USS Enterprise A

• Please log in to reply
362 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:50 AM

True but where as you could see daylight through the DST Wrath of Khan Enterprise, you couldn't with the AA Enterprise A - I don't know if it was just a different plastic due to the pearlescent quality to the WoK Enterprise.

As for interior lighting then yes there was slight light bleed on the AA Enterprise A and I'm assuming the same will be for this next ship too (similar to the Enterprise E) but it is the issue of external light sources (room lighting, daylight etc..) that made the plastic translucent somewhat that was my big issue. 

#42 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

I'll ask the team to look into it.

#43 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

I think the best idea for a TWOK Enterprise would be to just issue it in the gray plastic that the Enterprise A will get. That's what the prototype was done in as well as the AA STIII Self Destruct Enterprise. Both of those looked far more attractive that the pearly plastic.

#44 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Coloured plastic with white paint would be superior for avoiding the light issue. It all needs to be the same base colour, or parts will show more then others.
Are you sure the original movie Enterprise didn't show light? The AA WOK ship sure did.

#45 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

The only place that the the Enterprise A bleeds from is the impulse crystal on the top of the saucer. The only draw back to the AA Enterprise A was the metallic paint around the deflector dish. It was a very well put together toy. The TWOK would have worked out if they hadn't overdone it with they pearly plastic. The only way pearlescence works is to be applied with paint. The slate gray that DST used for the Enterprise A prototype is simply amazing, though. I feel that if they just stick to that color, nice strongback decals and they take it easy on the detail, they will create an astounding specimen. Elegance through simplicity is the key here, I feel.

#46 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:48 AM

I am 100% totally sure that the Art Asylum 2003 release of the USS Enterprise A was not translucent and nor was it's Search for Spock battle damaged variant.

DST's later releases of the TWoK Enterprise have all been translucent allowing natural light to pass through the ship with ease, making the toy glow a yellow colour (even without holding it up to direct light sources).

The plastic Art Asylum used for theirs seemed a lot nicer,, especially noticeable on the pylons, it felt slightly stronger and thicker, almost a hard rubbery quality. 

The plastic DST used for the their Enterprise was different, the pylons were not so nice, the plastic just felt cheaper in comparison and again allowed natural light to pass through so I'm sure it was down to the quality of plastic used.

#47 captainwallis

captainwallis

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Greetings all,

Been in touch with DST on facebook and got a couple of interesting reply's back. I asked a few questions about the lights and sounds and paint scheme. Apparently with a bit of luck, the final paint job will look identical to the "mat white" photos at SDCC 2013. 

The mould will be exactly the same as the TWOK Enterprise, but exterior paint job will be like DST recent Enterprise B. Still no word however if it will be the same plastic material the Ent B/BOP has. Apart from that, that's about all I could get from them.

One thing I did ask was if it was going to fhave a "lights on" feature. The reply I got back was "No. I don't believe so".

Not really much new, but I thought I would let everyone know who's interested in this ship like I am.

#48 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

awesome and welcome to the forum!

Fingers crossed this ship is going to be as good as the B and BoP

#49 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

Obviously, the paint master that was on display reflects what we want the final ship to look like. We weren't going to spend all that money to paint it and then have the factory do something else.

But whether it will look EXACTLY like that, possibly not, because it will be cast in the correct color and not painted all over, and the factory may have limitations as far as cost and reproducibility. But that is more or less what we expect it to look like.

What I do know is that it will not be cast in the same pearlescent material as the TWoK Enterprise, so hopefully the light bleed will be minimal.

The wiring is the same as other versions of this ship, and the original did not have lights-on, so this one will not, either. It will, however, have different dialogue and sound effects, I'm told.

I'm glad you found these guys, Wallis, something tells me you'll get along famously. Plus, you'll be among your countrymen!

#50 captainwallis

captainwallis

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

Thanks. Been following this forum for years and never thought about joining till now. Cheers for the reply Zach. Im glad the ship wont be cast in the twok plastic. Thats very good to hear. Im also glad its going to have new sound effects.

