's a trailer that for the first time seems to be proud of the fact that it's a Star Trek trailer, it's not hiding or trying to be Star Wars or Guardians of the Galaxy. That right there was a modern take on Star Trek, a trailer for a movie that had the spirit of Star Trek right there front and centre. The pace of the trailer was excellent, the visual effects were mind blowing (this is going to look stunning on IMAX) and honestly this was the best trailer for any movie coming out in 2016 I've seen. 

The spirt of Star Trek and the legacy of Roddenberry is alive and it looks as breathtaking as it has ever looked.

#83 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:37 AM

Spoiler

#84 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:02 AM

I thought it looked good from the first trailer but this one makes it look even better. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one.

#85 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:13 AM

New poster. 

cq0XX3a.jpg

I really like it. 

#86 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:41 PM

I love the poster and the new warp effect, it's exactly how I imagine warp looking if it were real.

#87 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:24 PM

Here's an exclusive poster that was given away at the fan event yesterday. It may seem a bit familiar. 

ShuchXz.jpg

#88 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:21 PM

Love the poster!! The only thing that worries me a bit is the fact they took so long to finally push this movie.... It's only two months away and only now are we getting a real feel for the campaign.

#89 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:32 PM

I don't think it really matters and to be honest had it been pushed sooner then it would have been lost amongst the Marvel Civil War marketing campaign and earlier this year the Batman V Superman campaign.

Now is the perfect time for Star Trek to hit it hard and two months is a fine amount of time to advertise a movie properly.

#90 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:47 AM

I was going to watch the newest trailer but after being sold on the first one and preferring to watch big reveals on a big screen, I'll just be happy that this preview was better received and wait patiently for the movie release. 

#91 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:01 AM

New Trailer

Much better than the first one.

I could not agree more! :) I watched this the day it came out online several times and saw it for the first time on TV last night! It just looks and feels so much more like Trek, and it's actually done what the first one was supposed to do, and has made me excited for this movie! It finally feels like the spirit of Trek has made its way to the JJ–verse.

Also, I really have to give Justin Lin credit, say what you will about him, but he definitely seems to know what he's doing even when Paramount's marketing team didn't, and he may be largely responsible for putting an end to the Axanar lawsuit after raising hell with some Paramount execs, which alreadys puts him in good standing as far as I'm concerned. Paramount and CBS were both about to be distracted by a legal battle that would have likely alienated fans, but as a fan himself, Justin Lin pushed for Paramount to drop the lawsuit and come up with some clearer guidelines for fan–films, which thankfully put an end to this qaugmire before it could get started, and that came served with an awesome trailer and that equally awesome TMP–style movie poster for Beyond that I absolutely love! I'm starting to feel very good about this film, especially compared to how I felt after the first trailer, which had the exact opposite effect of this one.

Spoiler

#92 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:37 AM

Here is a pretty interesting description of two scenes that were shown at the fan event. I'm having a real hard time resisting reading spoilers for this movie for some reason.

#93 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:33 AM

That trailer... did I just see some science in that fiction!?

Just goes to show what taking JJ and Orci out of the picture can do!

I have previously committed to not supporting this film as a reaction to the crap-fest that was Into Darkness and its retro-active confirmation of all of Trek '09's flaws... that's going to be hard to do now, because this really actually looks like a decent film.

this just seems to have that spirit and heart of Star Trek right there, it's a trailer that for the first time seems to be proud of the fact that it's a Star Trek trailer, it's not hiding or trying to be Star Wars or Guardians of the Galaxy.

You are SO right. This is Star Trek out and proud - it even wears its introspective, contemplative nature on its sleeve, with those opening moments of Kirk's self-doubt. It's like it's trying to acknowledge the idiocy of the previous two films and work them into something more intelligent, and I'm quite happy about that.

Of course, I'd rather they just cut this continuity loose and reset back to proper Star Trek, but alas, that'll never happen. Here's hoping the JJverse's Enterprise-A looks less "designed by committee" than this 1701.

