Photo

"Battlestar Galactica" Movie heading to the big screen.

Battlestar Galactica reboot squared Dylan Clark Michael De Luca Scott Stuber

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:24 AM

No, this isn't some cached webpage from 2014, a new BSG film is actually in the works again, presumably in the form of yet another reboot.

www.engadget.com/2016/02/11/battlestar-galactica-movie-starts-coming-together/

As Engadget reports, Dylan Clark, Michael De Luca, and Scott Stuber have signed on to helm a new BSG film franchise. Given that Glen A. Larson himself was quoted as stating that "it ends when they find Earth," you can almost definitely bet that this will be a proper reboot and not some continuation of the rather finite BSG '04 series or the original BSG from the '70s. There's still no word on whether the tone will be more in line with classic BSG or with BSG '04, or any details on much else including whether the Cylons will be reptiles, "toasters" or something else entirely, but for now there's at least an announcement that theatrical BSG films are indeed in the works.

While the absence of Ronald D. Moore might be disturbing for fans of BSG '04, it's worth pointing out that Clark has experience with "after the end of the world" style stories and was tied to Rise of the Planet of the Apes, so we're not getting complete unknowns on the production staff. If you want an idea of the tone that this series might take though, look at the titles Engaget credits to De Luca and Stuber, with the former being associated with The Social Network and the latter being associated with Ted. Based on those choices, it looks like NBC/Universal is aiming for something between the campy original show and the dark and gritty '04 series from Ron Moore. (Look on the bright side of Ron Moore presumably not being involved in these films; it leaves him available to be added to the roster for the new Star Trek series.)

Personally, I'm hoping for a couple of small things from the upcoming movie, regardless of whether or not it's expanded upon further.

• A cameo or even a full–blown role for Richard Hatch; he's been in every BSG universe to date, and has effectively become to BSG what the late Leonard Nimoy was to Trek—the proverbial "face" of the franchise
  • A reference to the "Battlestar Larson" and the "Battlestar Moore" in the inevitable destruction of the 12 colonies of Kobol

#2 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

I much preferred the '04 BSG to the original. 

I wouldn't mind a mix of the two styles, I just hope they steer clear of all the religious stuff that plagued the end of the '04 series.

#3 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:38 AM

I've known people who swear by '04 BSG and others who swear by the original, so I can definitely understand where you're coming from, especially since I've only seen a small amount of the original and almost all of the '04 series. (Not to mention the TV movies and Caprica, a highly underrated series if there ever was one.) I had mixed feelings about the religious stuff at the end of the '04 series, (it made sense with the way the show ended, but it's not necessarily the direction I would have liked to have seen it take,) but it's definitely something that I could do without repeating. On the other hand, I did like the idea of the Reptilian Cylons of the original BSG a bit more than the Robotic Cylons of BSG '04, so I wouldn't mind seeing something like them again, or even something like Insect Cylons under that armor this time around. A mixture of the two styles honestly seems interesting to me, and it probably wouldn't hurt to blend the two together for the big screen, especially given that this is trying to compete with Star Wars, but will probably draw in the kinds of people who weren't exactly happy with the last Star Trek film as well if it manages to keep some of the more intelligent moral drama of the '04 TV series, which I've occasionally referred to as "Ron Moore's Battlestar: Voyager" given that it was basically the story he wanted to tell with VOY at a time when it just wouldn't have been possible with VOY's budget and early CGI.

I just hope NBC/Universal actually follows through with this project, and that they don't self–sabotage it the way they did with the prequels to BSG '04. Caprica should have gotten a second season, but NBC/Universal (SyFy's parent company) really botched the show's release and seemed more interested in killing it than in fixing the mess they made with how they were releasing it, which is a shame because I absolutely loved the series and felt it was a worthy prequel to BSG '04.

#4 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:48 AM

I really wish Caprica had gotten its second season, the show was just picking up and getting really good. The tease at the end of season 1 was painful to watch knowing it was cancelled. 

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:31 AM

Yeah, I was actually enjoying Caprica... I you and I were the only ones Alteran195.

#6 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:08 AM

NO NO

I really wish Caprica had gotten its second season, the show was just picking up and getting really good. The tease at the end of season 1 was painful to watch knowing it was cancelled. 

Yeah, I was actually enjoying Caprica... I you and I were the only ones Alteran195.

NO NO. I was all in on Caprica. i loved it.

