Photo

what will you do If/When DST ends the current Line?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:45 PM

Hey all,

Well I for one will just continue with customizing. I now have Playmates old & new, DST and minimates to play around with. I'm way behind as it is.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#22 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:02 PM

Since DST started teasing us with products that they never ended up releasing I've just given up on collecting Trek. I have returned to my old passion from my youth of collecting music CDs. If DST somehow releases Chapel and Rand I will buy them but it seems less and less likely that they will. I have no interest in collecting tiny 3 3/4'' figures. My collection of DST TOS/TNG/DS9/TWOK will still remain on display though smile.gif

#23 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:21 PM

I've been spending my time with alot of you for other six years now, on this board and 3 AA boards (2 as myself, the last one under a my alias, Lord Garth) I will probaly hold on to what I have, as I only collect DST/AA. I got very frustrated over there never being a chance of ever having a Quark made. So much I sold all of my 24th century stuff this summer.

#24 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:19 PM

I hear that man! I WANT QUARK! lol I love Ferengies!

I for one will be just fine, and enjoying all the excellent quality MOTUC that are coming out! smile.gif
I never thougth the TNG series were as good as what AA did with the classic crew.
Sure some of them are just fine. And some are just so so. Hardly any of the combadges on these figures look the same and the first two waves of figures had the pip juuuuust barley painted on where you could see them.

I was always upset that none of the comic stores where Im from carry the Star Trek stuff over the last 3 or 4 years. And Toys R US here hardly carries any of the stuff you guys find at your stores. I am kind of sad we wont get any Voyager stuff. TNG and Voyager were some of my favs.

#25 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

Agreed. None of TNG or DS9 stuff was up to par with what AA did with Enterprise, Nemesis,Borg Assimilation or TOS! It sucks that sales of TNG figures were judged against those far superior figures from the old AA. Let's be honest, none of what's being done now can even come close to what Digger and the old gang gave us. Its a shame the original artists didn't get to do TWOK,TNG, DS9,VOY are some waves of Aliens that we have all been dying to see(I'm really lamenting the fact we'll not be getting that Salt Vampire yet again!) We'll probably never see that work ethic again. Nevertheless, at the risk of sounding like a broken record I say bring on some 3 3/4" Star Trek figures!

#26 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

In fairness to DST, i think they did some good work on TNG, especially in the earliest waves, those Worf figures were great. By the time they got to Wave 3, quality was out the door, along with creativity. DS9 had Odo, which was an outstanding figure, all new, not just a head swap and showed what they can do when they try. The TVH Spock was another example like the Odo, a really nicely detailed figure, not just another headswap. The Enterprise figures were great, too bad the show never really caught on and all that time and effort was not devoted to TOS to give us a great TOS set to start with that might have set the whole AA toyline in another direction, possibly.

#27 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:12 PM

I disagree about AA doing better figures than DST. The old AA stuff had washed out paint jobs that did not hold up to the test of time. I was also extremly happy that the 24th century figures got rid of those God aweful rubber shirts. While AA did some really nice figures I don't think anything they did can hold a candle to Worf, Riker, Odo, Ro, Ogawa, Martok and Gowron.

#28 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

Scale Issues aside w/Picard, The first couple of waves of TNG were good IMO. Its all been discussed before. AA (as well as DST) certainly has had it's hits and misses. ENT Away Team... Brilliant! But, the Broken Bow... not so brilliant. Borg Assimilation... Incredible, Nemesis... not so good. Then we got three TOS waves, that were mixed in execution. Do I enjoy them all? sure!! But I hold no illusions that AA or DST have been perfect in all their offerings.

For that reason, I'll be a bit sad when DST finally gives up the Star Trek license and no longer makes them, but I think I'll continue to enjoy them for years... I really think that this may be the last time we see any such action figures of 24th century Trek. I just don't see a market w/o any media tie-in. So I'm going to continue to enjoy them, even if I never get a Quark, Jake, Nog or Rom!

EDIT: VF & JMW! You guys beat me to it! I take too long to type!

#29 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:40 PM

TNG wave 1 = best of the bunch, but ugh the scale issue

TNG wave 2 = what was up with Picard's crotch? Ever try to seat Troi?

TNG wave 3 = Data's wonky legs last through the TMP release, few accesories, and bad paint

TNG wave 4 = very uninspired, and of course Wesley's melon head. Probably the worst figure in the whole line IMO.

TNG wave 5 = ????, sigh if you could only get the movie Crusher alone. No it came with alot headswaps.

#30 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

All valid points Sybeck1, but all points that can be equally made about AA's efforts.

#31 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (Sybeck1 @ Dec 16 2009, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TNG wave 5 = ????, sigh if you could only get the movie Crusher alone. No it came with alot headswaps.

Granted the O'Brien head swap was wonky and lame...but I think the Ro sculpt...even if it's just her head that's new...was pretty spectacular. Way better than the pics I've seen of their Cain sculpt from BSG (which I find odd being the same actress and all) and though I miss some other characters I am thrilled that they did Ogawa. I always wondered why she never made it into the playmates line with all the variety they had. As far as the other TNG waves...I thought they were great and I love them all...I just want TONS more. Yar, Sela, Guinan, Pulaski, Seaosn 1-2 versions of EVERYONE not to mention a whole mess of Klingons from Duras and K'Mpeck to Lursa and B'Etor. But yeah...SO not happening. And yet I still hope it will somehow...

