Cool! I love these!

#23 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE (Quadrotritacale @ Jul 22 2011, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never thought I'd say this about a Borg (action figure or otherwise), but that Borg is adorable. laugh.gif

He totally is...& so is Picard! laugh.gif

#24 Skot

Skot

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

i think their outfits are just a bit puffy. maybe they will make them a tad tighter in final production.

#25 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:46 PM

This is absolutely shocking to me. I never bought into this line but the Borg does look cool. I was at first very outraged that DST would do this being that the 7" line is dead, but after reading the rationale of EMCE taking the risk it has settled me down. Whereas other companies are basically shelving this type of product its good to see Trek is expanding.

#26 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

I think these are in a different ball park to the 7 inch figures. These are by and large a collectable line of retro action figures appealing to a certain audience. The 7 inch figures should have appealed to a larger audience but failed to do so because quality and attention to detail slowly went down the pooper!

I love these but something tells me these will be the only two in the series... I hope I'm wrong because although I'd only get these two, an extensive TNG retro line would be cool! I just don't think there's a big enough market for the kind of product DST does. I'm holding out for efx or Qmx to release replicas from WoK and TNG rather than spending less on a toy.

#27 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:29 AM

I hope your wrong 1701 about this being the only two TNG figures EMCE will make, but i also wonder how well the line will sell. I think these two will sell pretty well, and i believe DST will stick with selling in pairs in order to not have lots of peg warmers. If EMCE and DST can come up with a strong figure for each pair of figures they release, it may allow us to get some weaker selling characters as well. If EMCE does the Crew/Alien strategy again, we may get a Gowron, Q, Ferengi, Cardassian, Romulan, Lore or any of the many other aliens featured in TNG. We shall see......

#28 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

Here are some ideas...& just for fun, as I said I won't get my hopes up till people have the Retro's TNG's on their shelf.

Picard & Borg
Riker & Klingon
Data & Borg Queen
Beverly & Gowron
Troi & Romulan
Geordi & Cardassian
Worf & K'Ehlyr
Tasha & Armus
Wesley & Lore

And a special 3-pack of Picard, Bev & Data from 'The Big Goodbye'

biggrin.gif Mwah!

#29 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

Does anyone know what that Borg is called? I mean, is it labelled as just a generic Borg? I think it looks like "Hugh" because of the eyepiece, since not every Borg has the exact same eyepiece.

#30 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (Quadrotritacale @ Jul 25 2011, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know what that Borg is called? I mean, is it labelled as just a generic Borg? I think it looks like "Hugh" because of the eyepiece, since not every Borg has the exact same eyepiece.

From the limited amount of info released so far, it has just been called "Borg", and i would be willing to bet that it will be a "generic" Borg since it would be cheaper than having to pay someone to use their likeness, when generic aliens are what Mego typically used and EMCE has been trying to stay close to the Mego concept.

#31 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

I think if DST do them well and by that I mean an improvement in quality, no painted heads, getting this retro line back to the fantastic TOS series 1 (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Romulan, Klingon, Andorian) then I think they should go for it. I'd be happy to see ONE QUALITY series rather than DST milking it like they have done with TOS - regardless of people wanting more, I've gotta say, Less is usually better when it comes to DST, they seem to get worse as a line goes on so I think the old adage of "less is more" is quite fitting. I only ever bothered to pick up the first 6 TOS figures because that's their best line - the rest are not as good.

I vote for:

Picard
Data
Worf
Judge Q
TNG Borg
TNG Romulan

That's a nice 6 figure series that basically sums up TNG, just like the first 6 TOS retro figures summed up TOS nicely.

#32 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (1701 @ Jul 26 2011, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think if DST do them well and by that I mean an improvement in quality, no painted heads, getting this retro line back to the fantastic TOS series 1 (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Romulan, Klingon, Andorian) then I think they should go for it. I'd be happy to see ONE QUALITY series rather than DST milking it like they have done with TOS - regardless of people wanting more, I've gotta say, Less is usually better when it comes to DST, they seem to get worse as a line goes on so I think the old adage of "less is more" is quite fitting. I only ever bothered to pick up the first 6 TOS figures because that's their best line - the rest are not as good.

I vote for:

Picard
Data
Worf
Judge Q
TNG Borg
TNG Romulan

That's a nice 6 figure series that basically sums up TNG, just like the first 6 TOS retro figures summed up TOS nicely.

Could not disagree more, where are the other 4 caracters that make at least the main 7 caracters that were on the show for (most) of the 7 year run? no Troi or Crusher?

I would prefer them to at least trow in some odd caracters like Guinan, Yar, Pulaski and other caracters they did not produce as a 8"figure (with a good head scuplt the costumiseres might even convert it to a standard figure size.

Also more is less??? what do you base this one? especially since its EMC making the figures not DST? the new salt vampire/ Gorn / Khan are great new figures released in the last part of the line?

#33 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

Well even if they just call it a generic Borg, it could still be Hugh. After all, DST's Romulan was clearly modeled after the actor who played the Romulan scope operator, even though it was just called "Romulan". The facial resemblance was obvious.

#34 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (data_2006 @ Jul 26 2011, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could not disagree more, where are the other 4 caracters that make at least the main 7 caracters that were on the show for (most) of the 7 year run? no Troi or Crusher?

While I agree with you, the characters 1701 selected were more believeable.

Picard, Data & Worf are the most likely characters to see.

Riker, Troi & Geordi have ok chances I guess but I doubt they are high on the list.

Unfortunately for Gates fans, no toy company has ever chosen Crusher over Troi, Bev would be last made as always.

#35 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

I know the feeling!

Just like nurse sad.gif she's pretty much last on the list... if at all!

#36 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:17 AM

Hey Gothneo, just out of curiosity (and slightly of topic), as a fan of Nurse Chapel, did you like her better as a blonde or brunette? I was watching "Turnabout Intruder" recently and thought she looked AMAZING as a brunette in it...better than she'd ever looked in any other episode. To (I guess) sorta get this back on topic...I know she'll most likely be blonde if and when a Nurse Chapel figure is released, but I'd like to see a brunette one!

#37 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (Quadrotritacale @ Jul 27 2011, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Gothneo, just out of curiosity (and slightly of topic), as a fan of Nurse Chapel, did you like her better as a blonde or brunette? I was watching "Turnabout Intruder" recently and thought she looked AMAZING as a brunette in it...better than she'd ever looked in any other episode. To (I guess) sorta get this back on topic...I know she'll most likely be blonde if and when a Nurse Chapel figure is released, but I'd like to see a brunette one!

I actually liked her best as #1! so brunette it is!

#38 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:25 PM

The Retro Borg look like nearly an exact duplicate of Steve Kelly's Mego Borg aside from some placement of parts.

#39 RLF1982

RLF1982

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

I am quickly becoming obsessed with the pictures of these figures from Comic Con. I'm actually daydreaming of the possibilites of this line. My biggest concern is that the Borg figure doesn't differ too much from the prototype as a production figure. I really like it just the way that it looks now. The appeal (for me anyway) is in the fact that this figure really does capture the look of the old school TNG borg, I love that this is clearly not a Borg from the CGI First Contact era. It also helps that I just finished watching Season 2 of TNG again for the first time in a long while so I am really feeling the original look of the Borg. Hopefully this line takes off and DST can finally release a figure of Troi in the blue dress.

#40 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (RLF1982 @ Aug 6 2011, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully this line takes off and DST can finally release a figure of Troi in the blue dress.

Glad I'm not the only one that liked that look!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users