20 replies to this topic

#1 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:37 AM

Hey...

With the original series marathon going on I am watching movie 3: The Search for Spock.

I was never hugely into customs for some reason...I preferred the figures to be official. But I'm over that now smile.gif

Playmates provided us with many of the basic bodies & heads we would need, they just didn't have the time to make the figures themselves.

So I'm thinking of making everyone in the red uniforms.

We already have Kirk, Checov & Scotty. Plus Saavik to provide the female body.

*For Spock I would imagine you'd either use the 1993 TNG Unification head or the TMP head??

*For Sulu we only have the TMP head...but it could probably be painted a bit to look older.

*For Uhura we have the TMP head with Saavik's body. The hands will need to be painted. Though I should really buy a Janeway seeing as how she was provided by Rick...is either body more accurate?

*For McCoy we have the TMP head on Checov's body should look fine?

I'd imagine we saw Chapel in the red uniforms somewhere? If so, could the Lwaxana Troi head be retooled to accomodate? Will the female red body need to be re-painted at all?

Hows about Rand...or was her only red uniform appearance in Voyager in the skirt?

For what movies did Scotty wear the uniform used on the 1993 TNG 'Relics' figure?

Cheers for any help smile.gif

#2 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:21 PM

Chapel was seen in the red uniform working at Starfleet Command during the probe emergency of The Voyage Home.

Rand, in the same style uniform, watched the Enterprise limp into Spacedock during The Search For Spock. She's also seen at Starfleet Command during The Voyage Home, but she's not wearing the traditional TWOK outfit then. Instead, it's the red outfit with the tan shoulders.

#3 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:30 PM

I think that Scotty only wore that Relics outfit in IV, V and VI.

I don't remember seeing it in TSFS, and I know it wasn't seen earlier.

#4 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Sep 10 2006, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*For Uhura we have the TMP head with Saavik's body. The hands will need to be painted. Though I should really buy a Janeway seeing as how she was provided by Rick...is either body more accurate?

It's the same body. Flashback Janeway was just Janeway's head on Saavik's body.

#5 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:00 PM

Rand was also in ST6. She was an officer under Sulu's command. She was seen again, of course, in the Voyager episode "Flashback" alongside Captain Sulu and the crew of the Excelsior. Janeway stole her uniform in that episode, so you could always use a "Flashback" Janeway figure's body for a Rand custom.

Just a note of interest about Grace Lee Whitney's appearance in ST3: she was not listed as Rand in the credits, but as an unnamed officer. Then, in ST4, we see her (credited as Rand) in an enlisted officer's uniform and not one of a commissioned officer. Which is correct as she was an enlisted crewman on TOS and she was a Chief Petty Officer in TMP. Then, in ST6, she is a commissioned officer onboard Excelsior with the rank of commander or lt. commander. I suppose it's possible. If she entered OCS immediately after the events of ST4, she could have been given a commision and reached the rank she had by the time of the last movie. It would have been a pretty fast rising career, though. But, in the end, I shows that the officer Whitney played in ST3 was not Rand as it would have broken continuity established before and after that particular film.

Scotty's uniform in "Relics" received a TNG combadge, which replaced the movie period insignia badge of the movie era. So that would be the only thing to redo for the movie custom. I think he wore the outfit very briefly in ST3 when he was onboard the Excelsior.

#6 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:33 PM

I used a Unification Spock head on a Kirk body, so I didnt have to change the rank. The TMP head was painted and looks weird, I used a Checkov with a TMP Sulu and McCoy, and an Uhura on a Saavik body. I changed the legs and tried to make a skirtted version of Uhura, it has since developed a crack from storage. I used the Saavik head on an Ilia body for a TOS Romulan commander, just gave her new hair.

#7 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE(knightone @ Sep 10 2006, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he wore the outfit very briefly in ST3 when he was onboard the Excelsior.

I don't believe so. When the Enterprise arrives at spacedock, he's in his radiation suit (or whatever that white Engineering outfit is called). After that, and for the remainder of the movie, he's in this outfit:

#8 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(knightone @ Sep 10 2006, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But, in the end, I shows that the officer Whitney played in ST3 was not Rand as it would have broken continuity established before and after that particular film.

With all due respect, I understand your logic, but that's Rand in TSFS. The filmmakers intended it to be Rand. Everyone who saw the movie at the time knew it was Rand. I'm sure Whitney thought she was playing Rand.

Whether or not it said her name in the credits, and if that is an out for an inconsistency introduced years later, it is well-established that this was an appearance of Rand.

The official site credits Whitney for "her portrayal of 'Yeoman Janice Rand' in the first season of the original Star Trek series and four films." http://www.startrek....st/bio/484.html

The costume dept on TVH screwed up. That's all.

Cheers,
Dan

#9 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:49 PM

Quite right abvout the Scotty uniform. I knew it looked similar, but wasn't sure if it was the same or not.

As far as Rand in ST3 there isn't a canon reference, not even in the credits, so it's up for interpretation. It does cause continuity problems, but then again, I'm not sure how much attention was paid to continuity in the TOS movies. There are numerous contradicions but, of course, there was no real guidelones for continuity until well into the run of TNG. And, even then, there have been continuity breaches in Trek throughout its entire history. So there's a good deal in Trek that could be up to interpretaion.

