• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:49 PM

Does DST have the licence as this is a prime universe series?

#2 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:01 PM

I'd assume licenses work off the individual series versus Star Trek as a whole. Example. STO got the rights for the Kelvin Universe recently, but doesn't have the rights to Beyond.

#3 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:49 AM

I thought it was Star Trek Discovery, sans colon.

And it was my understanding that CBS licenses the new films separately because that's how Abrams wanted it. Of course he's also the guy who didn't want any merchandise but that based on the new flicks in order to focus consumer attention. Since he's not involved in Discovery, this may be an add-on to DST's existing agreement.

Ask DST!

#4 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:07 AM

I thought it was Star Trek Discovery, sans colon.

And it was my understanding that CBS licenses the new films separately because that's how Abrams wanted it. Of course he's also the guy who didn't want any merchandise but that based on the new flicks in order to focus consumer attention. Since he's not involved in Discovery, this may be an add-on to DST's existing agreement.

Ask DST!

No, no, no, the official materials are using Star Trek: Discovery with a colon, and with at least one report going as far as pointing out that "the colon is the correct, official abbreviation," unlike Star Trek Beyond or the other Kelvin Timeline material that's been omitting it. (I wouldn't be surprised if this was stressed in said article specifically because of how it was omitted from the last two new Trek entries, both of which were in the Kelvin Timeline.)

As for the way CBS licenses the new films, Abrams wanting them licensed separately probably played a role in that decision. I also wouldn't be surprised if that decision were made as a result of the legal nightmare that the Trek films are with CBS owning the master rights to Trek, Paramount retaining control of the movie rights, (initially just for creation, and subsequently for distribution,) Bad Robot and Skydance gaining some say in the Kelvin Timeline movie rights, and not at least two foreign companies also contributing to the production with "Beyond" and also likely having some control over the rights as a result.

Now that we know DSC is set in the Prime Universe, it's quite possible that it might be an add–on to DST's existing license. Even if it isn't, I would think that anyone with a brain in the licensing department would be willing to offer DST the first bid at the license if only for the fact that it's basically considered a corporate courtesy in this sort of situation, but more importantly, because it would prevent CBS from further causing a legion of angry Trekkies and/or Trekkers to be up in arms over DST not getting the license. Personally I hope that DST gets the license for DSC, even if Paramount continues to be uninterested in providing them with a license for the Kelvin Timeline. Granted, DST keeps trying for the Kelvin Timeline, so maybe Paramount will eventually give DST a shot since they seem to actually understand what fans want in a way the licensees Paramount has previously picked for the toys hasn't ever really grasped. (It doesn't help that Paramount has wanted toys for kids while consumers have wanted something along the lines of what DST has been offering. Maybe they'll finally come around to DST with "Beyond" having no toyline at all, which is nuts when DST would have jumped on it if given the chance.)

#5 tuvok47

tuvok47

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:27 AM

Beyond toys.

Kirk in survival suit on motorcycle. Sulu in Kelvin Pod. Swarm ship with battle damaged Spock and McCoy figures. Krall with interchangeable heads. Jayla with spring loaded weapons.

Would've been neat.

#6 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:08 AM

I feel like if Playmates had produced something like that in their classic 4.5" scale, it just might have reignited the action figure line, assuming they didn't botch it the way they did for Trek XI. Give DST the license for the larger ships like the Enterprise and the Franklin, as well as accessories (especially phasers,) to go with what you've proposed for more traditional articulated action figures, and I think you'd have a very happy group of fans who collect Star Trek toys.

#7 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:56 AM

Star Trek in 2009 had to come out of the gate with a lot more than just a movie for an action figure line like the one you guys are hoping for now.

I agree that any new toy line for Star Trek should come from Playmates and continue on from where they left off in the 90's just as they've done with their TNMT line. However The 2009 toy line was pretty crappy but even had it been amazing, the problem would have still been there; kids aren't into Star Trek.

You want kids into Star Trek you put out a decent cartoon/animated series out for kids to get invested into and you follow the success TNMT has had for Paramount, Nikelodeon and Playmates.

The Kelvin Timeline is the perfect subject material for an animated series because it's bright, it's colourful and full of fantastic aliens that would really appeal to kids if kids were into Star Trek but as it stands; the kids aren't bothered and the movies aren't enough to get them bothered about Star Trek and the majority of people who go and see these movies wouldn't even collect an older more grown up line from DST let alone a kids line from Playmates.

Star Trek: Discovery will have the same problem. It won't be geared towards the kids! Therefore the best we can hope for in terms of merchandise is for Diamond Select to pull their finger out and start producing Star Trek toys, hitting their release dates in a timely and effective manner and not keeping fans waiting for years for one or two products.

That being said, if Star Trek: Discovery takes off and really becomes as wildly popular as Doctor Who was when it was relaunched back in 2005 or Star Trek: The Next Generation became in 1992 then it's possible, however unlikely, that we could see a resurgence in Star Trek toys and by Playmates or another mainstream toy maker. But there are a lot of 'if's' there.

