6 replies to this topic

#1 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

A Syfy show and an MMO game by Trion.

Really liked the premiere. A fun show that could bring some of the luster back to Syfy. It's not perfect from the off with room for improvement, but I really liked what I saw a LOT.

I'm also playing the game which, despite not being much of a MMO guy I'm really enjoying. 

#2 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Watching it now... but as soon as "SyFy channel original series" popped up on screen, I thought "welp... this is gonna get cancelled!".

#3 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Well, who knows. But I wouldn't be so sure. This is an original IP for Syfy, and over $100m has been sunk into the development of the show and the game. And the first season is in the can. So we'll at least get one full season. Plus, it set some ratings records for Syfy as far as being the most watched show in years.

#4 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Hmm, yeah - it's enjoyable, but I don't feel they fleshed out the backstory enough. There's no "Point Of View" character, someone through who's eyes we may learn about the world, so there are a lot of instances of unnatural exposition - the mayor's "We all know the story (but I'm gonna tell it anyway)" speech at the beginning was a real clanker.

On the one hand, we're lucky that there wasn't too much of that kind of exposition, but on the other, I don't really know why the races are there, why they're terraforming the Earth, why humans seem to be ok with that... maybe I wasn't paying enough attention?

It's very reminiscent of Terra Nova - a criminal with family thrust into a peaceful colony in the midst of a dynamic and dangerous world full of scary creatures accidentally becomes the local sheriff while a sinister conspiracy within the ranks of the allies plots to destroy everything for some as-yet unclear greater good...

But they're doing it better than Terra Nova did.

Criticisms aside - this shows some promise, and DAMN, it's good to see some sci-fi back on the air!

#5 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

I had the "it feels like Terra Nova" moments too. Glad I wasn't the only one. And it has flavors of Caprica as well in the terms of the family political dynamics. It also had a few rare moments of Firefly for me...but not nearly enough. 

I think it's an interesting concept at least. They have certainly sunk enough money into the advertising and game development. 

#6 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

I wanted to like it.  I got through half of the second episode and found I wasnt paying attention.  I just got bored I guess.  

#7 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

Still loving the show. It just keeps getting better and better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users