46 replies to this topic

#21 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:07 PM

That was a God aweful shriek biggrin.gif

What was the explanation behind the breaking up of Neelix & Kes? I believe the trouble started in Warlord...but then they didn't really seem to get back together after that.

#22 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:15 PM

I don't remember any solid explanation being given. She probably just outgrew him. He was jealous and controlling and she was only around two years old when they first got together.

#23 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:36 PM

the breakup started in warlord where the other spirit broke up with neelix. In subsequent episodes she found other love interests while they were on a split. I think it was either a throwaway scene or maybe even an implied scene within the next few episodes (from warlod) where the two officially split. I never really had a connection to Kes (same with Neelix but as the series progressed I really began to like neelix and hated it when he left the ship) but I really disliked how they broke Neelix and Kes up. After all the love triangle stuff with Kes/Paris/Neelix I thought it warranted a bigger storyline. It seemed like the writiers didnt want to acknowledge the two being together and just let it fade. I dont know if a big blowup could have worked being the small nature of the ship...but who knows. I guess there were bigger fish to fry at the time.

#24 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:00 PM

^There was a scene filmed, but ultimately cut. Ethan Philips talks about it on one of the DVD extras (sorry, forgot which one unsure.gif ). And yes, the writers did let it die because they didn't really feel like Neelix and Kes were working as a couple...it was sort of a "old creap with too young of a girl" scenario, and they didn't really know how to resolve it. The scene in "The Gift" was about as close as they ever got to getting their relationship right...which is sad that it was more or less their last one (there's still more to the scene in "Fury" that I want one of the Trek authors to FINALLY explore. *grrrr*)

#25 kodiak8658

kodiak8658

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE(LwaxanaLover @ Mar 13 2007, 12:26 AM) View Post
I haven't watched much Voyager as I refuse to pay $100.00 a season but I do have a question I would love to know the answer to. When Voyager first came out I remember reading somewhere that Kes was an Ocampa and they only live like 7 years. I know Kes left the show, did she die? If so I may have to buy that season. Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this for me. LL

Paid $300 on eBay for the entire Voyager series. It is the Chinese version, but all discs play perfectly even though the packaging is cheap.

STAY AWAY from the Chinese version of DS9, as I had nothing but trouble with three different sets. Had to eventually get a refund and pay another $300 for the US version. All is well now and I LOVE both!

#26 kodiak8658

kodiak8658

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE(Wildcard @ Apr 12 2007, 07:08 PM) View Post
^Monotone? huh.gif I thought Jennifer Lien had one of the best delieverance voices on the show. There was a lot of passion and sincerity to her words. Granted she usually got a lot of lines that were what I call "quickfire" (i.e. "Captain, I can't find the Doctor's program anywhere. Can you send an someone down to look for him? I'm afraid we've lost him.") so there's not a whole lot you can do other than sound urgent. But I liked her. She had a delicacy about her and she knew how to work the camera for closeups....believe it or not that's actually a hard thing to do. Whoopi Goldburg is another actress who knows how to do that really well.

Both myself and my wife did radio voice overs. That's how we met. Non-inflection of the voice is like needles on a chalkboard to both of us. JMO so don't get upset.

As far as Whoopi, if you can get past her urban, non-space look, more power to ya. smile.gif I think her previous movie roles didn't help lend credibility to her Trek character. Have you ever seen Rat Race? OYE!

#27 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:08 PM

^Yes, I've seen Rat Race. laugh.gif But remember that it came after TNG. And I can see from a Radio point of view how Jennifer would come across as monotone, but from a stage perspective, I dont' share your view. (And no offense, but from my standpoint most of the radio "personalities" down here are like nails on a chalk board to me.....over acting, LOUD, and waaaaaay too animated) . wink.gif

#28 kodiak8658

kodiak8658

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE(Wildcard @ Apr 14 2007, 07:08 PM) View Post
^Yes, I've seen Rat Race. laugh.gif But remember that it came after TNG. And I can see from a Radio point of view how Jennifer would come across as monotone, but from a stage perspective, I dont' share your view. (And no offense, but from my standpoint most of the radio "personalities" down here are like nails on a chalk board to me.....over acting, LOUD, and waaaaaay too animated) . wink.gif

Where are you? I'm in Central Florida smile.gif ...that's pretty down there as geography, economics, employment and pay is concerned. sad.gif

But we do have the sun! smile.gif Unfortunately you can't go outside for risk of skin cancer. sad.gif

#29 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:26 PM

^Not too far from you. Southeast Georgia. About an hour north of Jacksonville.

