Photo

Status of DST's Star Trek license.

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#21 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

I actually prefer the Eaglemoss ships over DST's. I've never been a fan of the voices and sounds and I only use the lights right out of the box. With the Eaglemoss ships you can display more in a smaller space and there is a ton more variety. I've even been considering selling off most of my DST ships.

#22 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:25 PM

For the smaller scale, I agree that EM is the best. If QMx ever actually gets around to releasing their small ships, that could change, but for now it's definitely EM.

But at a larger scale I still prefer DST.

#23 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:34 PM

I have really enjoyed the DST ships but they take up quite a bit of room. I think I'll just stick with a couple of them and continue to grow my Eaglemoss display.

#24 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

They do indeed take up a lot of room.

I don't have the Klingon BoP displayed because of room, I don't even know where I'd put Reliant at this point if it does get released.

#25 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:17 PM

And I think we only think their ships are great because we haven't seen greater yet

What would be greater?  Yeah some of the Enterprise's had flaws but the BOPs were spectacular.  Plus besides DST I cant think of another company thats doing ship toys as well as them.

As of this point Im taking a wait and see attitude.  I went back and checked the DST Facebook page and a couple posts seemed to indicate as late as may 16th that they were still doing Trek stuff.  So as others pointed out this seems to be news for them as well.  

#26 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

I'd love to see a different company take a crack at bigger, electronic ships to see if they can do better. Playmates certainly stepped up their game with the 2009 Enterprise they released, but it was still subpar compared to DST's offerings. 

Well that Playmates toy was only half (or less) the price of a current DST ship.  Soooo...

What would be greater?  Yeah some of the Enterprise's had flaws but the BOPs were spectacular.  Plus besides DST I cant think of another company thats doing ship toys as well as them.

I kinda think all the Enterprises had flaws, though, I do like the BOP.  Just on the whole they have always felt kind of flimsy plastic-wise, and their stands have always felt phoned in, and there are often electronics issues (playback speed) and a lot of excuses that don't add up for why there's no "always on", or other light features that seem simple to implement.

I am even more tainted in opinion now that I purchased the new Playmobil Ecto-1.  This toy is very realistic (given that it is still meant to be a stylized Playmobil universe vehicle), plastic is very high quality, light/sound feature is simple yet amazing and perfectly done, has some screen-printed (tampo? whatever) and some sticker details...and can be bought at around $40.  Plus it includes figures and accessories.  So again, I can see another $20-30 on the MSRP and lose the figures and you could have a pretty good Trek ship these days...

#27 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:08 AM

DST finally replied to my tweet. 

They said this won't affect them at all. 

https://twitter.com/...396817998295040

#28 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

Same here

https://twitter.com/...396509825994754

#29 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:12 AM

This is great news to me.

Competition is good, and may make DST care more about Trek if Macfarlane starts doing well with it.

#30 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:16 AM

So I guess that means they can still keep rolling out one or two figures a year and one ship or tech every three. Lol.

They are wrong though. It is going to have an effect on them. Customers like me who are over the delays and excuses and overall poor attitude to their fans are going to stop buying from them all together and start buying from MacFarlane.

#31 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

They are wrong though. It is going to have an effect on them. Customers like me who are over the delays and excuses and overall poor attitude to their fans are going to stop buying from them all together and start buying from MacFarlane.

Which could either make them stop making Trek, or make them commit more to it. 

Either way with MacFarlane having the license too, we wouldn't be losing much. Except for ships, which I'd miss. 

#32 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:32 AM

Sorry it took so long to respond to people on Twitter, I just wanted to confirm what I thought, which is that we are still making action figures, ships, role play, etc.

Borg should be offered soon, with more articulation, plus interchangeable parts for different looks, and hopefully it addresses people's concerns about the line.

And two ships (Reliant plus ______) are more or less completed, so they may come out in more rapid succession, which is obviously another concern.

TNG Phaser, I have no idea, but we're still trying to get everything inside that little guy.

AND we've expanded our license! So you may see more products from us, from different areas of the Trek universe!

We'll also announce our SDCC exclusive soon.

Sorry if people consider me too sarcastic or what have you, but I sometimes respond to what I perceive to be overly dramatic comments with humor, and I do not mean to lessen your feelings on a matter. I certainly do not want to discourage people from enjoying our products, and I do not believe I have ever told anyone NOT to contact customer service with an issue. We can't do anything for a ship that you've had for ten years, but if it has a problem out of the box, contact us.

Otherwise, I hope you guys like what Todd puts out, and I hope he gives you the articulation you were looking for.

End transmission.

#33 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

Don't suppose you can expand on that different areas of the Trek universe comment? Are we talking Discovery, or Kelvin, or something else? 

#34 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

Interesting. Well, good to see DST will be doing what they do. Hopefully McFarlane will be successful in supplementing that.

#35 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

Zach nice seeing you again!  This is indeed good news!

And two ships (Reliant plus ______) are more or less completed, so they may come out in more rapid succession, which is obviously another concern.

Good to hear will we hear or see anything at SDCC.

#36 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:44 AM

Time for wild speculation and hopes that they got the Kelvin Timeline license, and have been working on the Enterprise. 

Probably not though. 

#37 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

... we are still making action figures, ships, role play, etc.

AND we've expanded our license! So you may see more products from us, from different areas of the Trek universe!

We'll also announce our SDCC exclusive soon.

Sorry if people consider me too sarcastic or what have you, but I sometimes respond to what I perceive to be overly dramatic comments with humor, and I do not mean to lessen your feelings on a matter. I certainly do not want to discourage people from enjoying our products, and I do not believe I have ever told anyone NOT to contact customer service with an issue. We can't do anything for a ship that you've had for ten years, but if it has a problem out of the box, contact us.

Otherwise, I hope you guys like what Todd puts out, and I hope he gives you the articulation you were looking for.

End transmission.

Zach, I've always been thankful for your contributions to the board!

This does confirm what I suspected at one point... which is CBS is simply offering up additional licenses.

This is great news for fans of DST's Role Play like I am... and I welcome more role play from others!

#38 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:07 AM

Borg should be offered soon, with more articulation, plus interchangeable parts for different looks, and hopefully it addresses people's concerns about the line.

giphy.gif

Time for wild speculation and hopes that they got the Kelvin Timeline license, and have been working on the Enterprise. 

Probably not though. 

That would be my ideal.

#39 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:48 PM

...huh.

#40 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

I'm very happy with this. 

I was worried before, but now that we're going to have two companies doing Trek toys it can only be a good thing for collectors. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users