3 replies to this topic

#1 2thGuy

2thGuy

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

Hello All:

Just returned from Star Trek: The Tour, currently in Long Beach, California. I took my somewhat reluctant wife, with the promise of buying her lunch after the event. Bribery works very well, guys. The Tour is a Trekkers delight. Every series, every movie is represented in one form or another. If you're into Trek Tek, there were props galore (maybe a hint of things to come from DST). You could have a picture of yourself on both TOS and TNG bridge sets, as well as the time portal from City on the Edge of Forever. There's a TNG transporter set where you can see yourself being "transported" via a TV monitor. There are life size head sculpts of numerous aliens and a slew of costumes (my wife's favorite part of the exhibit) representing most of the series and movies. A full size model of the Scorpion ship from Nemesis (might have been the actual filming prop) is prominently displayed. I was acutally amazed at the amount of TV and movie items on display; I thought the recent Trek auction had emptied the Paramount prop vaults. For the slightly more adventurous, there are two Disneyland Star Tours-esque simulator rides. There is an audio self guided tour available, but I didn't have enough time, and my wife didn't have enough patience. The upcoming Star Trek movie is mentioned only once, and only in the form of the release date. At the conclusion of The Tour, you are routed through a Trek gift shop with the usual t-shirts. posters, cups, etc., along with some DST product: action figures and Enterprise E. For those of you with deeper pockets than myself. there were some VERY nice framed and autographed lithographs from the various series. There were no price tags on these items, but it probably goes something like- if you have to ask, you can't afford it! If you desire food and beverage after panting like a hound from your Star Trek orgy, there is a small dining area aptly named Ten Forward. Hot dogs, hamburgers, and pizza rule the day here.

I spent 2 hours at The Tour. If I hadn't brought my wife I could have probably spent at least 4 hours. This is a unique chance to see props and costumes up close, and boy, does everything look different up close than on TV or on the movie screen! I haven't been the Star Trek: The Experience in Las Vegas for some time, but as I recall, the exhibits are somewhat similar.

All in all, a wonderful display of Trek. 4 stars out of 5. Would have been 5 out of 5 if some of the filming models of the various Enterprises' had been available for display.

#2 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE(2thGuy @ Jan 31 2008, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just returned from Star Trek: The Tour, currently in Long Beach, California.

And so it begins!!! biggrin.gif

#3 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:24 AM

Ok tour HEAD NORTH EAST!!

#4 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:32 AM

Ok... I'd been wondering what the heck happened to the "Tour" for some time now!

Well... here it is!

http://thedistrictwe...rom-space-jail/

Looks like it's going to be hitting San Fran and then heading to the Mid-West!

yea!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users