I also hope the leds will get an upgrade too, so there more in line with the current dst enterprise b and bop.

Really looking forward to this one. I have both aa enterprise aand twok enterprise, although I didnt like the paint job of the aa enterprise a. The twok enterprise had the fine details, but had horrid light bleed. Hopefully tbis time u guys will nail it.

Again thanks for the reply.

#51 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

Years? Me too.

#52 captainwallis

captainwallis

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:03 AM

Years? Me too.

lol, yeah a couple at least. This forums awesome for my Trek collecting mayhem. Half the time I'll check here before I purchase something. Example, Im glad I checked here before I brought the twok re issue. If it still had light bleed and the translucent platic (which it did), I wasnt going to get it as I own the original.

Really looking forward to the A though. Tis my all time favourite design, and to have a more detailed rendition of her is too good to miss. :)

#53 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:37 AM

What I do know is that it will not be cast in the same pearlescent material as the TWoK Enterprise, so hopefully the light bleed will be minimal.

So with new plastic being used, is it the same awesome stuff used to do the BoP and the Enterprise B and also will you then go back and do a battle damaged variant based on the Search for Spock Enterprise so that finally we have a movie 1701 (without the A) that doesn't bleed light or becomes translucent in daylight?

#54 captainwallis

captainwallis

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:56 AM

So with new plastic being used, is it the same awesome stuff used to do the BoP and the Enterprise B and also will you then go back and do a battle damaged variant based on the Search for Spock Enterprise so that finally we have a movie 1701 (without the A) that doesn't bleed light or becomes translucent in daylight?

I agree with this. Im really hoping its the new plastic used for the Enterprise B. Ive read alot of reviews saying its alot more sturdy and dosnt feel like cheap plastic. Also a new 1701 variant would be another excuse to buy another connie.

#55 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

I agree with this. Im really hoping its the new plastic used for the Enterprise B. Ive read alot of reviews saying its alot more sturdy and dosnt feel like cheap plastic. Also a new 1701 variant would be another excuse to buy another connie.

The Enterprise B in terms of plastic quality is the best federation ship released so far from DST. The best ship all round goes to the Bird of Prey, truly truly stunning, if every ship came out looking like that DST would have my money for life. Screw the Action figures, pump all that money into making the ships - that's where the money is.

#56 captainwallis

captainwallis

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:21 AM

The Enterprise B in terms of plastic quality is the best federation ship released so far from DST. The best ship all round goes to the Bird of Prey, truly truly stunning, if every ship came out looking like that DST would have my money for life. Screw the Action figures, pump all that money into making the ships - that's where the money is.

Again I agree. Im a massive ship geek. Funily enough, a friend if mine is going birmingham today and ive given him £60 and said to get me the bird of prey if he see's one. So want to get my hands on its wings. L

#57 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

If you've got a Model Zone near your neck of the woods it's selling for £49.99 as they've gone into administration and closing all the stores. I think it was £69.99 in Forbidden Planet.

#58 captainwallis

captainwallis

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

If you've got a Model Zone near your neck of the woods it's selling for £49.99 as they've gone into administration and closing all the stores. I think it was £69.99 in Forbidden Planet.

NOOO! Too late. Was £64.99, but my lord it was worth every penny. The lights are awesome and the quality is by far the best I've seen to date. Now all I need is it standing next to the A. 

#59 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

Zach, do you know if its possible for the Enterprise A to come with the new Enterprise B/Excelsior stand? Its just a far superior stand and has a better connection to the ship and would allow you to get rid of the extra play cover meaning less plastic (unless tooling a new battery cover for a new stand is more expensive).

#60 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Tooling is always more expensive, so I can't imagine we'd do that.

And if we did a battle damaged TWoK 1701, then I imagine it would be the same plastic as the regular TWoK 1701, but Ask DST.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users