#7 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:57 PM

Caprica really picked up towards the end of season 1, but it was a bit of a mess for the first three quarters of its run. I too was disappointed when the credits rolled after that tantalising tease, but I could totally understand why.

I lay the blame for the direction (or lack thereof) that both BSG and Caprica took starting with season 3 of Galactica at the feet of Jane Espenson. She was the show-runner on Caprica, and was pretty much in charge of later-seasons BSG, too - Moore had scaled back his influence, though he still plotted the course.

#8 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:11 AM

No Gothneo, my entire family was enjoying it as well. I would have been significantly more furious over the cancellation if it didn't seem inevitable thanks to Sci–Fi being incapable of competent scheduling. NBC/Universal turned bad scheduling into an art form with Caprica and it cost us a superb series. Showing the pilot almost a year before actually releasing anything else, including a release date for the actual series premiere definitely didn't help things, and the random hiatuses that the show was subjected too only ensured its demise. The one good thing to come out of Caprica's cancellation was a casting choice for Grimm, but that's about it.

NO NO NO NO. I was all in on Caprica. i loved it.

WORF22, trust me, you weren't the only one; I loved the series too, and the biggest problem was really NBC/Universal being incapable of programming Sci–Fi and subsequently deciding that they were also incapable of spelling it. They would put the show on a random hiatus and then do a shoddy job of promoting its return and eventually half of its viewers just got sick of jumping through hoops to watch the show, which ultimately lead to its cancellation. Had they just gone straight through or even had one hiatus and a set return date, they probably would have retained the audience needed for a second season.

Caprica really picked up towards the end of season 1, but it was a bit of a mess for the first three quarters of its run. I too was disappointed when the credits rolled after that tantalising tease, but I could totally understand why.

I lay the blame for the direction (or lack thereof) that both BSG and Caprica took starting with season 3 of Galactica at the feet of Jane Espenson. She was the show-runner on Caprica, and was pretty much in charge of later-seasons BSG, too - Moore had scaled back his influence, though he still plotted the course.

Destructor, I know exactly what you mean about the tease, because it just convinced me that the writers had learned from their mistakes in season one, and that season two would have been an improvement. The first three quarters of Caprica suffered from bad scheduling and the fact that they were clearly laying the groundwork for future events. The advantage to this is that it eliminates the need for a technique like flashbacks to be abused every 16 seconds to tell the audience about a character's past. The disadvantage is that it essentially causes a show to start slowly before spooling up its FTLs in future seasons. This can be done successfully, but not when the scheduling is as disastrous as Sci–Fi's was, and that's what really hurt Caprica. I've watched other shows that started out like Caprica, and the payoff is always after the early episodes where certain events that seem insignifcant turn out to be pretty important once the show picks up steam. This is what Caprica looked like it was positioning itself to do before NBC/Universal made the mistake of pulling the plug, and I only wish they'd have given Caprica one more season to prove itself before cancelling it; at best it would have taken off, and at worst they could have had a series finale planned that would have wrapped things up and not left me feeling like I was cheated out of an excellent series.

Jane Espenson also had a hand in Jericho from what I can remember, but I don't believe that she was the showrunner. (Why couldn't Caprica have some reference to nuts so we could have just used the Jericho playbook to try and save it?) However, I seem to recall her also having a hand in Revolution, and that series seemed to wind up having similar issues to Caprica in its second season where it stopped being a journey series and wound up "running in place" in the general vicinity of Texas. The only thing that kept steam from coming out of my ears when it was cancelled was that I knew it was "sacrificed" to give Parenthood a proper send–off, and given how much of my viewing time I'd invested into that show, I was willing to tolerating losing Revolution to see a critically–acclaimed series highly underrated by the average viewers have a proper ending. Having said that, if Revolution hadn't fallen off the rails, there wouldn't have been a need to consider cancelling it in the first place, and the teaser for the next season of that series was just as good as the teaser for the second season of Caprica that we never got. I only wish NBC/Universal would give at least one of those shows another try, even if not on NBC or SyFy respectively. Of course, with BSG movies now in development, I doubt we'll ever see a return to Moore's take on BSG and its universe, which is a shame because it was far more intelligent than a lot of what's out there, and the concept behind Caprica (a civilization developing technology that they weren't ready for as a society,) seems even more topical now than it did when Caprica initially aired.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users