• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 02:17 PM

I'm a sucker for movies in the sci-fi genre... so I went to see Ad Astra today.

I thought this was a fantastic sci-fi movie... its a drama... in the likeness of Solaris, 2001:A Space Odyssey or maybe even a bit of Contact, so don't expect lots of space fights and action, though there is some... and some of the physics obviously don't seem to play... so I decided not to over analyze it... but there really isn't a ton of egregious re working of the laws of gravity (unlike the movie Gravity!)

Pit's character was really well developed, his acting was on parr and I really was able to connect with the character.

I give it a thumbs up and recommend it to anyone that like that style of sci-fi.

Odysse

#2 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:20 PM

I'm gonna go see it this week. Not usually a fan of Pitt's acting: he always comes across as Aldo Raine no matter what movie he's in, and he tries to seem older and sound older & it just never works. But, the trailers are intriguing and they don't spoil the whole plot, which is a rarity these days.

#3 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:02 PM

I can see what you mean about Pitt... and sometimes its just that expression he does... I don't think he's going to win any awards for his performance here... but I thought he pulled off being able to make me connect and care about the character, which may be more of a testament to good writing than his ability. 

#4 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 04:58 AM

Just saw it last night. Garbage. Pretty looking garbage.

Can anyone explain how and why Tommy Lee Jones was doing what he was doing?

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:38 AM

Spoiler

#6 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

Apologies for the rant, but I was really dumbfounded by this film - in a bad way:

Spoiler

This video pretty much nails my feelings on it in a much more coherent and calm way than I can express - beware, spoilers:

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:40 PM

Apologies for the rant, but I was really dumbfounded by this film - in a bad way:

I got that... I don't mind ranting... All I can do is try and answer your questions as I understood them. I can take a stab at your others... but can't promise they will be satisfying... or correct!

Spoiler

To the review posted? Yep... I admitted some of the physics didn't play right... maybe it would have been more correct to say a lot of the physic didn't play right, which is what that reviewer points out...

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users