#10 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE(knightone @ Sep 10 2006, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quite right abvout the Scotty uniform. I knew it looked similar, but wasn't sure if it was the same or not.

As far as Rand in ST3 there isn't a canon reference, not even in the credits, so it's up for interpretation. It does cause continuity problems, but then again, I'm not sure how much attention was paid to continuity in the TOS movies. There are numerous contradicions but, of course, there was no real guidelones for continuity until well into the run of TNG. And, even then, there have been continuity breaches in Trek throughout its entire history. So there's a good deal in Trek that could be up to interpretaion.

I think Paramount has the ultimate say on what is canon, and they say it's Rand. (At least, right now. smile.gif ) A credit on startrek.com carries the same weight with me as an onscreen credit.

To me, that's a nice moment which only has weight because you know that this is Rand watching her former ship and shipmates return from a devastating battle. I'd rather just ignore the costuming problem than lose that moment and say she's someone who happens to look just like Rand who also happens to be moved by the return of the Enterprise.

Cheers,
Dan

#11 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:36 PM

I would use NewForce Flashback Janeway's body for Uhura. That way you don't need to mess around with painting the collar because it'll already be the purple colour that Uhura wears. Whack the TMP head on there.

I would use Chekov's body for McCoy (the TMP head - paint the collar that light green colour) and depending on what era (earlier movies or Trek 6) Sulu you want, I would use Chekov or Kirk's bods and the TMP head. Scotty is already done and you could get away with a Lwaxana head for Chapel, but you'd have to paint the collar the same green colour as McCoy's.

#12 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:05 AM

As I was watching the third movie yesterday I thought it may have been Rand in thats scene but the red hair threw me off.

I'll see if I can find some pics of a red uniform Chapel.

I was pretty sure I was going to use the Unification Spock head....I don't like the TMP finish much either.

Cheers for your help all smile.gif

#13 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:10 AM

From TVH:

#14 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:50 AM

About Rand, indeed the scene in TSFS where she watches the Enterprise coming home has no depth at all if Whitney wasn't playing Rand there. There might have been a continuity problem with her uniforms in the movies, but that's insignificant compared to what happened to the BOP Bridge from one movie to another!

#15 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:31 PM

OK, went and looked it up IMDB and they credit her as Lt. Rand. I was fortunate enough to meet her last weekend and she was very sweet. While I didn't pester her about Trek, I did thank her for coming up and taking the time to meet with us fans. Anyway, just thought I would add my thoughts on the whole canon, not canon debate too. My though is, if Berns says it's canon, it must be wink.gif

#16 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Sep 16 2006, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My though is, if Berns says it's canon, it must be wink.gif

LOL

#17 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Sep 16 2006, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, went and looked it up IMDB and they credit her as Lt. Rand. I was fortunate enough to meet her last weekend and she was very sweet. While I didn't pester her about Trek, I did thank her for coming up and taking the time to meet with us fans. Anyway, just thought I would add my thoughts on the whole canon, not canon debate too. My though is, if Berns says it's canon, it must be wink.gif

Even though both agree with me, I don't consider either IMDB or Berns authoritative on the matter.

(Though I'm inclined to say that Bernsie is pretty darn close. biggrin.gif )

#18 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:53 AM

laugh.gif You win some, you lose some...Kobayashi Maru wink.gif

#19 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE(pickard @ Sep 17 2006, 06:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't consider either IMDB or Berns authoritative on the matter.

I agree. I'm anly human and do make mistakes. And so does IMDB. Let's not forget that IMDB is NOT a site made by the movie makers. The only authority in such matters is the end credits of a movie. And if it's not in the credits, it's open to interpretation.

However I do BELIEVE Nimoy put Whitney in TSFS to give the scene an emotional depth. So if the character she played was not Rand, then the scene loses it's emotional depth.

Who cares about the rank on her uniform, who cares about the number of decks on a starship. It's fiction, it's make believe. It's story telling. The story and the emotional responce of the audience is what is important. Not the badge on someone's jacket or the decknumbers on the turbolift shaft walls.

Because if such things were important, then how does one explain the way the BOP bridge changed from TSFS to TVH?

#20 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Sep 18 2006, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However I do BELIEVE Nimoy put Whitney in TSFS to give the scene an emotional depth. So if the character she played was not Rand, then the scene loses it's emotional depth.

Agreed, 100%. You are correct, sir! (I always emphatically agree with people who are quoting me. biggrin.gif )

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Sep 18 2006, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree. I'm anly human and do make mistakes. And so does IMDB. Let's not forget that IMDB is NOT a site made by the movie makers. The only authority in such matters is the end credits of a movie. And if it's not in the credits, it's open to interpretation.

Absolutely. Please realize I was, in my own clumsy way, attempting to compliment you there Berns.

IMDB, like my other favorite site, Wikipedia, is only as good as the user updating it. Any monkey could be editing the IMDB entry for TSFS. At least with you, we know you're something of an expert.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users