• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:09 AM

Ok, so after all these simple "Kit Bash" customs, it's time for a real custom... top to bottom... and a new character for my shelf!

I still have some detail work left to do on this guy, so technically this is a sneak-peak WIP...

But Here's your first look at my Vice Admiral Dougherty from Insurrection.

The basic recipe is as follows...

Nemesis Picard Legs
Sisko Torso
Heroes "Mr. Linderman" (exploded) head and hands.
Use of rubber "tubing" for the extended admirals jacket.

Lots of Epoxy sculpt!

I really picked up the Linderman to do another custom, but realized that I could use the secondary head for a Dougherty custom and decided to do that one 1st to practice with it... I think he came out pretty nice!

I need to clean up the torso with some flat black, do the gold striping and finish off the rank pips, but other wise he's done!

Comments? Feedback?

#2 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:47 AM

Looks pretty good!

#3 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:22 PM

That's pretty awesome!Now just build a body sclupting chair and make a stretched face variant! wink.gif

#4 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

Nice Job! Looks really good! I really like the belt you did!

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Commodore Kor'Tar @ Jan 2 2010, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now just build a body sclupting chair and make a stretched face variant! wink.gif

Ha! Thanks guys!

I actually thought about making it something like that! Because... well take a look at the original base head that I started with and you'll understand!

#6 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

Wow! They did most the work for you already! LOL!

#7 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

pretty cool stuff...ive been looking for a while to find a suitable head. great job!!

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE (Commodore Kor'Tar @ Jan 3 2010, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow! They did most the work for you already! LOL!

Yeah it's a nice fit, but I did add quit a bit of Sculpting compound to the head... "Fattened" up the cheeks just a bit, as well as I had to completly sculpt the neck as the head was one of those types where it popped on to the neck of the figure I stole it from. Finally, I had to fill a hole in the back of the head! Well... you can see from this picture!

Then I re-painted the entire head...

#9 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

Very nice! Excellent use of that extra head!

Sallah

#10 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jan 4 2010, 05:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah it's a nice fit, but I did add quit a bit of Sculpting compound to the head... "Fattened" up the cheeks just a bit, as well as I had to completly sculpt the neck as the head was one of those types where it popped on to the neck of the figure I stole it from. Finally, I had to fill a hole in the back of the head! Well... you can see from this picture!

Then I re-painted the entire head...

Hey Gothneo,

What did you use to sculpt the cheeks and neck? How was blending the new material with the head? I'm working on a Garak custom using Data as a base and can't seems to blend in the Cardassian parts so there is always a visible seam where the two meet. It was okay on the Winn custom I did because it was only on nose, but it

#11 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:19 AM

Very cool. I know most everyone hates "Insurrection", but I actually quite like it. He looks a little surprised in your picture.. maybe he just found out he was betrayed. biggrin.gif

#12 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (Andy @ Jan 5 2010, 04:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Gothneo,

What did you use to sculpt the cheeks and neck? How was blending the new material with the head? I'm working on a Garak custom using Data as a base and can't seems to blend in the Cardassian parts so there is always a visible seam where the two meet. It was okay on the Winn custom I did because it was only on nose, but it

#13 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:29 PM

Excellent work Gothneo!

#14 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

Hey Gothneo! Thanks for the link and replying - I'll have to give it a try - I'm finally starting to see what people complain about with Sculpey cracking - not a good thing! Keep up the great work on Dougherty - he's looking great! smile.gif

#15 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:37 AM

Yeah, I've used sculpty in the past and it's easier to work with then the Epoxy based compound for some things, but it's just not durable.

Here's a head I've been working on with the Aves Apoxy Sculpt... you can see there are no seams where I resuclpted the head and cheeks...

There's some extra "Gunk" I got in one eye, but It'll clean up with a dental pick!

The thing about Apoxy sculpt is you need more patience... often I find I have to plan to do small changes on the sculpt and each takes up to a day to set,

Maybe someone can guess what custom Star Trek Figure this head will be used for eventually wink.gif

#16 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jan 2 2010, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, when did Dr Soran join Starfleet?

#17 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Jan 12 2010, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, when did Dr Soran join Starfleet?

That's funny, because I bought an extra Linderman to make Soran. Well, that is once I feel that I could add a neck and paint it well enough. Yeah, it'll be a long time. laugh.gif Actually, I didn't realize until after I purchased him that it wouldn't be an easy head-swap type of deal.

#18 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

Well... that's EXACTLY why I bought the linderman in the first place! but then there was this extra head and I thought I could modify it enough to be a passable Dougherty!

Sorry if it looks too much like Soran VF!

But the Soran I need to shave the beard and re-do the hair to be more spikey so that's what I plan to use the primary head for!

#19 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jan 12 2010, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well... that's EXACTLY why I bought the linderman in the first place! but then there was this extra head and I thought I could modify it enough to be a passable Dougherty!

Sorry if it looks too much like Soran VF!

But the Soran I need to shave the beard and re-do the hair to be more spikey so that's what I plan to use the primary head for!

It is a bugger to get rid of that beard, who uses black plastic to mould a head in?? YOU MEAN I have to change the hair TOO? Argg. I am just working on matching the skin tone, and then will consider finishing him off soon. So many customs, so many roadblocks...
Your Dougherty looks great, sorry I haven't stated that yet.

#20 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:26 AM

Ooooo! Can't wait to see your Soran Tiberius!

Yeah, re sculpting the heads can be a challenge... but the head I show above originally had a full beard and mustache. I used a dremmel to remove it and then the Apoxy Sculpt smooths out the face nicely!

I plan to do the same for a Soran head... but I'll shave the the hair off too and resculpt it... I thonk I can get McDowel to look a bit thinner by taking some off the cheeks, which I think He was for generations.

Heck if DST won't wake 'em we will right guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users