Spoiler

You're gods-damned right it is! I wonder if they were taking inspiration from Space Engine's depiction of warp fields, by way of Interstellar?

#94 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:12 PM

Much more interesting trailer; not just dirtbike jumps. Pretty good selection of scenes that doesn't spoil the plot, other than that whole destruction-of-Enterprise-aspect.

#95 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:14 AM

I'm encouraged by several things in this trailer:

1. I didn't see any lens flare. 

2. The dialog suggests some good insightful and introspective thought might go into this script.

3. the visuals look absolutely "Yummy"

4. We might actually be told a new story about our favorite crew!

Things that aren't encouraging to me:

1. My concern of Lin's hyper over-stimulated action packed frenzy style direction/producing that brings in the fast and furious crowd seems warranted.

2. it seems we are destroying yet another ship!

#96 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:05 PM

Yeah the JJ-Prise just cant catch a damn break haha

#97 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:15 PM

The Enterprise in general can't catch a break in movies.

I'm curious if we do get an A, if it will look much different.

#98 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:56 AM

Right??!!

I gotta say if any organization lost assets at such a rate with so little ROI it'd would soon be defunct!

#99 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:47 AM

Things that aren't encouraging to me:

1. My concern of Lin's hyper over-stimulated action packed frenzy style direction/producing that brings in the fast and furious crowd seems warranted.

2. it seems we are destroying yet another ship!

I would be worried about that first issue if not for the fact that the JJ–verse already has established itself as being overstimulated and action–packed with a frenzy style. If anything, "Beyond" looks like it's taking time to breathe a bit in a way the earlier films didn't, so Lin's style doesn't concern me too much. Especially not after it became obvious that he "get's" Trek and is trying to make this feel like Trek as much as he can.

As for your second concern, I have to admit that it rubbed me the wrong way at first, as it effectively has the Enterprise destroyed while it would have still been under the command of Robert April in the Prime Universe, but then again, this might not be a bad thing as it effectively makes a radical change to the way the JJ—verse plays out, and helps validate the usefulness of having a second universe in the first place.

The Enterprise in general can't catch a break in movies.

I'm curious if we do get an A, if it will look much different.

I wouldn't go that far; the original 1701 had reached the end of its life, and was running surprisingly well before Scotty's jury–rigging failed in a combat scenario that he hadn't anticipated. The Enterprise–A was recalled, most likely as Starfleet seemed to be ready to phase out the constitution–class more than anything else. The Enterprise–B took some damage, but wasn't even really ready for anything beyond a shakedown cruise. Likewise, the Enterprise–E managed to survive an encounter with the Borg, the loss of a warp core at the hands of a Son'a madman, and being used as a battering ram, and yet it still managed to avoid being destroyed in any canonical works. The one exception to this rule would be the Enterprise–D, which did seem to be the victim of being hit by pot–shots from the Duras sisters, but that says more about bad writing in GEN than about the "E" not being able to catch a break.

Given that the original "A" came after 25 years of service from the 1701, and this ship is only three years old, I wouldn't be surprised if we never got an "A" in the JJ—verse. Maybe a new ship with a new name and not just the one in the trailer, but likely not an "A," which would honestly be fine with me.

Right??!!

I gotta say if any organization lost assets at such a rate with so little ROI it'd would soon be defunct!

To be fair, this seems to be a JJ–verse issue. The Prime Universe lost ships, but not enough to believe that it was hemmoraging assets. The JJ–verse has made it look like the whole of Starfleet has practically been wiped out two times already, which is beyond excessive, but that seems to fit with the JJ–verse's over–the–top nature in general.

#100 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:57 AM

Well.. since ST Beyond is in the JJ Verse... that is the context of my comment...and its not that they are blowing up the Enterprise all the time... because they don't... but right off the bat in the 1st JJ movie Star Fleet seems to have been "cored" by the Romulans... then they expend more assets in whats is essentially a civil war.

"Beyond Excessive" is a perfect way to describe it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users