• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:22 AM

Just curious if anyone is going? I'm very excited, I'm heading there to see Avery Brooks, the first DS9 cast I get to meet! It's also great to see Chase Masterson was added as a guest, so I get two from my most favorite Trek in one day!

I'll also be looking for Mickey Dolenz, Joe Pantoliano, Margot Kidder and possibly Walter Koenig. I'll go broke on autographs!

#2 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

How was the Comic Con?

I always like listening to Avery Brooks speak... and I've found Chase to be very gracious as well!

Did you get any Autographs?

#3 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:01 AM

The con was fun as always! My wife and I went, and met up with a friend there for "Of Gods and Men" (which I'm sad to say, we were all very impressed with the look of it, and very underwhelmed by the story and acting).

The first celeb was Margot Kidder, who took like 5 minutes looking for more photos to lay out. She was nice though, and good to hear she's just enjoying life now. Very pleasant woman.

Next up was Mickey Dolenz, formerly of the Monkees. I'd like to say it was nice to meet him.. but I really didn't. He just kinda seemed to be there for the money, and barely said anything. He really just stood there smiling, and doing the "Mickey blink" once in awhile. I had a better conversation with the blond woman who was next to him (she didn't have a convention-workers tag on, so I really don't know who she was, but she was nice and actually seemed to be interested in what I said even if Mickey wasn't. lol).

Number three, Joe Pantoliano! He's much shorter than I expected, and was kind of hidden beneath a hat, glasses, and a bunch of jewelery. He was nice enough, what you'd expect from the east coast (he's from Jersey, correct?). Not too big on the chit-chat. Basically, not as nice as I thought he'd be, but certainly no complaints. He said he was in MI to shoot an independent film.

From there, it was off to one of the more harrowing ones for me.... meeting the first cast member I had for DS9! DS9 is easily my most favorite Trek.. and I stuttered like an idiot about it to Chase Masterson (who looked *great*!). I think she may have thought me a bit odd.. you can kinda see it in their eyes. I did briefly walk by later when no one was there and apologize for my stuttering earlier. wink.gif

Second to last... Avery Brooks! Thankfully I kept the stuttering in check this time, but boy was I nervous. I really had no reason to be, as he was one of the most kind, gracious people I've ever met! They usually ask your name, and I'll also introduce my wife.. Avery was the first person who really seemed to care (and remember her name a little later!). I'm usually the type also, who while I'd love to chat with them forever, that wants to get out of the line so other people can get up there and meet the guests. So after he signed my photo, I went to put it in my bag as he was getting up to have a photo with us (more on that later). He jumped in in a nice way and asked me what the hurry was and took my bag out of my hand as well as he led me to the front of the table for the picture. My wife had the camera, and he said that she needed to be in the picture as well, so a convention guy took the photo. My friend who was with us took a pic on the digital camera, and afterwards, Avery asked who he was and introduced himself as well, even though he wasn't getting an auto or anything. Super, super nice guy.

Having a little money left over, I wandered back to Walter Koenig and got his autograph as well. I admitted I'd yet to see the original series, but I loved the films. He asked if I'd ever seen Babylon 5, and I told him I hadn't, but it was indeed something I was interested in seeing. He kind of didn't seem all there..

My big gripe of the whole thing (if you've read this far!) is the growing trend of charging to have your picture taken with someone. The autographs, fine. Have a picture taken and charging money for it is just plain silly and a tad bit greedy. Okay, if you want to be like Frakes and Kidder and lean over the table, that's fine. That said, I did pay for Masterson and Brooks. I didn't for Pantoliano and Dolenz. It's a little sad.

Outside of "Of Gods and Men", we went to Mickey Dolenz's panel.. for all of two minutes. There were no microphones, so not only could we not hear the questions, we couldn't hear Mickey! So off we went to Avery's panel. My friend wasn't too impressed with him, but I found him to be very well-spoken, intelligent, and fascinating. I could sit and listen to him all day. I didn't get a chance to ask a question (front row seating seemed to be the area he was looking past since he barely glanced to the corners there), and it was only a half hour compared to what the book said (an hour), but all-in-all very enjoyable.

So that's basically our time there! I can't say enough praise about Avery, as he was easily the high-light of everyone. I'd love to meet him again and be a little less nervous and thank him. wink.gif

I'm guessing no one else from here went? I met a guy from the AA boards again briefly, but that's about it.

#4 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:08 PM

Im glad you had a good time. I always feel dirty when I have to pay for an autograph or picture and usually dont. Avery seems like a good person both on screen and from other things Ive read about him. Maybe one day I'll get to meet him! It seems as if he made you feel good about the money you paid!

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:08 AM

Typically, the stars get paid a flat rate to appear at these shows, and so really don't mind if someone takes an extra pic with them!

I find the smaller venues like the one your describing seem to be not only the best value, but also the People are more at ease because the Handlers aren't rushing them so much.

I honestly never cared much about meeting and talking to celebrates, but a couple years while at SDCC, I did get some Trek Autographs, and I find the experience, on the whole, very fun as most of the stars were very gracious and would take some time to chat with you.

In the larger venues, the handlers try and rush things along, but then you get to meet more of them...

So it's a mixed bag as far as I'm concerned.

I'm planning to hit the Las Vegas Con in full force this year, and I have a number of Autograph tickets lined up already...

Avery Brooks is one I don't want to miss!

#6 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:49 AM

thehsbr: I understand the paying thing.. I actually wish they'd post the prices they charge so you could see from somewhere other than standing in front of them. I feel funny asking, and then giving the money to someone sitting right next to them.

And I'd highly recommend Avery, Goth. He couldn't have been more pleasant and easy going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users