#8 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:02 PM

1701D, I have to disagree with you a bit on this one. Had the toyline from Playmates not been cringe–worthy in 2009, and had the movie not been released at the height of a global recession, the toyline likely would have fared much better than it did. Kids might not normally collect anything related to Trek, but Trek XI was a more kid–friendly Star Wars–esque Trek than most, and there were definitely a lot of kids in the audience every time I saw it, so there might have been some interest in a toyline if the toyline itself wasn't so underwelming. I should also note that other more toyetic shows suffered by switching to that 3.75" scale for their action figures in a cost–cutting measure around that time as a result of the aforementioned recession. A couple years later when the economy was still just starting to recover they switched back to larger figures and their sales jumped through the roof, so size really does matter. Star Wars can work in the 3.75" line because it's comfortably grandfathered in there, in some cases literally; if you're a kid and your father and/or grandfather give you their old Star Wars figures, you've got toys that will fit nicely with all of your new stuff, which is admittedly an incentive to buy more toys. When you've got a bunch of competing scales and incomplete lines, you inevitably wind up with a mess that just turns off collectors and irritates kids who want to mix and match their favorite characters.

Having said that, I actually do think that your idea for a Kelvin Timeline animated series is a good idea, especially if it's running parallel to DSC, as it would be a good way to get kids interested in Trek, and it would allow the action–driven Kelvin Timeline to be expanded upon in canon without inpeding on the tone of the more thought–provoking and plot–driven Prime Universe. To be honest, I'd prefer for DST to just get the license for DSC and to continue cranking out ships and accessories, but I'd also love for them to revive their 7" articulated action figure line with DSC and VGR bridge crews. If DST isn't going to do that though, I wouldn't mind seeing Playmates just handling action figures in the style of their '90s line, and would love for DST to sculpt them and Playmates to handle the distribution, which sounds like what was going to happen with some TOS figures in the style of the Trek XI line had it actually sold instead of warmed shelves based on an announcement that was in the works at the time.

DSC is a Prime Universe series though, and I'm hoping that it's covered by DST's current license, or expanded to DST rather soon. The people most likely to collect DSC toys are the kind of people that DST is already catering too, so it's not like the Kelvin Timeline where the toys were targeted at an entirely different group of people.

#9 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:22 PM

Whether or not the first 2009 Star Trek movie was a more kid-friendly affair is moot, the Star Trek brand was at the time, completely irrelevant to kids.

We're going to have to agree to disagree here because there was no way in hell that a single Star Trek movie, rated 12A/PG-13 was going to appeal to kids enough to support a lengthy toy line.

fans expecting there to be a resurgence in merchandise similar to what we saw back in 1992 with Playmates are going to be waiting for a very long time.

Even though Star Trek: Discovery provides an opportunity for Star Trek to return to its natural roots on TV, the manner in which it is returning doesn't suggest that they're going after the kids.

Star Trek is hitting an older generation before a frame is shot of Discovery by going direct to Netflix and All Access. Whilst a lot of people do watch streamed shows, its not the same as gathering around the TV with your family to watch Saturday evening Doctor Who on the BBC. So where's the toy line going to come from?

I could be wrong but Star Trek including Beyond and Discovery to me seems to fit more with an older crowd. Something you grow into and become invested in. That in my mind and I'm sure to toy manufacturers too, doesn't sound like a brand that would sell toys by the masses in Toys R Us.

What I think we're looking at is a resurgence in interest in the brand and by no means am I saying this won't bring in new fans. Nor am I saying we won't see any merchandise. I just think the kind of merch we'll be seeing will be aimed at an older fan and collectors rather than action figures for kids with action features.

We're likely to see POP Vinyl figures, Titan Vinyls and a line of collectables from someone like QMx (if not QMx themselves).

As for DST... Well they need to get their arses in gear quite frankly and put some more money into their Star Trek line if they do aquire the rights to Star Trek: Discovery. If I were CBS looking at the work DST are doing on Star Trek right now I'd want to be reassured that the only reason the pickings are so slim and few and far between is due to DST having a 10 year old licence that only allows them to produce product based upon the older shows and that as a result, sales just simply don't justify DST pouring more resources into the line.

I'd want some kind of agreement that DST would in effect relaunch their Star Trek line with product from all of the shows including the new movies but starting with a line of product from Star Trek: Discovery releasing in 2017 with no delays or setbacks.

One thing of note however; With the start of ENTERPRISE back in 2001, playmates wrapped up production and a new line of Star Trek toys were produced by Art Asylum to match the type of demographics Star Trek was receiving. Who knows, a new company could be round the corner ready to begin a new line of Star Trek toys for collectors.

One things for certain though. It won't be Playmates, Mattel or Hasbro or any other mainstream toy company queing for the rights.

Star Trek appeals to us. The adults 30 plus and the young 20 somethings. Whilst I'd like to see DST take a more active approach on Star Trek, I can't really bring myself to care about yet another new big toy line from Playmates or whoever pushing toys with play features onto kids who couldn't care less.

It's DST for Discovery or someone else who's happy to produce electronic ships 😁

#10 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:43 AM

Anyone hear anything about DST taking the licence for Star Trek: Discovery?

I'm assuming that cbs would have arranged for someone to hold the licence for it, even if product was not forthcoming immediately as the show launches.

