81 replies to this topic

#41 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

A good article over on Trekmovie...

It says much of what I think we have been talking about and concluded...

In our opinion, Paramount needs to realize that Star Trek is not a summer tentpole franchise that can go toe-to-toe with comic book films and action franchises. The franchise would be better off releasing films later in the year when there is less competition.

and..

While Beyond disappointed at the box office, it did not bomb. Paramount can possibly make up for any projected revenue that it failed to make through television distribution rights and home video sales. Star Trek 4 is certain to move forward, but may be given a significantly lower budget. As we have pointed out in numerous articles, Star Trek tends to do best with limited means.

We believe that Star Trek is entering another golden age. Despite Beyond’s allegedly disappointing box office numbers, it was a brilliant film.  Paramount and partners Skydance and Bad Robot are moving ahead with a fourth film, and Star Trek is only five months away from returning to television after 11 years, with Star Trek: Discovery about to enter production.

Star Trek lives.

#42 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:10 AM

I'm inclined to agree with TrekMovie on this.

Star Trek isn't tent pole material and it was a bad idea to try and push it into this arena.

Star Trek is an anomaly in that it is the only sci fi franchise to successfully transfer from TV to film and then back to TV again on numerous occasions. Stargate, X Files, Doctor Who have all been transferred into cinematic stories but not nearly as successful as Star Trek.

There is still legs in the old girl yet, the message Star Trek presents is everlasting and is more relevant in today's world than at any point in 30 years. It's just finding the right outlet for Star Trek to successfully exist and its finding out what works for Star Trek as both a TV series primarily but as a film franchise too, rather than trying to replicate the success of bigger cinematic brands like Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy (aka: Marvel) which Star Trek just isn't ever going to match in financial success.

I do wonder if what we are seeing here is the demise of Paramount Pictures. That studio is in trouble.

#43 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:58 AM

Gotta agree.

I doubt Paramount is going out anytime soon. Viacom, its parent company will fix the brand, or at worse sell it, but its library alone is worth a ton of money.

#44 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:09 PM

I wonder if we would see CBS stump up the cash to buy Paramount from Viacom?

#45 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:28 AM

For what it's worth, STB is kicking ass and taking names in China, currently sitting at 160% of STID's take by this point.

#46 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:03 AM

Yeah it's doing pretty well over there. Not surprising though when it had two major Chinese investors marketing it over there.

This could potentially see more of a Chinese influence in Star Trek 4...

#47 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:24 PM

Well... hopefully China can pull another 100 million. 30 mill in its opening weekend... and if it trends like normal movies in the US... we'll see a 50% reduction next week, but it could do it!

#48 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:14 PM

Stargate was actually a successful movie. And while I enjoyed the movie,I never got into the tv show,found it boring and tedious. Think I only saw ONE episode that was ok,the rest that I saw were kinda meh.

The two Who movies with Peter Cushing are not considered canon. The tv episodes released on the big screen are just that.......episodes released on the big screen.

But I do agree that Star Trek was never meant for the big screen,even though I love seeing it there.

#49 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:58 AM

I don't think over ever seen anyone say they thought the Stargate series was boring, but enjoyed the movie. The movie is incredibly slow when compared to the show.

If you just watched a season 1 episode, watch more since season 1 is probably the worst season of SG-1.

#50 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:36 AM

The series and movie really have nothing in common apart from the fact they use a star gate and are called Stargate.

I can not for the life of me remember that movie but I thought the TV series was pants.

#51 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:35 PM

I love the 3 Stargate shows and wish it could of kept going. But yeah, season 1 of SG-1 isn't an easy sell. My favorite seasons were actually 9 & 10.

#52 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:55 PM

I love the 3 Stargate shows and wish it could of kept going. But yeah, season 1 of SG-1 isn't an easy sell. My favorite seasons were actually 9 & 10.

Wow, not many people think that storyline is their favorite. I think it's good, not as good as the rest of the series though.

3-7 are prime SG-1 for me. Season 8 wasn't bad, but it wasn't the same.

#53 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:19 PM

I loved Vala and the Ori storyline. Snake heads and Replicators grew really tiresome for me.

#54 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:57 PM

Mcgyver!

oh.... yeah... no....

#55 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:37 AM

I like the Ori storyline because of all the stuff we learn about the Ancients.

But I really like the dynamic of the original SG-1 more than the "new" one in seasons 9 and 10.

That isn't to say I don't like Cam and Vala, I do, but they aren't the same as O'Neill.

#56 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:34 PM

I could go on about Stargate but I feel like this thread has been derailed haha.

We now return to regularly scheduled ranting...  :P

#57 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:00 PM

So... STB opened in China on almost 78,000 screens! Thats a huge number! but yet it only took in about 30 million. That translates to about $385 a theater vs almost 15k a theater in the US.

While they may have great market penetration, they aren't very lucrative on a per theater basis.

#58 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

I don't think it opened on that many screens, it was shown on 6,526 screens opening weekend according to variety. 78,000 screens is an insane and probably an impossible amount, I don't know where you got that figure from??

http://variety.com/2...ina-1201852068/

It took in $31.3 which is a superb earning.

It apparently looks on course to do between $77 and $100 million in China which is incredible for a Star Trek movie.

#59 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:37 PM

I got it from the-numbers.com which is a type of variety blog. I really couldn't belive it was right so I looked up Batman V Superman and that was reported around 81k! Maybe they count the screenings differently... because that seems insane... but then there are 3 billion people there...

and yeah... its making money... I was just trying to get a gauge what it was making per theater.

#60 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:21 AM

screens ≠ screenings

My local theater currently has Sully opening tomorrow on two screens with five screenings each. I think that kinda math may be where the "78,000" comes from.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users