#30 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(Wildcard @ Apr 15 2007, 09:08 AM) View Post
most of the radio "personalities" down here are like nails on a chalk board to me.....over acting, LOUD, and waaaaaay too animated) . wink.gif

Indeed.

Had I the choice of listening to Jennifer Lien or people who do voice overs on the radio, I'd take Lien in a second!!! biggrin.gif But I can see what Kodiak is saying.

Whilst I did think Jennifer did a great job...it did sometimes feel like she wasn't fully believing what was happening.

How would you pronounce her last name anyway? I don't even know if I spell it correctly! (Lein or Lien?)

Lee-Ann, Leen, Ly-an....

#31 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Apr 16 2007, 06:49 PM) View Post
How would you pronounce her last name anyway? I don't even know if I spell it correctly! (Lein or Lien?)

Lee-Ann, Leen, Ly-an....

Oh Art... with your weird accent you'll pronounce it wrong no matter what!!! wink.gif

I hope you know, Sammy, I am only playin' with ya. Aussie accents are super sexy! tongue.gif

#32 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:56 PM

^^It's spelled "Lien" and pronounced "Leen". And don't feel bad, for years I pronounced it "Lee-en", but on the DVD interviews they all pronounce it like "lean."

#33 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE(Wildcard @ Apr 18 2007, 04:56 AM) View Post
but on the DVD interviews they all pronounce it like "lean."

Oooohhhh...DVD interviews!!

So have to get me some DVD boxed sets!

They have been playing a lot of interviews from Voyager on the Aussie Sci-Fi channel of late...& it is very nice to see all the people out of uniform & talking about the show. I didn't think I ever liked Tim Russ....but all of a sudden I do. He seems very intelligent, well spoken &...well...he's actually pretty good looking! biggrin.gif

Though I was thinking to myself that Russ is one of the only actors in Trek that I probably would not fully recongise on the street. Which I know, is just odd...perhaps I didn't pay enough attention to him on the show.

QUOTE(Chalksquared @ Apr 17 2007, 09:10 AM) View Post
I hope you know, Sammy, I am only playin' with ya. tongue.gif

That won't stop me from body slammin' you if we ever meet biggrin.gif

#34 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Apr 17 2007, 08:51 PM) View Post
That won't stop me from body slammin' you if we ever meet biggrin.gif

Oh... I just realized what you meant by that. dry.gif
It was more fun when I was imagining it my way!

#35 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(Chalksquared @ May 15 2007, 01:41 AM) View Post
Oh... I just realized what you meant by that. dry.gif
It was more fun when I was imagining it my way!

laugh.gif Chalkman!!

I was quite surprised seeing the movie American History X yesterday & finding our own Jennifer Lein had a main starring role!

I barely recognised her at first. She looks really good with her more natural appearance.

Also surprised to watch a little further & notice Avery Brooks was also a star in this movie!

They did a very good job. Proof that Trek actors need to be able to do what they do best...act! serious & heart felt acting.
We saw so little of it in Trek with the "Trek' way of speaking & acting.

Horrifying movie...superbly cast (all round).

#36 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:06 PM

^Actually I disagree with you on some points. I think it's actually more challenging for actors to act in the Trek realm because of the context. There's a lot more non-verbal communication that has to happen with the eyes, body language, and facial expressions. Whoopi Goldberg is a master at this as she's constantly working for the camera. Some of the other actors in Trek do an excellent job of this as well...Kate Mulgrew, Nana Visitor, and Patrick Stewart being three masters IMHO.

However I will agree with you that seeing Trek actors in other venues does make you appreciate them and their skills more.

#37 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE(Wildcard @ Jun 12 2007, 02:06 PM) View Post
Whoopi Goldberg is a master at this ...

You are now my new best friend. laugh.gif

#38 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(Wildcard @ Jun 13 2007, 05:06 AM) View Post
There's a lot more non-verbal communication that has to happen with the eyes, body language, and facial expressions.

And so are the days of our lives.... laugh.gif

Every time I think of acting without dialogue...my mind turns to the gutter (soaps!!)

I definately agree about our friend Whoopie....a big part of the reason I thought Guinan was such an awesome character was her non vocal abilities.

#39 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:27 PM

^laugh.gif LOL...well, actually a lot of soap actors are really good theatre/stage actors...it's the camera work that makes them look soooo cheezy.

And Sam, I find it VERY hard to believe that your mind EVER turns to the gutter.

tongue.gif wink.gif

#40 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:19 PM

I never cared much for Whoopi Goldberg before TNG cast her as Guinan. I do like the character of Guinan and think Whoopi did an outstanding job of portraying her. I dont think ive seen Whoopi is anything since TNG because her usual fare isnt my cup of tea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users