• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:13 AM

Ryan Reynolds is perfection as the "Merc with the Mouth". He was badly mis-cast as green lantern, but as Deadpool, it all comes together for him. I thought it was witty, smart, and of course over the top at many points. I've also liked Morena Baccarat since her firefly days. I found the chemistry between them great. Overall Deadpool is a thumbs up for me.

#2 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:44 AM

Wow. only a budget of 58 million... and its grossed over 250 mil world wide. I read an article that Fox slashed their budget by 7 million, and they cut a number of action scenes. Reynolds said it was probably better that way as they streamlined the movie. other than some nits on some of the CGI... I didn't think it suffered at all.

#3 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:28 PM

I wanted to like it but ah, I just couldn't get into it. I'm not a huge superhero fan. Batman and Superman are as far as I go and honestly Batman is the hero I grew up on and he just had the coolest car.

Deadpoool seemed to me (a novice who hasn't read any of the comics and didn't really know the character) seemed to be trying too hard. Beyond the opening credits which I found funny, it slowly became boring for me, I just didn't care for him or the world around him.

Ultimately this film is I'm sure aimed at those hardcore comic book fans who knew who Deadpool was before entering the cinema. For me I didn't care enough.

I think I might be a DC guy?

#4 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:11 PM

I've never read any of the comics, but I loved the first trailer they released and want to see it. I'm conflicted though as to whether I want to spend money going to a theater, or just redbox it when it comes out. 

I don't know, maybe I'll save the money and use it to see 10 Cloverfield Lane when it releases in theaters. 

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:38 AM

I wouldn't say I'm a hard core Deadpool fan, but I have read a few Deadpool books. Apparently there were going to be more action scenes but they had to cut them due to the budget. I thought it was fine, but if like more action in your movies, you might be disappointed.

My rule... when in doubt, wait for redbox.

#6 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:49 AM

I only vaguely knew about the existence of a character called Deadpool before the marketing campaign started up.

While I can totally see your point, 1701D, about it seeming to try too hard in parts, and I was definitely not sure if I liked it in parts, I thought it all came together in the end into a satisfyingly irreverent pastiche of the whole Super-Hero movie genre as it exists today. Great stuff.

Favourite line:

Spoiler

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:21 PM

Ha! that's what I loved about it. All the quips like that one!

Until Marvel really started taking control of their properties... I have to say most efforts in the super hero genre were weak at best... don't get me wrong... it never stopped me from liking the genre and going to most... but most weren't really that great.

IMO Batman Begins was probably the 1st really great effort, there were a number of really solid movies prior, like spider man or blade... and even the rocketteer was pretty fun. But once we got Batman Begins, and then the Dark Knight, we got Iron Man, the avengers, Guardians of the galaxy X-Men first Class, and a few others that were really great.

I don't know that I would rank Deadpool as a "great" superhero movie, but I put it in that solid ranking with the likes of Blade.

#8 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

I've never read a Deadpool comic or seen him on the animated Spider Man show...and I loved the movie.  Ryan Reynolds was perfect.  

All I knew going in was that he's a smart ass "reluctant" hero. 

#9 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:07 PM

Until Marvel really started taking control of their properties

Deadpool wasn't actually made by Marvel - it was made by 20th Century Fox, who make the X-men films. The licensing issues between the different cinematic universes are very complex, and are drawn along character lines. The only notable share seen thus far is Quicksilver, Pietro Maximoff - and Marvel have limited his involvement to prevent headaches and confusion (and probably because X-Men Days Of Future Past did him so much better than Avengers 2).

[...] Batman Begins [...]spider man [...] blade... [...] Dark Knight [...] X-Men first Class

Batman and Superman are DC characters, not Marvel, and Spider-Man, Blade and X-Men were made by other studios (though Sony apparently signed a deal recently to allow Spiderman to feature in Marvel Cinematic Universe films). I think I heard Marvel have gotten the rights to Blade back, though I cannot imagine them not using Snipes... and introducing a Vampire underworld to the MCU would be messy at this point... it's probably better tonally to just keep Blade in his own universe.

#10 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:40 AM

I think Goth is talking about superhero films in general and their quality regardless of the studio that makes them?

I think the the explosion in popularity of super hero movies as its own movie genre can be traced all the way back to Bryan Singer's first X-Men movie. Sure we'd seen Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin and a bunch of Superman movies but it wasn't until X-Men that studios began to see the money making potential. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight trilogy expanded upon the popularity and now that Disney are running Marvel, these movies will go on forever...

#11 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:01 AM

Actually most people would say it started with Blade back in 98. I love that movie,not that it's a great movie or anything,but there were a few surrounding circumstances that mad me enjoy it more than I thought I would,lol.

#12 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

Stupid computer! Doing the double post thing again. Grrrrrrr.

#13 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:31 PM

1701D has my thoughts....

Yep there were some good Marvel movies, blade, spider man etc... but then they started becoming hit or miss. So Marvel Formed Marvel Studios... and started trying to get some consistent quality. Now even if they licensed a property out, Marvel Studios seems to be at least trying to stay involved in process. Previously I think they just let the studios do what they like.

Destructor... I switched gears a bit... sorry I see how it could e confusing. Of course I know what are DC characters and Marvel Characters... I was just commenting that I felt runs like Batman, starting with Batman Begins, started showing that super hero movies could be more serious.

Blade still holds up... but by the time you get to blade 3 its a bit repetitive and tired. The tobey mcguire spiderman movies were pretty good too.

But DC or Marvel, there are a long list of pretty bad or mediocre superhero movies...

Most of the early superman and batman movies, while fun at the time just I find just don't hold up.. and the list goes on... punisher, Daredevil, Elktra, Ghost Rider, howard the duck, Swamp thing, Fantastic Four, The first judge Dread...

I don't think DC has figured out how to try and manager their brand like Marvel has... but I was speculating that Marvel actually got the idea around the time Batman Begins came out and it may have been a catalyst for their current (winning) strategy.

#14 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:19 PM

I saw Deadpool this weekend and loved it. I laughed the entire time. It stayed true to the source material. My wife did not think she would like it hoping in but laughed and had a great time too. I hope we get more like this and I would love to see some other X Men related movies done like this with an R rating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users