#32 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE (weyoun_9 @ Dec 17 2009, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Granted the O'Brien head swap was wonky and lame...but I think the Ro sculpt...even if it's just her head that's new...was pretty spectacular. Way better than the pics I've seen of their Cain sculpt from BSG (which I find odd being the same actress and all) and though I miss some other characters I am thrilled that they did Ogawa. I always wondered why she never made it into the playmates line with all the variety they had. As far as the other TNG waves...I thought they were great and I love them all...I just want TONS more. Yar, Sela, Guinan, Pulaski, Seaosn 1-2 versions of EVERYONE not to mention a whole mess of Klingons from Duras and K'Mpeck to Lursa and B'Etor. But yeah...SO not happening. And yet I still hope it will somehow...

There was a K'Mpeck figure in the old Playmates line???? Since when?

#33 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE (weyoun_9 @ Dec 17 2009, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Commodore Kor'Tar @ Dec 17 2009, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was a K'Mpeck figure in the old Playmates line???? Since when?

I think Weyoun was just saying that he wanted a K'Mpeck figure, not that one was produced, which was not in this prime universe timeline anyway. Maybe in Abrams universe there was though....

#34 Sgt. Stinky

Sgt. Stinky

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Friends and especially Family

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:03 AM

I will greatly miss these figures. Star Trek is and has been one of my great loves. Whenever I was down on life or myself Trek has pulled me out of it. These figures have been awesome. There are some holes I need to fill, which I eventually will, but I will always lament the things we were shown and didn't get. I think even if NECA or Mcfarlane got the license the issues would be exactly the same. Mcfarlane is trying to stay a float as it is w/ the lines they have. Sadly, even w/ the success of the movie, Star Trek is not what it once was and I fear will never be again. Maybe if it had a hit video game the kids would be into it, since that's all they seem to care about these days. I have moved on to DCUC and Marvel. If Trek continues to live w/ DST then I'll be right there waiting. The ride has been fun.

#35 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Dec 17 2009, 05:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Weyoun was just saying that he wanted a K'Mpeck figure, not that one was produced, which was not in this prime universe timeline anyway. Maybe in Abrams universe there was though....

Yeah...sorry...that list was meant to be a hypothetical wish list for DST. Didn't mean to confuse.

#36 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

If the DST Line ends...that means I am out of a job on the NFC Site hehe! No, ummm if they do stop the line I will be able to get everything backtracked and updated. As a collector I would be pretty upset, I love the line they have going, and honestly I don't think we'll have any new Trek toys that will even compare to what DST has done. I think that if another toy company picks up the line, we will have to start COMPLETELY over again, in another scale most likely.

I just dont think it is a wise idea personally, I think we gripe about them now, but if DST loses the license we will be upset to see them go.

#37 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (weyoun_9 @ Dec 17 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah...sorry...that list was meant to be a hypothetical wish list for DST. Didn't mean to confuse.

Ahh ok , I just went and re-read your post above and I see it now . Some how my eyes passed right over it last night lol

#38 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (weyoun_9 @ Dec 17 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Granted the O'Brien head swap was wonky and lame...but I think the Ro sculpt...even if it's just her head that's new...was pretty spectacular. Way better than the pics I've seen of their Cain sculpt from BSG (which I find odd being the same actress and all) and though I miss some other characters I am thrilled that they did Ogawa.

The DST Cain head sculpt looked pretty damn awesome to me. God knows how the final figure will look though.

And I very much agree, when DST got the body re-use right, it did look excellent...as was the case with Ro & Jadzia. Then you look at TNG5 O'Brien & Ogawa, along with DS9 2 Sisko, Kira & Bashir & one has to wonder how it was ultimately decided to go with the worst bodies for the actors general heights & physiques. They often only had 2 bodies to choose from, so to choose the wrong one was just bizarre.

Now ofcourse when you say something like that, people forget all the great things you've said in the past about DST's Trek line, so I'd best do that too to save folks getting annoyed & listing me as a complainer:

DST's awesomeness:
*Worf/Riker wave
*Gowron & Martok
*Odo
*Beverly & Troi's bodies (Troi's only when used on Troi herself)
*Classic Aliens
*TWOK
*Retro

Those who didn't work out soo well but are extremely appreciated anyway:
*Ogawa
*Colonel Kira
*Ezri Dax
*Nemesis women
*TNG O'Brien

And ofcourse those that didn't make it, but DST tried dammit!:
*Sisko with Chair
*Classic Movie Klingons
*Borg Wave
*Possibly Chapel & Rand

So, for any problems I may have had with the DST Trek line...I thank whatever Gods are out there that they got the license & will hopefully have it for a while longer - just till I get my 6" & Retro Nurse Chapel figures atleast! biggrin.gif

#39 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

I've been trying to give this some thought, especially since the line does appear to be nearing its end...

I think I'll probably sell some of the duplicates, package up some of the figures, and keep a smaller display out of just the TOS and TNG core cast.

#40 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:52 PM

I think that I would give up figuring collecting. Fill any and all gaps from the current stuff I have and just collect older more rare items.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users