#11 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:40 AM

I really hope Playmates gets the license for this. They could use this as a way to resurrect and expand on their old line much like they have done with the reboot of TMNT. While I would love some DST figures they just don't seem to be able to get any out, no one wants to collect a line that releases one figure a year.

#12 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

I doubt playmates will risk another big line on Star Trek after their 2009 line failed. Especially when Discovery isn't likely to appeal to kids.

#13 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

I doubt playmates will risk another big line on Star Trek after their 2009 line failed. Especially when Discovery isn't likely to appeal to kids.

Well I wouldn't expect them to jump in right away. If it does well I could see them going for it after a couple of seasons. I expect and really hope that Discovery will appeal to kids as well as TNG did. The toy market has also shifted to allow more adult targeted toys than it did in the 90's, I can go to my local Target or TRU and buy Game of Thrones figures. So I think if TNG could do well in the 90's then Discovery (assuming the show does well unlike Abrams Trek) should have an even better chance.

#14 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

Beyond toys.

Kirk in survival suit on motorcycle. Sulu in Kelvin Pod. Swarm ship with battle damaged Spock and McCoy figures. Krall with interchangeable heads. Jayla with spring loaded weapons.

Would've been neat.

An Electronic Franklin would have been wonderful.  Thats the thing I tend not to collect figures only the ships so whoever can do a nice starship is what I want.

#15 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

I would have loved a Mega Bloks Star Trek Beyond line of playable sets - the Franklin could of easily featured a bridge interior and come with a motorcycle too!! A smaller set featuring Spock, McCoy and drone in a swarm ship would have been great, Scotty in a break apart torpedo with Jaylah and alien soldiers would have been a neat little set too and you could of done a big Yorktown base set or an Enterprise A set.

#16 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

Seen a guy who might know more than he lets on (see my latest starship collection thread post lol) say that Eaglemoss have the rights to a line of ships from Discovery. They'll be separate from the main collection, and will have their own unique artwork for the packaging. The reason I'm posting this here, is because it seems there's a chance they might have got the exclusive rights to that type of stuff.

#17 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:47 PM

Seen a guy who might know more than he lets on (see my latest starship collection thread post lol) say that Eaglemoss have the rights to a line of ships from Discovery. They'll be separate from the main collection, and will have their own unique artwork for the packaging. The reason I'm posting this here, is because it seems there's a chance they might have got the exclusive rights to that type of stuff.

I really hope they have a jumbo Discovery just sitting there ready to launch alongside the show, doesn't Ben know what it looks like? That has to mean something. 

#18 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:00 PM

Well I wouldn't expect them to jump in right away. If it does well I could see them going for it after a couple of seasons. I expect and really hope that Discovery will appeal to kids as well as TNG did. The toy market has also shifted to allow more adult targeted toys than it did in the 90's, I can go to my local Target or TRU and buy Game of Thrones figures. So I think if TNG could do well in the 90's then Discovery (assuming the show does well unlike Abrams Trek) should have an even better chance.

Playmates isn't Funko, who makes the GoT figures.

From what I see, Playmates toys are geared more towards kids than collectors, that isn't the case with Funko.

Funko has done some Trek stuff, so maybe they will get a license for Discovery to do figures. They definitely wouldn't be my first choice (NECA PLEASE), but it'd be better than waiting on DST to slowly push out products. 

#19 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:31 AM

Playmates isn't Funko, who makes the GoT figures.

From what I see, Playmates toys are geared more towards kids than collectors, that isn't the case with Funko.

Funko has done some Trek stuff, so maybe they will get a license for Discovery to do figures. They definitely wouldn't be my first choice (NECA PLEASE), but it'd be better than waiting on DST to slowly push out products. 

Yeah I would absolutely love to see NECA get a Star Trek license. I think Playmates and Funko are in somewhat similar positions. Funko's target is collectors but there's no doubt that some of their lines can appeal to kids as well. Playmates is targeting kids but they don't exactly leave the collectors out. With the current TMNT line for example they have re-releaed a large amount of the classic line of figures as well as making a pretty nice 6" collector line even if they didn't go too far with it. To me the only thing that would be better than NECA is a company that makes a very expansive line. I would be willing to sacrifice some quality for a large selection of characters. Funko has done a great job with the 3.75" lines and I would love to see that, I think Playmates is more likely to get a line and go with it for a while. Funko seems to do the base characters and move onto the next license.

#20 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

I was aware that Eaglemoss would be doing ships from Discovery but my assumption was that these would be incorporated into the Starships collection. I'd imagine that a Jumbo Discovery isn't out of the question but let's remember that Eaglemoss are a part-works company. I doubt they'd have the exclusive rights to do Discovery at the expense of a toy company like NECA or Mega Bloks.

My guess is that if DST have a licence to take on Discovery then it'll be revealed at either toy fair or SDCC this year and then we'll start seeing product in 2018. If nothing is said then chances are they've missed out on it in favour of another company.

If DST have missed out then chances are they're just running out their contract with CBS. I mean if you've been doing Trek toys for over a decade and you're not chosen to do the toys for the latest trek series then something isn't working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users