• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:47 PM

I was thinking what was I going to do with those Kira Legs...

And here they are!

The torso's aren't the same, and remember when I said I thought the Legs swap on Kira felt a bit loose? Well, it's becuase the peg on the short legs is actually a bit wider and a bit longer...

Some dremmel work was required here, and I may not have it perfected yet, but I think this look allot better.

I see now why DST didn't use the Crusher Torso, with the Trio legs... they simply aren't made for each other, but looking at Ogawa, I think Kirka would have done well in this configuration too.

#2 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

Yeah, A little more dremel work and she will look perfect. One of the things that have irked me about the TNG and DS9 figures is the different parts used across the board. almost all of the male figures have different pegs in thier legs and hips that do not allow for easy swapping. I think those legs look much better on her. Nice work.

#3 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:32 PM

Ok, fixed the little "gap" that you could previously see.

#4 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:52 PM

Oh wow! That's some nice work on Ogawa & Kira Gothneo.

They look soo much better when more the size we imagine them being.

It is a shame the parts aren't more interchangeable.

#5 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:32 AM

Amazon Ogawa no more!!!

#6 J C R

J C R

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:34 AM

That is great work!

If you have a second, can you walk me through the steps you used to do this? I am so worried I will just end up breaking mine. I have an extra Nemesis Beverly and I plan on getting an extra Kira. My goal is to change Kira and Alyssa.

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:13 AM

Sure!

1. Get a good size pot of water and bring it to a nice rolling boil.
2. Place Ogawa in the water. Let stand for at least 1 min to really soften up the plastic.
3. remove Ogawa. I suggest using tongs so you don't burn yourself.
4. Twist Ogawa at the waist 90 deg. Now you can firmly grab onto the lower part and pop off the legs.
5. If you encounter too much resistance, repeat #2 to heat it up more.
6. Repeat with DS9 Kira.
7. Ogawa's legs will fit easily into the Kira Torso.
8. Assemble Kira and place in ice cold water to firm up plastic.
9. Now, for some drilling. You need a dremmel or drill to "excavate" the Ogawa Torso hole a bit.
10. Find a bit that is smaller than the actual hole, and drill out about 1/4 of an inch.
11. Re-heat Ogawa torso if necessary.
12. Insert Kira/Troi Legs.
13. test movement.
14. If your not happy with the way the POA works, you may need to pop out the legs and drill out a bit more.
15. Repeat 14 until desired result are archived.
16. Place into cool water to firm up plastic.

#8 J C R

J C R

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:46 AM

Thanks so much!! I am still nervous I will butcher my figures but I'll give it a go!

#9 J C R

J C R

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:50 AM

I just thought of another quick question.

Do you think I can use Nemesis Beverly legs on Kira?

#10 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

They should be the same.

#11 LocutusOfTuborg

LocutusOfTuborg

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

Today I got an extra Kira I ordered from an shop here in Germany... (He Rick, whats up with your DS9 wave 2 I'm waiting for... wink.gif Let it roll in! smile.gif )

Here is my Kira - Ogawa leg-swap:

uncorrected

corrected

uncorrected

corrected

LoT

For Gothneo:
You are right, the parts do not fit as nicely as they do when using the Nemesis Troi legs... a little lip stands out (Look at Ogawas right side). (Its much more noticeable at the back of the figure, but I can live with it.)

#12 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:20 PM

You know what I did LoT? I took my dremmel and I shaved a mil or so off the Diameter of the Kira peg. Just thinned it out ever so slightly. When I reassembled corrected Ogawa, that lip got pushed completely to the back, so it's a bit more pronounced in the back, but from the front it aligns perfect now, In the end like you say it's not really a huge deal because if you pose her in any other way (e.g. twisting her torso) then you cant tell at all.

Your side by side before and after just show how out of scale they are! They look so much better after!

#13 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

Just now saw this thread... WOW.

Okay, clear this up for me: Nemesis Troi and Kira both share the same exact legs, but Troi has a different hip piece that makes her taller, right?

But, in your 'corrected' Kira, you used the Ogawa legs. Are the Ogawa legs the same as Jadzia Dax? If so, she might be a cheaper option for me to pick up and do the same Kira correction.

The figure didn't bug me until I saw your before-and-after pics, but now I gotta try that for myself.

Aaaaaaaaaaannnd.... someone please recommend the best base to use for a red-outfit Kira. There's a great custom in a different thread using the AGT Crusher. Is that pretty much the best base out there?

#14 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:35 PM

I sent Ogawa & Kira off to my customiser to have the legs swapped.

However down the track I am going to buy an extra S7 Troi & Ogawa & just do a simple head swap. Ogawa still looks a bit tall with the torso DST gave her...I'd like to see how she looks with Troi's entire body.

happy.gif

#15 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:28 PM

Matt, et al. When I saw the work done to the Kira figure on the other topic, I was thinking that, had the T'Pol figure been constructed with a 'male' head post, it would make a great base. I think it might take too much effort to mod the neck though.

#16 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (Iron-Cow @ Jun 18 2009, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just now saw this thread... WOW.

Okay, clear this up for me: Nemesis Troi and Kira both share the same exact legs, but Troi has a different hip piece that makes her taller, right?

But, in your 'corrected' Kira, you used the Ogawa legs. Are the Ogawa legs the same as Jadzia Dax? If so, she might be a cheaper option for me to pick up and do the same Kira correction.

The figure didn't bug me until I saw your before-and-after pics, but now I gotta try that for myself.

Aaaaaaaaaaannnd.... someone please recommend the best base to use for a red-outfit Kira. There's a great custom in a different thread using the AGT Crusher. Is that pretty much the best base out there?

Matt, Yep, Nemesis Troi or Kira have the same bottom leg assembly. Ogawa Legs are the same as Dax or Crusher, so go with the cheapest alternative! It's the Torso that's different on Kira & Troi, so that would be the major thing that would make (an unaltered Kira) Taller or shorter then Troi.

Basically we have Two lower body bases to choose from. The Troi Base or the Crusher base. after that, I think you'll need to get the dremmel and apoxie sculpt out, so I would save just get a S7 Crusher base and mod it.

I was hoping (waiting) for the 7 of 9 to use as a base for a Red-Outfit Kira... but those dreams have been dashed :-(

QUOTE (Tiberius @ Jun 18 2009, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Matt, et al. When I saw the work done to the Kira figure on the other topic, I was thinking that, had the T'Pol figure been constructed with a 'male' head post, it would make a great base. I think it might take too much effort to mod the neck though.

The problem with the T'pol as a base is the rubber can be difficult to paint as well as the paint would crack from any movement.

#17 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jun 19 2009, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was hoping (waiting) for the 7 of 9 to use as a base for a Red-Outfit Kira... but those dreams have been dashed :-(

I had the same idea. We really needed that Seven body. sad.gif

#18 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:27 PM

Well 7's body still exists, they wouldn't destroy the prototypes after costing them so much money to create them. I've seen it mentioned that Kira didn't wear heels that often, and in that pic it looks like she wore them so her feet wouldn't dangle. wink.gif Either way, I'd welcome them using 7's legs, as long as it got us Kira. Plus, according to imdb Visitor and Ryan are the same height.

#19 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:56 AM

That depends... they probably didn't spend the money to actually cut any molds, so... if not then the likely hood is less that we might see that 7. It's my understanding that the molds are the real expense.

I was sure that most of Kira's outfits had heels of one type or another. I could be wrong though. Good excuse to watch more DS9 episodes!

#20 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:05 AM

Nice work on the leg swaps! It's nice to see the figures at the correct height for once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users