*It's

#1862 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:01 AM

*It's

Ha ha ha ha! You're killing me MisterPL! 

I uploaded a new picture you can use for your avatar!

gallery_26_18_6966.jpg

#1863 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

Thank you for the welcome guys! I'm looking forward to this after 10 plus years' of no new Trek on TV.

We currently don't subscribe to service which brings Discovery to Brits, but that will change! :)

#1864 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:28 AM

Ha ha ha ha! You're killing me MisterPL! 

Hey, if you're going to correct someone else's post, you'd better do it right!  ;)

#1865 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:36 AM

Don't stop!  :lol:  B)

#1866 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:20 PM

*It's

Haha, fair.

It wasnt to do with correcting his grammar though, it was more to do with the fact that it was the only thing I could pick from VFs awful attitude that was remotely Important.

Jules... youll love Netflix, even if you dont like Discovery, theres so many great things on demand. The future is now!

#1867 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:44 AM

I gotta say I love being able to watch any and everything on CBS commercial free. I assume netflix provides it commercial free too?

#1868 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:26 AM

Netflix does, no ads on Netflix at all, its a brilliant service.

#1869 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:25 PM

I gotta say I love being able to watch any and everything on CBS commercial free. I assume netflix provides it commercial free too?

Yes,commercial free and they don't charge extra for a commercial free package, it's all commercial free.

#1870 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:57 PM

CBS All Access with no commercials is cheaper than Netflix. $9.99 for CBS while Netflix is increasing its pricing for their plan to $10.99.

CBS All Access with commercials is $5.99, and is also in HD and can be streamed on 2 devices at the same time.

The cheapest plan Netflix has is $7.99, and is only Standard Definition, and can only be streamed on a single device.

While theres technically more content on Netflix, it all depends on what shows you watch.

My parents are getting a ton of use out of All Access, more so than Netflix at this point since they watch a lot of CBS shows.

#1871 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:42 PM

theres technically more content on Netflix

And that makes a lot of difference in my opinion and is worth a couple dollars more a month.

#1872 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:13 AM

Alteran, Does Netflix offer a discount for an annual sub? Because AA does and that works out to $8.25 a month if you buy it that way,

#1873 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:53 AM

Netflix doesn't offer annual subscriptions. 

#1874 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:30 PM

At the end of the day. When you walk into a shop or a restaurant or cinema or wherever... you expect to pay for either a product or a service. Depending on how much you want something, youll pay for it.

In the end, advancement in technology will take the consumer into choosing what subscription service they wish to buy. Cable or network TV will eventually die out sooner or later.

I really dont get the big hoo-har over subscription based TV. Youre paying for a service that you will hopefully enjoy. If you dont want to, then no one is forcing you to.

I would imagine that the Blu-Ray sales of Season 1 of Discovery in the US will be hugely popular; for those who loved the show and watched it on All Access/Netflix, and for those who chose not to purchase AA/Netflix just for Discovery, but are prepared to put a one off payment down for the entire season on Blu Ray or 4K.

I think that in the next 2/3/4/5 years more shows like Star Trek, Doctor Who, Star Wars, Marvel, DC... will only be available on streaming. I personally do not watch broadcast Tv anymore. I watch shows on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now TV and on catch up services like BBC iPlayer and ALL4 - on demand TV, when I want it, how I want it.

If you want to continue to fight against change then fine! Do so, but I can tell you now, that the battle has already been lost for traditional network or broadcast TV. We live in a world where Alexa will turn off your lights for you, where you can programme your vacuum cleaner to hoover the house before youre even home...

For fans of a Sci-Fi show that pretty much pioneered these technologies, I dont understand why there are still a few that cant embrace streaming.

#1875 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:10 PM

I don't care about network TV, I got tired of endless commercials long ago.Havent watched network TV at home in ages. I prefer streaming services. I don't know anyone that rails against streaming services, only that if they want to watch 14 shows, they don't want to pay for 14 different streaming services. The streaming service that offers the best and the most content are the services that will maintain the most subscriptions.Also, I can't imagine paying for an annual subscription. I prefer to have the option to service hop if a particular service isn't showing new content that i want to see. Keeps them on their toes more.

#1876 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:30 AM

I think that in the next 2/3/4/5 years more shows like Star Trek, Doctor Who, Star Wars, Marvel, DC... will only be available on streaming. I personally do not watch broadcast Tv anymore. I watch shows on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now TV and on catch up services like BBC iPlayer and ALL4 - on demand TV, when I want it, how I want it.

Pretty much true already. In the US, Dr Who was always only available through speciality channels... originally only on our Public Broadcast (PBS)... most marvel shows are on Netflix, which are behind a paywall. I haven't paid for Cable for Years... and now I don't see a need for even over the air antenna. As you've said, you can get all the channels you want on demand through streaming.

#1877 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:00 AM

There are already rumors of Disney making a Star Wars live action tv show for the streaming service they plan on launching in a couple years.

Id imagine at some point Marvel will move there too.

#1878 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:38 AM

True, I think we are there now in many ways.

Disney are launching their own subscription based service in 2019 with a Star Wars TV series. All of the current Marvel TV series are also going to be moving from Netflix to Disneys new service. Id imagine in a deal not to dissimilar to the one CBS have with Netflix for Star Trek - shown on the Disney streaming service in the States, Netflix in the rest of the world and also remaining producing partners.

I think were going to see a change in what Netflix offer; more of Netflix producing shows with studios for the likes of CBS All Access and Disney as well as launching original content on their own service like Stranger Things, Orange is the New Black etc...

Its nice to see that CBS are pioneering the idea that studios develop and set up their own streaming service. Star Trek: Discovery has quite literally changed the face of TV in the US by ensuring All Access success, the likes of Disney see the potential in launching their own streaming service.

#1879 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:17 PM

Netflix is investing more and more money into original series and movies. They know well enough that other studios/companies are going to start their own streaming services, and end up pulling stuff from them.

Netflixs catalog has already been shrinking, and its gojng to continue to going forward.

#1880 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:00 AM

Netflix acquired Millarworld in anticipation of Marvel going to Disney's service. I wonder where the Fox shows will end up. Will they still air on Hulu or will Marvel insist that Disney's service get first dibs on Legion and The Gifted?

It's only a matter of time before Star Trek is pulled from other services and streamed exclusively on All Access.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: star, trek, cbs, 2017, series

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users